T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

They have not done it because they need it for capacity. When they stop needing it for capacity they will use it for coverage.

We have 2xB41 and 20-30 MHz worth of band 25 live. I would say that is no longer a valid claim.

• Like 1

Again. There is no b25 CA. There are expanded 10x10 carriers or two b25 carrier (5x5+5x5 or 10x10+5x5) but no CA.

That's what I meant. Eventually, 15x15+1x5 of band 25 in markets where Sprint has 15x15 A-F blocks.

My friend in Hawaii gets 100mb on Tmobile.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Core Prime on MetroPCS using Tapatalk

Location matters. Look at root metrics for Honolulu. They're killing it there.

In Maui it doesn't. Sprint is killing it on Maui.

I used to be pulling 40Mbps down and now I can barely pull 7Mbps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T-Mobile might be inadvertently accelerating the end of their spectrum runway with BingeOn here? 

I'd be interested to see Ookla results, but the idiots took down their NetIndex service. 

T-Mobile might be inadvertently accelerating the end of their spectrum runway with BingeOn here?

I'd be interested to see Ookla results, but the idiots took down their NetIndex service.

I don't know. I'm not convinced it will yet. We have to remember that we aren't the average customer. I'm willing to bet most T-Mobile customers didn't even read the email they sent out. Auto opt in was done for a reason. Plus you have to think about the "honeymoon phase". BingeOn isn't going to create new video watchers alone. The same people are going to be watching video over LTE as before.

• Like 1

I don't know. I'm not convinced it will yet. We have to remember that we aren't the average customer. I'm willing to bet most T-Mobile customers didn't even read the email they sent out. Auto opt in was done for a reason. Plus you have to think about the "honeymoon phase". BingeOn isn't going to create new video watchers alone. The same people are going to be watching video over LTE as before.

T-Mobile so far has raised $4 billion out of the $10 billion they need, however.. There are even more players now in the game for the 600Mhz auction which leaves me to question.. Will T-Mobile even walk out with 10Mhz or will they be left with 5Mhz again

Location matters. Look at root metrics for Honolulu. They're killing it there.

In Maui it doesn't. Sprint is killing it on Maui.

I used to be pulling 40Mbps down and now I can barely pull 7Mbps

Agreed that location matters, west maui is the opposite of central maui in that respect. Tmo most is pretty fast (for a 10x10), or rather its not overloaded, apart from maybe 1 area just past KOR.

I still don't like BingeOn, for all the obvious Net Neutrality issues. But rationally, I don't see T-Mobile's spectrum getting hit because of BingeOn.

Most of T-Mobile's so-called "giveaways" don't actually cost T-Mobile any significant amount money. That's how they're sustainable, they *look* expensive, but are actually really cheap. (Music Streaming, International Benefits, Data Rollover, etc). BingeOn seems to fit that pattern. 

I suspect T-Mobile's available speeds will slowly drop in the future, but due to new subscriber growth, and not because of BingeOn. If anything, BingeOn buys them more time to handle more subscriber growth on their existing spectrum -- it's essentially a 33% throttle on a regular user's most network-intensive activity. That should free up a lot of spectrum and backhaul at a near-zero cost.

• Like 2

Agreed that location matters, west maui is the opposite of central maui in that respect. Tmo most is pretty fast (for a 10x10), or rather its not overloaded, apart from maybe 1 area just past KOR.

Checkout this,

71ef3ab2baeb629eceabbe1db21deec3.jpg

e940791d8713e1ed15aff28de85bd8a2.jpg

Checkout this,

71ef3ab2baeb629eceabbe1db21deec3.jpg

e940791d8713e1ed15aff28de85bd8a2.jpg

That central maui, thats pretty fast for tmo in central maui. I was agreeing with you :) but that its the opposite on west Maui. You can normally hit 15+mbps at peak times on west maui, lucky to hit a tenth of that in central maui at peak times. Just as Oahu is different to 'maui' maui itself is different west to central. It will be interesting to see how sprints network develops here. 

I found a picture of your mother, Arysyn:

TinfoilHat.jpg

Seriously, you need to get out from under her thumb.  Have you given up power of attorney to her?  If you can type a coherent response to this post -- and I know that you can -- then you should retain your own power of attorney.

Regardless of your illness, you can control certain aspects of your life.  And wireless service is not one of those major life choices that should necessitate intervention by your mother.

AJ

Thank you for the advice, AJ, along with others here who've responded.

Currently, I'm typing at my aunt's computer, as I'm at my aunt's and no longer have my T-Mobile device. The other day I got her to agree to get Verizon, since she wouldn't use the SSN number on the account setting and since she's already been upset about the Experian thing, she wasn't happy about that. Now I haven't been here on S4GRU for a few days until now, which from reading here it sounds as if the setting has been changed to allow it to be turned on/off without the SSN. I believe that, but it was told to us differently by the T-Mobile Executive Relations. I blame T-Mobile for telling us what they did, and again while I believe those here on S4GRU, it didn't help matters with T-Mobile saying differently, which my mother is going to take their word for it.

