T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

Again, my mention of it is based purely on the health & employment issue, not legally and politically.

By the way, I just posted a topic thread reporting how Sprint was awarded recognition for being a very good employer for people with disabilities, which while not as borderline of an issue as medical marijuana is, there are political issues regarding how much more "rights" people with disabilities have. Something which I'm very well aware of, as I have a severe disability, one which I'll never have a chance at employment, due to medical risks.

Anyways, my main objective of posting the mention of Sprint was purely to show something good they are doing, nothing political, legal, etc.

Well, here is news which some people will find interesting. Definitely something AJ and I have discussed about here in the past :

http://www.tmonews.com/2015/06/cam-leaving-post-draft/

Hopefully this means TmoNews will get someone in the U.S. who actually has T-Mobile here and will make the site more like it was when David ran it.

On another note, seems as Verizon has pretty much now officially declined any desire either to purchase Dish nor its spectrum :

http://www.thestreet.com/story/13187365/1/dish-networks-falls-on-no-verizon-suitor-comcast-rises-on-jurassic-world-box-office--telecom-winners-losers.html

So, now the options are either Dish buys T-Mobile, or Dish works with Sprint. An idea I have, if this were to mean Charles Ergen retiring and Dish changing for the better, also meaning no employee harassment nor discrimination, along with a better overall customer experience; Perhaps if Softbank were to purchase Dish, then all those above things I've mentioned were to happen, that would be interesting.

Furthermore, that would leave T-Mobile without a suitor for a while, which after the 600mhz auction takes place and if T-Mobile's take in it manages to be small in contrast to Att's and Verizon's, as Jon Legere claims will happen without an extension to the spectrum reserve, then they could appear to be in a better position to be bought by Softbank.

Of course, this all may or may not happen, or if any or all of it does, it may be in a different order. Although, I wouldn't mind seeing Dish bought out by Softbank somehow, if it meant a major change to Dish and brought in T-Mobile to the fold.

Well, here is news which some people will find interesting. Definitely something AJ and I have discussed about here in the past :

http://www.tmonews.com/2015/06/cam-leaving-post-draft/

Hopefully this means TmoNews will get someone in the U.S. who actually has T-Mobile here and will make the site more like it was when David ran it.

Now, this a post that I can actually like -- though I will not "Like" like it.  I reserve those for full moons and birthdays.

The sad part is that the comments section over at TmoNews is now a full on love fest.  Cam seems like a nice guy, and wishing him well is an appropriate thing to do.  But commenters also should honestly write that Cam was a poor fit from both technical and geographic standpoints, so it is probably for the best all around that he is moving on to other endeavors.  Let it be known that PhoneDog needs to make a sensible hire this time.

Then, several commenters have asked for moderator thepanttherlady to take over for Cam.  From a technical perspective, that would be even worse.  She has no obvious qualifications to edit a wireless focused web site.  At least, she admits in the comments that she is not a writer, so she will not be in the running.

In the end, the lack of intelligence in the TmoNews comments section is disheartening but not surprising.  Unless T-Mobile upsets the natives by removing some grandfathered plan item, the comments seem largely about loving T-Mobile and loving anyone who also loves T-Mobile.  Not much technical or critical thought in that.

AJ

• Like 7

Now, this a post that I can actually like -- though I will not "Like" like it.  I reserve those for full moons and birthdays.

The sad part is that the comments section over at TmoNews is now a full on love fest.  Cam seems like a nice guy, and wishing him well is an appropriate thing to do.  But commenters also should honestly write that Cam was a poor fit from both technical and geographic standpoints, so it is probably for the best all around that he is moving on to other endeavors.  Let it be known that PhoneDog needs to make a sensible hire this time.

Then, several commenters have asked for moderator thepanttherlady to take over for Cam.  From a technical perspective, that would be even worse.  She has no obvious qualifications to edit a wireless focused web site.  At least, she admits in the comments that she is not a writer, so she will not be in the running.

In the end, the lack of intelligence in the TmoNews comments section is disheartening but not surprising.  Unless T-Mobile upsets the natives by removing some grandfathered plan item, the comments seem largely about loving T-Mobile and loving anyone who also loves T-Mobile.  Not much technical or critical thought in that.

