Sprint TD-LTE 2500/2600mhz Discussion

Qualcomm has a Webinar coming up on the 28th from 10am to 11am pst talking about guess what? LTE Advance. Just got a signup from Fierce Wireless to sign up fore it.

http://www.qualcomm.com/solutions/wireless-networks/technologies/lte-tdd

http://www.fiercewireless.com/offer/qualcomm_augustwebinar?source=qualcomm_Fierce&spMailingID=5960967&spUserID=Mjk3NTg1NDEyODcS1&spJobID=163534950&spReportId=MTYzNTM0OTUwS0

• Like 2

I have not seen any engineering screen readout on the Netgear tri band hotspot that specifies LTE carrier bandwidth.  But no way are you getting 34 Mbps down, 18 Mbps up out of a 10 MHz TDD carrier, nor a 5 MHz FDD carrier.  The process of elimination indicates a 20 MHz TDD carrier.

AJ

ive not been following this thread 'closely' but have been somewhat.  What is the Mhz ( how fat is the pipe ) of the 2600Mhz Sprint aquired from Clearwire.. Robert was getting pretty good speeds in Denver... no ?

ive not been following this thread 'closely' but have been somewhat. What is the Mhz ( how fat is the pipe ) of the 2600Mhz Sprint aquired from Clearwire.. Robert was getting pretty good speeds in Denver... no ?

It is a 20MHz TDD carrier.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

This may have already been answered so I apologize in advance but how is sprint proceeding with NV now that they own clear. I know they plan to put 2600 on all Sprint towers but never heard what they are doing with Clear towers.

• Are they keeping all existing Clearwire leased towers and converting them to TDD-LTE?
  • Will they be adding 800 and 1900 carriers to clear towers as well?

This may have already been answered so I apologize in advance but how is sprint proceeding with NV now that they own clear. I know they plan to put 2600 on all Sprint towers but never heard what they are doing with Clear towers.

• Are they keeping all existing Clearwire leased towers and converting them to TDD-LTE?

Robert spoke a bit on that a while back here http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4083-sprint-td-lte-25002600mhz-discussion/page-10&do=findComment&comment=172369

Original only the Clearwire sites and a some heavy use hot spots where going to get TDD-LTE. I think a few thousand if I remember right Clearwire sites are already fitted with TDD-LTE  or will be by years end. There has been a lack of any device to use it till the Wifi hotspot routers started shipping a bit ago right before Roberts trip to Colorado. He had TDD-LTE basically everywhere he checked there.

Sprint is apparently going to add another 15,000 to 18,000 sites for TD-LTE!

Sprint's total cell site count will increase to somewhere between 50,000 and 60,000 sites, more than offsetting disconnects of old Clearwire sites.

http://www.fiercebroadbandwireless.com/story/moodys-sprint-att-lte-rollouts-will-boost-tower-companies/2013-08-21

• Like 8

Sprint's total cell site count will increase to somewhere between 50,000 and 60,000 sites, more than offsetting disconnects of old Clearwire sites.

http://www.fiercebroadbandwireless.com/story/moodys-sprint-att-lte-rollouts-will-boost-tower-companies/2013-08-21

That's amazing!!! But we still have to wait :( lol

• Most all yes, except where a Sprint site is close enough it's redundant. 
  • Not known yet. But if they are in an area where signal needs a boost, possibly. Most, nearly all, Clear sites are in areas already well covered by Sprint sites. The exception being protection sites. It would be very cool if Sprint added full services to protection sites, but we just don't know yet.

15,000 to 18,000 additional sites... that's a damn significant increase from the approx... what is it, 32,000 sites sites Sprint has now? I would assume they will be full build sites, and, if that's the case, this could be part of Son's plan to increase Sprint's coverage area and truly compete with Verizon and AT&T. That would be pretty awesome.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

15,000 to 18,000 additional sites... that's a damn significant increase from the approx... what is it, 32,000 sites sites Sprint has now? I would assume they will be full build sites, and, if that's the case, this could be part of Son's plan to increase Sprint's coverage area and truly compete with Verizon and AT&T. That would be pretty awesome.

That probably has more to do with retaining Clear sites than actual new full build Sprint sites. I'm sure there's some in there, but there's just no way that Sprint will be able to compete with Verizon with those since they're mostly urban, not without some serious acquisitions and expansions. 

