Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I don't really care about 20-30 mbps but when its 2 mbps on average while the competition is 20-50mbps them there is a problem.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Terrell,

Sprint likely will get better once they start announcing new towers with band 41 as a priority. I really can't envision Sprint staying where it is in its current reputation. Softbank is going to make things happen for Sprint that'll be great for the company and its customers. I think Softbank is trying to figure out how they are going to have this develop, maybe while they act conservatively on it for a while, in hopes for some way to merge with T-Mobile, which is a better deal for Softbank/Sprint, than spending billions of dollars on new towers/sites.

Have you tried talking with Sprint Executive Relations? They were very helpful to my mother the few times we cancelled, with removing the restocking fees on two devices. One a Nexus 6, the other a Kyocera Hydro Vibe. Also, the stores removed the original defective units of both devices without a restocking fee. So all in all, Sprint accepted four device returns from me, without any restocking fee. I'd imagine if you were to call Sprint corporate and speak to executive relations, they'll let you out of the contract without any etf.

Sprint is very good with returns and cancellations, much better than some other companies. For instance, Comcast. Sprint realizes they need to upgrade their network, which they are not denying their issues, which is likely a reason they are so understanding about returns and cancellations. It's good they are, rather than trying to force people to keep them when they are not satisfied with the service. Hopefully Sprint corporate executive relations will help you.

Terrell,

Sprint likely will get better once they start announcing new towers with band 41 as a priority. I really can't envision Sprint staying where it is in its current reputation. Softbank is going to make things happen for Sprint that'll be great for the company and its customers. I think Softbank is trying to figure out how they are going to have this develop, maybe while they act conservatively on it for a while, in hopes for some way to merge with T-Mobile, which is a better deal for Softbank/Sprint, than spending billions of dollars on new towers/sites.

Have you tried talking with Sprint Executive Relations? They were very helpful to my mother the few times we cancelled, with removing the restocking fees on two devices. One a Nexus 6, the other a Kyocera Hydro Vibe. Also, the stores removed the original defective units of both devices without a restocking fee. So all in all, Sprint accepted four device returns from me, without any restocking fee. I'd imagine if you were to call Sprint corporate and speak to executive relations, they'll let you out of the contract without any etf.

Sprint is very good with returns and cancellations, much better than some other companies. For instance, Comcast. Sprint realizes they need to upgrade their network, which they are not denying their issues, which is likely a reason they are so understanding about returns and cancellations. It's good they are, rather than trying to force people to keep them when they are not satisfied with the service. Hopefully Sprint corporate executive relations will help you.

Worth a shot. I'll try it.

Well, the density of T-Mobiles urban sites definitely help.  I personally think Sprint tries to cover too many POPs with their low-bandwidth bands (B25/B26.)  If they dense up their networks, it would perform a lot better.  But it's costly. 

Well keep in mind that Sprint has not done meaningful expansion of the network in a long time. We're still looking at a legacy EVDO footprint running both B25 and B26.

• Like 4

Well keep in mind that Sprint has not done meaningful expansion of the network in a long time. We're still looking at a legacy EVDO footprint running both B25 and B26.

They are just starting to do Nextel conversions. I'm sure many of the locations overlap but that should have been done before. I know easier said than done.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

And that's part of the issue which Sprint is about to address. It's unfortunate that Sprint wasn't able to deploy chunks of spectrum instead of their 5x5 slices, but it is what it is. It definitely would have helped to have paired spectrum, but they played with the hand they were dealt. It's helped, and quite frankly it has fixed data issues. Unfortunately, with the penis-like speed measurements that people obsess with, Sprint has a long road ahead. Personally, 2-3 Mbps is more than enough for me, but the wireless industry environment now demands more than that.

I've experienced the same thing Terrell experienced with Sprint trying to cancel a 2 month old contract. Data was terrible in any part of Houston and Sprint did not want to budge. I eventually gave up once Sprint announced their NV plans and LTE rollout and the experience has been a lot better.

• Like 1

And that's part of the issue which Sprint is about to address. It's unfortunate that Sprint wasn't able to deploy chunks of spectrum instead of their 5x5 slices, but it is what it is. It definitely would have helped to have paired spectrum, but they played with the hand they were dealt. It's helped, and quite frankly it has fixed data issues. Unfortunately, with the penis-like speed measurements that people obsess with, Sprint has a long road ahead. Personally, 2-3 Mbps is more than enough for me, but the wireless industry environment now demands more than that.

