Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

1 hour ago, Paynefanbro said:

T-Mobile lost their speed crown to AT&T. Sprint passed Verizon and is only 500kbps behind T-Mobile.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/04/03/atandt-has-the-fastest-wireless-network-in-the-us/

The more interesting takeaway for me is that they're all fast, all good and pretty on par with each other in terms of speed. That's pretty big for Sprint to be included in that group. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JonnygATL said:

The more interesting takeaway for me is that they're all fast, all good and pretty on par with each other in terms of speed. That's pretty big for Sprint to be included in that group. 

Well it's AT&T's "analysis" of Speedtest data so I don't think this data is entirely accurate. It could be but I'm suspicious. 

Yeah but I can't find the report directly from Ookla. It's AT&T's "analysis" which they could've put a spin on.

The official report isn’t out, but “the findings come from third party network-testing company Ookla, which cited AT&T's top average US download speed at 40.7Mbps.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

T-Mobile lost their speed crown to AT&T. Sprint passed Verizon and is only 500kbps behind T-Mobile.
https://www.engadget.com/2019/04/03/atandt-has-the-fastest-wireless-network-in-the-us/
I'm really confused by this. It was just couple of days ago, I saw that 5Ge was slower than TMobile and vzw LTE. [emoji849]

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

I'm really confused by this. It was just couple of days ago, I saw that 5Ge was slower than TMobile and vzw LTE. emoji849.png

These tests are crowd sourced download only.

10 hours ago, Tengen31 said:

I'm really confused by this. It was just couple of days ago, I saw that 5Ge was slower than TMobile and vzw LTE. emoji849.png

It depends on who you consider more reliable, OpenSignal or Ookla. Personally, I know a ton more people that have Ookla's Speedtest installed on their phone than OpenSignal.

On 4/3/2019 at 11:07 PM, Tengen31 said:

FierceWireless got comments from both OpenSignal and Ookla about the results.

Opensignal’s data set, for example, looked at wireless customers who had 5G E-capable phones, but it didn’t differentiate between speeds experienced on AT&T’s 5G E (4G LTE Advanced Pro) network versus its regular 4G network. 

“Our methodology was to take all the devices that AT&T lists as 5G E devices and just look at the experience of those devices,” Gill said, adding that the study measured what the overall average speed was for those customers. “It takes into account how frequently you can actually get 5G E, and when you’re actually on the regular 4G. We did that for a reason, specifically because we think the holistic experience that those devices get is actually the most relevant.”

The Ookla data, on the other hand, documented increases in speeds measured through speed test results, with a particular jump in faster speed test results coming from AT&T iOS users after the 5G E icon update. Because the software update in question only changed the network icon for AT&T customers, it’s safe to assume the network speed improvements were well underway before the icon update, but customers hadn’t thought to check their speeds until the icon changed to 5G E.

Adriane Blum, head of communications at Ookla, said the results were based on aggregated data from consumer-initiated speed tests on mobile networks. The data set spans 5.5 million tests taken by over 1.5 million unique users during the three-month period. 

“What we saw in the data this quarter was a really big increase in faster tests after the rollout of iOS 12.2. That happened at the end of the quarter,” Blum told FierceWireless in an interview, referring to the Apple iOS update that changed the network icon for AT&T customers from 4G to 5G E.

Blum noted that 70% of AT&T’s customer base are iOS smartphone users, and that the network icon change only became available to iOS users at the end of the quarter. 

“When AT&T rolled out this 5G E marketing designator, we saw a lot of people on the newer iPhone models getting faster than average speeds than other people on the network, and they were testing it suddenly because they saw 5G in the label. We saw a big spike in tests in the quarter from those models,” she said.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/at-t-claims-fastest-network-ookla-results-raising-eyebrows

• Like 1

[emoji23]

I just want sprint to do this 5G thing right and not try to throw shots.

29 minutes ago, derrph said:

I just want sprint to do this 5G thing right and not try to throw shots.

I just want reliable B41 and VoLTE!!

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

Which many of us already have..

I was in NYC this past weekend and my hotel had shitty service. I was on the 7th floor 1 block east of the Garden. Was no 3G the entire time in my hotel room. I think I had better service in the Garden Friday then my room

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, stlman314 said:

I was in NYC this past weekend and my hotel had shitty service. I was on the 7th floor 1 block east of the Garden. Was no 3G the entire time in my hotel room. I think I had better service in the Garden Friday then my room

That's definitely not the rule but the exception.

These are my typical speeds here..

http://imgur.com/gallery/6U4rAie

Edit: Also wierd that you got you less than stellar service considering there is M-MIMO site a block from the Garden and I regularly hit 150mbs+ in that area.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

That's definitely not the rule but the exception.

These are my typical speeds here..

http://imgur.com/gallery/6U4rAie

Edit: Also wierd that you got you less than stellar service considering there is M-MIMO site a block from the Garden and I regularly hit 150mbs+ in that area.

That's what I thought. I was surprised to be on 3G in my room. I saw towers everywhere. I think I saw a M-MIMO right by LGA also. I was on a Shuttle bus so didn't have time to confirm

Nothing to be confused about.    The service here is less than stellar.    I don't like when someone speaks for everyone.  The person that was in a New York city Hotel had poor service, so  why question  it?  Depending on where you live, improvement may still be needed. Many of us still do.  VoLTE?  Please.. not until they fix the network here!   I used to have B41 all the time at my house.  No if I'm lucky, I have 1900 and never B41 anymore.  Contacted Sprint multiple times and had many tickets issued.  Gave up.      Trust me, if my business didn't cover part of my cellular bill, I'd be with someone else.   Just ran SpeedTest... 2.72 Mbps down, 0.00 mbps up.  This is typical for me.   The phone service works and so does my WiFi, which is how i use my data on my Samsung 9+   Sprint's data here tanks.     By the way, those links provided above do not work.

Edited by dro1984
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, dro1984 said:

Nothing to be confused about.    The service here is less than stellar.    I don't like when someone speaks for everyone.  The person that was in a New York city Hotel had poor service, so  why question  it?

Because the vast majority of us that spend most of our time/live in NYC haven't experienced something like that in a long time. Why shouldn't we be curious about his experience?

And as long as we're sharing speed tests, I'm sitting indoors right now pulling 45.3 down and 3.75 up on Band 25 here in Boston.

• Like 1