Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

When I look at all the carriers, the only one that makes me feel confident for the future regarding a stable and plentiful spectrum being available for their customers' usage, is Sprint. Their b41 spectrum is amazing and works very well where it is available.

The only issue I see as a challenge for Sprint with b41, is getting the network densified enough for it to be massively available currently. Once the network is densified enough though, this will show itself to be great for Sprint. It is spectrum that is mostly nationwide, unlike the market by market holdings of AWS the other carriers have such a various amount of depending where they've invested in more or less.

I've mentioned this before, but I'm very disappointed in how spectrum auctions are done. I'd much rather see the FCC take all the spectrum, dividing it equally and giving the portions valued at what has already been paid back to the carriers, but in a much more equal amount to their competitors.

I'm going to do some research next week on all the spectrum bands. Then I'll create a new thread for giving my ideas about this and other topics, while having the thread be an open place for everyone to share ideas, regardless of realities in the market, just as long as nothing said is too far fetched, such as unlimited data for $5 monthly, etc.

• Like 2

You sum up the situation with Sprint nicely. Hard spectrum to deploy but if they can execute FAST it will become a great network. However until that day....

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Fact is Sprint will not let you out of contract even if you have unusable data. As long as your not roaming your SOL.

That is incorrect. I know several people, and have seen several posts here about other members that have been let out of their contract for poor and unusable service.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Slightly off topic but has anyone else been going longer between phone upgrades or is it just me and my friends/are we just getting old?

I used to get a new smartphone every year or so but now I am still on my Nexus 5 and my wife is on her iphone 5 and we are pretty happy. I guess for me there are diminishing returns for the expense of a new phone. My only real want is a better camera but my N5 has what I consider decent battery life.

The N6 didn't hold my interest long due to price and size but maybe the next N5 will be something that I get. Maybe my buying habits have just permanently changed now that I am not getting subsidized phones and instead buying them outright so I've become more price conscious.

Slightly off topic but has anyone else been going longer between phone upgrades or is it just me and my friends/are we just getting old?

I used to get a new smartphone every year or so but now I am still on my Nexus 5 and my wife is on her iphone 5 and we are pretty happy. I guess for me there are diminishing returns for the expense of a new phone. My only real want is a better camera but my N5 has what I consider decent battery life.

The N6 didn't hold my interest long due to price and size but maybe the next N5 will be something that I get. Maybe my buying habits have just permanently changed now that I am not getting subsidized phones and instead buying them outright so I've become more price conscious.

I would think a lot of people are. Carriers have pushed subsidies out to two years and if your financing a phone you have gone from paying 200 a year of so for a phone to 325 ish. Phones have gotten more expensive so people hold on to old ones longer.

• Like 1

I must have a magical phone or go only parts in this city where Sprints network is just fine, because my experience is opposite of yours in Orlando, "edit: and a lot of the state". I drive from one end of the city to another (literally) just for work and do not drop LTE once (while streaming spotify the entire time). I have LTE inside most restaurants. I surprisingly have LTE inside of Regal Waterford Cinemas in some of the theater auditoriums on B41. I have excellent LTE in downtown. I have excellent LTE over here in Avalon and okay LTE in most parts of Waterford. I have "mediocre" LTE over in Metrowest and Universal area. Disney has excellent LTE as many users have said before. The Millenia area could use some help especially around the mall area.

I have LTE almost the entire drive down 520 to cocoa. I have LTE the entire drive from the beginning of 408 to I4 to Millenia, or further Disney. I have decent LTE over in cocoa and cocoa beach, and Merrit Island until I get to my sisters house which is in a weird spot anyways where not even ATT has signal. I've been to Miami and had consistent LTE with an iPhone 5s which was over a year ago now so surely its improved even more. I've been to Jupiter and Palm Beach Gardens and West palm beach and had mostly consistent LTE with decent speeds, even when on b25...and the site spacing is horrible down there (at least in my opinion). I was just in San Francisco and suprisingly had great and usable service throughout the areas I visited, despite the fact that the West coast suffered with late NV upgrades. I had excellent service in Seattle. I had okay airport service in Arizona and Denver where my flights connected. 

I don't argue that b41 needs to be densified to release some of the strains on b25 and b26 and to just increase overall capacity, but I just can't agree with the consensus that Orlando, and the rest of Florida apparently, has an inconsistent network. I just don't see that. Almost everywhere I go, I have from okay to excellent service. Nothing really every falls into the horrible service category. I know in no way does my experience  represent the entire network, but going off of your logic Terrell, your experience in your home city does not represent the entirety of Florida...and most importantly Sprint's entire nationwide network. We can all go back and forth about me experience vs yours, but the fact of the matter is that it varies nationwide. It always has, and it probably always will. One thing that confuses me though is how our experiences are somewhat opposite in Orlando. 

