Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

With regard to this specific portion of your comment, this pretty much applies specifically to LTE. For some reason, on EVDO 1Mbps is fine whereas 1Mbps on LTE feels sluggish beyond belief.

For reference, we are talking about ≥5 MHz FDD carrier performance.  If it were 1.4 MHz FDD, then 1 Mbps might not feel that sluggish.

But the simple explanation is that a ≥5 MHz FDD carrier running at 1 Mbps feels sluggish because it is loaded.  The abundance of data requests is increasing latency for everyone.  An EV-DO carrier running at 1 Mbps is fairly wide open, so latency is fine.

AJ

• Like 6

People don't leave because they get 5mbps instead of 50. They leave because they lose LTE and then their internet times out and apps won't load.

I have to agree with you.  I just moved into my new house in Thornton, CO.  Sprint states I should have B41 at my place.  I can barely get B26 and more often then not I drop to 3G with a weak signal.  Best I can tell is the tower is far from optimaized out here as I am certainly not in the boondocks by any stretch.  Sprint needs to get off their rears and get their towers optimized.  They have made some great changes up to now, but the work is far from over.

• Like 4

I have to agree with you. I just moved into my new house in Thornton, CO. Sprint states I should have B41 at my place. I can barely get B26 and more often then not I drop to 3G with a weak signal. Best I can tell is the tower is far from optimaized out here as I am certainly not in the boondocks by any stretch. Sprint needs to get off their rears and get their towers optimized. They have made some great changes up to now, but the work is far from over.

My biggest fear with the inaccurate maps is that Sprint actually thinks I'm receiving what their maps are saying. I hope their network team uses a different set of maps than the maps the marketing team uses.

Different topic, one month in and there is still some bug in OC (could be elsewhere). Going from a strong LTE signal and kicking me off to 3g after the phone shows no signal... Something is weird here. Signalcheck will show LTE but no band and show a phone icon at the top of the screen and then I'll lose all signal before hoping on 3g. Weird. All this while parked at a traffic light. I hope they fix because I want Sprint to kick TMO and Verizon's face in.

My biggest fear with the inaccurate maps is that Sprint actually thinks I'm receiving what their maps are saying. I hope their network team uses a different set of maps than the maps the marketing team uses. My town says turbo spark and I'm lucky if I maintain a B25 LTE signal at all (usually drop to 3g or no signal)... Darn hills everywhere.

The 3G maps are great but for some reason they can't seem to get the LTE maps right. This is true of the other 3 nationwide carriers too though.

The 3G maps are great but for some reason they can't seem to get the LTE maps right. This is true of the other 3 nationwide carriers too though.

This is why reporting speed/coverage issues in Sprint Zone [link: http://www.sprint.com/landings/sprintzone/index.html] (and to Tech Support) is so important. It gives Sprint real-time feedback on network performance to help improve the network for everyone.

• Like 4

This is why reporting speed/coverage issues in Sprint Zone (and to Tech Support) is so important. It gives Sprint real-time feedback on network performance to help improve the network for everyone.

I just had to send in one because I'm constantly dropping to no service and I'm in a very good lte coverage. It'll stay in no service until I toggle on and off airplane mode. It's been this way for a 3 weeks. I thought they would have discovered it by now but I guess not. Hopefully my request fixes this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My biggest fear with the inaccurate maps is that Sprint actually thinks I'm receiving what their maps are saying. I hope their network team uses a different set of maps than the maps the marketing team uses.

Different topic, one month in and there is still some bug in OC (could be elsewhere). Going from a strong LTE signal and kicking me off to 3g after the phone shows no signal... Something is weird here. Signalcheck will show LTE but no band and show a phone icon at the top of the screen and then I'll lose all signal before hoping on 3g. Weird. All this while parked at a traffic light. I hope they fix because I want Sprint to kick TMO and Verizon's face in.

Just wondering...is the OC you are referring to Ocean City MD.

The reason I ask, is that I just got back from a week of vacation there, and I experienced some weird situations with the LTE there.

Personally, there were multiple times when both Signal Check and the stock Android signal indicator showed that I was connected to strong LTE signal, but when I tried to use apps (such as Tapatalk) or surf the web, I couldn’t connect or it timed-out.

Strangely enough, when I toggled my phone to 3G only, I actually got blazing fast speeds.

So for the last 3 days when I was in Ocean City MD, I simply kept my phone set to 3G, and the speeds were fine.

I actually, only switched my phone back to LTE when crossed the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, heading back to Virginia, and I noticed that the LTE signal worked fine.

http://www.sprint.com/landings/datashare/index.html

It's a promotion for the 10GB/$100 and 40GB/$120 plans.

Can existing family share plans join this new family plan?  Want to take advantage of the deal which has no access fees.

