Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

At this point google should break the update into two, one for spark, one for everything else that's taking it's sweet time. 

How do you know it's not Spark that's causing it to take it's sweet time?

How do you know it's not Spark that's causing it to take it's sweet time?

Because it's been confirmed to us that spark update has been finished since forever and the wait is on google.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Because it's been confirmed to us that spark update has been finished since forever and the wait is on google.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Where's this information stated?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

So I have had the N5 for a little while now, and I thought I would share some more impressions.  (Late to the party, but might still be helpful to someone else)

First of all...  if you think Sprints LTE network sucks and live in an area with LTE, this device is a must.  Honestly a night and day difference between this and the G2.  In some areas where I would roam with the G2, I can pick up a useable B25 signal with my N5. 

However, to get this amazing performance, flash the .15 radio!  Don't get me wrong, the .23 radio is still probably better than any other Sprint device for LTE RF performance, but the .15 is just incredible (if you live in an area that is mature with LTE and eCSFB, otherwise flash the .17 radio).

B26 comparisons ---  I want to begin with the fact that the N5's B25 coverage is BETTER than I got with my G2 on B26 (and yes I live and work in areas with plenty of live B26 sites).  The N5 blows away the G2 on B26 too.  Easily 8-10 dBm better.  For my daily commute, I drive roughly 18 miles between sites (A pretty sizable gap).  With my G2, I would roam and have LTE cut out for the majority of the trip.  Rough estimate - I would go without LTE for approximately 12-14 miles of the trip.  About 4 or 5 miles of the trip would be spent roaming through USCC.  Now with the N5, I get LTE for all but probably 2-3 miles! 

Battery life ---  Of course a bit worse than the G2.  But I have a car charger and tons of extra USB cables so I never have an issue keeping this charged.  I typically get 4-5 hours of SOT and a days use.  Plenty for me since I am never too far away from a charger.

I feel like Sprint reps should be pushing this device (even though it isn't the "new" thing anymore).  With this device, you finally can see what the Sprint network is capable of.  I will admit that with my G2 I was a little irritated from time to time with the network, but now my opinion has completely changed thanks to this device.

• Like 5

I use the stock radio and my G2 doesn't cut out like what yours does. My nexus 5 is maybe 5dbm better than than my G2.

So I have had the N5 for a little while now, and I thought I would share some more impressions. (Late to the party, but might still be helpful to someone else)

First of all... if you think Sprints LTE network sucks and live in an area with LTE, this device is a must. Honestly a night and day difference between this and the G2. In some areas where I would roam with the G2, I can pick up a useable B25 signal with my N5.

However, to get this amazing performance, flash the .15 radio! Don't get me wrong, the .23 radio is still probably better than any other Sprint device for LTE RF performance, but the .15 is just incredible (if you live in an area that is mature with LTE and eCSFB, otherwise flash the .17 radio).

B26 comparisons --- I want to begin with the fact that the N5's B25 coverage is BETTER than I got with my G2 on B26 (and yes I live and work in areas with plenty of live B26 sites). The N5 blows away the G2 on B26 too. Easily 8-10 dBm better. For my daily commute, I drive roughly 18 miles between sites (A pretty sizable gap). With my G2, I would roam and have LTE cut out for the majority of the trip. Rough estimate - I would go without LTE for approximately 12-14 miles of the trip. About 4 or 5 miles of the trip would be spent roaming through USCC. Now with the N5, I get LTE for all but probably 2-3 miles!

Battery life --- Of course a bit worse than the G2. But I have a car charger and tons of extra USB cables so I never have an issue keeping this charged. I typically get 4-5 hours of SOT and a days use. Plenty for me since I am never too far away from a charger.

I feel like Sprint reps should be pushing this device (even though it isn't the "new" thing anymore). With this device, you finally can see what the Sprint network is capable of. I will admit that with my G2 I was a little irritated from time to time with the network, but now my opinion has completely changed thanks to this device.

Had my best network day the other day, I can't seem to keep data signal while the phone I'd stationary at my desk. I flipped the radio to LTE only and streamed an entire soccer game (no lag or stuttering afaik) on NBC live extra app.

My connection was about 112-115 the whole time.

The app wouldn't even load on 3g.

I use the stock radio and my G2 doesn't cut out like what yours does. My nexus 5 is maybe 5dbm better than than my G2.

Yeah, honestly the difference between the G2 and the N5 on the stock .23 radio is probably right around 5 dBm like you said. 

It is when you flash either the .15 or .17 radio, that adds another 5-10 dBm to the already good .23 radio, that things get ridiculous.

I live on the edge of Sprint's native coverage, so any extra boost really helps.

• Like 2

Had my best network day the other day, I can't seem to keep data signal while the phone I'd stationary at my desk. I flipped the radio to LTE only and streamed an entire soccer game (no lag or stuttering afaik) on NBC live extra app.

Well at work I've been using it to offload our WiFi...yes To offload our WiFi. It is pretty bad at Target as of late especially with construction going on.

what's the difference between the .17 radio and the .23 radio?

The .17 radio will give you slightly better dBm numbers and will hold onto a weaker LTE signal longer. But I've found that I get better 3G speeds than LTE speeds in places where the .17 radio stays on LTE when the .23 radio would switch to 3G.

