Sprint TD-LTE 2500/2600mhz Discussion

Triband in the house.

I'd love to see a future thread where people post their 2.5 ghz speed tests and whether its indoor/outdoor.

In my triband tests, speeds did go down when you went inside if you were more than 1/2 mile from the site. However, even with one bar, I still was getting 7-20Mbps on TD-LTE 2600. I even hit 18Mbps with a -120dBm RSRP signal in one test. Also note that my best speed test of all was taken inside my hotel room.

In Thornton, Colorado I did testing of where TD-LTE 2600 overlapped Sprint LTE 1900 and the TD-LTE had better results in most instances. Only when the Band 25 exceeded a -80dBm signal and the Band 41 was worse than -115dBm did it get better to be on LTE 1900 Band 25.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I don't. What's the story? I mean, besides apparently not making any phones for Sprint at all for some reason.

Nokia refuses to make an Android phone and Sony only makes GSM phones.

• Like 1

That didn't use to be the case though :

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Nokia-6585_id555 

Yes, true, but that was a decade ago.  As I recall, Nokia did not want to deal with Qualcomm, so it used its own CDMA2000 chipset.  It was not a success, and that was the end of it.

AJ

Yes, true, but that was a decade ago.  As I recall, Nokia did not want to deal with Qualcomm, so it used its own CDMA2000 chipset.  It was not a success, and that was the end of it.

AJ

Huh, I didn't know that. It' kinda funny then that now they can only use Qualcomm SoCs.

I am sure this has been posted elsewhere!  But I could not find this article with an analyst speculating with Steve Elfman's info about implementation and some more solid timeline on BRS spectrum!  I do not know how true the information is but just some food for thought for you 2.5Ghz folks!  

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/analyst-sprints-nationwide-25-ghz-lte-network-could-be-boon-tower-companies/2013-08-01

Anyone want to donate a hotspot so I can see how the speeds are here in Miami? :D

Get a FreedomPop MiFi.

Or if you are still wondering about it in a month and change, drive up to Port St. Lucie and I'll let you borrow mine :)

• Like 1

If limited to the 2.4 GHz ISM band, using only 20 MHz carriers is practically de rigueur.  So few channels are available in the band that using 40 MHz carriers is basically being a bad neighbor.

AJ

I like being a bad neighbor.  :lol:  But we already discussed routers in another thread and how I am eating up 240mhz of local spectrum for my home configuration.

What would be the maximus speeds for these tests: 100 Mbps cause of the backhaul?

And here is Maximus again???

I have no idea what Sprint plans to do about LTE and feature phones, if anything.  As for Single LTE Band device holders, it's not going to be a big deal.  The LTE 1900 network should improve as the build out continues and spreads out the LTE load, and as triband device holders start getting off the LTE 1900 network.  Should be a decent experience that may even get better.  

Sprint has the capacity to add additional LTE 1900 carriers in many markets if necessary too.  SoftBank is not going to allow the network to deteriorate.  I intentionally skipped the S4 and the HTC One because they were released so close to the tribands debut.

Robert

given the decline of feature phones and how adamant Masayoshi (and us enthusiasts are) about "in with the new, out with the old"  I could forsee them just issuing low-mid range smartphones to those that want to hold on to legacy phones that may be a 5 years to decade out of EOL, that are holding up the migration of the network as a whole.  

That is what I would do if I were Son, throw $200M at compatible smartphones and issue them to the holdovers and cancel the olds device.

I stand corrected, it appears they went and did that anyway.     QUOTE FROM http://www.lte-tdd.org/second/index.aspx?nodeid=88&page=ContentPage&contentid=781  REFERENCED EARLIER "....Immediately after closing, Sprint modified the terms of its user agreement to let Sprint WiMAX users upgrade early to LTE right away (by giving them a free LTE phone without forcing a contract renewal)"

You must have slept through the big news where Sprint said they are adding TD-LTE to all 38,000+ Sprint sites. On top of the entire Clearwire network. They said they would also expand with additional TD-LTE sites in urban areas in between Sprint NV sites where needed. Huge news. Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

This is huge news indeed! I think we are all for the new Sprint that is coming out of "the new Sprint."  I'm all butterflies, rainbows and unicorn farts myself with anticipation

The speed of your wifi connection to your phone depends on your ISP and router. On my home Asus AC66U router, I get 55-60 mbps down and 25-30 mbps up on my Galaxy Note 2. I have the same internet speeds as yours, except that I have Comcast.

For most wifi-n routers and portable hotspots/mifi's, I'd expect speeds a fraction of an AC router.

I'm happy that the WIFI thread has been moved, but yes the AC66U (or "R" variant for those who purchased at a retailer) is certainly a beast especially when your devices can use the higher 5GHZ bandwidth.  I'm saturating my neighborhood with 240MHZ of overamped WIFI on 2 AC66R's myself now.

I am right this very second trying to convince my wife to go back to Denver this weekend.

