LTE Plus / Enhanced LTE (was "Sprint Spark" - Official Name for the Tri-Band Network)

Does the Spark update include anything besides flipping the switches in the ##DATA# menu?  What are the default LTE band priorities set to ##DATA#?  Also is there any added bloatware app on your phone that says Sprint Spark?  Is the B41 LTE stable now? Sorry for the 21 questions.  Thanks in advance.

1) no idea

2) I see all of them enabled, but don't have the MSL to check

3) I don't see any

4) no way to check, no B41 at my local site

I'll find out more as I drive around the area and see if I can pick up B41.

1) no idea

2) I see all of them enabled, but don't have the MSL to check

3) I don't see any

4) no way to check, no B41 at my local site

I'll find out more as I drive around the area and see if I can pick up B41.

For number 2, you don't need your MSL to view the default LTE priorities.  You only need your MSL to edit the values if you want to change the LTE priorities. 

All you have to do is type ##DATA#, click on LTE ->View->Band Priority, all 3 LTE bands should be listed with a number 1, 2, or 3.

For number 2, you don't need your MSL to view the default LTE priorities.  You only need your MSL to edit the values if you want to change the LTE priorities. 

All you have to do is type ##DATA#, click on LTE ->View->Band Priority, all 3 LTE bands should be listed with a number 1, 2, or 3.

Doesn't show priorities.

Anyone that preordered the LG G2 via Sprint, have you guys gotten your Quickwindow cases yet?  I called Sprint earlier this week and they said they were starting to ship them out on Nov 11th.  I figured it should be coming to our doorsteps any day between now and end of next week.

I'm not gonna lie, it was pretty cool to see the Spark logo and LTE next to it. In this day and age, the whole world has LTE, so differentiating it does wonders. I actually got a little giddy because I thought I connected to B41 at first.

• Like 1

So basically, "Turbo" = gigabit fiber backhaul, since I doubt there's a reliable microwave solution available yet for such speeds.

Since the NV backhaul contracts & gear call for scalability up to 1Gbps, are you saying that Sprint will be taking full advantage of those and jumping straight from the standard 100 Mbps to 1Gbps for their backhaul, even though the initial TDD deployment only calls for one 20MHz carrier per sector (or 3 total carriers per site, rather than 9)? If so, that is wise forethought- it would allow the deployment of additional LTE carriers on 2600 or even PCS to occur much more quickly.

A few things here.  Number 1...new microwave equipment with the proper conditions and enough bandwidth can run 1Gbps.  This is not a microwave limitation.  

Number 2...I should not have said that the new Spark Turbo backhaul is capable of 3 carriers running at full speed on all three sectors.  I should have said that it is at least sufficient now to support at least 1 20MHz carrier at full speeds and is a clear upgrade from the legacy Clearwire backhaul in place.  It may be enough for all three carriers now, but I bet what is at each Spark Turbo site is highly variable.  I think the point of the Turbo moniker is to let people know this site has been upgraded and can be expected to perform very well...much better than the average Clearwire backhauled site.

Number 3...your points about Sprint NV backhaul, while being accurate to Sprint NV sites, is not currently the case for Clearwire sites that have not received NV upgrades (like Spark Turbo sites).  We don't know Sprint's long term plans for Clearwire sites specifically, yet, as far as receiving Network Vision upgrades.  We know they have to be receiving one hell of a backhaul upgrade to support Spark, though.  Your point about NV backhaul will not become relevant until Sprint starts deploying Band 41 on NV sites in 2014.

A few things here.  Number 1...new microwave equipment with the proper conditions and enough bandwidth can run 1Gbps.  This is not a microwave limitation.  

Number 2...I should not have said that the new Spark Turbo backhaul is capable of 3 carriers running at full speed on all three sectors.  I should have said that it is at least sufficient now to support at least 1 20MHz carrier at full speeds and is a clear upgrade from the legacy Clearwire backhaul in place.  It may be enough for all three carriers now, but I bet what is at each Spark Turbo site is highly variable.  I think the point of the Turbo moniker is to let people know this site has been upgraded and can be expected to perform very well...much better than the average Clearwire backhauled site.

Number 3...your points about Sprint NV backhaul, while being accurate to Sprint NV sites, is not currently the case for Clearwire sites that have not received NV upgrades (like Spark Turbo sites).  We don't know Sprint's long term plans for Clearwire sites specifically, yet, as far as receiving Network Vision upgrades.  We know they have to be receiving one hell of a backhaul upgrade to support Spark, though.  Your point about NV backhaul will not become relevant until Sprint starts deploying Band 41 on NV sites in 2014.

