Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

My main concern is Upload CA. Glancing at those links, it looks as if neither device supports it?
Upload CA only matters if your close to the tower. On edge of cell it turns off in favor of HPUE. It's more important only in really dense markets as it currently stands.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Terrell352 said:

Upload CA only matters if your close to the tower. On edge of cell it turns off in favor of HPUE. It's more important only in really dense markets as it currently stands.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That's fine. Would still prefer that my device had the capability.

Hopefully Sprint doesn't implement a 5G upcharge like Verizon is doing for 5G....

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/25/18515605/verizon-5g-cities-galaxy-s10-5g-preorders

The S10 5G starts at $1,299, which is nuts in of itself in my opinion, but it's also $10/month extra for 5G..... This harkens back to the Premium Data Fee for Sprint when WiMax came out.

However, if you order right now.... Verizon "says it will waive the $10/mth 5G Ultra Wideband access fee, and toss in a free Samsung Wireless Charging Battery Pack and free pair of Samsung Galaxy Buds."

It also seems Verizon is counting on switchers and device trade-ins to offset the cost of the device for customers. I wonder if Sprint will utilize a similar promotion/adoption strategy going forward when the S10 5G arrives on its network.

I also wonder what say Apple has in plan pricing with carriers. When the 5G iPhone drops in 2020 (most likely), it may not be happy with carrier upcharges for 5G.

32 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

I also wonder what say Apple has in plan pricing with carriers. When the 5G iPhone drops in 2020 (most likely), it may not be happy with carrier upcharges for 5G.

Historically Apple is more concerned about a consistent customer experience, thus it could be 2021 for the next chipset/modem to support more bands or even further out.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Historically Apple is more concerned about a consistent customer experience, thus it could be 2021 for the next chipset/modem to support more bands or even further out.

That's true... I really hope this isn't the case. I guess it's all part of a consideration where the carrier networks stand at some point.

AT&T: https://www.att.com/5g/consumer/ --> AT&T has its "5G E" logo on select devices. Actual 5G is currently live in parts of 19 cities.

T-Mobile: https://www.t-mobile.com/5g --> Launching in the second half of 2019: https://www.engadget.com/2019/02/25/t-mobile-5g-launch-delayed/

Verizon: https://www.verizonwireless.com/5g/ --> Launched in parts of Chicago/Minneapolis... 20 more cities just announced for this year.

Sprint: https://www.sprint.com/en/landings/5g.html --> Launching in May for Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas and Kansas City. Houston, Los Angeles, New York City, Phoenix and Washington D.C. are slated to launch in the first half of 2019.

According to Dan Riccio in this Mashable interview, Apple locked down the design for the iPhone X in November 2016, and it launched in November 2017. Assuming the same lead time in the design cycle, perhaps Apple will evaluate where carriers' 5G networks stand in Fall 2019 and make a decision on what's coming as far as 5G for Fall 2020 and Fall 2021 iPhones.

The iPhone XS/XS Max has the Intel XMM 7560 Modem. In terms of available Intel LTE Modems that have been published, I think we're likely to see the Intel XMM 7660 Modem in the Fall 2019 iPhones. It's marketed as a Gigabit+ LTE Modem that supports more than 45 bands (vs. more than 35 bands in the Intel XMM 7560 Modem), and it has support for 7CA DL and 2CA UL.

As far as the modem pipeline beyond that, there's nothing else on Intel's website, save for the 5G modem that Apple/Intel has said it won't use, so I have a feeling Apple will switch over to Qualcomm for 2020.... or it could have decided to completely pull the rug out from Intel and use Qualcomm Modems in the 2019 iPhones. The iPhone 8/8+/X used the Qualcomm Snapdragon X16 LTE Modem (alongside the Intel XMM 7480 Modem).... and had Qualcomm/Apple made a modem deal for the iPhone XS/XS+ Apple would have likely used used the Qualcomm Snapdragon X20 LTE Modem alongside the Intel XMM 7560 Modem in the iPhone XS/XS+... but that didn't happen.

So I think we could see the Qualcomm Snapdragon X24 LTE Modem in the Fall 2019 iPhones, or Apple could decide to save this modem for Fall 2020 if it doesn't launch a 5G model in Fall 2020. It seems like it could potentially be a step up from Intel's XMM 7660.

As far as 5G modems go, I think this is the one we'll be seeing in a future 5G iPhone, especially given T-Mobile's 600 MHz holdings for 5G and the fact that Apple tends to like single chip solutions: Qualcomm X55 5G Modem

So to tie this back in, I believe mass network feature adoption happens primarily with Apple devices because of the upgrade cycle, such as with Sprint's "iPhone Forever" and Apple's "iPhone Upgrade Program". In so doing, I think Apple actually moves the carriers along on their networks more than other device manufacturers, even if they aren't necessarily the first to launch with those features, and this is because of the surge of new devices hitting the networks.

Edited by RedSpark
Clarity
  • Like 3

Now Apple is going back with Qualcomm, they settled, Apple paid Qualcomm undisclosed amount, Intel getting out of 5g for mobile business. Intel wouldn't have had 5g modem until 2021.

1 hour ago, kg4icg said:

Now Apple is going back with Qualcomm, they settled, Apple paid Qualcomm undisclosed amount, Intel getting out of 5g for mobile business. Intel wouldn't have had 5g modem until 2021.

1 hour ago, RedSpark said:

That's true... I really hope this isn't the case. I guess it's all part of a consideration where the carrier networks stand at some point.