I've experienced the same thing Terrell experienced with Sprint trying to cancel a 2 month old contract. Data was terrible in any part of Houston and Sprint did not want to budge. I eventually gave up once Sprint announced their NV plans and LTE rollout and the experience has been a lot better.

It's better just not what I expect but far beyond expectations in the voice department. But on another note I wonder if Sprint is going to drop more sponsors like Regal Cinemas I forgot they had a sponsorship with them. I can't see Sprint benefiting much from them if they are turning down the NBA and NASCAR and the funds could be put to better use. The only time I see Sprint is when they tell everyone to silence there phones which nobody now and days wants to be told what to do. Can't see how it's helping Sprint.

They are just starting to do Nextel conversions. I'm sure many of the locations overlap but that should have been done before. I know easier said than done.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Yep I know, and that's what I'm waiting to see.

• Like 1

That is technically a chunk of spectrum, keep that in mind. The challenge with deploying LTE for Sprint has been the lack of greenfield spectrum. Our competitors purchased unused spectrum and used it, same as Sprint using PCS G-block and Nextel eSMR. 

That is technically a chunk of spectrum, keep that in mind. The challenge with deploying LTE for Sprint has been the lack of greenfield spectrum. Our competitors purchased unused spectrum and used it, same as Sprint using PCS G-block and Nextel eSMR.

In today's world of wideband LTE, 10 Mhz of spectrum is no longer considered a "chunk". Every major operator has 10x10 carriers or larger in the mid and lower bands.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming Earnings Call on August 4th. Hopefully, we get official word on Sprint's 2x20MHz Band 41 Carrier Aggregation Deployment (now leaked), general LTE deployment progress (especially Bands 26/41), and some guidance on its "Next Generation Network" plan.

• Like 2

It's better just not what I expect but far beyond expectations in the voice department. But on another note I wonder if Sprint is going to drop more sponsors like Regal Cinemas I forgot they had a sponsorship with them. I can't see Sprint benefiting much from them if they are turning down the NBA and NASCAR and the funds could be put to better use. The only time I see Sprint is when they tell everyone to silence there phones which nobody now and days wants to be told what to do. Can't see how it's helping Sprint.

Who knows. Sprint seems to be more invested in Soccer, which in my opinion is a waste of money (unless they got a really good deal from the Gold Cup, but I doubt it since it was an international event). Unless the U.S. gets to host a world cup in the near future, advertising in Soccer is not a good move. America is not a soccer country so expanding your brand with soccer isn't smart. He seems to be going all in with that Miami F.C., which will not only be a niche market, but a regional one as well. Personally, I would have gone with football as the season is about to start up again.
  • Like 2

Who knows. Sprint seems to be more invested in Soccer, which in my opinion is a waste of money (unless they got a really good deal from the Gold Cup, but I doubt it since it was an international event). Unless the U.S. gets to host a world cup in the near future, advertising in Soccer is not a good move. America is not a soccer country so expanding your brand with soccer isn't smart. He seems to be going all in with that Miami F.C., which will not only be a niche market, but a regional one as well. Personally, I would have gone with football as the season is about to start up again.

Kind of hard to get the NFL when Verizon already has it.

On the contrary soccer is a massively expanding sport in the US. Just look at how many third division teams are popping up that are getting thousands of people in attendance and new expansion cities like OCSC bringing out tens of thousands of supporters in their first few seasons and now MLS. Add big money talking for new third and second division teams or mounting interest in the USMNT and woman's national team it'd hard to not see that soccer will be the next big sport with huge rewards if you invest early.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 4

Shentel doing well: http://seekingalpha.com/article/3382935-shenandoah-telecommunications-shen-ceo-chris-french-on-q2-2015-results-earnings-call-transcript

The transcription is a little rough in spots, but you should be able to get the gist.

We have 546 sites, 94% of the sites have LTE have 800 MHz LTE service. A 166 of the sites have three LTE carriers using 10 MHz of capacity harvested from our original 30 MHz of 1,900 spectrum. 86% of our data traffic is on LTE with 34% of the LTE traffic on 800 MHz. Average LTE speeds are approximately 5 Mbps. Data usage grew by 11% in the second quarter over the first quarter and 104% in the past year. We estimate the average customer is using approximately 4 GB a month. 39% of the voice traffic is on 800 MHz, blocked and dropped calls continue to stay low with blocked calls at 0.3%.

