Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Excuse my ignorance, but how do you do LTE only mode? Are we talking Preferred Network types or something else?

Its in the hidden menus, and its different than preferred network types. LTE only mode literally only let's your n5 pick up LTE, you won't drop back to 3g/1x for calls or if you lose your LTE signal. The easiest way for me has been the nexus 5 field test app from the play store.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Excuse my ignorance, but how do you do LTE only mode? Are we talking Preferred Network types or something else?

In the dialer do *#*#INFO#*#* > Phone Info > Scroll down and change "Set Preferred Network Type" to LTE Only.

Its in the hidden menus, and its different than preferred network types. LTE only mode literally only let's your n5 pick up LTE, you won't drop back to 3g/1x for calls or if you lose your LTE signal. The easiest way for me has been the nexus 5 field test app from the play store.

Thanks! Got excited then realized I need 3g for calls.

In the dialer do *#*#INFO#*#* > Phone Info > Scroll down and change "Set Preferred Network Type" to LTE Only.

Thanks for the info!  :tu:

Does anyone else have have intermittent bootloops?  whenever I restart my phone, I get the google screen at least 4 times before the bootanimation, and sometimes it seems like it won't go away so I go into the bootloader and shut the phone down and when I turn it back on it will restart 4 or 5 times and finally work.

Does anyone else have have intermittent bootloops?  whenever I restart my phone, I get the google screen at least 4 times before the bootanimation, and sometimes it seems like it won't go away so I go into the bootloader and shut the phone down and when I turn it back on it will restart 4 or 5 times and finally work.

I had this happen to me a couple of times about a week or so after I got the n5 and it hasn't happened since.

That has never happened to me, been using my N5 daily since November. And I mess around with it a lot.

-Mike

• Like 3

That has never happened to me, been using my N5 daily since November. And I mess around with it a lot.

Does your wife know about this?  Maybe you are like Donald Sterling.  You simultaneously have a wife and a girlfriend -- the Nexus 5.

:P

AJ

• Like 3

I just grabbed the field test app. Its showing different band priorities than I set without it.

What works best around St Charles for each band priority? Is a higher number more like to connect to or are lower numbers the prefered band.?

Right now

Band 41=3

Band 25=2

Band 26=1

Sent from Nexus 5

I just grabbed the field test app. Its showing different band priorities than I set without it.

What works best around St Charles for each band priority? Is a higher number more like to connect to or are lower numbers the prefered band.?

Right now

Band 41=3

Band 25=2

Band 26=1

Sent from Nexus 5

All the priorities do is tell the phone what to scan for first. The network actually decides what band to put and keep you on.

All the priorities do is tell the phone what to scan for first. The network actually decides what band to put and keep you on.

I took the advice and grabbed that app as well.  However I, too, noticed the issue with the app setting the priorities differently from what i originally had in place.  I wonder why that is.  Also, if I actually go in using the*#*#3282#*#* method, the only choices I get for band priority are 0 or 1.  There is not even an option for a 2 or a 3 and all 3 bands I have set to "enable."  Is that odd or is that normal?

I took the advice and grabbed that app as well. However I, too, noticed the issue with the app setting the priorities differently from what i originally had in place. I wonder why that is. Also, if I actually go in using the*#*#3282#*#* method, the only choices I get for band priority are 0 or 1. There is not even an option for a 2 or a 3 and all 3 bands I have set to "enable." Is that odd or is that normal?

That is normal. Give B41 & B26 a 1. It will scan for those two first.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I took the advice and grabbed that app as well. However I, too, noticed the issue with the app setting the priorities differently from what i originally had in place. I wonder why that is. Also, if I actually go in using the*#*#3282#*#* method, the only choices I get for band priority are 0 or 1. There is not even an option for a 2 or a 3 and all 3 bands I have set to "enable." Is that odd or is that normal?

When you set them you use ones and zeros. I have noticed that after changing priorities it only switches to saying 1-2-3 after connecting to LTE. So I'm assuming that its the network saying, "Hey that's wrong. Here's your priorities idiot."

• Like 1

When you set them you use ones and zeros. I have noticed that after changing priorities it only switches to saying 1-2-3 after connecting to LTE. So I'm assuming that its the network saying, "Hey that's wrong. Here's your priorities idiot."

LOL!  You're probably right!

If you do view instead of edit its the same way. Basically based on the radio there is a priority built in and you only have binary control over setting one category over the other so if b26 is higher than b41 and both are set to one b26 will always be 1 and b42 2 and b25 3 etc.

• Like 1

I took the advice and grabbed that app as well.  However I, too, noticed the issue with the app setting the priorities differently from what i originally had in place.  I wonder why that is.  Also, if I actually go in using the*#*#3282#*#* method, the only choices I get for band priority are 0 or 1.  There is not even an option for a 2 or a 3 and all 3 bands I have set to "enable."  Is that odd or is that normal?

