Google Nexus 5 by LG Preview (LG D820)

MacinJosh

I have a BAD feeling that getting my Nexus 5 activated on Sprint is going to be a nightmare.  Since someone said they chatted with Sprint and have a SIM being mailed to them, i just tried the same thing.  After 30 minutes and 2 reps, i was given the following information:

1) Phones that need SIMs come with SIMs

2) If my phone doesn't come with a SIM, i can visit a Sprint store and they may be able to help me

3) If I purchased my phone from anywhere other than Sprint, it's up to the seller to give me a SIM and Sprint can't/won't give me one

4) If I want to get a SIM from Sprint, i have to call telesales to purchase one

5) Stores don't sell, provide, or give SIM cards

Regardless, this doesn't match what i've been reading here and on other sites.  I guess i'll stop by a Sprint store on the way home from work tonight in the hope that i'll find someone who's helpful.  I don't want my phone to arrive on Monday and not be able to activate it due to Sprint-stupidity!

-d

It needs to be a repair and service store. They will have SIM cards. I'm going to get whatever micro SIM they have that is new...

It needs to be a repair and service store. They will have SIM cards. I'm going to get whatever micro SIM they have that is new...

How do i know which Sprint locations are repair and service centers?  And do you know if they charge for SIMs?  And if they'll give me one today so i have it when the phone arrives on Monday?

How do i know which Sprint locations are repair and service centers?  And do you know if they charge for SIMs?  And if they'll give me one today so i have it when the phone arrives on Monday?

http://storelocator.sprint.com/locator/

Search here, and by every store it will have a check mark for the services it provides.

It's helpful if you crack the screen.  Get a new one, no questions asked.

Get a new one, no questions asked (other than asking for you to pay the massive deductible)

Fixed that for you.

If I cracked the screen, I could order a new one from Google for only slightly more than what I would pay in $11/mo and a $200 deductible. Every 6-12 months. Or repair it myself for about $50. I'll take that chance after paying for TEP for years, spending dang close to $1000 on it over the years, and only filing 1 claim (OG EVO 4G).

If you have a habit of breaking/losing phones, TEP is definitely for you, but not me, on such a cheap device.

http://storelocator.sprint.com/locator/

Search here, and by every store it will have a check mark for the services it provides.

I found that earlier, but i wasn't sure if i should believe my luck... the 4 closest stores are all listed with repair checked.  

Does anyone know if they charge for SIMs and if so, how much?  Will they give me a SIM before my phone arrives?  Thanks!

I tried online chat to get a SIM card, and they directed me to Telesales.  I have been told no by Telesales 4x now.  But I haven't given up now.  Still trying to get one mailed to me.

Robert

• Like 1

I just got done with chat and they are mailing me one. I'll go Saturday to a repair center and try to pick one up.

Belt and suspenders =D

Thanks so much. I just did chat and they had to call "international", who said they were out if stock. They ordered two S4 SIM cards for me, stating that they're the same, and that I should have them next week. I was also given an order number.

Edit - I chatted with employee services, not the regular chat.

Edited by Shiki8

This is pretty awesome. More details here.

Qualcomm estimates its envelope tracker reduces the amount of heat put out by the phone by 30 percent and power consumption from the radio frequency components by 20 percent. Granted, that’s not overall power consumption on the device: The Nexus 5’s fully lit screen will do far more damage to its 2300mAH battery charge than the radio. But unlike the screen, the phone’s radios are constantly working in the background, signaling the mobile network, collecting email and social media updates and sending and receiving app data.

I tried online chat to get a SIM card, and they directed me to Telesales.  I have been told no by Telesales 4x now.  But I haven't given up now.  Still trying to get one mailed to me.

Robert

This is ridiculous!  You'd think someone at Sprint would know how to get SIMs into their customers' hands.  I wish that my Note 2 had a removable SIM... that would make things simpler! 

Thanks so much. I just did chat and they had to call "international", who said they were out if stock. They ordered two S4 SIM cards for me, stating that they're the same, and that I should have them next week. I was also given an order number.

Edit - I chatted with employee services, not the regular chat.

I assume, since it was "employee services" that you work for Sprint? Any advice for the rest of us?

I assume, since it was "employee services" that you work for Sprint? Any advice for the rest of us?

No, I have Sero-P, so I get pushed to employee services when I do chat. I don't think non employee services CS can touch SERO accounts.

Maybe this will help people order the right SIM card part number? lol

m8i3.jpg

Edited by Shiki8
  • Like 2

No, I have Sero-P, so I get pushed to employee services when I do chat. I don't think non employee services CS can touch SERO accounts.

