HTC One M8 User Thread

themuffinman

This is just a rumor, so I don't want to start its own thread, but this rumor makes me drool...  :drool: :drool:

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/12/04/htc-hima-one-m9/

SD 810, 5" display, with FHD (1080p)...  That is what I'm talking about.  Enough with these devices getting bigger and bigger with unnecessary pixel density.  If this comes true, I know what my next device will be.

• Like 2

Can anyone explain to me why in the heck you would need a 20+ megapixel camera? Wouldn't that result in a really big file for each photo taken.

TS

Exactly. I really don't get the hate for the Ultra pixel camera. Like 90% of the Internet, I use my phone to take pictures of cats and food to post on Instagram. A 4 Megapixel Ultra pixel camera is perfect for these low light conditions.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Can anyone explain to me why in the heck you would need a 20+ megapixel camera? Wouldn't that result in a really big file for each photo taken.

TS

Because, the higher the number, the better the phone will sell. If manufacturers could stick a 50mp camera in a phone, they would. People think more is all that's required to make a camera better. Which is why the iPhone camera that blows the doors off almost all mobile cameras gets slammed for only being 8mp.

Sent from my iPhone 6

• Like 2

Because, the higher the number, the better the phone will sell. If manufacturers could stick a 50mp camera in a phone, they would. People think more is all that's required to make a camera better. Which is why the iPhone camera that blows the doors off almost all mobile cameras gets slammed for only being 8mp.

Sent from my iPhone 6

The iPhone camera doesn't get slammed at all! What are you talking about? Only Apple has been able to get away with having an 8MP camera and no one bothers them. It's because everyone knows iPhone cameras are the best on any mobile device.

Thinking about jumping on the M8 HK $320 off promo. Anyone got good things to say about the RF performance?

Sent from my LG-LS980

I haven't noticed any issues. Compared to my M7, the battery is fantastic. Almost as good as my Droid Maxx. I compared music to my iPod (same song, same ear buds) and the iPod was louder but had noticeable distortion. The M8 HK had a noticeably better dynamic range. All in all, I love mine. Until the next model comes out, then I'll be lusting after the new shiny thing. ????

• Like 1

Thinking about jumping on the M8 HK $320 off promo. Anyone got good things to say about the RF performance?

Sent from my LG-LS980

In my experience compared to the HTC One max. It's quicker to drop signal when attach to band 41. What I do like about the device and not sure if this is true for other sprint triband devices, but it wasn't the case for the nexus 5 and HTC one max. I'm able to disable band 25,26 or 41 to track and test where signal strength and performance. More so that 8T8R are coming on i've noticed it has low threshold for band 41 at least on my device even when there is usable signal around. But where u live may be different so may not apply. Do like the call quality it has strong 3g performance over evdo and 1x from my obervations as well. LTE antenna for band 25 and 26 and good! Do want to note antennas seem more senstive too me though in fringe cases compared to the one Max. It'll stick to 3g than kick to LTE but I almost think that is a battery thing. As the battery is really good, and strong signal helps not drain it down. So I think that may be part of the design of the devices characteristics to perserve longetivity.
  • Like 1

I am also having full signal drops about one a day now. I know it's a known software bug, but it is not widely discussed.

My phone will show connection to voice/LTE and even WiFi. It gives no warning at all of a lack of connection, but texts/calls/data just stop. Having a lot of complaints from the family on this. Reboot works but I don't know for how long it stays up each time.

I can't upgrade the Sprint Zone app either (oh boo hoo) but I keep getting version warnings and it just won't go, even with a manual attempt within the app.

The browser had gone wonky on both my M8 H/K and my wife's M7 lately. Way slow, unresponsive keyboard at times.

This line of phones is becoming less useful with insane battery drain that is increased over the last 3 weeks or so. I certainly hope that the Lollipop upgrade comes with more fixes. HTC ignored complaints about the updates in the app store for a month. Not feeling the M8 love here as much. This phone rocked until Nov.

Yes I'm stock, not rooted... Done that with my phones starting with the original EVO and just not up for the work anymore.

Any others in this boat?

I don't know that I agree, been on Android since there was an Android. This is specific and measurable across two devices with nothing else in common but the software provided by HTC.

