T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

LOL! Maybe a whole bunch of magentans running the upload portion of a speedtest at the same time? Or everyone uploading their speed tests at the same time? Or they don't like you?

Nah man T-Mobile is the best company in da world look at these blazing speeds m9 /sarcasm

711fd25f55ce93172e306a5d87976915.jpg

52532e2bccf0733b587fbd3ecdaf96ae.jpg

4285c4ccc3d9a2ef33cc505c6fe9dfce.jpg

LTE was disabled on the iPhone 6s, Sprint Plus/Spark would have humiliated T-Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just a note.

The same forum rules regarding speedtest images apply to this thread as well. Posting image after image of slow threads is not allowed. Make posts constructive at least.

• Like 1

What sort of backwards congestion is this!

I would not say that is "backwards."  Yes, we often see the downlink speeds fall below the uplink speeds because of more downloading than uploading during periods of network congestion.  But those depicted speeds look about normal for a somewhat weak signal and a moderately loaded network.

Also, keep in mind that -- due to lower order modulation and lack of MIMO -- the max uplink speeds will be one half that of the max downlink speeds.  And that is just in theory.  In real world performance, I would say that one third is more typical.

AJ

Nah man T-Mobile is the best company in da world look at these blazing speeds m9 /sarcasm

Just another reason I don't go visit all you city folk ;) Plus you aren't even safe in Panda these days.

The congested upload is a weird one. With the exception of volte use is wildly asymmetrical, even with the efficiency of the upload link not being as high there should still be a massive disparity between the amount of free capacity on upload and download links. An upload link being congested without a congested download is very weird indeed. Perhaps everyone uploading video to mauiwatch at the same time?

• Like 1

Well atleast here I can post my slow speedtest's without getting it downvoted by the magentianites on reddit

Even if it's a VALID problem, the magentianites will trash it, While they have no problem going to the Sprint subreddit and trashing them on their congestion issues also

Well atleast here I can post my slow speedtest's without getting it downvoted by the magentianites on reddit

Even if it's a VALID problem, the magentianites will trash it, While they have no problem going to the Sprint subreddit and trashing them on their congestion issues also

Plus here theres usually someone with an answer like AJ.

What lots of people fail to recognize is that their experience doesn't reflect everyone elses. I have an experience of tmo and sprint that is diametrically opposed to yours, but both are totally valid, we live in different places. Thankfully s4gru is an oasis of sense on the internet, and a rare one at that. 

• Like 1

Plus here theres usually someone with an answer like AJ.

What lots of people fail to recognize is that their experience doesn't reflect everyone elses. I have an experience of tmo and sprint that is diametrically opposed to yours, but both are totally valid, we live in different places. Thankfully s4gru is an oasis of sense on the internet, and a rare one at that. 

I also emailed John about the slow speeds and overall congestion throughout any time of the day unless it's like 12.

This was 7 Months ago, no improvements so far. While I can go to Kehei or Lahaina and start pulling 40Mbps

I also emailed John about the slow speeds and overall congestion throughout any time of the day unless it's like 12.

This was 7 Months ago, no improvements so far. While I can go to Kehei or Lahaina and start pulling 40Mbps

You get 40mbps in Lahaina? Theres no LTE on sprint in Lahaina according to sprint. Did they turn the tower up on the shores? I hope so as they really needed to cover lahaina and napili to properly serve west maui. Their map is still showing they only converted the one tower up by the suites so only kaanapali \ honokowai got lte service.  

You get 40mbps in Lahaina? Theres no LTE on sprint in Lahaina according to sprint. Did they turn the tower up on the shores? I hope so as they really needed to cover lahaina and napili to properly serve west maui. Their map is still showing they only converted the one tower up by the suites so only kaanapali \ honokowai got lte service.

There's two sites lit with 800, 1900 LTE one is near Aston and one is near some store.

However there's now permits rolling in for a 2.5 conversion there.

No idea what happened to our permit guy TechSmurf but I guess I'll be the guy who keeps track now of permits

• Like 1

There's two sites lit with 800, 1900 LTE one is near Aston and one is near some store.

However there's now permits rolling in for a 2.5 conversion there.

No idea what happened to our permit guy TechSmurf but I guess I'll be the guy who keeps track now of permits

Great news! Both sprints coverage map and sensorly show no lte in lahaina so thats great news if they have turned it up on lahaina shores (next to 505 front street, the shops you mentioned). A friend insisted we meet for a drink at fleetwoods about 4 months ago and his sprint phone had no lte. They only really need to upgrade the royal kahana site and they have covered most of the west side. 