• Like 7

Yes, my experience is similar. Phones are a lot better than they used to be. I'm feeling less and less need to upgrade each year.

If there was any easy way to swap out new modems / radios, I wouldn't really feel the need to buy new phones at all. Since there isn't, getting new LTE Bands / CA / other network improvements is really the only reason I buy new devices anymore.

• Like 3

I think the model of moving to financing plans instead of subsidy and offering a lower bill once the phone is paid off is going to keep a lot of people on phones longer.  Before, you were kinda foolish to not upgrade as soon as you could because you were paying the subsidy as part of your plan no matter what.  Now if you keep your phone once it is paid, you get to pay the lower rate.  So now there is more incentive for many to keep phones longer. 

• Like 6

I think the model of moving to financing plans instead of subsidy and offering a lower bill once the phone is paid off is going to keep a lot of people on phones longer.  Before, you were kinda foolish to not upgrade as soon as you could because you were paying the subsidy as part of your plan no matter what.  Now if you keep your phone once it is paid, you get to pay the lower rate.  So now there is more incentive for many to keep phones longer. 

What's funny is on the ED1500, even without upgrading, it is still cheaper per line, per month than people that BYOD to Sprint w/ a new line.  I've been sitting on two upgrades for awhile now and we're still spending ~$45/month per line.

• Like 6

What's funny is on the ED1500, even without upgrading, it is still cheaper per line, per month than people that BYOD to Sprint w/ a new line.  I've been sitting on two upgrades for awhile now and we're still spending ~$45/month per line.

I'm curious how and when those plans are going to be phased out.

Currently, 3/5 lines on our ED1500 went with the Sprint Loyalty credit of ~$15/month on a lease.  That credit continues per line even when the 3 lines renew their lease (new phone in a couple years).

I'm tempted to move the other two lines to the credit as well because I'm wondering if the subsidies will disappear.

Currently, 3/5 lines on our ED1500 went with the Sprint Loyalty credit of ~$15/month on a lease.  That credit continues per line even when the 3 lines renew their lease (new phone in a couple years).

I'm tempted to move the other two lines to the credit as well because I'm wondering if the subsidies will disappear.

I will ride this plan until it dies. I might give up my 2 year upgrade for a lease if the next iPhone seems worth it, but I probably won't. Or ill just take my brothers gf's upgrade since she seems to be just fine with her 5s and doesnt really want a bigger phone...since I have a feeling we won't be seeing another 4" screen for a while.

• Like 1

Currently, 3/5 lines on our ED1500 went with the Sprint Loyalty credit of ~$15/month on a lease. That credit continues per line even when the 3 lines renew their lease (new phone in a couple years).

They're really trying to push the loyalty credit. I've called about network issues twice in the past month and both times I was offered the credit to lease a phone.

What would actually happen to my ED1500 plan if I were to take the credit? Could I go back to using the subsidize if I return the leased phone?

They're really trying to push the loyalty credit. I've called about network issues twice in the past month and both times I was offered the credit to lease a phone.

What would actually happen to my ED1500 plan if I were to take the credit? Could I go back to using the subsidize if I return the leased phone?

Nothing happens to the plan,  You would be billed for the lease ranging from about $18 to $25 (depending on the device you choose), and you would receive a $15 credit on the account.  Interestingly enough, Best Buy offers a $19 loyalty credit to Sprint members.

Yes.  Given subsidized phones still exist, you would be allowed to go back.

Again, I'm just wondering if subsidies would disappear.  If I had the loyalty credit on the plan, the plan would still remain an incredible value.  Plus, we received a $100 gift card from best buy when we got a Galaxy S5, Note 4, and LG G4 with the loyalty credit.

Nothing happens to the plan, You would be billed for the lease ranging from about $18 to $25 (depending on the device you choose), and you would receive a $15 credit on the account. Interestingly enough, Best Buy offers a $19 loyalty credit to Sprint members.

Yes. Given subsidized phones still exist, you would be allowed to go back.

Again, I'm just wondering if subsidies would disappear. If I had the loyalty credit on the plan, the plan would still remain an incredible value. Plus, we received a $100 gift card from best buy when we got a Galaxy S5, Note 4, and LG G4 with the loyalty credit.

I'm sitting on an upgrade as well, but don't want to use it quite yet. Since all indications are that subsidies are going the way of the Dodo, sooner rather than later, I figure I hold onto my upgrade until Sprint announces the imminent death of subsidized pricing, and use it then to buy the best phone available at the time. Until then, the new Moto X doesn't look like a bad investment at $399 unlocked.

Worse deal for 10GB, but with the 40GB for $20 more they match T-Mobile's current 4 line 10GB/line for $120/month.

Does this mean the $15 per line access fee is no longer a "promotion" that will end? Is it permanently $100 or 120 a month?

