Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I concur and any LTE on your way home? The last I heard from executive support in the fall was that a project team was actively working on getting LTE enabled in stations where Sprint service existed.

Oh really? I haven't yet seen any Sprint LTE on the Red/Orange/Blue/Silver Lines in the tunnels or on the underground station platforms. Just 3G on the underground station platforms. Nothing in the tunnels. I have an iPhone 6s.

Oh really? I haven't yet seen any Sprint LTE on the Red/Orange/Blue/Silver Lines in the tunnels or on the underground station platforms. Just 3G on the underground station platforms. Nothing in the tunnels. I have an iPhone 6s.

Ah sorry if it wasn't clear, but don't expect service in the tunnels for a while because WMATA is now in charge of rewiring the tunnels. So the only 'cellular' service that remains in the tunnel is Verizon's legacy CDMA network which seems to be slowly dying on its own. There may be a few random spots where PowerWave (the original builder for the big four) upgraded before they filed for Chapter 11 further pushing this saga out.

• Like 1

Ah sorry if it wasn't clear, but don't expect service in the tunnels for a while because WMATA is now in charge of rewiring the tunnels. So the only 'cellular' service that remains in the tunnel is Verizon's legacy CDMA network which seems to be slowly dying on its own. There may be a few random spots where PowerWave (the original builder for the big four) upgraded before they filed for Chapter 11 further pushing this saga out.

Understood. I agree with you: The legacy tunnel service is basically dying. I am able to pick up solid Sprint 3G in certain stations now. Can't tell if that's part of a new or legacy build.

When I think about how the Empire State Building was built in One Year and 45 Days back in the 1930's, and how the Carriers/WMATA says this installation will take up to 5 years to complete, I just want to shake my head in disbelief.

• Like 3

I concur and any LTE on your way home? The last I heard from executive support in the fall was that a project team was actively working on getting LTE enabled in stations where Sprint service existed.

You tell me.  ;)

YwHVofi.png

It's odd though.  It was only on the East/West platform and dropped off after I rounded the corner to the North/South platform.  It was also very weak, only about -95 when I walked under the antennas.  Considering the 3G signal is about -50 dBm, I would expect a proper LTE signal there to be -80 dBm or so. 

- Trip

• Like 2

Sounds like it was a good idea to ignore most of it.

This article is paywalled, but there's a Denver Post version which is viewable: http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_29299661/sprint-paid-big-advice-from-sol-trujillo-but

Sounds like this contract made Son get more involved, which is a good thing in the end.

What technology were the consultants advocating shutting down? Seems like the consultants and Miyakawa were at odds on something. What was it?

Sounds like the consultants suggested shutting down the CDMA network.

Sounds like the consultants suggested shutting down the CDMA network.

Possibly, but probably not.  Sprint does not have the spectrum means to shut down the CDMA2000 network at this stage.  That does not require $25 million analysis -- or S4GRU free analysis.  We already provide basically that.  But if Sprint wants to contribute to the S4GRU holiday scholarship fund, do it.  S4GRU has contributed a lot to Sprint over the past four years.

AJ

• Like 9

Sprint CEO paid consultants $25+ million for five months of advice that was mostly ignored.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/sprint-spent-heavily-for-advice-later-brushed-aside-1450820455

That's about par for the course when it comes to consulting, in my experience. Pay a lot, get some advice you could have gotten for a lot less money.

• Like 5

Since I don't used Facebook at all, I hope that won't become the only way to chat with Sprint CS

I highly doubt it, it's more likely they did that just as another option (like Direct2You) for people who are avid Facebook users.

Just more options for people!  :)

• Like 2

Possibly, but probably not. Sprint does not have the spectrum means to shut down the CDMA2000 network at this stage. That does not require $25 million analysis -- or S4GRU free analysis. We already provide basically that. But if Sprint wants to contribute to the S4GRU holiday scholarship fund, do it. S4GRU has contributed a lot to Sprint over the past four years.

AJ

I'm just not sure what other technology that Sprint had spent 3 years of upgrades on there would have been to shut down. That was specifically mentioned in the article. Maybe it was because of bad suggestions like that, that they where ignored and fired.
  • Like 1

Verizon starting ETF buyouts.

f5b5b54902e7656cf9b8a364a3421703.jpg

I figured they'd act soon since they haven't led in growth for awhile now. AT&T I expect to follow soon.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Verizon started offering that here a month ago. I believe it was exclusive to the Chicago market during that time. I doubt AT&T will follow, they seem to have their heels dug in pretty deep this time around.

• Like 1

Robert had written a post providing advice to Marcelo when he first came onboard.

I searched through the different threads and couldn't find it.

It would be interesting to see if Marcelo owes Robert millions of dollars for the advice he provided.

• Like 2

Possibly, but probably not. Sprint does not have the spectrum means to shut down the CDMA2000 network at this stage. That does not require $25 million analysis -- or S4GRU free analysis. We already provide basically that. But if Sprint wants to contribute to the S4GRU holiday scholarship fund, do it. S4GRU has contributed a lot to Sprint over the past four years.

AJ

Which, by the way, not one member has donated to yet. Not one. :(

Sent from OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I've got Verizon now and the speeds are slow. I'm in Ntelos land now, soon to be shentel. I'd like to switch but I have a 22% discount with vzw. Is there any hidden fees in sprints 50% off plan?? Current plan is 18gb 3 lines for ~280 a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got Verizon now and the speeds are slow. I'm in Ntelos land now, soon to be shentel. I'd like to switch but I have a 22% discount with vzw. Is there any hidden fees in sprints 50% off plan?? Current plan is 18gb 3 lines for ~280 a month.

I would highly suggest you demo the Sprint service first by doing a 13 day trial and try to hammer out all the locations that you would most likely be before jumping all in.  I just read too many regret stories from folks who jumped all in into Sprint only to find out that their service sucked in the area they lived in and the worse part was they did the whole phone trade in thing and were panicking asking if they can get their old phones back (which doesn't happen) and old contract back.  Maybe a prepaid option like VM which gives a taste of the Sprint network is an alternative as well.

• Like 4

Two opposite positions on Sprint published today. One spells out doom and gloom for the stock and one is optimistic that they'll turn around.

Sprint And The Buying Opportunity http://seekingalpha.com/article/3773696

Sprint Stock Is In A Lose Lose Situation For 2016 http://seekingalpha.com/article/3773436

• Like 2

Two opposite positions on Sprint published today. One spells out doom and gloom for the stock and one is optimistic that they'll turn around.

Sprint And The Buying Opportunity http://seekingalpha.com/article/3773696

Sprint Stock Is In A Lose Lose Situation For 2016 http://seekingalpha.com/article/3773436

Forecasting is difficult.

• Like 2

AJ

The absolute earliest any of the CDMA carriers could shut down CDMA would be 2020, in my estimation. Verizon is ahead on this but they can run a sliver of CDMA in the CLR band for M2M and whatever legacy is left.

That said, they are already degrading their CDMA network, reliability has started to go south on that network in Southern Illinois. I am experiencing better reliability on VoLTE today.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I would highly suggest you demo the Sprint service first by doing a 13 day trial and try to hammer out all the locations that you would most likely be before jumping all in.  I just read too many regret stories from folks who jumped all in into Sprint only to find out that their service sucked in the area they lived in and the worse part was they did the whole phone trade in thing and were panicking asking if they can get their old phones back (which doesn't happen) and old contract back.  Maybe a prepaid option like VM which gives a taste of the Sprint network is an alternative as well.

Didn't they lengthen it to 28 days when the cut your bill in half came out?