Google Nexus 5 by LG Preview (LG D820)

MacinJosh

My corporate store has no idea what is going on. I should print the docs and take them in.

LOL, what else is new?

Looking for opinions:

I'm off contract on the SERO-P in the Detroit Metro area (NO LTE).

Would you:

A.  Buy this on the Google Play store for $440 shipped

B.  Buy this for $200-ish (32GB) and renew the 2-year contract.

I can't see myself leaving Sprint (even though LTE hasn't arrived yet), but for $200 would it be worth it to have the unlocked phone?

I don't plan on doing the iPhone upgrade and sell on Ebay trick.

And I know this has been asked a few times, but what are the chances Sprint will put their own software on this phone.  That might be worth $200 right there.

Thanks all.

I am all for more options so I would say just get it from the play store and not have yourself tied down for the next two years.  Also this is a single nexus device for everyone to use on just about any carrier so there won't be any sprint bloatware on it.

• Like 1

Its true! I just got confirmation along with it being noted in my account that it will be waived. Was also told that if a phone is bought from the manufacture, Sprint won't charge any activation fee. Great way to avoid that fee.

I'm pretty sure iPhones purchased at the Apple Store have an activation fee, and they are a manufacturer.  The only waiver of activation fee I'm still aware of on Sprint is if you have the Credit Union discount.

Robert

Ok, general practice is this >>>>>>>> You only pay activation fee if it's a new line. You only pay upgrade fee if you get the phone at a discounted price from the carrier.  That being said, it shakes out like this; 

1. So at "no" discount from MFG, ie full retail from Google = No Activation UNLESS it's new line, if upgrade, no Activation

2. So at discount from Sprint = Activation regardless of new line or upgrade

3. So off of Craigslist, for existing line, phone never on Sprint, no activation (because it couldn't have been purchased at discounted price from Sprint).  *If new line, activation fee applies. 

*This is general practice and obviously subject to change AND/OR other contractual agreements as well as the usual "waiver" that can be granted at the discretion of a telesales/CSR with Sprint. 

YMMV  ;)

LOL, what else is new?

I am all for more options so I would say just get it from the play store and not have yourself tied down for the next two years.  Also this is a single nexus device for everyone to use on just about any carrier so there won't be any sprint bloatware on it.

*Unless they do like the HTC One where we had a "Sprint ID" app that on initial boot requested to download some "Sprint specific" bloatware.  You could decline/stop it from downloading (if I remember correctly, but it's been quite awhile since I flashed a completely stock rom that did include the Sprint ID app) but it was, in essence, Sprint bloat. 

A little disappointed they aren't offering the 32 gb version from Sprint on order

The 16gb is the big seller, they would't bring something in that was going to be a "marginal" seller when it's pretty clear (and I imagine has been made clear over the last Nexus cycles) what the demand is for. Also, with Google selling the larger version AND Sprint allowing activation on the network, they lose nothing by not selling.  If someone wants it bad enough, they'll buy from Google OR settle with the 16gb model at subsidized pricing from Sprint. Smart business decision really, talk about win win. (we as Sprint subscribers also benefit so it's win win for us as well) 

Hopefully this trend will continue as devices evolve and come jam packed with the radios to live on the different networks. Sprint has lost out on that business in the past because it was the "has to be a Sprint phone" deal. 

Thanks, mrrogers. I've read all that, and I know that's what Sprint is saying and what Sprint employees are being told. What I don't understand is why an existing UICC wouldn't work.

I guess I'm really more curious about why it wouldn't work more than I'm asking asking will it work.

Honestly, I think it would work fine BUT only time and some trial and error will tell. The new phone with existing UICC SIM would still require activation at "some" level as the SIM needs to be linked to the phone.  We saw issues with HTC One's that were replaced under warranty/insurance and if the UICC was either reused OR the new UICC was not tied to the actual device (the old association was still in place), there were issues.  A quick call into #2 talk was all it took to fix OR I think we might actually have access to update it in our "Manage my account" screen but I'm not 100% sure on that. 

Ordered my 32GB white Nexus 5 at 1:38pm Pacific time with 2-day shipping & it's still pending. :(

Some people have mentioned that you could get an IPhone for your upgrade @ $200 and sell it to pay off Nexus 5 and pocket the difference. Someone asked but nobody answered if you have to activate/open up IPhone or can you get IPhone but activate Nexus 5 purchased from play store instead?

I understand this would extend my contract but I don't plan to leave Sprint so it works out ok...

Thx!

Ok so supposedly Google debuted a new wireless charging pad yesterday along with the Nexus 5 and it was supposed to be available yesterday according to Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/31/google-wireless-charging-pad/

Does anyone know anything about it? Cant find any mention of it on the Play Store etc.

On another similar note, instead of this if I get the Nokia wireless charging plate, it should still work on my Nexus 5 correct?

As long as it's the Qi standard it will work fine. There's about a dozen different ones on the market. Some better than others.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

As long as it's the Qi standard it will work fine. There's about a dozen different ones on the market. Some better than others.