Apple has go to be looking at all of Samsung's self-inflicted wounds in their quest to be first: folding phones that rip in half and Russian roulette for the s10 early adopters, both bring back images of exploding Note 7s.  The current finicky nature of 5G mmWave risks bringing back memories of Apple's antenna problems.  All for the current possible gain of a few counties worth of 5g territory in the US (Sprint and T-Mobile could dramatically change this, but the duo may go mid-range at the same time as T-Mobile.) 

Apple will also need to get used taking advantage of more of Qualcomm features after dumbing-down their phones to help Intel.

Hopefully for Sprint's sake, LG gets the V50 right.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

Apple has go to be looking at all of Samsung's self-inflicted wounds in their quest to be first: folding phones that rip in half and Russian roulette for the s10 early adopters, both bring back images of exploding Note 7s.  The current finicky nature of 5G mmWave risks bringing back memories of Apple's antenna problems.  All for the current possible gain of a few counties worth of 5g territory in the US (Sprint and T-Mobile could dramatically change this, but the duo may go mid-range at the same time as T-Mobile.) 

Apple will also need to get used taking advantage of more of Qualcomm features after dumbing-down their phones to help Intel.

Hopefully for Sprint's sake, LG gets the V50 right.

Yeah, you're definitely right about that. Hopefully the days of Apple's antenna design issues are behind it now. I've been very pleased with how my iPhone XS performs.

I imagine that as far as mmWave goes, it's going to require a pretty substantial deployment by the carriers to meet Apple's standards/timing for releasing an iPhone capable of supporting it. Apple's rationale being that it would rather not support a feature at all than support it prematurely such that it won't result in a good customer experience on the device.

Yeah, Apple will have to get used to not detuning Qualcomm Modems! This actually leaves open the possibility of Apple using the Intel XMM 7660 Modem in Fall 2019 and then sole-source by using a non-detuned Qualcomm Snapdragon X24 Modem in Fall 2020, unless Apple decides to release a 5G iPhone with the Qualcomm X55 5G Modem in Fall 2020. Otherwise, Apple could use the Qualcomm X55 5G Modem or its successor in Fall 2021 if it decides to delay a 5G iPhone until then.

I wonder how quickly Sprint plans to ramp up beyond the 9 5G cities it's announced so far. We haven't heard anything else about that yet have we?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RedSpark said:

I wonder how quickly Sprint plans to ramp up beyond the 9 5G cities it's announced so far. We haven't heard anything else about that yet have we?

So far we have only confirmed a small number of Massive MIMO sites in diverse locations in Ohio. I would expect greater concentrations for good 5g. Current ones may be designed more for capacity/ RF shadows.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Flompholph said:

As long as sprint does not announce by name the spotty cities. I am happy they are expanding. Maybe they want to test wider channel shadowing and penetrations in our second and third wave cities.

What are you referring to in saying "spotty cities"?

12 minutes ago, Flompholph said:

M-mimo deployment are skipping sites in places like pittsburgh and columbus. This may cause spotty areas if they turn 5g on.

Sprint has only announced 5G for nine cities so far, so I imagine Massive MIMO will be coming to additional cities in due time. Perhaps stealth work is already underway in other markets? Isn't Sprint only deploying 5G on split mode Massive MIMO gear making the gear a prerequisite for the deployment?

We already have M-mimo gear installed and photoed in those 2 markets and many more permitted. My hope is the turn 5G on these sites here even though it may be spotty.  

Sorry for the delayed resonses but I am in Shentel land so weak coverage.But atleast us cellular is here is spaces.

• Like 2

We already have M-mimo gear installed and photoed in those 2 markets and many more permitted. My hope is the turn 5G on these sites here even though it may be spotty.  
Sorry for the delayed resonses but I am in Shentel land so weak coverage.But atleast us cellular is here is spaces.
Also in the Cincinnati market

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

They are knee-deep in litigation now from multiple investment firms and clients.   How do you present fictitious earnings news?   IMO, this violates the Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX) act.   Big time trouble if it does.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, twospirits said:

Good question.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

According to this: https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/04/050604.asp

The timing varies a little. The old standard required companies to file earnings reports no later than 45 days after the end of their first three quarters, and both quarterly and annual reports no more than 90 days after their fiscal year ends.

In 2002, the SEC decided to make information available to the public in a more timely manner. The new rules tightened these 45- and 90-day requirements to 35 and 60 days, respectively.

According to the Sprint Investor Relations Page, the Fiscal 4Q2018 ended on 3/31/2019...

33 minutes ago, Mr.Nuke said:

The same date it ends for them every year...

Yes, that’s true.

In the past, Sprint’s earnings calls for the Fiscal 4Q were held on:

May 2, 2018

May 3, 2017

May 3, 2016

May 5, 2015

We’ll see what happens...

8 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Yes, that’s true.

In the past, Sprint’s earnings calls for the Fiscal 4Q were held on:

May 2, 2018

May 3, 2017

May 3, 2016

May 5, 2015

We’ll see what happens...

Which points pretty strongly to May 7th. If that date comes and goes then this post is appropriate...

8 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Still no word on Sprint’s Fiscal 4Q2018 Earnings Report Date... https://investors.sprint.com

What’s going on over there?

Within the last week I started getting HD voice, while connected to wifi calling, when a Verizon user calls me.  However if i initiate the call instead HD voice is not there.  What gives?

Also, if i disconnect from wifi and use the cellular network (1x800), no HD voice no matter what.  its been so long so i can not remember but is there no HD voice on 1x?