LG G2 Users Thread!

koiulpoi

Alright looks like I can't edit previous post or delete it so I'll try again.

This is the current setup my G2 shows as far as bands and priorities go.

G2 setup bandNpriorities.png

This is my initial G2 testing report for the Columbus market, which has public and emerging band 25 LTE and emerging with occasional public band 41 LTE, and no known band 26 LTE.

This test was done between 2 G2s that are not identical and not calibrated.  Only 2 samples were taken so it is not statistically valid, besides network loads and configurations also vary between each test.  The methodology is to throw out the lower bandwidth test result.  The phones were locked into a car mount for each test with the other phone several feet away.

A number of these items may have been covered.  If so, let me know and I will credit you.

1) When you start your phone from being turned "off", you get a second bootup screen  that mentions Sprint Spark, plus the well know Walmart like spark icon.

2) The engineering screen for LTE behaves differently, probably to reduce support calls.  You can no longer verify band priority with this screen.  Group sourcing indicates that band 41 is handled ahead of 25 when the band priority view is band 25 = 3, band 26 = 1, and band 41 = 2.  This was achieved by editing Band 25 Proirity = 0, Band 26 Proirity = 1, Band 41 Proirity = 1 (spelled as it appears). 

2014-02-09-02-49-09.png2014-02-09-02-51-56.png

3) Had to manually enable bands 26 and 41 on the spark g2 which had never had them enabled before and was full stock. Tried PRL update to fix band issue but no success .  PRL version also remained the same.

4) All LTE-only type modes still appear to work.

5) For an unencumbered band 41 site, RSRP matches, download speed about the same https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zhwpq3z3f8tb3jy/_PIeTZCcOW

6) Band 41 edge location, RSRP the same, spark may have better download speed but more variability https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hkf39c46xqcs305/DLoc9qVVcc

7) Band 41 site with strong band 25: Only band 25 seen by current G2 firmware, Spark has no problems seeing band 41. True even after resets.  Was only 80 ft from band 41 tower.  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m8ems40fo39w84b/fvKZqfI5Rw

8) Country band 25 LTE site, same RSRP, current appears to be about 10% faster on downloads a few miles from site but more variability. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1utn172bgmrpy53/ZM4HGHdIsT

9) Casual observation of phones side by side: both connect to LTE at about same time.

NB: edited to add more pictures.  had to use outside source

• Like 3

I have also noticed that the dial code menus randomly give you "not responding" errors and the engineering menu randomly gives you "not available" errors after the Spark update. Usually going back and re-entering the menus results in them working. It doesn't seem to affect anything on a functional basis at least.

has anybody been having battery drainage issues after the update? I'm wondering if it's because lte hasn't been o officially launched here in Denver. I keep losing my signal and dropping calls as well, which before the update it never happened.

has anybody been having battery drainage issues after the update? I'm wondering if it's because lte hasn't been o officially launched here in Denver. I keep losing my signal and dropping calls as well, which before the update it never happened.

Right after the update, the first time I recharged my battery, it drained really fast. When I checked the battery menu, it showed "Android System" used 79% of the total battery use and had 13 hours of use time. Since then, it has sorted out. Yesterday I logged 37 hours before I plugged it in before bed.

I got the update several days ago. it's been recharged multiple times. also it freezes and my keyboard doesn't show some of the time when going to text or write something on the internet. I checked the phones battery usage, nothing seems to be out of the ordinary.

Right after the update, the first time I recharged my battery, it drained really fast. When I checked the battery menu, it showed "Android System" used 79% of the total battery use and had 13 hours of use time. Since then, it has sorted out. Yesterday I logged 37 hours before I plugged it in before bed.

That's a long day.. :D

I got the update several days ago. it's been recharged multiple times. also it freezes and my keyboard doesn't show some of the time when going to text or write something on the internet. I checked the phones battery usage, nothing seems to be out of the ordinary.

Are you using Swype? If so, this issue has been discussed on this forum prior to the update. Disabling the Swype dictionary sync fixed this for me.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Jeeeeez 37 hours. I am lucky to get a whole day out of my 5S. Probably has to do with not having a signal half the time, but 37 hours is still impressive.

Jeeeeez 37 hours. I am lucky to get a whole day out of my 5S. Probably has to do with not having a signal half the time, but 37 hours is still impressive.