I'll try the recommended browser though, thanks!

I don't know that I agree, been on Android since there was an Android. This is specific and measurable across two devices with nothing else in common but the software provided by HTC.

I'll try the recommended browser though, thanks!

My brother uses a M7 and my dad uses a M8. No complaints from them recently. Battery life is still within the normal range, no lag, no random signal drops. Perhaps an app you've both downloaded?

Yea. I think that's more of an Android problem, than HTC. My Samsung eventually get slow too with keyboard taking a while to come up. I plan on doing a full reset once lollipop comes out.

I'm leaning towards it being an HTC issue. For me it usually happens in the middle of the night when sense starts to shut things down for power savings.

• Like 1

I am also having full signal drops about one a day now. I know it's a known software bug, but it is not widely discussed.

My phone will show connection to voice/LTE and even WiFi. It gives no warning at all of a lack of connection, but texts/calls/data just stop. Having a lot of complaints from the family on this. Reboot works but I don't know for how long it stays up each time.

I can't upgrade the Sprint Zone app either (oh boo hoo) but I keep getting version warnings and it just won't go, even with a manual attempt within the app.

The browser had gone wonky on both my M8 H/K and my wife's M7 lately. Way slow, unresponsive keyboard at times.

This line of phones is becoming less useful with insane battery drain that is increased over the last 3 weeks or so. I certainly hope that the Lollipop upgrade comes with more fixes. HTC ignored complaints about the updates in the app store for a month. Not feeling the M8 love here as much. This phone rocked until Nov.

Yes I'm stock, not rooted... Done that with my phones starting with the original EVO and just not up for the work anymore.

Any others in this boat?

Same exact thing here for me. I've gone back to stock even and did all the updates in order. Factory reset didn't help. I've reactivated, done the profile update, etc but still once every day or two days data stops working or I get call not sent and only rebooting fixes it. Started around early November on my m8 hk.

• Like 1

I'm also getting the ItsOn battery drain and random data/call failure.  Doesn't seem as frequent as others though, maybe once a week.  I can normally squeeze 1-2 days on battery, but ItsOn drops that to about 8-12 hours when it does whatever its doing.

• Like 1

I'm also getting the ItsOn battery drain and random data/call failure. Doesn't seem as frequent as others though, maybe once a week. I can normally squeeze 1-2 days on battery, but ItsOn drops that to about 8-12 hours when it does whatever its doing.

Can you post a screen shot of ItsOn's battery usage when it does its thing? My battery life has been down to about 8 hours tops lately, so I'll reset and reinstall things as soon as Lollipop comes out. I don't think it's anything in particular draining the battery, as everything is just slower. Keyboard might take a second or two to pop out now instead of it being nearly instantaneous.

I really wish battery usage was reported and normalized to mAH, instead of just a percentage. I bet my Gmail uses 2 to 3 times as much battery for same amount of email add before.

Just saw this on Phandroid. Anybody here having problems with phone calls? I haven't noticed any, but I rarely use my phone for phone calls.

http://phandroid.com/2014/12/12/htc-one-m8-m7-voice-calls-no-longer-working/

Last week I started randomly having the problems described in the article. I have had several occasions when an incoming call would not ring my phone, but instead go straight to voicemail. I've also had other times when a call would ring my phone, I'd answer it, and hear absolutely nothing.

My personal guess is that it the problem had to do with either the HTC Service Pack updates, or the WiFi Calling feature screwing up my phone.

The simplest resolution I've found is to reboot the phone.

• Like 1

Can you post a screen shot of ItsOn's battery usage when it does its thing? My battery life has been down to about 8 hours tops lately, so I'll reset and reinstall things as soon as Lollipop comes out. I don't think it's anything in particular draining the battery, as everything is just slower. Keyboard might take a second or two to pop out now instead of it being nearly instantaneous.

I really wish battery usage was reported and normalized to mAH, instead of just a percentage. I bet my Gmail uses 2 to 3 times as much battery for same amount of email add before.

Yeah, I'll take a screenshot the next time it happens.  I think ItsOn shows around 35-50% usage when my battery drains fast... otherwise it doesn't show up at all.