Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

The absolute earliest any of the CDMA carriers could shut down CDMA would be 2020, in my estimation. Verizon is ahead on this but they can run a sliver of CDMA in the CLR band for M2M and whatever legacy is left.

If Sprint were to expedite its VoLTE timeline and shut down most/all band class 1 CDMA2000 carriers in the next two years, I would not have a problem with that.  But Sprint would be foolish to shut down CDMA2000 altogether too soon -- because that would take away the band class 10 CDMA1X carrier.

And that band class 10 CDMA1X carrier has been instrumental in making Sprint arguably the best national network for circuit switched voice, topping VZW in that regard.  If band class 10 CDMA1X were shut down, Sprint would lose many of the gains it has made in rock solid reliability.  Not to mention, it would leave fallow a few MHz of rebanded SMR 800 MHz spectrum, since 3GPP has not standardized a 7.5 MHz FDD carrier for LTE.

AJ

• Like 5

If Sprint were to expedite its VoLTE timeline and shut down most/all band class 1 CDMA2000 carriers in the next two years, I would not have a problem with that. But Sprint would be foolish to shut down CDMA2000 altogether too soon -- because that would take away the band class 10 CDMA1X carrier.

And that band class 10 CDMA1X carrier has been instrumental in making Sprint arguably the best national network for circuit switched voice, topping VZW in that regard. If band class 10 CDMA1X were shut down, Sprint would lose many of the gains it has made in rock solid reliability. Not to mention, it would leave fallow a few MHz of rebanded SMR 800 MHz spectrum, since 3GPP has not standardized a 7.5 MHz FDD carrier for LTE.

AJ

Not to mention that it is pretty much integrated into Network Vision equipment. Verizon's old CDMA voice network is a separate energy burn while Sprint's CDMA network isn't because it is entirely different network equipment powering VZ's CDMA. I doubt they forsaw this much voice traffic still left on CDMA 2-3 years ago.

Too bad RootMetrics doesn't measure voice quality. Sprint would be ahead of Verizon CDMA by a decent margin.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 7

http://bgr.com/2015/12/24/verizon-net-neutrality-violation-in-the-works/

Here comes fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

now it looks like Verizon will soon do it with its Go90 video app and any other service partners willing to cough up some cash

So what was the entire point of Net Neutrality then? Extra rules written on official papers that these companies use to wipe their ass with????

Legere should be made an example for starting this movement.

• Like 9

I really don't get the issue. If vzw want to give this value add to its customers who subscribe to their new video streaming service who cares. If the service sucks people aren't going to subscribe and if it is good this is just a value add for them. People still love Netflix, HBO and YouTube and as long as they provide the content people want they will do fine.

• Like 1

I really don't get the issue.

The issue is that Verizon now plans to treat certain parts of the internet differently from others while getting paid for it.

It may not seem like a big deal for you since you'll probably get free data usage from deals like these, but it creates an unfair market for start ups and small on-line businesses that want to challenge giants such as Facebook, Netflix, and Amazon. It's entirely against the spirit of Net Neutrality and the FCC needs to man up and stop it before this trend becomes the norm.

• Like 7

The issue is that Verizon now plans to treat certain parts of the internet differently from others while getting paid for it.

It may not seem like a big deal for you since you'll probably get free data usage from deals like these, but it creates an unfair market for start ups and small on-line businesses that want to challenge giants such as Facebook, Netflix, and Amazon. It's entirely against the spirit of Net Neutrality and the FCC needs to man up and stop it before this trend becomes the norm.

Well Said!

What small online video streaming business do you think this will effect negatively? To get the content to be a mass appeal online video delivery company you need scale i.e. Your a big business. If you deliver niche content (a space a small online company might occupy) , it doesn't effect you because by definition you are providing content no one else is and to a small dedicated audience.

So again, what is the big deal?

What small online video streaming business do you think this will effect negatively? To get the content to be a mass appeal online video delivery company you need scale i.e. Your a big business. If you deliver niche content (a space a small online company might occupy) , it doesn't effect you because by definition you are providing content no one else is and to a small dedicated audience.

So again, what is the big deal?