This is just normal for the G2. Between having good LTE signal, being a eCSFB/single radio path device and the great hardware, I normally see this.

tmp_Screenshot_2014-02-09-12-39-44208831178.png

This is just normal for the G2. Between having good LTE signal, being a eCSFB/single radio path device and the great hardware, I normally see this.

attachicon.giftmp_Screenshot_2014-02-09-12-39-44208831178.png

Wow. I just got done charging my phone to 100%. Ill see what normal usage gets me. If I go outside though my service drops to unusable so I guess I'm not going outside again lol

Well the db does seem weaker then most but it holds onto band 41 and pulls decent numbers when its -120+

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1391976652341.jpg

My phone normally doesn't hold on past -123. The furthest I got was -133dbm and it was slower than 3g speeds at the time. Band really gives some promising numbers even with a low signal. That's impressive.

Well the db does seem weaker then most but it holds onto band 41 and pulls decent numbers when its -120+

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1391976652341.jpg

I have pulled 40+Mbps at -140db, although that is rare

I have pulled 40+Mbps at -140db, although that is rare

yeah I only have the 1 tower near me.. No back haul yet having to force lte only to test

I don't want to call you out on this, but that is impossible.

I was wrong, it was actually 55.04 Mbps down, 13.80Mbps up off of lakeview plaza blvd, near supergames adventure educational center in Columbus OH.  the RSRP measurement was taken before and after, however it could have changed for the test.  You owe me a beer.

Now there were other factors, like band 25.  But generally there is a much looser correlation for speedtests and rsrp with band 41 than band 25 LTE.  Far far better than wimax.

I was wrong, it was actually 55.04 Mbps down, 13.80Mbps up off of lakeview plaza blvd, near supergames adventure educational center in Columbus OH.  the RSRP measurement was taken before and after, however it could have changed for the test.  You owe me a beer.

Now there were other factors, like band 25.  But generally there is a much looser correlation for speedtests and rsrp with band 41 than band 25 LTE.  Far far better than wimax.

I wasn't doubting your 40mbps claim, I was doubting it at -140dBm because physically, it's impossible.  LTE loses it's speeds as signal thresholds become weaker.  You would have had to be in the -80s to -90s for a speed of 55mbps down.

• Like 2

Yes "LTE Enable/Disable" means B25.  Not sure why Sprint didn't just spell it out especially if they spelled out Band 26 and Band 41 already.  But since Sprint only uses B25, B26 and B41 for LTE it is B25.

So, I'm good then? I do not want to go in the edit menu as I do not want to adjust anything, just keep it as Sprint intended.

The reason I checked is a lot mentioned that after the update the bands were still not enabled. But, my phone is completely good and how sprint wanted it and all bands are enabled, correct?

Thank you

I wasn't doubting your 40mbps claim, I was doubting it at -140dBm because physically, it's impossible.  LTE loses it's speeds as signal thresholds become weaker.  You would have had to be in the -80s to -90s for a speed of 55mbps down.

If I had an independent signal meter you likely could be right, but I could only go by what the G2 was reporting.  Band 41 has a bunch of quirks compared to band 25.  While this issue was only seen once in the 44 band 41 sites I confirmed, strong bandwidth plus strong signal at the edge was not unusual, which in those cases was better than at the middle area from the site.  Now as they tuned those sites, much of this disappeared. These quirks are a major reason why a band 41 site should be confirmed by finding all three sectors.

To get similar results to band 25, you would likely need to average the rsrp over a greater area with more time.  Band 41 signal simply fluctuates too much compared to band 25.  Then of course you have SNR, reflection, TD versus FD, etc, but that is another whole discussion.

So, I'm good then? I do not want to go in the edit menu as I do not want to adjust anything, just keep it as Sprint intended.

The reason I checked is a lot mentioned that after the update the bands were still not enabled. But, my phone is completely good and how sprint wanted it and all bands are enabled, correct?

Thank you

Just enable all LTE bands and keep band priorities all set to 1 if you want Sprint default.

• Like 2

How can you tell if your phone is in a HD voice call in settings?

To my knowledge, Sprint hasn't deployed HD voice yet.  I think in order to actually reap any benefits from HD Voice, both handsets must be HD Voice capable anyway.