AJ

Still, at some point, to pay for their expansion of network and any additional spectrum buys, their users are going to pay up. The newer T-Mobile users are already paying way more than the old grandfathered users are there. Run a search on WhistleOut and see what I mean, especially if you're one of the magenta inclined posters and lurkers here. Sprint is the most affordable provider in the US right now providing the most pricing disruption. Now granted, Sprint might not be as fast as T-Mobile in many locales, but it is already trending over 10 Mbps in a lot of places on Ookla, for the first month I've seen on Speedtest, the average Sprint speedtest is above 10 Mbps. The speed gap is finally beginning to close. 

The main advantage pricing wise seems to be unlimited on their end. What's going to happen when that goes away? Honestly, I think a lot of people will feel betrayed even if their grandfathered unlimited stays in place. Look at what happened when AT&T took away unlimited as an option for new customers (even though unlimited and high speed throttled at 5GB plans still exist for legacy users). There was lots of anger over that. 

• Like 4

Interesting.  Can Dish afford to get in a bidding war with Comcast?  And even if they decide to do so and win, Comcast will drive up the price like when Dish drove up the price of Clearwire for Sprint.

Interesting.  Can Dish afford to get in a bidding war with Comcast?  And even if they decide to do so and win, Comcast will drive up the price like when Dish drove up the price of Clearwire for Sprint.

I don't think there will be a bidding war. DT stated that Dish only wanted to buy a part and they are hoping Comcast will buy the whole enchilada.

Interesting. Can Dish afford to get in a bidding war with Comcast? And even if they decide to do so and win, Comcast will drive up the price like when Dish drove up the price of Clearwire for Sprint.

No bidding war, DT has said they would prefer someone like Comcast to be the buyer. This sure sounds like it might have be set in place behind the scenes.

I don't think there will be a bidding war. DT stated that Dish only wanted to buy a part and they are hoping Comcast will buy the whole enchilada.

DT wants to get rid of T-Mobile altogether, so Comcast looks more attractive to them than Dish.  Dish has spectrum it needs to deploy and if they lose T-Mobile they won't have much leverage when negotiating with other wireless carriers to build/host a network.  Comcast and Dish are competitors so I don't think Comcast wants to help Dish with their build out requirements.  I wonder how it will all play out.

DT wants to get rid of T-Mobile altogether, so Comcast looks more attractive to them than Dish.  Dish has spectrum it needs to deploy and if they lose T-Mobile they won't have much leverage when negotiating with other wireless carriers to build/host a network.  Comcast and Dish are competitors so I don't think Comcast wants to help Dish with their build out requirements.  I wonder how it will all play out.

Ergen will be left with two choices... partner with Sprint or Verizon.

I doubt they would go with AT&T now due to the Directv tie up, and T-Mobile is out of the picture for now.

I had questioned Masa/Claure's agenda in not doing a full partnership with Dish but now it seems that they have the upper hand.

• Like 1

Ah, you all beat me to it here this morning with the news story! ☺

Anyways, I really didn't expect Comcast to be interested in T-Mobile, because T-Mobile is limited in both coverage and spectrum. Sprint or Verizon seems far more suitable for Comcast to be able to deliver their video content.

While the same argument was made about Dish, the only reason I had for disputing it, is because Dish isn't as large as Comcast and had enough spectrum of its own to add to T-Mobile for both companies' needs. Comcast doesn't really have anything to add to T-Mobile, and neither does T-Mobile have much to add to Comcast, other than a limited mobile network for its needs which of course once Comcast starts implementing its own policies to T-Mobile, there goes T-Mobile's customers, quite likely over to Sprint.

Personally, I may be leaving T-Mobile soon to go to Verizon as I've been wanting to do for some time. My mother is more favorable to the idea now than she was a month ago. Plus, she hates Comcast and would go with any other carrier before ever dealing with Comcast.

Would Comcast's video services even be a factor in owning T-Mobile? We've seen no evidence of widespread video delivery via mobile networks, and I don't see that changing anytime in the next several years.

