LG G2 Users Thread!

koiulpoi

This guy is claiming that the G2's LTE performance is slower than all devices, including the EVO LTE: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2059-network-visionlte-northern-connecticut-market-including-hartfordnew-london/?p=272151

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

This guy is claiming that the G2's LTE performance is slower than all devices, including the EVO LTE: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2059-network-visionlte-northern-connecticut-market-including-hartfordnew-london/?p=272151

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

If you notice, he claims sprint had him do a "Battery Pull" on it. Personally, Im not not sure he had the g2 based off that alone. Nuff said'

• Like 5

I don't swapping efs partitions is a good idea if that's what your thinking. It contains specific info for your device.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Correct.. do NOT switch EFS partitions with another phone.  You'll end up with mismatched phone serials and such. 

Now there is one thing that is cool about the EFS, that's where the PRL is stored.  Backup just the EFS for each PRL you may want and just restore the EFS when you want that PRL.  All without QPST or a PC.  Just remember to redo your backups after the next modem/OS update.

• Like 1

loving the phone since picked it up before new years, and best buy system forgot to charge me tax!  Since I did buyback, i walked out with a gift card and 3 new phones (which were free to upgrade). I got Paid to upgrade!

Swipe was freezing my phone, was happening with slow loading of keyboard after restarts, then became sluggish and freezing at all times, changing the keyboard has resolved all issues,

EXCEPT phone wont connect with airrave for calls when 4g is enabled, if i force to 3g its perfect.  I am topography challenged from the tower (on hill, so above tower 1 mi away) so that may be the issue... phoned sprint and they say its phone not connecting with airrave due to technology/switching.  (basically a get him off the line response).   They said to just force to 3g when i get home to solve the problem, but how does that solve anything when i have to constantly be switching?  I have forced the other 2 phones to stay in 3g just to have better voice signals at homes.  I skimmed the posts and didn't see anything about this, is anyone familiar with the issue?

Just took a trip to downtown Chicago and my results with this phone are more than disappointing. This phone can't hold an lte signal for anything. My wife's iPhone had lte the whole day, while my phone day constantly holding 3g. Please tell me it's because of lack of a modem update and not a weak rf performer. I even turned off 26/41 and rebooted. Does anyone else experience this?

Vince

EXCEPT phone wont connect with airrave for calls when 4g is enabled, if i force to 3g its perfect. I am topography challenged from the tower (on hill, so above tower 1 mi away) so that may be the issue... phoned sprint and they say its phone not connecting with airrave due to technology/switching. (basically a get him off the line response). They said to just force to 3g when i get home to solve the problem, but how does that solve anything when i have to constantly be switching? I have forced the other 2 phones to stay in 3g just to have better voice signals at homes. I skimmed the posts and didn't see anything about this, is anyone familiar with the issue?

Yep, that's the fix. I had the same issue on my N5. The weak LTE connection causes the calls to attempt to use the regular tower which of course does not work. Toggling to 3g only when at home is the only answer until either 1x improves at your home site, Sprint releases an Airave with LTE and CSFB, or wifi calling is rolled out to the device.

• Like 1

Just took a trip to downtown Chicago and my results with this phone are more than disappointing. This phone can't hold an lte signal for anything. My wife's iPhone had lte the whole day, while my phone day constantly holding 3g. Please tell me it's because of lack of a modem update and not a weak rf performer. I even turned off 26/41 and rebooted. Does anyone else experience this?

Vince

Its hard to say at this point.  Don't want to make any big promises.  We will have to see what the Spark update brings to the G2 besides flipping the B26 and B41 flags.  From looking at the NV Complete maps, not all sites have been upgraded to LTE in downtown Chicago.  I don't think that is the best place to test your LTE since it could be a lot of users hammering that same site.

Its hard to say at this point. Don't want to make any big promises. We will have to see what the Spark update brings to the G2 besides flipping the B26 and B41 flags. From looking at the NV Complete maps, not all sites have been upgraded to LTE in downtown Chicago. I don't think that is the best place to test your LTE since it could be a lot of users hammering that same site.

except I've had a 5s and work in Chicago and surrounding areas. My iPhone never once let go of LTE. Chicago is well blanketed, and the handful of towers still 3G are irrelevant. It's the phone.

except I've had a 5s and work in Chicago and surrounding areas. My iPhone never once let go of LTE. Chicago is well blanketed, and the handful of towers still 3G are irrelevant. It's the phone.

All I can say is that there is no promise of a modem update although the ZVA firmware points to one.  However that doesn't guarantee that things will be all fine. A baseband update could improve on the LTE reception to a certain extent but stuff like preamps, filters, etc that make the still could be the limiting factor which can't be fixed.

Just as a note onto rf performance. When I switched to my Nexus I immediately saw a gain in signal strength. My speeds at home are close to 5 mbs faster and I barely drop to 3g when inside work now. I'm starting to think the g2 may sound good on paper but when used in real life, it might not actually be the greatest thing out there like it was supposed to be.

• Like 1

I'm starting to think the g2 may sound good on paper but when used in real life, it might not actually be the greatest thing out there like it was supposed to be.

The G2 backers lost the playoff game.  But have a drink on me...