Just to clarify one thing.. all the Nexus Field Text app does is provide a shortcut to the same screens you get when you enter the dialer code. This is the same thing that the System Shortcut menu options in SignalCheck Pro do. There is no separate app; whether you use FT, SCP, or the dialer code, you are accessing the exact same screen.

-Mike

• Like 5

Does your wife know about this?  Maybe you are like Donald Sterling.  You simultaneously have a wife and a girlfriend -- the Nexus 5.

She encourages it! The less time I spend with her, the happier she is.. ;)

No Sterling over here.. and apparently that gal is just his archivist, not girlfriend. Like it matters, he is all done anyways.

-Mike

• Like 1

She encourages it! The less time I spend with her, the happier she is.. ;)

No Sterling over here.. and apparently that gal is just his archivist, not girlfriend. Like it matters, he is all done anyways.

Well, answer a few questions.  Have you set up your Nexus 5 with a place of its own?  Is your Nexus 5 of "mixed race"?  Do you take your Nexus 5 to sporting events but not take your wife?  Do you not want your Nexus 5 associating with that minority (market share) operator T-Mobile?

Hmm...

AJ

• Like 1

Well, answer a few questions.  Have you set up your Nexus 5 with a place of its own?  Is your Nexus 5 of "mixed race"?  Do you take your Nexus 5 to sporting events but not take your wife?  Do you not want your Nexus 5 associating with that minority (market share) operator T-Mobile?

Hmm...

It does have a designated semi-private spot on my nightstand. It's not mixed race, it's 100% black. I always take my N5.. but the wife usually comes too. I've let my N5 play on T-Mobile, but only briefly, and it made me uncomfortable. Hmm..

Side note: Just saw the details about Sterling's punishment, nice to see the maximums applied. Interesting that he hasn't said a word this entire time.. guess he finally learned to keep his mouth shut, just a little too late.

-Mike

• Like 1

It does have a designated semi-private spot on my nightstand. It's not mixed race, it's 100% black. I always take my N5.. but the wife usually comes too. I've let my N5 play on T-Mobile, but only briefly, and it made me uncomfortable. Hmm..

Side note: Just saw the details about Sterling's punishment, nice to see the maximums applied. Interesting that he hasn't said a word this entire time.. guess he finally learned to keep his mouth shut, just a little too late.

-Mike

"100% black"

^^this!!

That is normal. Give B41 & B26 a 1. It will scan for those two first.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Alright.  I did that and then I forced it to LTE only.  It didn't find a signal (there is LTE here in this location).  So I toggled airplane mode and for a brief flash of a fraction of a second, it indicated a strong LTE signal (full bars) before immediately falling back to a moderate 3G signal.  So I toggled it again.  Same thing.  Brief flash of LTE and then back to 3G (with really decent speeds on 3G, mind you).  I'm on wifi at home of course and so it's not the biggest issue right here.  But I wanted to share my findings.

Also while at work yesterday I did force it into LTE only mode and DID connect to LTE but not nearly as strong of a signal as my GS4 picked up in the exact same location.  I will try talking to Sprint again in the store nearest me but the last 2 times I went in they seemed to not even know what ecsfb is nor anything about network vision 2.0.  The tech wouldn't even look at my phone. He just said, "oh yeah, just give it some time.  Once the towers are upgraded it will be fine."  

That's why I let it ride out so long.  Unless they can demonstrate that the phone is, in fact, faulty then I can get a replacement from Google.  But I need them to definitively tell me/prove it first. 

That's why I let it ride out so long.  Unless they can demonstrate that the phone is, in fact, faulty then I can get a replacement from Google.  But I need them to definitively tell me/prove it first. 

That could be the hard part. I'm confident there is an issue. What this issue is, I'm not sure, but it sure is acting weird. Just keep trying until you get an knowledgeable repair tech. And don't let them get off with the "towers are being upgraded" or "wait until the network is finished" because we already know that it is finished.

• Like 1

That could be the hard part. I'm confident there is an issue. What this issue is, I'm not sure, but it sure is acting weird. Just keep trying until you get an knowledgeable repair tech. And don't let them get off with the "towers are being upgraded" or "wait until the network is finished" because we already know that it is finished.

Alright.  It's walking distance and I need to stop by the CVS next door to it anyway.  So I'm gonna buck up and walk over there and try my best not to be sarcastic in my dealings with them (personal fault, I know).  ...evolving story.

Dumb question, but have you tried updating profile? I had issues a while back and that helped me in the past.

Ya know what?  I was at first like, "yes, I've done that a thousand times!"  And I have done it many times.  However....I did it again just now and for the very firs time I connected to Band 26 at home.  Freaky but awesome!  Maybe after I adjusted the band priorities according to a previous post today and then did the PRL update it might have made B26 look more appealing to the device than band 25.  Huh....whatever the reason I'm definitely stoked!

• Like 1