Sprint TD-LTE 2500/2600mhz Discussion

Can LTE Broadcast be used for Netflix and other streaming content? Or even Slingplayer? I use both program fairly often

It might be possible for the highly in demand shows on Netflix, but there are way too many shows and movies on there to do it for all of them.

Easy to miss. Nothing was put on the main page about it.

Yes, The Wall has become neglected.  After a year and a half of writing for all of you, Robert and I both have developed severe cases of carpal tunnel syndrome.  In fact, I now have to create my posts in The Forums the "Stephen Hawking way."

AJ

• Like 4

Yes, The Wall has become neglected.  After a year and a half of writing for all of you, Robert and I both have developed severe cases of carpal tunnel syndrome.  In fact, I now have to create my posts in The Forums the "Stephen Hawking way."

AJ

Is that because of carpal tunnel syndrome, or because it's really hard to type while wearing your straitjacket?  And then from a slightly different thread, there's the question of whether 2500 LTE is actually usable inside a room with rubber walls?  :lol:

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist!)

• Like 6

Is that because of carpal tunnel syndrome, or because it's really hard to type while wearing your straitjacket? And then from a slightly different thread, there's the question of whether 2500 LTE is actually usable inside a room with rubber walls? :lol:

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist!)

Rubber is wonderful for rf propagation. Low conductivity.

AJ

Na the wall is great, and I do appreciate all the hard work that goes into the articles. I just think when something fairly big like the change  in plans to add 2600 everywhere a little note there would be nice. Doesn't happen very often and a single sentence could pass on the news. Something like "In a conference call Sprint confirmed 2500/2600 will be added to most all NV sites, you can read all about it in the 2500 thread here...." A down side would be knocking the excellent PRL article down and that might get missed.

My opinion is just that an opinion. I don't know how much work it takes to do a wall entry. I don't know if there is a plan for what the wall should be for and what is not wall worthy etc.  

The funny thing is I always pictured AJ soundling like Steven Hawking  anyway. :P <joking>

Rubber is wonderful for rf propagation. Low conductivity.

Off topic not all rubber is the same, some have a lot of carbon and heat up in a microwave.

• Like 1

My apologies if this has been discussed already, but as this thread is nearing a thousand posts, I haven't been able to review each and every one of them. Anyway, I was doing a little reading on LTE Broadcast and from this layman's point of view, it seems pretty interesting.

http://www.fiercebroadbandwireless.com/special-reports/lte-broadcast-gets-ready-its-close

http://www.fiercebroadbandwireless.com/special-reports/lte-broadcast-multiple-use-cases

http://www.fiercebroadbandwireless.com/special-reports/lte-broadcast-operators-hopping-board

http://www.fiercebroadbandwireless.com/special-reports/lte-broadcast-mixed-takes-future

Two Network Vision vendors, Ericsson and Alcatel-Lucent, are working with Qualcomm to develop the technology. Verizon has shown the most interest of any US carrier. However, I think that this technology is now tailor made for Sprint's forthcoming TD-LTE network given their Clearwire purchase. With their tremendous spectrum depth and cell site density, now that they've announced that they're going to put 2.5GHz on all ~39K and beyond, Sprint has a great opportunity to offer differentiating services depending on how the technology develops. It'll be interesting to see if Sprint pursues this and who they might partner with.

I think sprint should partner with Dish on this.????

So I can pick up band 41 LTE in Orange County with my MiFi 500.  :tu: Euclid and W. Broadway in Anaheim. I didn't detect any in Fountain Valley by the Fry's, which is definitely in the Clear WiMAX coverage area. They may have concentrated more on LA and north OC for their initial rollout.

LTE
IMSI: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Connection State: Connected
PLMN ID: 875639091
Band:
[0] type:LTE band:E_UTRA_OPERATING_BAND_41 channel:40978
RSRP: -95 dBm
RSRQ: -8 dB
RS-SINR: 12.8 dB
Tx Power: 11.2 dBm
APN: r.ispsn
IPv4 Address: 0.0.0.0
IPv6 Address: N/A
IPv4 Call Last Error Code:
IPv6 Call Last Error Code: WDS_CER_UNSPECIFIED_V01

Speed test over WiFi:

2893094390.png

Direct over USB:

2893097261.png

EDIT: used the correct image for the direct test.

• Like 21

I realized after making the above post that the MiFi was probably preferring band 25 over 41, so it's possible 2600 is on more towers than I found through my very brief visit to OC/LA. I'll have to get my MSL sometime and see if I can change the preference order.

In my triband tests, speeds did go down when you went inside if you were more than 1/2 mile from the site. However, even with one bar, I still was getting 7-20Mbps on TD-LTE 2600. I even hit 18Mbps with a -120dBm RSRP signal in one test. Also note that my best speed test of all was taken inside my hotel room.In Thornton, Colorado I did testing of where TD-LTE 2600 overlapped Sprint LTE 1900 and the TD-LTE had better results in most instances. Only when the Band 25 exceeded a -80dBm signal and the Band 41 was worse than -115dBm did it get better to be on LTE 1900 Band 25.Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

I know there's no definitive answer to this question, but I live about 2.75 miles from the nearest tower. Can I expect to pick up LTE on 2.5 ghz? I get a decent 3G signal being this far away (usually between -80 and -85).

I picked up Band 41 in Queens over the weekend :D Didn't get a chance to run some speedtests, but there is active coverage there. I used the MSL on my Zing to change my priority to 41, 25, 26.

• Like 10

I picked up Band 41 in Queens over the weekend :D Didn't get a chance to run some speedtests, but there is active coverage there. I used the MSL on my Zing to change my priority to 41, 25, 26.

Now I know why we aren't discovering 800 lte coverage.

I wish you all would set the priority to 26, 41, 25. So you see SMR first then BRS then PCS.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Now I know why we aren't discovering 800 lte coverage.

I wish you all would set the priority to 26, 41, 25. So you see SMR first then BRS then PCS.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

I dunno, I'd prefer that my devices keep off 800 unless they absolutely need to since there's way more spectrum in the higher bands.

And your age!

Ummm, I definitely was not born in 1996.  Nor did I graduate in 1996.  But it does show the year I was married.  ;)

Robert

• Like 2

I dunno, I'd prefer that my devices keep off 800 unless they absolutely need to since there's way more spectrum in the higher bands.

Not to mention 2600 has better performance.  I was getting 10-20Mbps on TD-LTE 2600 sometimes even with zero bars.  Signal quality was everything on TDD-LTE.

Robert

• Like 2