"We expect that Sprint will repurpose the Clearwire tower sites and add an estimated 15,000 to 18,000 cell tower sites, which will generate increased leasing revenue that the carrier pays to the tower companies," says Gregory Fraser, Moody's vice president-senior analyst. "These new tower sites will replace the 16,500 Clearwire sites scheduled to be decommissioned and will therefore eliminate the risk that lost rent from those towers would not be replaced with new rental revenue."

maybe in not reading this right, but it doesnt sound like they will add more then a few thousand sites.The added sites plus the sites scheduled to be decommissioned is about a wash 

I wonder how 2500 is going to work on a flagpole site. I know that 800 and 1900 use the same panels, but I thought 2500 uses different ones.

If a site can't be co-located they either will find space elsewhere nearby, or possibly just not upgrade that area. It all depends on what's physically possible there. Stealth sites, flagpoles, etc. that can't carry a lot of weight are the most likely to either be upgraded last or not at all because they will require a lot more planning and development.

I wonder how 2500 is going to work on a flagpole site. I know that 800 and 1900 use the same panels, but I thought 2500 uses different ones.

2500 does use a different panel.  So in order to deploy 800/1900/2500 LTE you need to have 2 panels (1 panel with 800/1900, 1 panel with 2500).  In most cases the current 2500 panel on Clearwire sites will be reused for LTE.

2500 does use a different panel. So in order to deploy 800/1900/2500 LTE you need to have 2 panels (1 panel with 800/1900, 1 panel with 2500). In most cases the current 2500 panel on Clearwire sites will be reused for LTE.

AT&T uses a combined panel for all their different bands for use in limited space stealth sites and flagpoles. Sprint could do the same. They just usually support less carriers. But that way they can use all three bands and still upgrade the site.

• Like 1

AT&T uses a combined panel for all their different bands for use in limited space stealth sites and flagpoles. Sprint could do the same. They just usually support less carriers. But that way they can use all three bands and still upgrade the site.

AT&T is now adding a fourth antenna to each sector with an integral RRU. I need to get to that site soon and document it.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

AT&T is now adding a fourth antenna to each sector with an integral RRU. I need to get to that site soon and document it.

It is likely at least PCS 1900 MHz for band 2 LTE, if not also Cellular 850 MHz for band 5 LTE and/or WCS 2300 MHz for band 30 LTE.

AJ

• Like 2

It is likely at least PCS 1900 MHz for band 2 LTE, if not also Cellular 850 MHz for band 5 LTE and/or WCS 2300 MHz for band 30 LTE.

AJ

They usually have some sort of band, technology or frequency indicator on them, so I'll look when I'm there.

• Like 1

They usually have some sort of band, technology or frequency indicator on them, so I'll look when I'm there.

Yeah, the current AT&T antennas list basically a 700-2200 MHz range on the bottom.  We have a telephoto shot or two in one of the threads around here.  But I believe the antennas have only one low frequency port, one high frequency port, making them basically dual band antennas.

If AT&T cannot or will not do AWS 2100+1700 MHz in a market, the high frequency port in the current antennas seemingly could be used for PCS 1900 MHz.  So, maybe the new antennas are for Cellular 850 MHz and WCS 2300 MHz.

AJ

• Like 1

Yeah, the current AT&T antennas list basically a 700-2200 MHz range on the bottom. We have a telephoto shot or two in one of the threads around here. But I believe the antennas have only one low frequency port, one high frequency port, making them basically dual band antennas.

If AT&T cannot or will not do AWS 2100+1700 MHz in a market, the high frequency port in the current antennas seemingly could be used for PCS 1900 MHz. So, maybe the new antennas are for Cellular 850 MHz and WCS 2300 MHz.

AJ

Wow they're moving quick.

System for Mobile Communications, or GSM, and Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution, or EDGE, will be on market-by-market basis. Service on the networks will be fully discontinued by about Jan. 1, 2017.

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/a/SB10000872396390443687504577567313211264588?mg=reno64-wsj

Wow they're moving quick.

System for Mobile Communications, or GSM, and Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution, or EDGE, will be on market-by-market basis. Service on the networks will be fully discontinued by about Jan. 1, 2017.

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/a/SB10000872396390443687504577567313211264588?mg=reno64-wsj

Not that quick really - EDGE will have been out there for what, 15 years by that shutdown date, and EDGE is about as 1x for data. I assume GSM will go with it. Since they are redoing their network with LTE and HSPA+ and WCDMA/HSPA+ carries voice, GSM is pretty useless at this point.

I also seem to recall T-Mobile saying that, wherever possible, they want to totally shut down GSM/EDGE and be totally HSPA+ and LTE.