Sprint Rep: Backhaul stops during the winter.

The rep at my local Sprint store said they were only doing one more small city with Backhaul in my market before winter comes because the ground freezes. He said they will start work again next March or April. Does this guy know what he is talking about. I've never seen winter stop construction around here before.

I wouldn't trust a rep at a Sprint store for anything, and I am one. They don't tell us hardly anything related to network vision. Chances are he doesn't know what he's talking about, unless the info came from here. (PS s4gru is awesome)

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 9

The rep at my local Sprint store said they were only doing one more small city with Backhaul in my market before winter comes because the ground freezes. He said they will start work again next March or April. Does this guy know what he is talking about. I've never seen winter stop construction around here before.

You sure can dig a ditch with a backhoe when the ground is froze, but it is a little harder.  The problem can be the replacement of concrete or asphalt in the winter. In many states, there is a state restriction on replacing asphalt on highways after a certain date because of low temperatures. I do not know about any rules in your local area.

Backhaul deployment continued last winter. And there are all different types of runs/connections. Many sites already have fiber nearby. Also, fiber can be strung overhead too. It's not always under ground.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Coming from a equipment side of things. Moles have problems when the ground is frozen so if they are running new fiber lines it will take longer. But it is possible to continue thru winter unless there is a lot of snow and ice on the ground then things change. Will not be able to steer the mole because of not being able to read where it is.

You sure can dig a ditch with a backhoe when the ground is froze, but it is a little harder.  The problem can be the replacement of concrete or asphalt in the winter. In many states, there is a state restriction on replacing asphalt on highways after a certain date because of low temperatures. I do not know about any rules in your local area.

Most underground cable is now installed using "trenchless" technology.  Basically, this is a drill, not an excavator, and can easily run the cable under the frost line in all but the coldest situations.  It can also drill through inches/feet of frost in order to get under the frozen layer.  One of the major benefits of trenchless underground is that you don't need to displace concrete or asphalt, you just go under it.  So, highways, frost, other underground stuff, etc., are not always a barrier, and cable installations can be done year-round in almost all of the continental US.

Edit: Of course, as kg4icg rightly points out, a heavy snow.ice layer on top of the ground may prevent the operator from being able to track the device properly.

It does seem odd that they would set a date to stop doing work because every year is different. Last year it didn't get cold or snow until after Christmas. They obviously don't know what the weather is going to be like in the coming months.

Unfortunately Ben Affleck defied the laws of physics in that movie with simple drilling.

Having a butt crack on his face also defies the laws of physics.

sp_0510_16_m4.jpg

AJ

• Like 3

Most underground cable is now installed using "trenchless" technology.  Basically, this is a drill, not an excavator, and can easily run the cable under the frost line in all but the coldest situations.  It can also drill through inches/feet of frost in order to get under the frozen layer.  One of the major benefits of trenchless underground is that you don't need to displace concrete or asphalt, you just go under it.  So, highways, frost, other underground stuff, etc., are not always a barrier, and cable installations can be done year-round in almost all of the continental US.

Edit: Of course, as kg4icg rightly points out, a heavy snow.ice layer on top of the ground may prevent the operator from being able to track the device properly.

I've got at&t scheduled to do a ton of boring over the next 6 months (well, at&t's construction contractor), they work all winter long.

We need more global warming. :(

• Like 2