Maybe this will help people order the right SIM card part number? lol

m8i3.jpg

I'm curious... did they charge you for the SIMs?

I'm curious... did they charge you for the SIMs?

No, it shows 0.00 under order amount.

Edit - It did take almost an hour of waiting though. The guy was on the phone with international forever.

Edited by Shiki8

So... FWIW, i just called a couple local Sprint stores that are supposed to be repair centers.  They told me that they don't typically stock SIM cards (they only SIM cards they have come with the phones).  The last guy i talked to told me that he had received notification today they they'd be receiving 5 SIM cards for customers who purchased a Nexus 5 from Google, but he has no idea when they'd arrive.  I convinced him to take down my name and phone number, and he promised to set one aside for me and call when they come in. 

Needless to say, i'm still planning to call Sprint to see if i can make any progress about getting one mailed to me, preferably overnight....

SUCCESS!!!  Once I had the right place, it went quick.  Here is what you need to do to get a SIM mailed to you:

• Call 1-888-226-7212
  • At first voice prompt, Enter your phone number or confirm that you are calling from your phone
  • Press 2 for "otherwise..."
  • Press 2 for "International voice or data service"
  • Then you will go into the call queue and wait for an operator

Explain that you need a SIM card for your new Nexus 5 that you purchased directly from Google mailed to you and that you are unable to visit a store to get one.  They couldn't find the Nexus 5 in the system, but they checked with a supervisor and found the same one that will work.  They even said it would come via FedEx, but probably wouldn't go out until Monday or Tuesday.  All for no charge!  I had to pay $20 for my Tmo SIM.

Robert

• Like 16

Robert

Robert -

Let me know if you have any luck!

SUCCESS!!!  Once I had the right place, it went quick.  Here is what you need to do to get a SIM mailed to you:

• Call 1-888-226-7212
  • At first voice prompt, Enter your phone number or confirm that you are calling from your phone

Explain that you need a SIM card for your new Nexus 5 that you purchased directly from Google mailed to you and that you are unable to visit a store to get one.  They couldn't find the Nexus 5 in the system, but they checked with a supervisor and found the same one that will work.  They even said it would come via FedEx, but probably wouldn't go out until Monday or Tuesday.  All for no charge!  I had to pay $20 for my Tmo SIM.

Robert

Hooray!!!!  I'll call and see if i have the same luck you did!

So... FWIW, i just called a couple local Sprint stores that are supposed to be repair centers.  They told me that they don't typically stock SIM cards (they only SIM cards they have come with the phones).  The last guy i talked to told me that he had received notification today they they'd be receiving 5 SIM cards for customers who purchased a Nexus 5 from Google, but he has no idea when they'd arrive.  I convinced him to take down my name and phone number, and he promised to set one aside for me and call when they come in. 

Needless to say, i'm still planning to call Sprint to see if i can make any progress about getting one mailed to me, preferably overnight....

This was in Wheaton wasn't it?

SUCCESS!!!  Once I had the right place, it went quick.  Here is what you need to do to get a SIM mailed to you:

• Call 1-888-226-7212

Robert

Robert -

You're the man!!!! This worked like a charm.  Mine is being shipped to me at no charge!  Thank you, sir!!!!

-david

• Like 1

SUCCESS!!! Once I had the right place, it went quick. Here is what you need to do to get a SIM mailed to you:

• Call 1-888-226-7212

Explain that you need a SIM card for your new Nexus 5 that you purchased directly from Google mailed to you and that you are unable to visit a store to get one. They couldn't find the Nexus 5 in the system, but they checked with a supervisor and found the same one that will work. They even said it would come via FedEx, but probably wouldn't go out until Monday or Tuesday. All for no charge! I had to pay $20 for my Tmo SIM.

Robert

Just curious, does your item description look like mine in the photo above? I hope they're sending me the right thing :P

Robert -

You're the man!!!! This worked like a charm.  Mine is being shipped to me at no charge!  Thank you, sir!!!!

-david

Now take the money that you would have been willing to spend on a SIM card, and donate it to S4GRU via PayPal.  You will become a S4GRU Sponsor and get access to maps and lots of great info about Network Vision.  ;)

Robert

• Like 17

• Call 1-888-226-7212

Robert

Rep kept calling it a Samsung Nexus and insisted that it uses a standard sim.

I had to keep correcting her on both mistakes. Lets see what I get in the mail SMH.

She said the system automatically chooses the SIM for the device so I'm optimistic that i'll get the correct micro sim in the mail in a few days.