Edit: Up to 4 lines for $100/month with 10 GB offer, $120/month with 40 GB. Both offers include $15 access charges per line/per month waived for life as long as you're enrolled in the plan.

So looks like it is permanent! Pretty good deal...matches T-Mobile's new family plan offer.

That is incorrect. I know several people, and have seen several posts here about other members that have been let out of their contract for poor and unusable service.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Not the case with me.

Not the case with me.

It may not be the case for you, but the wireless industry is moving away from contracts.  People currently need not stay with any carrier.

Buy a 'universal' Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure, or unlocked Sprint iPhone 6 (Plus), and BYOD to Sprint.  If Sprint starts to slow down in your area, take your 'universal' device to a different carrier.

• Like 1

It may not be the case for you, but the wireless industry is moving away from contracts. People currently need not stay with any carrier.

Buy a 'universal' Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure, or unlocked Sprint iPhone 6 (Plus), and BYOD to Sprint. If Sprint starts to slow down in your area, take your 'universal' device to a different carrier.

I have a nexus 5 and 6 but I bought them from Sprint. Nexus 6 was priced to high to buy straight out. My nexus 5 is paid for but the screen is extremely damaged from my son dropping it.

I have a nexus 5 and 6 but I bought them from Sprint. Nexus 6 was priced to high to buy straight out. My nexus 5 is paid for but the screen is extremely damaged from my son dropping it.

Yes, it is definitely a different mentally that must be had: If people want to avoid contracts and all the headaches they bring (like you mentioned in your previous posts), buy straight out or don't buy at all.

I'm not sure, but there would be the option to pay off the phone and then be able to leave Sprint, right?

Yes, it is definitely a different mentally that must be had: If people want to avoid contracts and all the headaches they bring (like you mentioned in your previous posts), buy straight out or don't buy at all.

I'm not sure, but there would be the option to pay off the phone and then be able to leave Sprint, right?

Yes. I recently paid off my Sprint phone so they would unlock it. No problem at all. I actually did it all through chat support.

Yep. I have 2 lines on installments. Would cost 800 to get them off. 2 tablets that would cost 200 to get them off. I'm not paying $1000 just to leave a carrier. I'd rather give back all of my tablets and phones and maybe pay off the nexus 6 since its the only device that will work on other carriers.

• Like 1

I must have a magical phone or go only parts in this city where Sprints network is just fine, because my experience is opposite of yours in Orlando, "edit: and a lot of the state". I drive from one end of the city to another (literally) just for work and do not drop LTE once (while streaming spotify the entire time). I have LTE inside most restaurants. I surprisingly have LTE inside of Regal Waterford Cinemas in some of the theater auditoriums on B41. I have excellent LTE in downtown. I have excellent LTE over here in Avalon and okay LTE in most parts of Waterford. I have "mediocre" LTE over in Metrowest and Universal area. Disney has excellent LTE as many users have said before. The Millenia area could use some help especially around the mall area.

I have LTE almost the entire drive down 520 to cocoa. I have LTE the entire drive from the beginning of 408 to I4 to Millenia, or further Disney. I have decent LTE over in cocoa and cocoa beach, and Merrit Island until I get to my sisters house which is in a weird spot anyways where not even ATT has signal. I've been to Miami and had consistent LTE with an iPhone 5s which was over a year ago now so surely its improved even more. I've been to Jupiter and Palm Beach Gardens and West palm beach and had mostly consistent LTE with decent speeds, even when on b25...and the site spacing is horrible down there (at least in my opinion). I was just in San Francisco and suprisingly had great and usable service throughout the areas I visited, despite the fact that the West coast suffered with late NV upgrades. I had excellent service in Seattle. I had okay airport service in Arizona and Denver where my flights connected.

I don't argue that b41 needs to be densified to release some of the strains on b25 and b26 and to just increase overall capacity, but I just can't agree with the consensus that Orlando, and the rest of Florida apparently, has an inconsistent network. I just don't see that. Almost everywhere I go, I have from okay to excellent service. Nothing really every falls into the horrible service category. I know in no way does my experience represent the entire network, but going off of your logic Terrell, your experience in your home city does not represent the entirety of Florida...and most importantly Sprint's entire nationwide network. We can all go back and forth about me experience vs yours, but the fact of the matter is that it varies nationwide. It always has, and it probably always will. One thing that confuses me though is how our experiences are somewhat opposite in Orlando.

Never said Sprint was bad in Orlando just more inconsistent with data than the others.

• Like 1

Never said Sprint was bad in Orlando just more inconsistent with data than the others.

Like I said. I haven't noticed this. There are times when I have service and people with tmobilen or att next to me do not. The inconsistency is something I don't see, but to each there own I guess?

Sent from my iPhone 6 usinf Crapatalk

• Like 3