LG G2 Users Thread!

koiulpoi

I would reserve judgement until the Spark update arrives to see if the LG G2 signal shows some improvement.  Perhaps we can be surprised but either way I am willing to live with any shortcomings of the G2.  It has been a great device so far.  

I don't have issues with LTE reception and I am glad the GN3 is working out for you.  However I can't stand a single band LTE device and I don't want the Nexus 5 for the small battery and just plain vanilla.

Unfortunately, I was one of the lucky ones. My G2 has big time GPS issues, along with a crackling earpiece speaker on some calls and poor RF performance. My only real recourse is to try and get LG to replace it under warranty.

I'm not thrilled about using a single band device, but the GN3 really shines at holding a 1900 MHz LTE signal even deep inside buildings, where the G2 would fall back to 3G.

I intend to give the G2 another chance after the spark update, so I'm staying tuned to this thread to see how the performance is after said update.

its the "spark update" 

I realize that. Just it doesn't say anything about radio improvement. Just enable it the bands. I'm sure we didn't have to wait this long just to fix hangout and enable bands. Just kinda pointing it out and hoping for radio improvements also possible. I guess I'm expecting the minimal and hoping for more.

I would personally consider availability of 1 band, going to availability of 3 bands to be radio improvement. Since there isn't another instance of tri-band G2 in use on another carrier, then obviously they had to write new code with the new bands enabled..so it just seems obvious that radio performance would be included.

I'm sure someone will get the update.zip and/or google OTA server link.  Then hopefully someone will be nice to post the instructions here on how to manually update to cut out all the complainers that didn't get it yet along with their location of where they didn't get it. ;)

• Like 9

Enables spark icons, dose that mean we get that Sun string spinning around? Edit, also anyone else notice when the update was released? 1/27/13...... haha Sent from my LG G2 on the Now Network

Yep, the Walmart icon is coming to your device soon!

So glad the Nexus5 won't have that eyesore.

• Like 10

I wonder if rf issues have to do with market/vendor. Besides the CSFB issue I experienced the first 2 days, the rf on my G2 has been ridiculous. I get LTE in places that my Evo would roam and hold LTE inside concrete and metal buildings. As far as speed, check Sensorly speedtests in the St Augustine area. I have logged plenty of 20-35 mbps speed tests. I've had fringe signal speeds of 10 mbps at -118 dBm. I remember when the G2 first came out, lots of people here went on about how great the rf performance was. I am not sure what has changed to give so many the opposite results with the G2.

I wonder if rf issues have to do with market/vendor. Besides the CSFB issue I experienced the first 2 days, the rf on my G2 has been ridiculous. I get LTE in places that my Evo would roam and hold LTE inside concrete and metal buildings. As far as speed, check Sensorly speedtests in the St Augustine area. I have logged plenty of 20-35 mbps speed tests. I've had fringe signal speeds of 10 mbps at -118 dBm. I remember when the G2 first came out, lots of people here went on about how great the rf performance was. I am not sure what has changed to give so many the opposite results with the G2.

I couldn't have said it any better.  I went from an EVO to the G2 and love it.  I have never had an issue with it at all. I do not regret my decision to buy the G2.

Well a tin can a string would be better than the EVO LTE RF performance ;)  A CSFB issue is a yes/no type deal.  Nothing to do with signal strength.  When the device attempts to auth with the site it asks if CSFB is available, if not the device says no thanks and switches to 3G.

• Like 2

Mine has great speeds and hold.a connection very well too. They must have some defectives or something

I agree My G2 holds lte well even into the -120 db range. The only issue my g2 has as far as lte goes is switching from 3g to lte while in use. ie if I am driving streaming music or letting my son watch youtube. The only way to get it to switch bck to lte is too recycle data and or stop the application.

However, this weekend I drove around to two sprint stores and help my phone next the the other triband devices  G4 gmin, One mega, and N5 My g2 help a better db than all except the n5 but differnce was only like 1 db I made sure both were on the same tower using signal check.

I did not compare any single band devices.

