Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Long story short all test done inside a vzw store.. They jumped on me for having sprint started talking about data and speeds.

They couldn't get over 35 with their phones...... I explained they don't give enough data to use because most vzw people beg for wifi.... Nuff said after the speed tests they started talking about coverage in Montana..

If we are in Massachusetts why are we comparing coverage in Montana???!!!

Instead of coverage in Montana, if I were a VZW defender, I would jump all over those low uplink speeds.  TD-LTE uplink typically faces disadvantages in both time slots and RF power.

But maybe the uplink fixation is only a T-Mobile thing.

;)

AJ

• Like 2

Too bad a potential Verizon customer wasn't around and saw that speed test happen. That really would have been a customer lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My partner has vzw 3 phones on contract $280 month 6gb

After advocating and telling her to switch in the store the manager approved an early upgrade as she is a 14 year customer.

Changed plan to xl +2 gb 14 total a month. 260~ a month????

Anyways I explained they could keep the coverage in Montana

40+gb a month 8 lines $280 a month

Including new iPhones and note 5.... Their look was priceless.... best part was they were so confident we made a bet on data speeds if I lost I would get a Verizon line if I won the had to cough up a Bose speaker....

Guess who left with a nice red speaker!!!!

My note 5 blows my 6s in speeds when I pulled that out I didn't go under 90

Thanks vzw!!

Point is everyone still thinks sprints network is garbage

They told me sprint throttles after 3gb!!!!!

Smh

• Like 8

My partner has vzw 3 phones on contract $280 month 6gb

After advocating and telling her to switch in the store the manager approved an early upgrade as she is a 14 year customer.

Changed plan to xl +2 gb 14 total a month. 260~ a month????

Anyways I explained they could keep the coverage in Montana

40+gb a month 8 lines $280 a month

Including new iPhones and note 5.... Their look was priceless.... best part was they were so confident we made a bet on data speeds if I lost I would get a Verizon line if I won the had to cough up a Bose speaker....

Guess who left with a nice red speaker!!!!

My note 5 blows my 6s in speeds when I pulled that out I didn't go under 90

Thanks vzw!!

Point is everyone still thinks sprints network is garbage

They told me sprint throttles after 3gb!!!!!

Smh

Lmbo!!! They gave her a early upgrade to save face. For her seeing that Sprint was beyond faster than Verizon would make anyone consider leaving. I guess they are thinking about T-Mobile with the throttling.

Even in my experience I've had friends switch to Sprint after they attempted to clown me because I had Sprint and I had a simple speed test challenge and won it hands down. I give thanks to CA and 2xb25. Those friends came from AT&T(degrading in my city) and T-Mobile. Sprint is not what they use to be but it's still the word of mouth that's hurting them from past people from 2012-2014.

Congrats on the speaker I'm sure it sounds great even more since it was free. That'll be a funny tweet for Marcelo to see. Is your partner still considering switching in the future?

Those reps at that store I'm sure was talking about you and Sprint after you left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

DAS does not limit CA. As long as it has the bandwidth to support multiple carriers, then it can support CA. I cannot confirm 2x CA on any of my current handsets, but the Truman Sports Complex in Kansas City has two band 41 carriers, more recently, two band 25 carriers, too. If I were Sprint, though, I would disable 2x CA on band 41 at the stadiums. High capacity, not super speed, is the key.

AJ

2xCA utilizes both B41 carriers. That means one user is taking up a slice of both carriers. If you disable 2xCA, then that user is only occupying a slice of one carrier. That frees up the other carrier for a second user. More capacity, but not the 100+Mbps peak speeds. Better use of spectrum.

This is incorrect. CA does not just improve peak speeds, it also improves average throughput and decreases time to idle. Faster time to idle allows the network to free up resources quicker and improves overall throughput for all devices, even those without CA. In addition, CA improves load balancing between two separate carriers since the network does not have to move devices between bands, which can take several seconds. Using CA allows load balancing to be done on a packet level, with latency of a few ms.

CA does not hurt network capacity, it actually increases capacity by improving the network efficiency and is a better use of spectrum.

• Like 3

By the way, here's the latest on the WMATA build: Article

So we'll see how this goes. At least it'll be a progressive build that will be live as new equipment is added.

Some additional background.

Ironic, possibly, that this showed up yesterday.

I know that for some time now, in the L'enfant Plaza Metro station, Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile have had LTE while Sprint has been on 3G.  This morning, I happened to look at my phone as I got on the escalator at the edge of the station and caught a flash of an unfamiliar GCI right before it flipped to the GCI for the Weaver Building.  My log shows a GCI which would be one of the highest B25 ones I've ever seen (new sites have high GCI values), 0303D3.  I've got my fingers crossed that on the way home, I'll discover Sprint LTE in L'enfant Plaza Metro station.

