Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Also, which is the current best performing rf devices, and is the S6 at least better rf than say Sprint's budget and mid-range devices?

I'd stay away from Samsung for Sprint. Since the S4, Samsung has gotten worse and the latest phones don't show much promise.

For a person like yourself. I would purchase a phone from the Nexus line. The latest Nexus 6 works with all major carriers and can be swapped with very little hassle.

The Nexus line (whether from Motorola or LG) also boasts some of the best rf performance for Sprint.

Edited by greenbastard
  • Like 3

If there's enough outcry, AT&T could also remove it after a few months. More corporate nonsense. Past example from the king: 

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2011/12/29/144444008/verizon-will-charge-2-to-pay-bill-online-or-by-phone

Hopefully.  But history also tells us that Verizon may just adopt the $15 activation fee on financed devices and indulge a new nickel and dime duopoly norm. Verizon's already ditched the "trade in for a new device" part of its device financing program, so ATT can still go farther. 

• Like 1

Yeah all they need to do is dismantle DC-HSPA leaving one WCDMA carrier and shut down the 2G that almost nobody uses and they'll have another 10x10 LTE carrier.

I'm sure this will happen by early next year too.

Sounds like a good plan on T-Mobile's part. They really ought to do this sooner rather than later though. They need it, considering all the unlimited data they're selling. The stores around here are usually pretty crowded.

I'd stay away from Samsung for Sprint. Since the S4, Samsung has gotten worse and the latest phones don't show much promise.

For a person like yourself. I would purchase a phone from the Nexus line. The latest Nexus 6 works with all major carriers and can be swapped with very little hassle.

The Nexus line (whether from Motorola or LG) also boasts some of the best rf performance for Sprint.

Good recommendations, but I'm at least going to wait and see how the Note 5 is reviewed for its rf, which if it isn't too good, I'll either wait a bit for the new Nexus, or what I'm really hoping for, is that the Sharp Aquos xx, which I read was passed by the FCC, makes it to Sprint. It looks very similar to the Sony Xperia Z3+ I wanted to get, plus it has the same waterproof features, I've heard.

Also, I read that the Sharp Aquos Crystal did very well with rf, so hopefully the Aquos xx will be similar in rf quality to that, and be available on Sprint, as it is for Softbank.

Good recommendations, but I'm at least going to wait and see how the Note 5 is reviewed for its rf, which if it isn't too good, I'll either wait a bit for the new Nexus, or what I'm really hoping for, is that the Sharp Aquos xx, which I read was passed by the FCC, makes it to Sprint. It looks very similar to the Sony Xperia Z3+ I wanted to get, plus it has the same waterproof features, I've heard.

Also, I read that the Sharp Aquos Crystal did very well with rf, so hopefully the Aquos xx will be similar in rf quality to that, and be available on Sprint, as it is for Softbank.

The Sprint variants of the Galaxy Note 5 (SM-G920P) and Galaxy S6 Edge+ (SM-G928P) showed up at the FCC yesterday.

• Like 2

I think Sprint is a big sponsor for the Gold Cup soccer tournament being played right now. 

Yes, tons of Sprint ads on Univision during the tournament.

Unfortunately the Kansas City MLS team has their jersey sponsorship tied up until 2022.

But I would certainly love for umproved service at the Red Bull stadium

Anyone see that AT&T jacked up all their activation fees? Highway robbery.

• Like 2

Also, which is the current best performing rf devices, and is the S6 at least better rf than say Sprint's budget and mid-range devices?

I've heard the Nexus 5 is a stellar RF performer, and the Sharp Aquos as well.  Both of those are sub-$200 now.  The LG G2 is also decent, and you can get that from BestBuy for $149.99 now brand new.

Not sure if anyone seen this article on FierceInstaller? Just found this perusing around....It's old, almost a month, but figured i'd bring it back to light...Who knows..lol

http://www.fierceinstaller.com/story/report-sprint-deploy-70k-small-cells-nationwide-help-network-partner/2015-06-29

• Like 2

Sprint's #AllIn ad earned a 9.0/10 effectiveness rating according to ispot.tv

https://twitter.com/ispottv/status/621734624159379456

Now that some of the furor has died down over the compression policies, I'm convinced it's a good ad that's simple and makes the point (with celebrity soccer legend tossed in to get people's attention.)

Oh, and if you're reading this Mr. Paul, you're more than welcome on S4GRU. 

• Like 5

I can not wait for the circle jerk that results from this.     http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/blog/special-reports/2015-1h-airport-us

Note:

" The good news for Sprint customers, however, is that the network showed across-the-board improvement in reliability. We were able to connect to Sprint’s network in more than 97% of tests at 31 airports, compared to only 21 airports in our last round of testing. And we were then able to complete our web/app task more than 97% of the time at 34 airports, compared to 28 last time."

​Definitely still room for improvement in the speed area, but they are getting there.

• Like 7

I can not wait for the circle jerk that results from this.     http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/blog/special-reports/2015-1h-airport-us

Note:

" The good news for Sprint customers, however, is that the network showed across-the-board improvement in reliability. We were able to connect to Sprint’s network in more than 97% of tests at 31 airports, compared to only 21 airports in our last round of testing. And we were then able to complete our web/app task more than 97% of the time at 34 airports, compared to 28 last time."

​Definitely still room for improvement in the speed area, but they are getting there.