The issues people are having with their g2 must be a bad batch or coverage area combined with tri-band newess bugginess

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I was one of the lucky ones. My G2 has big time GPS issues, along with a crackling earpiece speaker on some calls and poor RF performance. My only real recourse is to try and get LG to replace it under warranty.

I'm not thrilled about using a single band device, but the GN3 really shines at holding a 1900 MHz LTE signal even deep inside buildings, where the G2 would fall back to 3G.

I intend to give the G2 another chance after the spark update, so I'm staying tuned to this thread to see how the performance is after said update.

Why haven't you tried to get LG to replace the device or even exchange your device within your first 14 days?  Having a faulty device and comparing it to another device is not an apples to apples comparison.

Has anyone try to manually update their phone yet to see if the Spark update is available?

I must confess.  I tried it this morning at 7:02 EST.  It just said your device is up to date.  I'll turn it on again in a few days and see...

Why haven't you tried to get LG to replace the device or even exchange your device within your first 14 days?  Having a faulty device and comparing it to another device is not an apples to apples comparison.

It actually took me longer than the 14 day period to find all the flaws.  First we had the eCSFB issue which Shentel fixed in about 7 days in Harrisburg.  I didn't even try the GPS until a month later as my car has a built-in unit.  Call quality was supposed to be fixed with the ZV8 update, it didn't fix mine.  I wasn't really sure about the poor RF issue at first until I realized there are way too many places this phone drops back to 3G.  I finally got fed up and just purchased the GN3 which works flawlessly.  Unfortunate;y for me until I realized that my G2 was indeed a lemon, time ran out on the exchange period. 

I'll have to contend with LG now to get this resolved. 

Has anyone try to manually update their phone yet to see if the Spark update is available?

I've tried a few times this morning since I saw it posted at 6 that the update is official. It still isn't available as of right now at 11:15 am est.

• Like 1

I've tried a few times this morning since I saw it posted at 6 that the update is official. It still isn't available as of right now at 11:15 am est.

Same here.  No Updates avaialble yet.

It actually took me longer than the 14 day period to find all the flaws.  First we had the eCSFB issue which Shentel fixed in about 7 days in Harrisburg.  I didn't even try the GPS until a month later as my car has a built-in unit.  Call quality was supposed to be fixed with the ZV8 update, it didn't fix mine.  I wasn't really sure about the poor RF issue at first until I realized there are way too many places this phone drops back to 3G.  I finally got fed up and just purchased the GN3 which works flawlessly.  Unfortunate;y for me until I realized that my G2 was indeed a lemon, time ran out on the exchange period. 

I'll have to contend with LG now to get this resolved. 

I see.  Well I think the lesson learned is to always inspect your device fully during the 14 day evaluation period despite if you have other ways that can do the job. The way I look at it is that unless I have phone insurance this will be my device for the next 2 years so I would sacrifice using any other devices I was relying on temporarily and be damn sure this device is not faulty.  I sure as heck am not waiting a month later to test out whether my GPS, Bluetooth, Wifi, 3G/4G data, NFC, phone calling, voice/data reception, etc are working or not.  Like the GPS issue, I understand you car has a built navigation system but you could have verified it by maybe launching the Google Maps/Navigation app and letting it route you to work or whereever you were going in the background just to test out the GPS functionality.

I can't comment on the RF issues you were having but I feel the GPS issue could have been easily discovered and should have been resolved during your 14 day period.

No luck here. 

Doesn't Google "flag" your phone for updates? So once you check and don't see an update, there's no point in trying multiple times that same day?

I seem to recall some Google employee mentioning that when explaining why trying to clear out Google framework, wasn't a good idea.

No luck here.  Doesn't Google "flag" your phone for updates? So once you check and don't see an update, there's no point in trying multiple times that same day? I seem to recall some Google employee mentioning that when explaining why trying to clear out Google framework, wasn't a good idea.

I'm pretty sure that the update operates similar to an elevator. If you push the button enough times and in rapid succession it will let Google know that you really want the update and it will show up faster.

• Like 5