Would getting a $18 cheap one off ebay do any harm to the phone? i'm not too trilled by wireless charging, but under $20 i'll consider it since i'd get two (one for work and home)

Would getting a $18 cheap one off ebay do any harm to the phone? i'm not too trilled by wireless charging, but under $20 i'll consider it since i'd get two (one for work and home)

I would read reviews on it. Especially how well it worked with the Nexus 4. Some of them are not good cause the sweet spot is so small. And some don't charge fast enough. Placement is key.

This new Nexus 5 one is supposed to have magnets like the old palm pre. The palm pre wireless charging has been the gold standard up until now.

Since Matias Duarte designed the palm pre and now the Nexus 5 I'm guessing he made this new charger work very well with the Nexus 5. Putting magnets in both items. None of the old ones have magnets so if they slip off you don't know if it charges or not. Probably won't do damage to your phone. Just might not be optimal.

We have Sprint Sim Cats at Best Buy but we will charge you for them probably unless you are getting the phone through us.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

how much would they be? just asking in case i have a hard time getting a hold of one on Monday when my phone gets in.

I'm pretty sure iPhones purchased at the Apple Store have an activation fee, and they are a manufacturer.  The only waiver of activation fee I'm still aware of on Sprint is if you have the Credit Union discount.

Robert

Do iphones purchased at full retail from Apple have a fee?

Ive never understood how any of the wireless companies get away with activation fee.

"You must pay us $36 for the pleasure of paying us!"

Hahaha, 800 Sprint customer service line is laughable. "We don't have SIM cards, you will probably have to get them off Amazon.com...."

Wrong answer.

When Verizon introduced sim cards things were just as bad.

Many reps sent out the wrong sim card, or had no idea how to find them in the system (ie, if customer needs a new one).

Default answer was "If you go to a store, they cant ake care of you and you dont have to wait for it to ship!"  aka "I dont know what to do please ask someone else" , although the time saving was a real benefit.

I'm a little sad that there is no knock on, dynamic notifications, or voice search with the screen off. Is this just a longer, narrower, and fatter phone with screen bezels that make the screen smaller than "last generation's" S4?

We have Sprint Sim Cats at Best Buy...

Yes, I think I saw those sim cats near the video games aisle.

robot-kitty-1.jpg

AJ

• Like 2

The reason I'm not a fan of wireless charging is there's a lot of waste heat, which is not good for the long-term health of the battery. Since the battery in the N5 is not removable, keeping the battery healthy over the long-run is going to be important.

I'm a little sad that there is no knock on, dynamic notifications, or voice search with the screen off. Is this just a longer, narrower, and fatter phone with screen bezels that make the screen smaller than "last generation's" S4?

Knock on can be enabled by a kernel. The active notifications can be enabled by a ROM, but if the screen is not AMOLED I would avoid it due to battery usage. Also, I believe I read that it does listen for voice search while the screen is off. I'm not sure about that, but it does listen all the time when the screen is on.

So, would I need my N5 in hand to go into a Sprint store to try to get a SIM, or could I do so preemptively so that I have it whenever mine finally ships (says it'll be heading out by 11/5).  With only 5 cards per store, I worry that I'm going to get a big run around trying to find one that has any when I finally get my hands on this thing.

• Like 1

IMHO *Cheap and *Charging (wireless none the less) are two words I wouldn't like to put together. iPhone electrocution anyone?? LolSure, it's wireless so it won't get "you" but could certainly ruin your nice new phone. Just sayin..... To each their own though.

Some people have mentioned that you could get an IPhone for your upgrade @ $200 and sell it to pay off Nexus 5 and pocket the difference. Someone asked but nobody answered if you have to activate/open up IPhone or can you get IPhone but activate Nexus 5 purchased from play store instead?I understand this would extend my contract but I don't plan to leave Sprint so it works out ok...Thx!
You may need to activate the iPhone first, maybe for a day or so, then just do the ESN/Buddie Swap with the Nexus and then sell the iPhone. The process is somewhat of an "allowed" loop hole because Sprint is gonna get their money out of you no matter what on the contracted BUT I would say to at least make it look like you attempted to follow the rules. Might not really matter, but that's how I would do it.

So, would I need my N5 in hand to go into a Sprint store to try to get a SIM, or could I do so preemptively so that I have it whenever mine finally ships (says it'll be heading out by 11/5). With only 5 cards per store, I worry that I'm going to get a big run around trying to find one that has any when I finally get my hands on this thing.
And with only 5 cards *to be sent before or on the release date, I'm sure the stores aren't going to be letting them walk out of the store like that. Maybe you could somehow get someone in the store to sell it to you (they are to be provided at no cost when activating *this device) but doubtful. This is another advantage to ordering from Sprint. Sent from my d3rpONE using Tapatalk 4

Also, I believe I read that it does listen for voice search while the screen is off. I'm not sure about that, but it does listen all the time when the screen is on.

If you happen to see this again, could you link to it?  I've only read that it listens on the Home screen, and that's it.  Not screen off, not in app, etc.

We have Sprint Sim Cats at Best Buy but we will charge you for them probably unless you are getting the phone through us.

I want one of these Sim Cats instead.

arpgYKK_460sa.gif

• Like 3