Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I call on my phone daily. Maybe 20 somethings don't use calling, but I use at least 500+ minutes / month, mostly for work. 

I totally agree.  For most if not all consumers, wireless phone calls are still more important than data.  

• Like 2

Sprint's (S) Management Presents at Bank of America Merrill Lynch Leveraged Finance Brokers Conference (Transcript) http://seekingalpha.com/article/3733776?source=ansh $S

Sprint money guy talks about the progression of CA, the lease company money which they got yesterday in the books, roaming costs which he hates. However he didn't talk about the densification project.

• Like 5

Sprint's (S) Management Presents at Bank of America Merrill Lynch Leveraged Finance Brokers Conference (Transcript) http://seekingalpha.com/article/3733776?source=ansh $S

Sprint money guy talks about the progression of CA, the lease company money which they got yesterday in the books, roaming costs which he hates. However he didn't talk about the densification project.

At about the 15 minute mark he does mention densification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

His comments on "fast cars" (NASCAR) and Network Branding were spot on. What a money pit that is.

The biggest problem I see with Root Metrics for Sprint in the future...is that the voice score will likely become less and less important. People don't talk as much now, thus it's becoming less and less important. Sprint has fantastic voice coverage now, but it may not matter for much longer.

Ive never been able to understand the depicted coverage on the voice map. Even when it was legacy cdma 1900mhz only (prior to NV) the map showed considerable swaths of no coverage between sites on interstates and highways in South MS where i most certainly never roamed and could hold a call without drop. I always figured it was the benefit of cell breathing as a result of very low users per site

For a shopper worried about voice, Sprint's native voice maps still seem understated. If they could show LTE coverage the same as they show voice (ahem, tmo... Atleast per the casual users perception) that would be far more impressive, whether it was true or not.

Tmo has got its users feeling warm and fuzzy about its coverage, no matter how overstated or simplified it is now being depicted

• Like 1

Ive never been able to understand the depicted coverage on the voice map. Even when it was legacy cdma 1900mhz only (prior to NV) the map showed considerable swaths of no coverage between sites on interstates and highways in South MS where i most certainly never roamed and could hold a call without drop. I always figured it was the benefit of cell breathing as a result of very low users per site

For a shopper worried about voice, Sprint's native voice maps still seem understated. If they could show LTE coverage the same as they show voice (ahem, tmo... Atleast per the casual users perception) that would be far more impressive, whether it was true or not.

Tmo has got its users feeling warm and fuzzy about its coverage, no matter how overstated or simplified it is now being depicted

Sprint's Coverage Map page needs a complete redesign. I wouldn't mind it if they incorporated T-Mobile's Verified Coverage Feature using Sprint Zone or other background processes.

• Like 4

I could never say for sure but I always thought that was odd. Sprint's cell spacing didn't seem that bad along interstates in the area you mentioned but the maps show dots spread out with roaming in between. If that truly is understated coverage then I'm sure it isn't helping with their perception there.

Sprint's Coverage Map page needs a complete redesign. I wouldn't mind it if they incorporated T-Mobile's Verified Coverage Feature using Sprint Zone or other background processes.

First they need to make Sprint Zone an app you can download from the Play Store because I can't get it ever since I purchased the Nexus 6.

• Like 9

I turned off that layer because it said the whole area is shown as GREAT LTE Plus/Spark.  That's nowhere near accurate and I've reported this area via the app a number of times.  I think Phoenix is a "spark" market (or LTE plus if they are calling it that now) however the map doesn't show any light yellow in this area.

I've zoomed in on Phoenix B41 coverage and it appears they didn't use a light yellow layer at all.  They just put the dark yellow over all B41 coverage.

Definitely "no bueno." I root for Sprint everyday but little things like this make me wonder who in the hell they have managing these projects. Talk about food for naysayers. Geez.

Use the Vertigo effect and you'll see it. I zoomed my browser out to 25% and zoomed in to the coverage map, and there's definitely light yellow scattered about.

wqZoNJo.png

However, you can see from the sharp cutoff in the corner that this market is using an overlay mask. I've seen that in quite a few places, particularly in Texas:

Z1w7fWQ.png

My favorite exaggeration is the mythical 12-mile LTE radius used frequently in Louisiana:

QK6s9JH.png

They clip the 3G projection exactly the same way, which is why you don't see it extending past the LTE projection other than where there are still 3G-only sites.

Click the preview images for 1920x1080 captures.

• Like 1

First they need to make Sprint Zone an app you can download from the Play Store because I can't get it ever since I purchased the Nexus 6.

Magentans and other Sprint haters would abuse it with false reports.

AJ

• Like 1

You have to find a current apk and then you can manually install it. Personally I think a stand alone app for this would go over better to the general public.

Although on a tangent, device and os version should be an field you can add.

• Like 1

I totally agree.  For most if not all consumers, wireless phone calls are still more important than data.

I call on my phone daily. Maybe 20 somethings don't use calling, but I use at least 500+ minutes / month, mostly for work.

The biggest problem I see with Root Metrics for Sprint in the future...is that the voice score will likely become less and less important. People don't talk as much now, thus it's becoming less and less important. Sprint has fantastic voice coverage now, but it may not matter for much longer.

10 years ago.  Now, people do not call as much anymore.  It is all about the data.