• Like 2

The YouTube app blows. I use YouTube through my chrome app in desktop mode. The quality has improved for me to what it should be for videos, aka crappy videos look crappy but watchable and not just pixilated garbage.

The YouTube app blows. I use YouTube through my chrome app in desktop mode. The quality has improved for me to what it should be for videos, aka crappy videos look crappy but watchable and not just pixilated garbage.

Clever idea but the app is so much easier to use.

Clever idea but the app is so much easier to use.

Oh I agree with you, it even looks more pleasant to the eye. However I have it saved as a bookmark so its just about as easy to go to chrome(which is usually open with some article I'm meaning to read) and click my bookmark.

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/more-evidence-emerges-for-the-htc-nexus-8-flounder-google-molly-appears/

Interesting...the linked changelog contains a lot of entries for hammerhead (our Nexus 5), including a swath of radio updates.

project vendor/lge/hammerhead/
a95d3c0 hammerhead: Add permission for Sprint HiddenMenu
---Snipped---
5ccff41 Revert "Add QXDMLogger v1.7" [DO NOT MERGE]
8c6a8f9 Update signed radio image M8974A-2.0.50.0.12
9717cc4 Update signed radio image M8974A-2.0.50.0.11
4633977 Update signed radio image M8974A-2.0.50.0.10
863bcac Update signed radio image M8974A-2.0.50.0.09
e9997f3 Update signed radio image M8974A-2.0.50.0.08
857efc1 Revert "Revert "Add QXDMLogger v1.7""
ac0734e Update signed radio image M8974A-2.0.50.0.05
706925f Update signed radio image M8974A-2.0.50.0.04
a8736a3 Update signed radio image M8974A-2.0.50.0.03
7675eb2 Revert "Update the signed bootloader image HHZ11m"
16a039c Revert "Update the signed bootloader image HHZ11n"
60f0340 Update signed radio image M8974A-2.0.50.0.02 [DO NOT MERGE]
b12d1d0 Update signed radio image M8974A-2.0.50.0.01 [DO NOT MERGE]
03b422b Update the signed bootloader image HHZ11n
76a31db Update the signed bootloader image HHZ11m
ad09cfe Update signed radio image M8974A-1.0.25.0.23

We can see our current radio version, M8974A-1.0.25.0.23 at the very bottom, has gone through many revisions in the last little while!

• Like 3

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/more-evidence-emerges-for-the-htc-nexus-8-flounder-google-molly-appears/

Interesting...the linked changelog contains a lot of entries for hammerhead (our Nexus 5), including a swath of radio updates.

project vendor/lge/hammerhead/
a95d3c0 hammerhead: Add permission for Sprint HiddenMenu
---Snipped---
5ccff41 Revert "Add QXDMLogger v1.7" [DO NOT MERGE]
8c6a8f9 Update signed radio image M8974A-2.0.50.0.12
9717cc4 Update signed radio image M8974A-2.0.50.0.11
4633977 Update signed radio image M8974A-2.0.50.0.10
863bcac Update signed radio image M8974A-2.0.50.0.09
e9997f3 Update signed radio image M8974A-2.0.50.0.08
857efc1 Revert "Revert "Add QXDMLogger v1.7""
ac0734e Update signed radio image M8974A-2.0.50.0.05
706925f Update signed radio image M8974A-2.0.50.0.04
a8736a3 Update signed radio image M8974A-2.0.50.0.03
7675eb2 Revert "Update the signed bootloader image HHZ11m"
16a039c Revert "Update the signed bootloader image HHZ11n"
60f0340 Update signed radio image M8974A-2.0.50.0.02 [DO NOT MERGE]
b12d1d0 Update signed radio image M8974A-2.0.50.0.01 [DO NOT MERGE]
03b422b Update the signed bootloader image HHZ11n
76a31db Update the signed bootloader image HHZ11m
ad09cfe Update signed radio image M8974A-1.0.25.0.23

We can see our current radio version, M8974A-1.0.25.0.23 at the very bottom, has gone through many revisions in the last little while!

Good find. All i want this update to do is enable triband and fix data drops.  I called sprint about my msl and they questioned me like im a terrorist.   

• Like 3

Good find. All i want this update to do is enable triband and fix data drops. I called sprint about my msl and they questioned me like im a terrorist.

Are you under contract? I had the same issue with different sprint reps until one of them mentioned that I was still under contract with my GS3 even though I switched to framily plan and got the N5 on easy pay.

I get great LTE speeds, too but only when I force it. Otherwise the thing is constantly on 3G. But I don't do it often because I still need to take calls as it's still, ya know, a phone.

Having used my nexus 5 on radio .15 for most of the year, my HK One came in yesterday and spark works so much better.

Anyone that has been tempted by the new One, I have to say that I am very impressed over both usability and performance and spark functionality thus far.

It makes it that much more annoying that the n5 spark update has not yet rolled out so I can compare them directly.

• Like 1

Good find. All i want this update to do is enable triband and fix data drops.  I called sprint about my msl and they questioned me like im a terrorist.   

You can easily pull your MSL from ADB.

instead of asking for "MSL" ask for "activation code"

or just log in to your sprint web account and switch phones, it will give and email you the code when you switch/activate a phone.

I don't understand you guys' problem with getting an msl from sprint.  I did the chat, and asked for it, and he gave it to me.  Was I really that lucky?