I was watching permits a couple of years ago, are they still using roger alworth for their designer for most stuff? I can try help keep track with you. 

Great news! Both sprints coverage map and sensorly show no lte in lahaina so thats great news if they have turned it up on lahaina shores (next to 505 front street, the shops you mentioned). A friend insisted we meet for a drink at fleetwoods about 4 months ago and his sprint phone had no lte. They only really need to upgrade the royal kahana site and they have covered most of the west side.

I was watching permits a couple of years ago, are they still using roger alworth for their designer for most stuff? I can try help keep track with you.

I haven't seen any permits without roger so far.

I would map, but I have an iOS device and I don't think you can map on that.

I was at kaanapali beach hotel, was getting pretty good speeds on LTE on band 25, I only dropped to 1 bar of band 26 inside but outdoors was 1-3 bars fluctuating.

The site by DT Flemmings, it's a Nextel build.. There's a permit for a conversion to 800, 1900 and 2500.

I'm also almost positive they'll convert that WiMAX site on Dairy Road.

• Like 1

I haven't seen any permits without roger so far.

I would map, but I have an iOS device and I don't think you can map on that.

I was at kaanapali beach hotel, was getting pretty good speeds on LTE on band 25, I only dropped to 1 bar of band 26 inside but outdoors was 1-3 bars fluctuating.

The site by DT Flemmings, it's a Nextel build.. There's a permit for a conversion to 800, 1900 and 2500.

I'm also almost positive they'll convert that WiMAX site on Dairy Road.

The site by DT, you mean the one in the parking lot up by sanseis? Yeah thats a short pole right now. Its great facing up north and makai but sadly doesnt get back behind the hill down towards napili. Napili area is served by the royal kahana site I think which is awaiting a permit. Lets hope they get that done as with their spectrum they will be in a killer position. They have the potential to deliver a faster service to a wider area than even verizon (should they get a couple of sites in east maui). 

I was shocked how bad verizon is here for speed, they have reasonable coverage unless you are travelling to or from east maui. I love how their map just totally lies about coverage out north and by kaupo. When your map makes tmos look accurate you have issues. 

The site by DT, you mean the one in the parking lot up by sanseis? Yeah thats a short pole right now. Its great facing up north and makai but sadly doesnt get back behind the hill down towards napili. Napili area is served by the royal kahana site I think which is awaiting a permit. Lets hope they get that done as with their spectrum they will be in a killer position. They have the potential to deliver a faster service to a wider area than even verizon (should they get a couple of sites in east maui).

I was shocked how bad verizon is here for speed, they have reasonable coverage unless you are travelling to or from east maui. I love how their map just totally lies about coverage out north and by kaupo. When your map makes tmos look accurate you have issues.

Yup, That one PM'd you the permit link

What I'd like to see is native sprint coverage in Hana.

I wonder why T-Mobile and sprint isn't there currently in the first place?

Well hey, the point was taken. Luckily most people in this community know the reality of all 4 carriers.

I'm quite amused how quickly this new gimmick is bogging down the network in certain areas already. I'm presuming it will even show up in some 1H and 2H RM reports.

This is what Binge on encourages.f0da4578eb6121a8edb095f9536ce84d.jpg

Not that it's wrong, but it's definitely using a lot of bandwidth.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

now you can drop to the 3gig tier saving you money and costing t mobile money.

now you can drop to the 3gig tier saving you money and costing t mobile money.

And because more people will be streaming since it doesn't account for data usage. Congestion will occur costing T-Mobile even more money to erect new sites.

If YouTube is added, why even pay more?

I can get a kid a cheapo LG Leon with the 3GB package, Give him Netflix, Hulu and Youtube (Added soon)

He uses 30Gigs from streaming cause it's free, where does T-Mobile make money from that?

The higher tier packages wouldn't even matter anymore, Music streaming is free, Video streaming is free..

And here's the kicker, Now tether your tablets and laptops for free and you can also bingeon with those additional devices, WAY to suck even more bandwidth!

As Marcelo stated, #cringeon

Might even put satellite companies out of business such as Hugesnet, Cause now you can pay $30 for a T-Mobile Hotspot and bingeon the whole household!

If too many things are free, where's the revenue?

• Like 3

And because more people will be streaming since it doesn't account for data usage. Congestion will occur costing T-Mobile even more money to erect new sites.

If YouTube is added, why even pay more?

I can get a kid a cheapo LG Leon with the 3GB package, Give him Netflix, Hulu and Youtube (Added soon)

He uses 30Gigs from streaming cause it's free, where does T-Mobile make money from that?