Also, while I appreciate your advice, AJ, and you are right about it, just as many other people who've consulted me, I literally feel trapped. I don't have access to my SSN, my banking accounts, and she won't allow me to have my own credit card. I contacted the police one evening a few years ago after her and I had an argument about it, as I know it is important for me to build a line of credit. She handles all of my disability payments that she and her family who've never treated me well for many years, have some sort of banking trust I don't have any access to. I wasn't (and still am not) happy about this, along with the credit card issue, so we had a really bad argument I figured would be resolved by having the police over, when she gave them some sort of sob story of how much she cares about me not having identity theft if someone stole my credit and how she thinks its more secure for her to pay for what I need, granted she gets to decide that. Basically and without going into a huge explanation of personal history here, as I respect this site's focus on technology, not a personal counseling site, I've had people tell me after I've gone into everything in my memory of things that have and are still happening to me, that they are surprised I'm still living, and not just physically-related.

Anyways, she did switch to Verizon, and everything seemed to be working fine with it, but after leaving the store, she just got really extra pissy about everything and is going to cancel. I'm upset about it, as I was really impressed about the speed and the coverage at my aunt's when we took what we got at Verizon over here, but she was constantly complaining. So now I don't have a device and this is really bad, as its a risk if something happens to me without a way of contact.

Thank you for the advice, AJ, along with others here who've responded.

Currently, I'm typing at my aunt's computer, as I'm at my aunt's and no longer have my T-Mobile device. The other day I got her to agree to get Verizon, since she wouldn't use the SSN number on the account setting and since she's already been upset about the Experian thing, she wasn't happy about that. Now I haven't been here on S4GRU for a few days until now, which from reading here it sounds as if the setting has been changed to allow it to be turned on/off without the SSN. I believe that, but it was told to us differently by the T-Mobile Executive Relations. I blame T-Mobile for telling us what they did, and again while I believe those here on S4GRU, it didn't help matters with T-Mobile saying differently, which my mother is going to take their word for it.

Also, while I appreciate your advice, AJ, and you are right about it, just as many other people who've consulted me, I literally feel trapped. I don't have access to my SSN, my banking accounts, and she won't allow me to have my own credit card. I contacted the police one evening a few years ago after her and I had an argument about it, as I know it is important for me to build a line of credit. She handles all of my disability payments that she and her family who've never treated me well for many years, have some sort of banking trust I don't have any access to. I wasn't (and still am not) happy about this, along with the credit card issue, so we had a really bad argument I figured would be resolved by having the police over, when she gave them some sort of sob story of how much she cares about me not having identity theft if someone stole my credit and how she thinks its more secure for her to pay for what I need, granted she gets to decide that. Basically and without going into a huge explanation of personal history here, as I respect this site's focus on technology, not a personal counseling site, I've had people tell me after I've gone into everything in my memory of things that have and are still happening to me, that they are surprised I'm still living, and not just physically-related.

Anyways, she did switch to Verizon, and everything seemed to be working fine with it, but after leaving the store, she just got really extra pissy about everything and is going to cancel. I'm upset about it, as I was really impressed about the speed and the coverage at my aunt's when we took what we got at Verizon over here, but she was constantly complaining. So now I don't have a device and this is really bad, as its a risk if something happens to me without a way of contact.

That's a shame Verizon didn't work out for you. They're running what looks essentially like a contract and device payment buyout right now. http://tinyurl.com/q8zmmm3
  • Like 1

This is what Binge on encourages.f0da4578eb6121a8edb095f9536ce84d.jpg

Not that it's wrong, but it's definitely using a lot of bandwidth.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Stream on my brotha...stream on.

• Like 1

That central maui, thats pretty fast for tmo in central maui. I was agreeing with you :) but that its the opposite on west Maui. You can normally hit 15+mbps at peak times on west maui, lucky to hit a tenth of that in central maui at peak times. Just as Oahu is different to 'maui' maui itself is different west to central. It will be interesting to see how sprints network develops here. 

Sprint at all times of the day even night, I'll be still pulling 40+Mbps.. Location don't matter one bar or five.

Tmo was fast back then when I had my phone line with them, now too many people jumped on and enjoying their video freedom and music freedom slowing the network down to crap.

Even at the mall (Queen K) I showed the manager the speed problem, they offered me to call retention's department for a discount, Hah screw that I ported to Sprint

• Like 1

Shoots, queen k? That's all the way over in the city :) tmo is poor beyond belief there but has been for a few years. West maui is far better, just waiting for sprint to being some more lte love over here. Central maui, south maui and even some upcountry got some love, kihei even got spark, but west maui got a single site upgraded. There's basically no lte from the pali up past wahikuli / Lei alii which is weird. They covered Kaanapali and that's pretty much it. Hopefully they will come back and upgrade some more.

• Like 1

Even at the mall (Queen K) I showed the manager the speed problem, they offered me to call retention's department for a discount, Hah screw that I ported to Sprint

Good  B)

But according to some magentans, 1 megabit is good enough. That's all "big" pink owes you. VZW, AT&T and Sprint must offer you 100 and 40 up at least, but 1-10 down and whatever up is okay from T-Mobile.  ;)

Edited by cortney

What sort of backwards congestion is this!

(image snip)

LOL! Maybe a whole bunch of magentans running the upload portion of a speedtest at the same time? Or everyone uploading their speed tests at the same time? Or they don't like you?