T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

They already have the second carrier on air across the country.

Oh really? I had no idea! Let me pretend to be surprised. I was referring to NGN (density issues). But thanks for keeping me "in the loop"...

So let me get this straight, I don't have to turn in my phone. Okay. so no contracts on T-Mobile? So why don't I activate a Boost Line, get the number assigned but no credit refill. Bring that number to T-Mobile, let them pay me $200 for coming to them and cancel next day? Repeat? Profit?

So let me get this straight, I don't have to turn in my phone. Okay. so no contracts on T-Mobile? So why don't I activate a Boost Line, get the number assigned but no credit refill. Bring that number to T-Mobile, let them pay me $200 for coming to them and cancel next day? Repeat? Profit?

In the fine print, it'll probably say you must have your line active for 45 days or something of the sorts.  (I haven't read the fine print yet.)

The $200 is a bill credit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohhh ok gotcha. That's pretty much two months of bills paid minus the EIP. But I do wonder if adding a line to an existing plan will still qualify or does it have to be a new account new plan?

T-Mobile is still more expensive than Sprint in regards to those on the old ED1500.  Until subsidy dies, those on the legacy plans will always have the best value in wireless.  Still, it is tempting, though.

As an ED1500 plan holder who is ready to jump ship to T-mobile,  everything you say is true as long as the network is in good shape.  I have the unfortunate circumstances of living next to / in a big donut hole of coverage in the suburbs.  Also, I need a 6th line and I can't add it to my plan.  

• Like 1

As an ED1500 plan holder who is ready to jump ship to T-mobile,  everything you say is true as long as the network is in good shape.  I have the unfortunate circumstances of living next to / in a big donut hole of coverage in the suburbs.  Also, I need a 6th line and I can't add it to my plan.  

I was able to get a 6th line added to my account.  I'd recommend contacting Sprint's executive team to see if they'll make an exception for you.  Marci Carris

I was able to get a 6th line added to my account.  I'd recommend contacting Sprint's executive team to see if they'll make an exception for you.  Marci Carris

I got a 6th line exception, but I'm required to secure the phone through telesales or a sprint store.  Unfortunately, they just don't have competitive pricing on 2 year agreements.  I'm looking at the $1 Best Buy Iphone 6.

I concur -- to an extent. But there is at least one hole in the data speeds theory: usage.

I think that I have offered this or a similar analogy previously. A two lane highway with little traffic moving at 65 mph can seem a lot faster than an eight lane freeway with rush hour traffic moving at 30 mph. But which one actually is more functional, which one actually is doing more work?

Constantly seeking out the fastest wireless network data speeds is like playing "Whac-A-Mole." If many gravitate to that so called fastest network, then it soon will no longer be the fastest network. Thus, move on to the next network that previously got unloaded and became the fastest. The cycle perpetuates itself.

AJ

I just don't know if wireless networks are 1 to 1 comps to highways. I think a better analogy would be ramping up capacity in the areas where large amounts of people are congregated first, even though that isn't likely to generate higher speeds tests per se. Right now I would actually rate VZ a little better than T-Mobile at this given VZ has come out and said that their focus is to deliver capacity where it is needed first while T-Mobile seems to care more about the speed test crown over more consistent results. That's the entire issue with Ookla BTW - their data set will swing urban because of crowd sourcing, T-Mobile zero rating SpeedTest, and Verizon charging data for SpeedTest. That distorts that sample a bit.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I just don't know if wireless networks are 1 to 1 comps to highways. I think a better analogy would be ramping up capacity in the areas where large amounts of people are congregated first, even though that isn't likely to generate higher speeds tests per se. Right now I would actually rate VZ a little better than T-Mobile at this given VZ has come out and said that their focus is to deliver capacity where it is needed first while T-Mobile seems to care more about the speed test crown over more consistent results. That's the entire issue with Ookla BTW - their data set will swing urban because of crowd sourcing, T-Mobile zero rating SpeedTest, and Verizon charging data for SpeedTest. That distorts that sample a bit.

more than just a bit, I'm my opinion it makes Ookla speed test crown nearly meaningless... Look at fast speed tests data usage some are 100 plus Megs, who in their right mind would blow through 10 of those every month if costs you money, either overages or needing a higher data plan? Not only is it white listed but it's prioritized. In my opinion that's no better than Samsung when they set their cpu to over clock for all performance testing. It's not representative of real world experience.

• Like 1

I can't believe we managed to ignore the tweet storm that Marcelo put out today for T-Mobile.

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2015/11/sprint-ceo-takes-to-twitter-to-defend-company-against-t-mobile.html

Haha, every metrics except speed, really. Just wish Sprint had a way for simultaneous talk/data. It really does wonders when Sprint's rural coverage is still more consistent with ~20k less macros than T-Mobile.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 2

What's with it with T-Mobile and unreliable SMS/MMS?

"Upgrade to a device with RCS is the new stock answer", never mind that RCS is used by almost no one. Maybe that would work when Verizon and AT&T implement RCS interoperability with TMo, but I know that Verizon and AT&T don't like to do half baked releases.

I realize AT&T has RCS now but it's only on the S6 Active and S5 Mini.

I got a 6th line exception, but I'm required to secure the phone through telesales or a sprint store. Unfortunately, they just don't have competitive pricing on 2 year agreements. I'm looking at the $1 Best Buy Iphone 6.

Can you add a line with an existing owned device, then go to Best buy and get the "upgrade"?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Can you add a line with an existing owned device, then go to Best buy and get the "upgrade"?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I think this is probably the best bet.

And on that note, is it possible to transfer an upgrade to another line on your account? And if so, how would you go about doing that?

Haha, every metrics except speed, really. Just wish Sprint had a way for simultaneous talk/data. It really does wonders when Sprint's rural coverage is still more consistent with ~20k less macros than T-Mobile.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Yea, VoLTE would be awesome.

Sent from my SM-N910T

Sent from my Nexus 5X

It's because of the "horrible CDMA".

• Like 3

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Most of those ~20K macros are in urban settings.

• Like 1