Many underestimate the importance of call reliability, particularly in an age where, more and more, people will forego landlines and use the cellular networks as their primary method of voice communication.

A significant amount of churn during Network Vision was due to dropped or blocked calls. I almost left myself at that time because (unbeknownst to me before discovering S4GRU) the mix of legacy and modern equipment in my area was causing me to drop calls on an almost daily basis -- handover between the two just didn't work.

Take a look at what Claure said about this very topic last year:

Claure digs through ex-customers' comments to rebuild Sprint

"One of the things I've been doing a lot now is when I'm staying late in the office is listening to conversations of why customers are leaving," Claure said Wednesday at Wells Fargo Securities' Technology, Media & Telecom conference in New York City. "I haven't had a single customer say 'I'm leaving you because you didn't have 35 megabits per second data speeds. I'm leaving you because you dropped my calls. I'm leaving you because I couldn't establish a data connection.' We're going to focus on fixing the basics."

Consumers, what research tells us, don't care about LTE, or gigabytes of data. 'I want to have my phone and I want it to work.' I'm committed to making sure Sprint becomes the easiest brand to do business with."

• Like 8

Magentans and other Sprint haters would abuse it with false reports.

AJ

If this was the case, wouldn't the iOS version of Sprint Zone available on Apple's App Store be subject to this?

Doesn't it require a Sprint NAI to submit a report?

You could feasibly filter out reports from non-Sprint NAI's and non-Sprint phone numbers.

• Like 1

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nick-cannon-joins-radioshack-as-chief-creative-officer-300186936.html

Um, seems like General Wireless has some control over RadioShack hires.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Wow. These creative director positions never seem to pan out. Just ask Alicia Keys about BlackBerry...

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/2/5266838/blackberry-and-singer-alicia-keys-part-ways

Worth a read: http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/10/30/overqualified-ashton-kutcher-nabs-job-as-lenovos-new-product-engineer/

There’s a long tradition of companies aligning themselves with celebrities, not merely as pitchmen but in more figurehead roles. Justin Timberlake became a creative director for Bud Light Platinum, Lady Gaga the creative director of Polaroid, will.i.am the director of creative innovation for Intel, and Alicia Keys the global creative director for BlackBerry — which was somewhat dramatic considering that she was caught tweeting from the iPhone she said she’d given up after her title was publicly announced.

I don't think this is good. I just don't know if Sprint's senior leadership thinks this is a good idea. Maybe Standard General still has too much control? I hate these partnerships. Sprint if anything needs more direct control of their branding and experience.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

You have to find a current apk and then you can manually install it. Personally I think a stand alone app for this would go over better to the general public.

Although on a tangent, device and os version should be an field you can add.

Even if it installs, it still doesn't work properly AFAIK.

I found this a very interesting response

Because I am very conscious of the fact by – that by December ‘16 and March ‘17, we have two bond maturities that come due. And it’s really, really, really important that we take the cost out, that’s why we are – we gave that target of achieving this $2 billion of cost reductions on the full year ‘16 exit basis to make sure that we have sufficient momentum in our own operations to be able to partially repay or entirely repay what is going to come due

• Like 2

"It’s been visible city by city across the United States whether you look at Chicago, you look at Denver and many other cities we are making considerable progress. And the lever that we have pulled relative to the past is to finish Network Vision. And what does that actually mean is that we have made most of it – the vast majority of our sites to be tri-bands. You recall that Sprint was running different platforms over the years and we had essentially use of the spectrum that was limited to one band or two. So, we now – we use the 2.5 gigahertz spectrum pretty much everywhere and with the sites being all tri-bands, then you can spread the load of the traffic across all bands of the spectrum that you have. And that is really important because you can get with the 2.5 spectrum, a lot more capacity. And as you have a lot more capacity, you can have a much better customer experience."

Is he talking about Chicago because we all know at best only 45% of all Sprint sites are triband and capacity issues are still very real in way to many cities.

• Like 1

"Is he talking about Chicago because we all know at best only 45% of all Sprint sites are triband and capacity issues are still very real in way to many cities.

Not one 2.5 site in the SC side of my market outside of a couple protection sites, I would say my State as well, but we have a few that bleed in from Charlotte up north.

This Wimax injunction can't be helping but jeez, feels like this should have many more results to show by now. I recall a great post by S4GRU explain how an overlay should have taken say about a year to get to, say in comparison with Tmo LTE rollout over their HSPA network. Since backhaul has been laid and is scalable that beast was slain in NV 1(mostly). I understand the Wimax conversion went rather quickly, the gear is already there. Supply issues were handled a while ago.

I understand 6-12 mo to fund, plan, and bring to market but somewhere along the line, someone just said stop. It really builds the impetus for completion this coming year, excited for it to pan out.

How is capacity there?

The network is fairly sparse, so that takes a hit right there. We have the standard band 25, 26 on many sites. The largest problem is we saw(Myrtle Beach area) about 18 million visitors for the season from May until November, so it is a crawl sir.

In the off season, NV brought the network to very usable in many parts, pre NV we always just figured hey a couple hundy thousand people are in town that's how it is. Unfortunately 26 is capacity here so it does not handle that other aspect of the few cells being overloaded.

• Like 1