The higher tier packages wouldn't even matter anymore, Music streaming is free, Video streaming is free..

And here's the kicker, Now tether your tablets and laptops for free and you can also bingeon with those additional devices, WAY to suck even more bandwidth!

As Marcelo stated, #cringeon

Might even put satellite companies out of business such as Hugesnet, Cause now you can pay $30 for a T-Mobile Hotspot and bingeon the whole household!

If too many things are free, where's the revenue?

Because it will all magically work out in T-NeverNeverLand, everything is perfect. Even terrible speeds and many areas with no 3G fallback. Because it's all for the customer. And they really care. They're not for money, they're for the customers and pain points. Yeah, that's it.  ;)

Sorry with the sarcasm, but this is just another long loophole. I like your post because it illustrates very well how this can and will turn into a mess. I also agree: how will it make money? 

Because it will all magically work out in T-NeverNeverLand, everything is perfect. Even terrible speeds and many areas with no 3G fallback. Because it's all for the customer. And they really care. They're not for money, they're for the customers and pain points. Yeah, that's it. ;)

Sorry with the sarcasm, but this is just another long loophole. I like your post because it illustrates very well how this can and will turn into a mess. I also agree: how will it make money?

Mhm, Yeah I love T-Mobile and it's core but I don't like what John is doing.. He should have stopped with Music Freedom..

Atleast Music, Pandora each song is like what? 3-8Mb? Bursts of high-speed data.

While as the new video service is a constant stream at 480P, Multiply that times a hundred in a given area.

My data speeds was WAY faster before this Binge On mess started. Initially I thought Great they're implementing a throttle on video which SHOULD help with congestion, but then they've made streaming video free which does the opposite and now INTRODUCES more congestion.

Numbers wise too, Where does T-Mobile make it's money if the $95 Plan user uses 30gigs

While the 3GB user with Binge On uses 50Gigs

• Like 4

I think T-Mobile has done an incredible job on their marketing to get as many people to think they are the best, in spite of their coverage limitations compared to the big two providers. That said, they still have a lot of work to do on coverage and probably need to get more spectrum to keep their advantage on urban speeds.

• Like 1

I think T-Mobile has done an incredible job on their marketing to get as many people to think they are the best, in spite of their coverage limitations compared to the big two providers. That said, they still have a lot of work to do on coverage and probably need to get more spectrum to keep their advantage on urban speeds.

AWS-3 in the pipeline, along with LTE-LAA (if properly utilized) should provide enough capacity for the near term. They still have PCS spectrum left for refarming as well.
  • Like 1

Stupidity on both sides. Don't add to it.

Sent from my SM-N910T

That's a shame Verizon didn't work out for you. They're running what looks essentially like a contract and device payment buyout right now. http://tinyurl.com/q8zmmm3

Actually, I like Verizon, but my mother started getting very weird about it after leaving the store. She's cancelling it, and I'm without a phone now. I can't even do much online now, as its difficult for me sitting up or long at the computer, hence why I'm not posting much here since. The only thing I've got her interested in is the Kyocera Duraforce XD, which should be on AT&T soon. I took your advice, gus back when you wrote about the Freelancer idea months ago, which despite a store back then denying it, my mother stopped at another AT&T store the other day which seemed willing to accept the membership I had got way back after reading your post then. Although, they sad they wouldn't do the 20gb for $100.

Since I've been a Uverse customer for several years, is there any advice you have on getting it through AT&T retentions?

What sort of backwards congestion is this!

89a17615615466845f19eda4bb738eed.jpg

Just for reference I think it's worth noting you are using HSPA+ here and not LTE, which explains the 'poor' upload speeds, because we are used to seeing massive upload speeds thanks to the joys of wide LTE channels and the efficiencies of LTE's reverse link in comparison to HSPA.

HSPA+ tops out at around 5 Mbps up in perfect lab conditions, and is really rare to see anything above 4 in optimal (late at night, extremely high signal) conditions.

Essentially, it's not congestion, it's poor signal and the limitations of HSPA+.

• Like 1

Just for reference I think it's worth noting you are using HSPA+ here and not LTE, which explains the 'poor' upload speeds, because we are used to seeing massive upload speeds thanks to the joys of wide LTE channels and the efficiencies of LTE's reverse link in comparison to HSPA.

HSPA+ tops out at around 5 Mbps up in perfect lab conditions, and is really rare to see anything above 4 in optimal (late at night, extremely high signal) conditions.

Essentially, it's not congestion, it's poor signal and the limitations of HSPA+.

Same also on LTE, mate.