- Trip

• Like 5

This is incorrect. CA does not just improve peak speeds, it also improves average throughput and decreases time to idle. Faster time to idle allows the network to free up resources quicker and improves overall throughput for all devices, even those without CA. In addition, CA improves load balancing between two separate carriers since the network does not have to move devices between bands, which can take several seconds. Using CA allows load balancing to be done on a packet level, with latency of a few ms.

CA does not hurt network capacity, it actually increases capacity by improving the network efficiency and is a better use of spectrum.

unless you have a bunch of people idle or near idle on B41 CA. Those people still get a time slot if they use that time slot fully or not. With CA they get two time slots to idle on instead of only one two idle on. In a setting with a lot of idle and a lot of people it is best it limit idle waste. There is a limit to the number of phones that can stay connected based on avalible time slots.

There is no truly idle phone even if it is the phone doing background data. Like apps checking for messages or the weather data updating as you check the time. Theme parks or malls would be better for CA and the time to idle with limited people and high usage.

• Like 1

New round of layoffs began last week.  Sprint recording a $150 million charge for severance-related expenses.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprint-take-150m-charge-layoffs/2015-12-22

I would think that the number of people calling in to complain about poor service would have dropped considerably over the last year due to all the network upgrades that have been done.  The number of employees at the call centers are probably dropping every day.

• Like 3

unless you have a bunch of people idle or near idle on B41 CA. Those people still get a time slot if they use that time slot fully or not. With CA they get two time slots to idle on instead of only one two idle on. In a setting with a lot of idle and a lot of people it is best it limit idle waste. There is a limit to the number of phones that can stay connected based on avalible time slots.

There is no truly idle phone even if it is the phone doing background data. Like apps checking for messages or the weather data updating as you check the time. Theme parks or malls would be better for CA and the time to idle with limited people and high usage.

I think you're underestimating how much idling happens. The phone is idle much more than it is active, and when it is idle it doesn't consume network resources and doesn't get a time slot. The faster the active state can be completed, the faster resources can be freed for other devices. Bursty data like that from syncing activities is what CA is good for since the the phone can finish its data activity quickly and return to idle.

• Like 2

Sprint to use Facebook Messenger for customer service

Either this will go very well... or it won't go well at all.

I think that this is actually awesome. For many people, social media is very accessible and these easiest mode of communication.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Scratch that. It is surprisingly easy!

Your entire exchange with Sprint CS was basically this...

15560399.jpg

AJ

• Like 13

Your entire exchange with Sprint CS was basically this...

15560399.jpg

AJ

The fiercewireless article that i previously read failed to mention the ability to search for Sprint in the actual fb messenger app. The above article did. I assumed it likely was not yet live. But it clearly is.

Did I waste "Ashley's" time? Perhaps. But I am glad I found out.

P.s..i bet ten thousand rupees her name is not "Ashley."

• Like 5

Did I waste "Ashley's" time? Perhaps. But I am glad I found out.

P.s..i bet ten thousand rupees her name is not "Ashley."

Yeah, but it was cool.  And you scored.

AJ

• Like 1

Sprint CEO paid consultants $25+ million for five months of advice that was mostly ignored.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/sprint-spent-heavily-for-advice-later-brushed-aside-1450820455

Sounds like it was a good idea to ignore most of it.

This article is paywalled, but there's a Denver Post version which is viewable: http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_29299661/sprint-paid-big-advice-from-sol-trujillo-but

Sounds like this contract made Son get more involved, which is a good thing in the end.

What technology were the consultants advocating shutting down? Seems like the consultants and Miyakawa were at odds on something. What was it?

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/study-atts-network-tops-disney-world-while-sprint-and-t-mobile-lag/2015-12-22

This mirrors my experience. It's unfortunate because Disney used to use Nextel, which was VERY reliable everywhere. Not sure what happened.

Is this a surprise? I thought Disney had some exclusive DAS contract with AT&T?

Ironic, possibly, that this showed up yesterday.

I know that for some time now, in the L'enfant Plaza Metro station, Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile have had LTE while Sprint has been on 3G.  This morning, I happened to look at my phone as I got on the escalator at the edge of the station and caught a flash of an unfamiliar GCI right before it flipped to the GCI for the Weaver Building.  My log shows a GCI which would be one of the highest B25 ones I've ever seen (new sites have high GCI values), 0303D3.  I've got my fingers crossed that on the way home, I'll discover Sprint LTE in L'enfant Plaza Metro station.

- Trip

I concur and any LTE on your way home? The last I heard from executive support in the fall was that a project team was actively working on getting LTE enabled in stations where Sprint service existed.

• Like 1