Engineering and site development is complete and equipment is on order for 35 Spark sites. We expect to complete additional sites before year end and 125 total sites by 2016. We have our fiber build to 199 cell sites and 157 Shentel sites and 42 to others with routes for an additional 31 sites under construction.

What will help – significantly help the 5 Mbps is going to be Spark. When we implement smart, we will be able to have a wider carrier and will be able to provide higher speeds. As far as densification, with almost 550 sites, we are pretty dense already. We have – we are looking at using some small cells, but we see particularly in our area that we are going to focus some on specific hotspots rather than using them for coverage or for capacity on a broader level.

We believe with the amount of spectrum and the number of sites we have and the addition of the 125 Spark lights we are going to have a very dense network.

The one thing we are looking at doing is, we are reengineering some of our sites to go from 3 sectors to 6 sectors, which help us with some capacity where we think we may need in the future.

• Like 9

On the contrary soccer is a massively expanding sport in the US. Just look at how many third division teams are popping up that are getting thousands of people in attendance and new expansion cities like OCSC bringing out tens of thousands of supporters in their first few seasons and now MLS. Add big money talking for new third and second division teams or mounting interest in the USMNT and woman's national team it'd hard to not see that soccer will be the next big sport with huge rewards if you invest early.

Sent from my Nexus 5

To say nothing of the interest and emotional(/monetary, too?) investment in soccer by the Latino community!  A tremendous future market.

• Like 3

In today's world of wideband LTE, 10 Mhz of spectrum is no longer considered a "chunk". Every major operator has 10x10 carriers or larger in the mid and lower bands.

I'm well aware of that, and there is reason how they have 10x10 FDD+ deployments. One of the reasons why B41 TDD works well for Sprint.

Any clue who the roaming partner is? Any guesses? US Cellular to turn on LTE Roaming within 60-90 days:

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/us-cellular-keeps-postpaid-subscriber-growth-chugging-along-q2/2015-07-31?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=internal

• Like 3

6 Sectors on 800/1900 or 6 sectors on 2.5? 

6 sectors on 2.5 is really easy since one does not need additional radio heads or antennas but if its additional 800/1900 sectors... interesting. 

• Like 6

Sent from my Nexus 5

It's still niche. It's behind NFL, NCAAF, MLB, NBA, NCAAB, and the NHL. Market exposure is still extremely limited, especially since most teams don't have the same TV exposure as other league pro teams.

Wether it is growing or not, its not something you want to use valuable advertising money in, especially if you're trying to grow a brand. There are times to invest in a growing trend but with the current environment of the wireless market, now is not the time to experiment with the CEO's hobby.

But that's just my opinion (and this is coming from a casual soccer fan)

• Like 2

It's still niche. It's behind NFL, NCAAF, MLB, NBA, NCAAB, and the NHL. Market exposure is still extremely limited, especially since most teams don't have the same TV exposure as other league pro teams.

Wether it is growing or not, its not something you want to use valuable advertising money in, especially if you're trying to grow a brand. There are times to invest in a growing trend but with the current environment of the wireless market, now is not the time to experiment with the CEO's hobby.

But that's just my opinion (and this is coming from a casual soccer fan)

Soccer has become HUGE in the KC and STL markets. Particularly the KC market, and is growing quickly elsewhere. The Women's World Cup grabbed very high ratings, beating out baseball and other sporting events on TV for every game that wasn't on cable. I would not call it niche. 

6 Sectors on 800/1900 or 6 sectors on 2.5? 

6 sectors on 2.5 is really easy since one does not need additional radio heads or antennas but if its additional 800/1900 sectors... interesting. 

If on 2.5, it would create an immense amount of capacity if the backhaul is available. Very interesting. I wonder if Sprint is looking into this option in the future.

If on 2.5, it would create an immense amount of capacity if the backhaul is available. Very interesting. I wonder if Sprint is looking into this option in the future.

Those are called high capacity split sector sites.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

Would it work the same way with 800/1900? Or is there a limitation with the antennae that have been deployed?

It's an 8t8r only thing.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1