This is shocking to me. I wonder why this is the case? Sprint service isn't even AVAILABLE at 19 of the nation's top 50 airports? That's a problem. I hope they address this expeditiously. I'm sure Marcelo and upper management are already aware of and have read this article.
  • Like 5

This is shocking to me. I wonder why this is the case? Sprint service isn't even AVAILABLE at 19 of the nation's top 50 airports? That's a problem. I hope they address this expeditiously. I'm sure Marcelo and upper management are already aware of and have read this article.

I've said this 1000 times. Sprint can get some quick network wins in Airports. It's a self-contained area. Lots of people pass through from all over the world. It's an easy place to gain a great reputation or lose it...

With reports like these, Sprint is losing it.

For starters, Marcelo needs to sit down with the administrative folks at the 50 airports on this list and put a Triband DAS in each one. Period.

• Like 10

I've said this 1000 times. Sprint can get some quick network wins in Airports. It's a self-contained area. Lots of people pass through from all over the world. It's an easy place to gain a great reputation or lose it...

For starters, Marcelo needs to sit down with the administrative folks at the 50 airports on this list and put a Triband DAS in each one. Period.

Knowing that this report exists, it seems like that might be a worthwhile investment. Just a few months of improvement could see a complete 180 on Sprint's performance in the top 50 airports, at least. Imagine everyone's shock if Sprint just cleaned house in the next iteration of this report...
  • Like 7

Agreed.  Also, I'd imagine most of the airports do have a DAS system in place that's already built out, so it should be relatively quick to latch on to what's already there.

• Like 2

Knowing that this report exists, it seems like that might be a worthwhile investment. Just a few months of improvement could see a complete 180 on Sprint's performance in the top 50 airports, at least. Imagine everyone's shock if Sprint just cleaned house in the next iteration of this report...

This is what has to happen, or it'll be more of the same next time this report comes around.

I'm sorry, but this report is flat out embarrassing. Hopefully it's enough to get management moving on this... quickly.

• Like 8

No, you are misreading that stat, somewhat understandably, as the writing is vague.  Because of FAA regulations, underground areas, RF unfriendly construction, and mass passengers, airports are difficult to serve.

But some level of Sprint service definitely is available at all 50 top airports.  It is ludicrous to think otherwise.  At 31 of those airports, the Sprint connection rate is greater than 97 percent.  At the other 19 airports, the Sprint connection rate is less than 97 percent.  That is what the quote actually stated/implied.

Look at the included graph.  What does 26 + 16 + 8 equal?  What does 41 + 9 + 0 equal?  50.

AJ

• Like 5

I just happened to stumble across this site and was amazed at the hate being spewed...

If you want to keep your sanity, stay away from that site far away, it isn't sprintusers any more, it has become troll bait and abusers. Take my word, it isn't worth the pain going there.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

No, you are misreading that stat, somewhat understandably, as the writing is vague.  Because of FAA regulations, underground areas, RF unfriendly construction, and mass passengers, airports are difficult to serve.

Then what explains the other carriers having much faster speeds than Sprint across the board?

But some level of Sprint service definitely is available at all 50 top airports.  It is ludicrous to think otherwise.  At 31 of those airports, the Sprint connection rate is greater than 97 percent.  At the other 19 airports, the Sprint connection rate is less than 97 percent.  That is what the quote actually stated/implied.

Look at the included graph.  What does 26 + 16 + 8 equal?  What does 41 + 9 + 0 equal?  50.

AJ

Sprint's connection results might be fine, but the data throughput is terrible. Whatever the other carriers are doing here, they're doing it better.

To quote directly from the Report:

Sprint didn’t win a RootScore Award in any airport during this round of testing (in the second half of 2014, it earned one RootScore Award). The good news for Sprint customers, however, is that the network showed across-the-board improvement in reliability. We were able to connect to Sprint’s network in more than 97% of tests at 31 airports, compared to only 21 airports in our last round of testing. And we were then able to complete our web/app task more than 97% of the time at 34 airports, compared to 28 last time.

The biggest performance drawback for Sprint is speed, which continues to trail those of the other networks. As our speed distribution chart shows, Sprint’s speeds consistently fell into the slowest range. Whether looking at download or upload, no network had more markets fall into the 0-5 Mbps range. Moreover, Sprint's download speeds never exceeded 15 Mbps and upload speeds never surpassed 10 Mbps. 

The bottom line: Sprint’s reliability enhancements deserve praise but the network still has room to improve when considering speed.

• Like 1

Then what explains the other carriers having much faster speeds than Sprint across the board?

Pardon me?  What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?  I addressed a misconception that JonnygATL made in interpreting the RootMetrics results.  He incorrectly interpreted that Sprint had no service at 19 of the 50 top airports.  Now, you are moving the goalposts to data speeds.

However, if you want to know why the other three have faster data throughput at airports, it is because their primary LTE is low band and/or mid band.  For Sprint, its "big pipe" is high band, band 41, and that is going to take some time to get into airports.

Sprint's connection results might be fine, but the data throughput is terrible. Whatever the other carriers are doing here, they're doing it better.

No, the data throughput is not "terrible."  That is hyperbole.  Sprint may be in fourth place, but 6.8 Mbps downlink, 3 Mbps uplink is very usable service -- especially for being in such high traffic settings as airports.  Sure, the data speeds can be improved, and they will be improved.

Finally, your last several posts are unduly negative, bordering on trolling.  I suggest that you chill out.

AJ

• Like 4

Knowing that Sprint partnered with Boingo, I have a lot of doubts that Sprint will try to improve their network speeds at airports. Why go through the trouble when you already have a partner that provides your customers with Wifi (at the 35 airports that Boingo has service at)?

• Like 2