Alright, I posted that above link, but it hasn't shown fully on here with a description in it, so I'll describe it here.

The article on ARS Technica states that Comcast is not interested in buying T-Mobile. So, hopefully they won't do so after all.

Alright, I posted that above link, but it hasn't shown fully on here with a description in it, so I'll describe it here.

The article on ARS Technica states that Comcast is not interested in buying T-Mobile. So, hopefully they won't do so after all.

It says "A source familiar with Comcast's thinking" that's too funny...

So we could all be d-bags and say we are familiar with how Dish thinks...

• Like 1

It says "A source familiar with Comcast's thinking" that's too funny...

So we could all be d-bags and say we are familiar with how Dish thinks...

It is sort of akin to someone saying "A source familiar with S4GRU's thinking, is that the website is not interested in buying HowardForums, nor is AJ of S4GRU interested in taking over the editorial content from Cam Bunton's recent departure at TmoNews."

Still, at some point, to pay for their expansion of network and any additional spectrum buys, their users are going to pay up. The newer T-Mobile users are already paying way more than the old grandfathered users are there. Run a search on WhistleOut and see what I mean, especially if you're one of the magenta inclined posters and lurkers here.

To be clear, since you quoted my post, I was referring not to T-Mobile users but to TmoNews users.  Some T-Mobile users -- especially over at T4GRU and partly at FierceWireless -- are reasonably to highly astute technical commenters.  But you do not see those guys much at TmoNews any longer.  Maybe the departure of David, hiring of Cam, and PhoneDog influence left a bad taste in their mouths, too.  So, the people left behind at TmoNews are the hoi polloi who just love them some T-Mobile.  But they do not have much new information or solid analysis to add.

AJ

• Like 2

No body wants to buy T-Mobile except Sprint. Dish cannot afford to pay all cash and DT will prefer all cash from Dish. DT will not help T-mobe with the 600Mhz auction ant it wll take many many billion to play in that ball pit. So DT and TMobile and the analysts are inventing suitors.

No body wants to buy T-Mobile except Sprint. Dish cannot afford to pay all cash and DT will prefer all cash from Dish. DT will not help T-mobe with the 600Mhz auction ant it wll take many many billion to play in that ball pit. So DT and TMobile and the analysts are inventing suitors.

I wouldn't mind Sprint buying T-Mobile, especially as that would be much better than Comcast.

It will be interesting what will happen to T-Mobile and Dish if they don't partner up. DT wants to sell off T-Mobile, and Dish has a lot of spectrum that they can't use. Would it be smart to partner up with Sprint or Verizon? Maybe so...

Here is a public service announcement I'm making to all of us here on S4GRU. I'm going to post a link to an article I've discovered online, which has some helpful advice for all of us, especially during this time where the wireless carriers are involved in such a fierce engagement with video content providers in the mergers and acquisitions tournament of sorts.

We, customers and connoisseurs of wireless are more than mere spectators, we are their prize! Well, our money is, at least. We must not let such a competition stress us out though. We must preserve our good health, or for me and some others the bit which is left of it. With that said, may this link help us all!

http://www.androidauthority.com/rumors-reality-check-617162/

To note : Sadly, the article, which gives advice about not stressing over rumors, does not mention anything regarding rumors of mergers and acquisitions, and how those kind of rumors differ than the ones they do make mention of, being rumors of devices, etc. All the same, I imagine.

• Like 1

Write Chairman Wheeler and take up the case with him. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

It's a dead horse. Let it go.

• Like 1

More news regarding the Comcast/T-Mobile merger, which now Comcast is denying any interest in merging with T-Mobile, according to Reuters, being posted by TmoNews.

http://www.tmonews.com/2015/06/deutsche-telekom-allegedly-in-talks-with-comcast-over-t-mobile-sale/

Hasn't every real merger/purchase in history started with a denial from one of the parties?  Not sure if that proves anything.  It may not happen.  I'm not saying it will.  But a denial from someone as untrustworthy as Comcast just doesn't mean much to me.  And even Reuters is saying it's from a source who would know, and he doesn't know about it.  Therefore it's not possible.  Whatever that means.

• Like 1