LTE Plus / Enhanced LTE (was "Sprint Spark" - Official Name for the Tri-Band Network)

I guess I should also throw in the Note 3 signal bars also show LTE strength.

I noticed this myself. I think that's great. Next I wish they could implement the status bar to differ between 1X and 3G. I understand 1X is a 3G technology but it's nice to know the difference. I find myself checking signal check a lot when I feel as though my data is slow. Most of the time it's because I'm not really connected to "3G" but 1X.

I've read through the last 4-5 pages, and don't see this addressed.  I have 3 things/questions/comments: 

#1. It appears that the 4.3 update for the S4 does not show equivalent signal bars to LTE strength, IF one can believe the Signal Check depiction of bar strength, which I'm pretty sure is close to how OS determines the signal. 

#2. I notice that if I have strong LTE outside (-80-85dBm) and go into a building, I'll lose the LTE and pick up eHRPD quite strongly (-55dBm). Since I have a S4, I'll only get the band 25 1900LTE and the eHRPD broadcasting is also off the 1900 band.  Are the radios just that much stronger for the 3G than the LTE? Will this eventually give me 1900LTE inside the building equivalent to the 3G that I'm seeing? 

#3. I also see that if I drive around the city with the LTE Engineering mode on, it'll report that I'm always connected to LTE just very low at -117dBm.  At this point, the phone/signalcheck report that I'm getting 3G because that signal is stronger and it bumps to that for data connectivity. 

SO, will 1900LTE be equivalent to eHRPD 1900 as far as signal and connection?  Or are the LTE radios just weaker?  Will they be "turning up" the strength of signal on towers as a market matures?  Or it is what it is and the LTE will not be any better on 1900 than it is when they first turn on the tower?  Perhaps I assumed that I'd at least be getting LTE where I had 3G before, inside or out.  

Feel free to link me to an article that discusses this, I couldn't really find one that discussed this explicitly. 

It's all relative. SignalCheck may see -100dbm on LTE as 2-3 bars of LTE and Sprint may see that as 1 bar.

Already posted in the G2 users thread, but we'll put it here too.

Did Sprint finally go out and find their answer to Neville Ray? Or is this someone SoftBank wanted Sprint to hire sent in by Masayoshi Son?

If you manually do, or sprint initiates an update profile operation, it always updates the band priorities.

I mentioned this the first week or so of having the nexus 5, that the nexus 5 'spark update' may be nothing more than a network pushed profile update to enable the bands and set the priorities without the user having to manually enable them.

We have had at least 2 confirmed band 41 connections on nexus 5, so there does not seem to be any device problem connecting, but appears to based on the tower and/or network acceptance of the n5 connection.

Already posted in the G2 users thread, but we'll put it here too.http://youtu.be/jraAjJUoPxQDid Sprint finally go out and find their answer to Neville Ray? Or is this someone SoftBank wanted Sprint to hire sent in by Masayoshi Son?

What configuration was this in? They said 60 MHz, but what MIMO, what modulation, etc.?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

What configuration was this in? They said 60 MHz, but what MIMO, what modulation, etc.?

I'm assuming 60 MHz TDD to 1.3 Gbps would involve 8x8 MIMO and both downstream and upstream OFDMA.

• Like 1

I bet Sprint will market this as 5G and it'll be available likely 2016.

It won't be on any smartphones for a long time.

Manufacturers are still trying to figure out how to place a 4x4 LTE antenna on a phone and not incur a size and weight penalty. LTE Advanced like this will be in dongles first. I wish NSN would sell that dongle for Sprint though, that would be epic.

• Like 2

In the video, NSN's Eric Ortiz mentions that NSN and Sprint are using 2.6 GHz spectrum, aka band 41, configuration 2 of TD-LTE (which is 80% down/ 20% up), and LTE advanced features. Forward to :47 of the video.

In the video, NSN's Eric Ortiz mentions that NSN and Sprint are using 2.6 GHz spectrum, aka band 41, configuration 2 of TD-LTE (which is 80% down/ 20% up), and LTE advanced features. Forward to :47 of the video.

Right. I guess I should look up what configuration 2 is. Once I know what they're using I can determine how likely that is and pressure my vendors of its likely.

Already posted in the G2 users thread, but we'll put it here too.

Did Sprint finally go out and find their answer to Neville Ray? Or is this someone SoftBank wanted Sprint to hire sent in by Masayoshi Son?

Can't wait!! I think they are launching/deploying 20 x2 (40 mhz) sometime next summer and from a video I saw it can do over 100 mbps. Hopefully the 2014 line up of triband phones will support that

• Like 1

So laptopmag had a review of the Samsung Galaxy Mega testing sprink spark in NYC and came across some interesting numbers actual comparison between the HTC One Max, and the Galaxy Note 3 single band performance...http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/smartphones/samsung-galaxy-mega-sprint.aspx

• Like 2

So laptopmag had a review of the Samsung Galaxy Mega testing sprink spark in NYC and came across some interesting numbers actual comparison between the HTC One Max, and the Galaxy Note 3 single band performance...http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/smartphones/samsung-galaxy-mega-sprint.aspx

Well, at least everyone knows Spark is worth it!