Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I don't think many of them would go out of their way that much.

You underestimate the extremism of Magentans and Sprint haters.  They will go to great lengths -- it is like their religion.  They seem to live by one or two extra commandments:

• Thou shalt love thy T-Mobile.
  • Thou shalt cast out evil Sprint.

Maybe those extremists are limited to a few hundred of the most vocal individuals on the Web.  Let us hope so.  But I would not count on that.  The number could extend into the thousands.  And many of them like to recruit others or suggest anti Sprint actions.

AJ

• Like 2

How?  Wouldn't Sprint just disallow reports from users without a Sprint/Clear MCCMNC?

I may be posting from a position of ignorance.  Never used Sprint Zone.  Do not want it.  Do not care.

But Sprint Zone can be used to report locations of no native Sprint coverage, correct?  The handset would be roaming, thus could be on a different MCC-MNC at the time that the report is gathered.

So, if that is what you are referencing, it would not close the loophole.  And this is Sprint, after all, so expect loopholes.

AJ

I may be posting from a position of ignorance.  Never used Sprint Zone.  Do not want it.  Do not care.

But Sprint Zone can be used to report locations of no native Sprint coverage, correct?  The handset would be roaming, thus could be on a different MCC-MNC at the time that the report is gathered.

So, if that is what you are referencing, it would not close the loophole.  And this is Sprint, after all, so expect loopholes.

AJ

And Sprint doesn't roam on T-Mobile, so if a T-Mobile MCCMNC came through, that would obviously not be a real Sprint phone.

- Trip

• Like 1

You underestimate the extremism of Magentans and Sprint haters. They will go to great lengths -- it is like their religion. They seem to live by one or two extra commandments:

• Thou shalt love thy T-Mobile.
  • Thou shalt cast out evil Sprint.
Maybe those extremists are limited to a few hundred of the most vocal individuals on the Web. Let us hope so. But I would not count on that. The number could extend into the thousands. And many of them like to recruit others or suggest anti Sprint actions.

AJ

Even if I got the Sprint Zone APK, I question if it would even load. I am not going to try downloading or running it either.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I think AJ has a point. If there are fans of another carrier around the world who act like the T-Mobile people who we dub the Magentans, I'd like to see it.

I'm not talking your rank and file T-Mobile user either. I'm speaking of the hard core Internet trolls on Twitter and Reddit. It is iSheep-esque but Apple is way higher rated on quality per customer satisfaction overall if you look at subjective scoring from JDPower and Consumer Reports.

I don't think most would go as far as rooting their devices, installing the Sprint Zone APK, and submitting false mark the spot reports. That said I wouldn't be surprised if a few tried.

Just find me one carrier globally with fans like this. One. I can find lots of carriers in places like Australia, Canada, and the UK that are faster than T-Mobile on Ookla. Actually all down under and in Canada rank higher, and both EE and 3 are faster in the UK than T-Mobile is here. Vodafone and O2 are very close speed wise, both are within 1.5 Mbps of T-Mobile's average.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I think AJ has a point. If there are fans of another carrier around the world who act like the T-Mobile people who we dub the Magentans, I'd like to see it.

Yes.  And, per usual, some do not see my point -- or do not want to concede my point.  But it is somewhat ironic that they post their disagreement here at S4GRU.  More on that at the end.

If people go back and read, I did not single out Magentans specifically.  I put the context as Magentans and Sprint haters.  Those two groups can overlap, but they do not necessarily overlap.  They are not one and the same.  Quite a few Sprint haters are VZW subs, AT&T subs, former Sprint subs, or even current Sprint subs.

That brings me back to the irony.  For those of you who contend that animosity, even negative action toward Sprint is not a big deal, not a problem, thanks for playing.  But you are wrong.  You are not posting this at SprintUsers, not Sprint Community, not HowardForums, etc.  No, you are posting at S4GRU, which exists as a standalone site in large part because the existing web sites had become an unproductive, non educational cesspool of Sprint negativity and trolling.  Robert, the founder of S4GRU, will back that assertion.  If the problem did not exist, then S4GRU likely would not exist by itself.

AJ

• Like 10

That is quite impressive. I am certain that number is lower in my market, so hopefully Baltimore has some juicy NGN densification coming soon!

• Like 2

It does not work in latest version of Firefox. What browser (and version) did you test that on? Thanks.

It was written in Chrome.

EDIT:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/46.0.2490.80 Safari/537.36

It was written in Chrome.

EDIT:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/46.0.2490.80 Safari/537.36

Okay that worked. Sorry for the confusion, but a note along with the script could be useful in the future.