Robert

You really need a place where members can donate "skymiles" and their ilk for such excursions

Yeah I am a hotspot noob.  Never owned a hotspot so I didn't really think about that.

Just be careful on the hotspot usage.  My grandparents just got hit with $600+ in overages (above the 12gb plan limit) because my grandma likes to watch japanese videos on Youtube.  To be fair being as a non-techy she did not understand the T&C but Sprint has made it difficult to enable a cap on their "limited" data plans and she also is in between moving to a new house as the old one has been sold and the new one is still being built.

I ended up going with my grandfather to get her a smartphone (Note 2) so that she could make use of the "unlimited" data feature of the smartphone without having the problems associated with the Hotspot plan.  We also got her some media adapters and cables so that she could watch said videos on her tv (or any other big screen) still

Not being a pest here I hope.. but wondered is your Router 2.4 Ghz ?  My Asus Router is higher end and does both 2.4 and 5Ghz.. My iphone 5 will not do anywhere near the 50 Mb/s down on 2.4 ghz Wi-Fi channels, but once I connect to the 5Ghz Wi-Fi Im getting 50 Mb/s consistently..  I've seen on forums where many never get anywhere near those speeds on other forums and most think its the limitation of the iPhone 5, while I can assure anyone it's not.. This could be the case for your Note 2..

Are you on an Asus AC66 as well?  There is certainly a difference in whether or not the device can support the 5ghz band for wifi and what bandwidth it will support as well.

• Like 3

Oh, it certainly is, but what fun is there without a genital waving contest?

On the serious side, the main benefit is that you can have more people doing normal traffic. You aren't as likely to notice congestion.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Let me know when the "genital waving contest" begins. It will bring a whole new meaning to the term viral video.

• Like 1

That is what I would do if I were Son, throw $200M at compatible smartphones and issue them to the holdovers and cancel the olds device.

They should have done something better with USCC. I don't know a single person that stayed.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

My apologies if this has been discussed already, but as this thread is nearing a thousand posts, I haven't been able to review each and every one of them. Anyway, I was doing a little reading on LTE Broadcast and from this layman's point of view, it seems pretty interesting.

http://www.fiercebroadbandwireless.com/special-reports/lte-broadcast-gets-ready-its-close

http://www.fiercebroadbandwireless.com/special-reports/lte-broadcast-multiple-use-cases

http://www.fiercebroadbandwireless.com/special-reports/lte-broadcast-operators-hopping-board

http://www.fiercebroadbandwireless.com/special-reports/lte-broadcast-mixed-takes-future

Two Network Vision vendors, Ericsson and Alcatel-Lucent, are working with Qualcomm to develop the technology. Verizon has shown the most interest of any US carrier. However, I think that this technology is now tailor made for Sprint's forthcoming TD-LTE network given their Clearwire purchase. With their tremendous spectrum depth and cell site density, now that they've announced that they're going to put 2.5GHz on all ~39K cell sites and beyond, Sprint has a great opportunity to offer differentiating services depending on how the technology develops. It'll be interesting to see if Sprint pursues this and who they might partner with.

• Like 1

My apologies if this has been discussed already, but as this thread is nearing a thousand posts, I haven't been able to review each and every one of them. Anyway, I was doing a little reading on LTE Broadcast and from this layman's point of view, it seems pretty interesting.

http://www.fiercebroadbandwireless.com/special-reports/lte-broadcast-gets-ready-its-close

http://www.fiercebroadbandwireless.com/special-reports/lte-broadcast-multiple-use-cases

http://www.fiercebroadbandwireless.com/special-reports/lte-broadcast-operators-hopping-board

http://www.fiercebroadbandwireless.com/special-reports/lte-broadcast-mixed-takes-future

Two Network Vision vendors, Ericsson and Alcatel-Lucent, are working with Qualcomm to develop the technology. Verizon has shown the most interest of any US carrier. However, I think that this technology is now tailor made for Sprint's forthcoming TD-LTE network given their Clearwire purchase. With their tremendous spectrum depth and cell site density, now that they've announced that they're going to put 2.5GHz on all ~39K and beyond, Sprint has a great opportunity to offer differentiating services depending on how the technology develops. It'll be interesting to see if Sprint pursues this and who they might partner with.

I could actually see Sprint having their Sprint TV app use LTE Broadcast.

Does anyone even pay for Sprint TV content? Sounds like anothermoney pit for Sprint to shut down.

I think they had at least a couple of free channels when I used it a long time ago.

Does anyone even pay for Sprint TV content?

Pay for content? No, I don't, but the ESPN mobile tv channel on Sprint tv is free and I use it throughout the year to watch college basketball and football games when I'm stuck away from home. The quality is usually tolerable to me even on 3G. For some inane reason it was never compatible with WiMAX. Even better quality and potentially less network congestion with LTE Broadcast would make it a win-win IMO.

Does anyone even pay for Sprint TV content? Sounds like another money pit for Sprint to shut down.

It certainly isn't worth it in its present condition, but I have purchased the services many times in the past