I think the premise here is that it'll be harder for those smaller businesses to gain scale when those large services are already zero-rated. It'll just make it harder for smaller services to get big.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I think the premise here is that it'll be harder for those smaller businesses to gain scale when those large services are already zero-rated. It'll just make it harder for smaller services to get big.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I disagree branding is everything with these providers. I subscribe to HBO because the brand represents quality content, Netflix is much the same, Hulu I can get tv content with out cable bill ect...Branding and its cost are the biggest struggle for an online content providers and this adds, not subtracts, an avenue for providers to brand their product. Which in the end is all vzw is doing.

• Like 1

What small online video streaming business do you think this will effect negatively?

If, for instance, Netflix were to pay Verizon and T-Mobile to make their content unlimited, then it would affect every start up that wants to offer some sort of video service. Potential customers would be discouraged from the get-go from visiting/paying for un-established services since their data traffic would be counted towards their data allowances. And with Comcast, At&t, and Verizon Fiber now selling tiered home internet service instead of unlimited, its something people will notice and will effect how we all use data.

Remember when Friendster dominated social media? Remember how it was taken over by Hi5, which was then taken over by bebo, which was then taken over by MySpace, which was then taken over by Facebook, and now being challenged by Twitter?????

Well, kiss all the changing trends and innovation goodbye if companies are now given the ability to un-level the playing field to their liking. No more small guys pushing the boundaries as established companies become the standard paying off IPs to shove their small competitors to the curveside.

• Like 6

I disagree branding is everything with these providers. I subscribe to HBO because the brand represents quality content, Netflix is much the same, Hulu I can get tv content with out cable bill ect...Branding and its cost are the biggest struggle for an online content providers and this adds, not subtracts, an avenue for providers to brand their product. Which in the end is all vzw is doing.

Future competition and new start-ups are also a struggle...and they just found a way to eliminate that.

If, for instance, Netflix were to pay Verizon and T-Mobile to make their content unlimited, then it would affect every start up that wants to offer some sort of video service. Potential customers would be discouraged from the get-go from visiting/paying for un-established services since their data traffic would be counted towards their data allowances. And with Comcast, At&t, and Verizon Fiber now selling tiered home internet service instead of unlimited, its something people will notice and will effect how we all use data.

Remember when Friendster dominated social media? Remember how it was taken over by Hi5, which was then taken over by bebo, which was then taken over by MySpace, which was then taken over by Facebook, and now being challenged by Twitter?????

Well, kiss all the changing trends and innovation goodbye if companies are now given the ability to un-level the playing field to their liking. No more small guys pushing the boundaries as established companies become the standard as they pay off IPs to shove their small competitors to the curveside.

If a service is good people will use it, even if it uses data. Look, T-Mobile customers haven't stopped using services they love because a competitor doesn't use their data.

If a service is good people will use it, even if it uses data.

Until they see that a similar service is being given preference by a wireless provider....

You can't be this naive to not see how this is breaking net neutrality.

• Like 8

Well, kiss all the changing trends and innovation goodbye if companies are now given the ability to un-level the playing field to their liking. No more small guys pushing the boundaries as established companies become the standard as they pay off IPs to shove their small competitors to the curveside.

If a service is good people will use it, even if it uses data. Look, T-Mobile customers haven't stopped using services they love because a competitor doesn't use their data.

If a service is good people will use it even if it uses data. Look, T-Mobile customers haven't stopped using services they love because a competitor doesn't use their data.

Well, they've for sure taken up in using the services being offered under BingeOn by T-Mobile. Look at the current trends where T-Mobile's network is getting congested. We are seeing many places having higher uploads than downloads and it all started getting worse when T-Mobile started Binge On.

So yes, people are taking advantage of BingeOn...and one can safely assume that services not covered under BingeOn are being left in the dark by users. Sure, we won't be able to tell for sure without actual data from T-Mobile, but it's no coincidence their network got worse all of a sudden after BingeOn. It all adds up. BingeOn is bad for the entire Internet industry and creates an anti-competitive environment for small guys and start ups.

• Like 4

I stopped using Amazon Prime music streaming on T-Mobile because it is not free to stream, like others. And I even know that I shouldn't. But it's human nature not to pay for something that you get for free. We are being reconditioned.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 10