Thanks.

That transcript goes into far greater detail than any earnings call I've read (skimmed). I'm also impressed by robbiati's public speaking ability. He was very articulate and honest. Def could be a CEO someday. 

• Like 1

It requires and collects much more information than that as part of the reports, which is why it doesn't work on non-Sprint firmware out-of-the-box. Per my previously-linked post, if you have root filesystem access, you can hard-code the required values into the appropriate XML file; but said information is extremely account-specific, so good luck to any non-subscriber who wishes to forge it for false reporting.

The reports themselves are reviewed on the other end by real people. I've actually had Oklahoma City call me about reports filed through the app so that they could open a ticket and have an engineer follow up; this eventually led to a macro site being physically adjusted to fix a real coverage issue.

At any rate, the T-Mobile PCC map shows signal data collected at the firmware level by CarrierIQ and speed test data from Ookla; and correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe it only shows verified coverage, not verified issues.

Even if I got the Sprint Zone APK, I question if it would even load. I am not going to try downloading or running it either.

The Sprint Zone apk partially works on both my 5 and my 5X with no special workarounds. Billing/usage info and spec details don't work, but the report function does.

EDIT: Forgot to answer these. The billing/usage info actually works correctly with the aforementioned modification.

8jJMX1Y.jpg

• Like 14

EDIT: Forgot to answer these. The billing/usage info actually works correctly with the aforementioned modification.

Are you talking about this post?

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6604-newest-sprint-zone/?p=382306

I went back a few pages in this thread and didn't see anything new. I have this a shot but it would wipe the values over again upon launching the app when it says "loading". Not sure what else I can do on the Nexus 5x.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Are you talking about this post?

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6604-newest-sprint-zone/?p=382306

I went back a few pages in this thread and didn't see anything new. I have this a shot but it would wipe the values over again upon launching the app when it says "loading". Not sure what else I can do on the Nexus 5x.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Force close the app before you overwrite the file.

Speaking of the coverage maps, they're now showing LTE Roaming (subject to caps) and LTE Roaming+ (counts as on-network) coverage as shades of teal.

http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?INTNAV=LeftNav:More:CoverageMap#!/

Looking at the map, it looks like CSpire is active (as Roaming+) in Mississippi and around Mobile, AL. There seems to be a bunch of light teal (Roaming) in NC, VA, and WV, as well as Maine and other bits of New England and lots of the Midwest (USCC?). I'm not so familiar with partners in other areas, but there is also substantial Roaming+ in Kansas (particularly west of I-135) and central Washington state.

Around my neck of the woods, nothing seems to be active with SouthernLINC but I suppose that's not surprising since I doubt they have much LTE ready yet and even where they do, there's not any voice fallback available presumably unless they're deploying it on Sprint's spectrum.

• Like 2

Speaking of the coverage maps, they're now showing LTE Roaming (subject to caps) and LTE Roaming+ (counts as on-network) coverage as shades of teal.

We already have been discussing and dissecting for the last hour and half.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7203-sprint-roaming-coverage-map-update/

The article is in the editing stage and will be up on The Wall within the next hour.

AJ

We already have been discussing and dissecting for the last hour and half.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7203-sprint-roaming-coverage-map-update/

The article is in the editing stage and will be up on The Wall within the next hour.

Sorry, I didn't look at that thread before posting here :(

But, yay, LTE roaming! :)

• Like 1

Looking at the map, it looks like CSpire is active (as Roaming+) in Mississippi and around Mobile, AL. There seems to be a bunch of light teal (Roaming) in NC, VA, and WV, as well as Maine and other bits of New England and lots of the Midwest (USCC?). I'm not so familiar with partners in other areas, but there is also substantial Roaming+ in Kansas (particularly west of I-135) and central Washington state.

Around my neck of the woods, nothing seems to be active with SouthernLINC but I suppose that's not surprising since I doubt they have much LTE ready yet and even where they do, there's not any voice fallback available presumably unless they're deploying it on Sprint's spectrum.

I keep waiting on my wife to get the "new" phone they have for SOLINC but she hasn't been back on day shift since October 31 to pick up a phone. When she does get this new phone, it'll be able to see their partner networks supposedly..plus maybe I can pinpoint where they have a couple of towers...

• Like 1

So... Anyone been deprioritized yet? I'm noticing slightly better speeds near me where they were originally sub 1mbps, but now are 4-5. I'm wondering if some users on the sites are affected and it's getting me a better experience.

Sent from my Nexus 5X