Me too. I'm personally sick of Sprint's coverage maps. Inaccurate or not, I check them all from time to time and besides Verizon's ugly map, Sprint's also sucks. 

Not to start a whole rant, but my biggest problem is they still haven't just redone their map. First, I really think they need to change their algorithms and get a little looser with their coverage maps. They claim roaming in areas with 2-4 "bars" of native 3G. They claim a tiny blotch or two of Spark in the middle of the woods or random areas, miles away from the nearest tower.

I know coverage maps are exaggerated and inaccurate, but Sprint at the very least should even out their estimated coverage and preferably offer a much bigger map than the stupid square they have now. T-Mobile's previous map was by far the best, and it even had shades so you could know you'd only get LTE within the first two shades (if there even was LTE on a given tower). But bottom line: it was big, clean, and easy to use and interpret.

• Like 1

New customers only

That is one thing that drives me crazy about Sprint. Shouldn't have to call and threaten to leave just to get what new customers get. Especially since they don't need to pay any ETF.

• Like 6

I was on periscope watching a live stream and the person I was watching his connection froze up for 3 minutes and when it came back on someone commented saying he must have sprint and he replied back and said no I have T-Mobile. The other person who made this sprint comment wrote back and said oh that's strange. I had to laugh to myself cause people think that T-Mobile is free from data issues when in fact they aren't and if your data is buffering it's always gotta be sprint.

• Like 8

I was on periscope watching a live stream and the person I was watching his connection froze up for 3 minutes and when it came back on someone commented saying he must have sprint and he replied back and said no I have T-Mobile. The other person who made this sprint comment wrote back and said oh that's strange. I had to laugh to myself cause people think that T-Mobile is free from data issues when in fact they aren't and if your data is buffering it's always gotta be sprint.

I think that people that use a certain service tries to hype them up to justify why they are using them. I don't hype up any of the services I use. If I'm not satisfied with any service I receive (not limited to just cell service) I would to go the better competitor that suits my needs.

Sent from my Nexus 6

• Like 5

I think that people that use a certain service tries to hype them up to justify why they are using them. I don't hype up any of the services I use. If I'm not satisfied with any service I receive (not limited to just cell service) I would to go the better competitor that suits my needs.

Sent from my Nexus 6

I agree. If you have to hype up or justify your provider that means your not too sure about your decision and want to be validated by someone else to give you that ok.

• Like 2

Sent from my Nexus 6

I like this recent objective review of 3 out of 4 carriers (no Sprint yet):

Edit: I can't seem to add a link all of the sudden.

Edited by AppleFanBoy

Maybe this will work:

John should not have made this video until he included Sprint. Also the majority of his testing seems like it was based around if he could get service at home or not.

Sent from my Nexus 6

• Like 2

John should not have made this video until he included Sprint. Also the majority of his testing seems like it was based around if he could get service at home or not.

Sent from my Nexus 6

He also explained each time, that service my vary where you live.

• Like 4

I shouldn't have read the comments on the video. People are saying "You don't have to try Sprint, they suck."

This is is exactly what baffles me about consumers on social media. They're quick to tell you don't try something to see if it works for you. You should just trust them when they say it sucks. How would they know it sucks if they're just relaying what their sister's father's cousin's ex-girlfriend said when she had service 3 years ago.

Either way I want to hear what he has to say about his service in a few months.

• Like 6

I would love to see a survey of some sort of people who are with tmobile but wants to leave. I was on my Instagram and a add for T-Mobile popped up on my feed. It has over 5k in comments but a lot of them are people saying their service suck, it's trash, you lied to us, focus on the states rather than the boards, unlimited talk and text and no data.

• Like 1

I would love to see a survey of some sort of people who are with tmobile but wants to leave. I was on my Instagram and a add for T-Mobile popped up on my feed. It has over 5k in comments but a lot of them are people saying their service suck, it's trash, you lied to us, focus on the states rather than the boards, unlimited talk and text and no data.

IIRC, T-Mobile's churn is similar to Sprints.  T-Mobile just does a better job with gaining new subscribers to replace the old.

• Like 2

That's funny. I actually noticed the opposite on Facebook ads for T-Mobile. Lots of people thanking them for better service, great CS, etc. Obviously some negatives in there, but generally positive. Sprint's ads on Facebook used to be almost 100% negative, but I am seeing a small number of positive posts just scrolling through. Obviously not scientific at all, just an observation.

• Like 2

IIRC, T-Mobile's churn is similar to Sprints.  T-Mobile just does a better job with gaining new subscribers to replace the old.

Sprint's church was 1.84% the last quarter...which was much improved from previous quarters. T-Mobile just reported 1.3% church for this past quarter....will be interesting to see what Sprint reports this week for this past quarter.