Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Here's the new excuse: since VoLTE isn't tested by Root, that also means that their new Extended Range LTE assets are not fully tested when it comes to voice. You're going to hear a lot more of that in the coming weeks and months.

I doubt that VoLTE would make much difference in the Call metrics.  Sure, in some markets, it would bring band 12 into the mix.  But in other markets without band 12, VoLTE would be on band 4.  That would not be as robust as W-CDMA on band 2.  The advantages and disadvantages likely would even out.

AJ

I doubt that VoLTE would make much difference in the Call metrics. Sure, in some markets, it would bring band 12 into the mix. But in other markets without band 12, VoLTE would be on band 4. That would not be as robust as W-CDMA on band 2. The advantages and disadvantages likely would even out.

AJ

It may be only anecdotal and perhaps even just a couple of localized instances, but I found T-Mobile VoLTE calls on band 4 a couple of times to actually hang on stronger than band 2 WCDMA in a few very weak areas that I've used it.

In my market I could probably get away without calling issues related to poor signal on VoLTE 98% of the time on T-Mobile without needing band 12.

So I would tend to think that testing VoLTE would hardly make any difference in the call metrics in T-Mobiles case.

Hahaha

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/12/comcast-att-and-t-mobile-must-explain-data-cap-exemptions-to-fcc/

Seriously though, I'm glad they're stepping in now. Maybe it's not too late. It's gonna be really hard for them to backtrack though if they decide to.

• Like 7

Hahaha

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/12/comcast-att-and-t-mobile-must-explain-data-cap-exemptions-to-fcc/

Seriously though, I'm glad they're stepping in now. Maybe it's not too late. It's gonna be really hard for them to backtrack though if they decide to.

Bring the hammer down, FCC.  PurgeOn the Net Neutrality violations.

AJ

• Like 10

Speaking of Government wireless management;

https://theintercept.com/2015/12/17/a-secret-catalogue-of-government-gear-for-spying-on-your-cellphone/

Big brother always had thee coolest gear.

Been waiting for this for a while, nothing like a little sunshine   :sunny:

Dale Gribble was right you know. 

Some news for folks in the Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee Markets

Brian S. Miller Named Sprint President, Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee Region

Link: http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/brian-s-miller-named-sprint-president-georgia-alabama-and-tennessee-region.htm

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Some news for folks in the Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee Markets

Brian S. Miller Named Sprint President, Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee Region

Link: http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/brian-s-miller-named-sprint-president-georgia-alabama-and-tennessee-region.htm

Thoughts?

Maybe we will see something happen in Bama. It's been nothing all year long for the most part, no Nextel sites redone, nothing. Barely any LTE sites turned on this year

I noticed something interesting regarding last half-year results from RootMetrics.
http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/ogden-ut/2015/1H

If you look at overall data-speeds, it shows Sprint in first by 0.3 points. But when you look at the median speeds on the same page, it shows Verizon's was a lot higher.
gupO72p.png

Which means even though RootMetrics says they rate based on median scores, they actually rate differently. Without seeing how they actually test, there's no way to truly know.

But this further implies RootMetrics methodology is often flawed and can sprout illegitimate results. Unless, they add together the highest download and the highest upload and add those together.

• Like 2

Which means even though RootMetrics says they rate based on median scores, they actually rate differently. Without seeing how they actually test, there's no way to truly know.

In its public reports, RootMetrics divulges some median values. However, that does not mean RootMetrics uses only median values in its statistical calculations

But this further implies RootMetrics methodology is often flawed and can sprout illegitimate results. Unless, they add together the highest download and the highest upload and add those together.

To say that the methodology is "flawed" goes too far.  We do not know that -- because we are not privy to all the details of the methodology.  So, what we can say is that the combination of methodology, measured values, and results often can be enigmatic.

AJ

• Like 1

Maybe we will see something happen in Bama. It's been nothing all year long for the most part, no Nextel sites redone, nothing. Barely any LTE sites turned on this year

It's on Brian to deliver at this point I guess.

Hes will def have his eyes where sprint has most of its customers. Sprint is a pretty hard sell in Alabama, even in a place like Birmingham

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alas I suspect Sprint is hoping that SouthernLINC will do a colocation and network sharing deal that has the side effect of fixing Sprint's woes in its ex-affiliate areas in southeast MS, AL, and GA.

• Like 1

Sprint is going to hop on a DAS at the Las Vegas Convention Center ahead of CES. Smart move with all the tech press there: http://www.rcrwireless.com/20151218/network-infrastructure/att-and-sprint-jump-in-on-las-vegas-convention-center-das-upgrade-tag20

(I'll be there, too!)

• Like 10

Sprint is going to hop on a DAS at the Las Vegas Convention Center ahead of CES. Smart move with all the tech press there: http://www.rcrwireless.com/20151218/network-infrastructure/att-and-sprint-jump-in-on-las-vegas-convention-center-das-upgrade-tag20

(I'll be there, too!)

Hook me up with a ticket too?

Sent from my Gold iPhone 6s Plus 128GB using Tapatalk

Hook me up with a ticket too?

Sent from my Gold iPhone 6s Plus 128GB using Tapatalk

I may have an extra badge - we had someone that had to cancel. I'll look into that for you.

• Like 6

(I'll be there, too!)

Hmm. No mention of specific bands. You'll have to report to us!

Has anyone compared Rootmetrics network testing app versus others?  Is it comparable?  I know that comparing Ookla versus Sensorly in my area can vary quite a bit.

Example Home internet:

Ookla - 81.39 dn/28.02 up,11 ms Ping

Sensorly - 61.82 dn/22.08 up, 464 ms Ping

Has anyone compared Rootmetrics network testing app versus others?  Is it comparable?  I know that comparing Ookla versus Sensorly in my area can vary quite a bit.

Example Home internet:

Ookla - 81.39 dn/28.02 up,11 ms Ping

Sensorly - 61.82 dn/22.08 up, 464 ms Ping

It's because of the testing server.  Location is key and also how much traffic is going to and from it.

Sensorly doesn't have as many servers as Ookla.  Rootmetrics servers aren't too bad, but they don't test ping.

(I'll be there, too!)

Agreed. It is a smart move and I'm glad to see that Sprint will be on equal footing with the other carriers. (I'm wondering who the unnamed carrier is). Investments like this will pay off over time in terms of improving public perception. Plus, the equipment stays as a permanent improvement to the venue. Looking forward to you sharing your reports!

Agreed. It is a smart move and I'm glad to see that Sprint will be on equal footing with the other carriers. (I'm wondering who the unnamed carrier is). Investments like this will pay off over time in terms of improving public perception. Plus, the equipment stays as a permanent improvement to the venue. Looking forward to you sharing your reports!

I'll also have an AT&T iPhone 6S plus & VZW iPad Air 2 handy, so I can speed test everything but Magenta.

• Like 7

Some guy on Reddit travelled from Columbia, MO to Branson, MO and mapped the entire trip on Sensorly.

mQWx2cL.png

bftNQMA.jpg

According to the pictures, it looks like T-Mobile beats Sprint a bit.  Here's the kicker, though.  Sprint did not drop signal at all during the trip (although it relied on USCC roaming for part-way.)  T-Mobile was recorded by the user to have no signal at all for 13 minutes of the drive.  Sprint's roaming partners ensure that you're always connected whereas T-Mobile would rather you be unavailable for a period of time. 

• Like 5

(I'll be there, too!)

Has Sprint been performing well at CES in previous years or is it just this upcoming year that they are being proactive about it? I haven't been to Vegas at all this year so I don't know if the Strip has improved indoors and outdoors in 2015.