1.) I had interpreted your post to mean that the backhaul for "Turbo" sites would rely exclusively on fiber rather than microwave.. I apologize if I was mistaken. If Sprint needs to resort to microwave in some areas (probably only on more rural, and therefore non-Clearwire sites) later on, I'll be curious to see what equipment they use.

2.) Ok. I figured it must vary somewhat, but hopefully it's at least ~400 Mbps, or more for high-capacity sites. I think they'd be best off just upgrading all sites to 1Gbps backhaul and use the surplus capacity on underutilized sites for fixed wireless. Although that scenario probably wouldn't apply to most Clearwire markets.

3.) Yes, I misspoke re the current relevance of the 100 Mbps 4G backhaul requirement. 2014 is just around the corner, however, and "Turbo"-level backhaul to a regular 4G NV site should also end up qualifying as one heck of an upgrade.

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT SPINNING? PLEASE TELL ME IT STOPS.

After reading that I couldn't stop laughing lol 

I'm not gonna lie, it was pretty cool to see the Spark logo and LTE next to it. In this day and age, the whole world has LTE, so differentiating it does wonders. I actually got a little giddy because I thought I connected to B41 at first.

call me weird, but I actually like it spinning and being different. So you got the Mega, how you like it. (don't want to throw this too off topic so you can pm the answer. lol

TS

• Like 1

After the htc one max are we expecting anymore Triband phones by the end of the year?

Probably a GS4 triband phone refresh.  I am not sure if Sprint is in the process of clearing out their single band LTE GS4 inventory to make wave for the GS4 triband phone.

I wonder if the Spark icon will be universal or dependent on the particular brand handset you have. The LTE/4G icon is different depending on Sense/TouchWiz/iOS look and version. Is this specifically a Sprint made icon or do the manufacturers put their particular finishing touch on it? I can't see Apple letting just any icon adorn their precious task bar..

I wonder if the Spark icon will be universal or dependent on the particular brand handset you have. The LTE/4G icon is different depending on Sense/TouchWiz/iOS look and version. Is this specifically a Sprint made icon or do the manufacturers put their particular finishing touch on it? I can't see Apple letting just any icon adorn their precious task bar..

I would think every phone except the iPhone will get that Sprint made icon. On T-Mobile I have the One and my wife has the S4 and our 4g and 4gLTE icons look the same cuz that's the branding that T-Mobile has. Up until now Sprint hasn't really had a logo for their 4g services like the other big 3 carriers have and have implemented on their phones.

Sprint Spark is on the Sprint coverage map now. Here is portions of Tampa. Its within the "turbo" area of coverage as indicated on the map. This will be very confusing to the uneducated consumer. LTE coverage, Spark coverage, Turbo coverage, Wimax coverage and 3G coverage... Also there area areas that are Sprint Spark areas that DON'T have Turbo coverage.

post-517-0-41814900-1384623493_thumb.png

• Like 2

You know apple won't change anything to show any differences. Sprint will do anything and everything for Apple.

• Like 1

You know apple won't change anything to show any differences. Sprint will do anything and everything for Apple.

anyone will do anything for apple, that is why sprint has to sign a commitment contract just to get the iphone. The funny thing now, is that apple wants every carrier to have the iphone, because other companies like htc,lg and Samsung have made better phones the iphone. Also this is why I don't own a iphone, because they have to do things so much different then everyone else and not always to benefit the consumer

• Like 3

anyone will do anything for apple, that is why sprint has to sign a commitment contract just to get the iphone. The funny thing now, is that apple wants every carrier to have the iphone, because other companies like htc,lg and Samsung have made better phones the iphone. Also this is why I don't own a iphone, because they have to do things so much different then everyone else and not always to benefit the consumer

I also don't like that Apple makes the user do things their way, and makes all users to things the same way.

so even though it is official and maps are up has anyone actually come across band 41 signal?

I know some have gotten signal in LA markets. I expect to connect to B41 in OC, but I am waiting for my N5 order. I wouldn't expect coverage to be as wide spread as what listed on the Sprint coverage maps. Gotta remember NV is in progress and it is B41. In the G2 thread someone posted getting around 50-60 megs