12953972.jpg

AJ

• Like 5

Just as a note onto rf performance. When I switched to my Nexus I immediately saw a gain in signal strength. My speeds at home are close to 5 mbs faster and I barely drop to 3g when inside work now. I'm starting to think the g2 may sound good on paper but when used in real life, it might not actually be the greatest thing out there like it was supposed to be.

I agree with you. I'm using my Samsung GN3. Signal reception is stronger everywhere and reliability is much improved. The G2 was a waste of my money. I'll have to wait for the Samsung GN4 to get a Tri band device again.

Yea i think thats why they pretty much have given them away on contract and didnt sell very good either. If the software update doesnt come by the end of the month or i hear something good i am selling mine and buying a nexus 5.

Yea i think thats why they pretty much have given them away on contract and didnt sell very good either. If the software update doesnt come by the end of the month or i hear something good i am selling mine and buying a nexus 5.

I'm using my N5 in the mean time and I'm 100% missing my screen/battery life.  I want to go back to my G2 ASAP.  But, that's just me.  N5 does have better signal but I think being able to use the phone longer is better for me.  (The G2 also charges faster imo.)

• Like 1

With how terrible my g2 was for battery life I haven't even noticed the 700 mah difference between the two. I still go all day with my phone with 3 hours of screen time. But at least it's on something that works. Lol.

Edit. My N5 seems to charge quickly? Never had an issue with it charging slow.

I just would of thought the way that sprint really talked up thisphone that they would have had a software for it and tested it even if it was in a controlled enviroment to talk it up like it was the greatest thing ever. Im guessing they had to of had some kind of testing with it but real life situation just wasnt the same. Cause when it got released a month later than schedule i would of thought they would of come up with something. Just cause you have it to pick up the bands do4snt mean it was gonna be great i guess. I shouldnt be so hard on it causevit was the first of its kind. I still say that the phone should still be able to do alot better its got the best stuff in it I guess does anyone know whats different in the g2 that the flexhas thats making it better as far as being able to work between the bands and stuff?

I agree with you. I'm using my Samsung GN3. Signal reception is stronger everywhere and reliability is much improved. The G2 was a waste of my money. I'll have to wait for the Samsung GN4 to get a Tri band device again.

I would reserve judgement until the Spark update arrives to see if the LG G2 signal shows some improvement.  Perhaps we can be surprised but either way I am willing to live with any shortcomings of the G2.  It has been a great device so far.  

I don't have issues with LTE reception and I am glad the GN3 is working out for you.  However I can't stand a single band LTE device and I don't want the Nexus 5 for the small battery and just plain vanilla.  

I just would of thought the way that sprint really talked up thisphone that they would have had a software for it and tested it even if it was in a controlled enviroment to talk it up like it was the greatest thing ever. Im guessing they had to of had some kind of testing with it but real life situation just wasnt the same. Cause when it got released a month later than schedule i would of thought they would of come up with something. Just cause you have it to pick up the bands do4snt mean it was gonna be great i guess. I shouldnt be so hard on it causevit was the first of its kind. I still say that the phone should still be able to do alot better its got the best stuff in it I guess does anyone know whats different in the g2 that the flexhas thats making it better as far as being able to work between the bands and stuff?

Does the n5 have different radios thann the g2 also?

First of all, the G2 got released later than normal not because it had issues with LTE.  It was Sprint's own stupid reason to time everything to make Nov 8 some crazy significant date to announce the release of several Spark devices.  This was confirmed by a LG representative that said that LG wanted Sprint to sell the G2 sooner but it was Sprint who was purposely holding back the release.

About the G2 radios, who gives a crap what the N5 and G2 use.  They are both different devices and even if they use the same radios and what not the shape and design of the phone can have some impact on RF performance.  I think instead of asking a million questions about why the G2 is what it is currently with LTE reception, lets just wait for the Spark update to see if any of these issues get resolved.  We already know that there is a new baseband version in the Spark update based on the latest leak of the ZVA firmware.  Lets just be patient and see what happens.  I am sure LG and Sprint are aware of the situation.  When the audio issue was prominent in ZV7 firmware, Sprint fixed the audio issue in ZV8 firmware so I know Sprint listens.

• Like 1

Just took a trip to downtown Chicago and my results with this phone are more than disappointing. This phone can't hold an lte signal for anything. My wife's iPhone had lte the whole day, while my phone day constantly holding 3g. Please tell me it's because of lack of a modem update and not a weak rf performer. I even turned off 26/41 and rebooted. Does anyone else experience this? Vince

I was downtown this evening and my G2 saw plenty of lte. Not exclusively, but much more than 3g. I didn't do any testing, but data speed were quite snappy.

Yea thats true prolly just dont want to release a software that is mediocre and have to do another update again. My phone works pretty good where there is lte. My gs3 picked up about the same signal maybe held on a hair better but when both are on lte my g2 gets better speeds so id say you have to give and take with what you want. Which that wont matter with b26 lte so really its just a temporary thing and its not that great on lte when in fringe reception which can happen with any phone. I was just pumped up to get the update since they had anounced it was coming thats all just a little dissapointed. But hopefully they make it worth the wait fingers crossed.