Sprint TD-LTE 2500/2600mhz Discussion

AT&T and Verizon, in 10x10 markets, can reach into 70/25 Mbps, though those speeds are VERY rare these days. However 45-55 Mbps down and 10-20 Mbps up can still happen in the field. T-Mobile seems to be a bit better; I've seen 50/25 Mbps, though that was only once.

So AT&T, VZW and T-Mobile can all beat the speeds that Robert is pulling down over TD-LTE currently with their 10x10 networks. But all three (particularly AT&T and VZW) are covering much more territory per cell vs. Sprint TD, so even with one 20MHz TD carrier Sprint's speeds are going to stay higher for longer as people load the network down.

Of course, VZW can overlay 10x10 or even 20x20 in FD AWS practically wherever it wants to deal with these capacity issues. And AT&T may be able to patch together PCS and AWS LTE to do about the same thing while they wait for their 10x10 (it's only 10x10 right?) of WCS to become usable. And T-Mobile, which already has a relatively dense network and few subscribers, can go to 20x20 FD in some areas as well...and add more spatial streams for tablets, aircards and hotspots.

But my guess is that Sprint will have multiple TD carriers per site sooner rather than later where they're needed, probably before VZW gets its AWS overlay going at full tilt. And I wouldn't be surprised if next year's Zing supports 20+20 TD, with a better CPU and 802.11ac, to pump out more bandwidth than 20x20 FD can provide (at least on the downstream side).

Yeah in the South Bay I remember seeing VZW LTE around 55/25 or higher. I believe that AT&T is already planning carrier aggregation of their 700mhz and AWS spectrum in many areas too.

I have no doubt that Sprint will want to get 20+20 TD-LTE ASAP.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Actually, if Joey has been left in charge, I imagine the happenings back at the house are a little more like this...

AJ

Totally forgot about this show.

Today's post has been brought to you by Sprint, the letters GN and the number 2.

• Like 1

there is no purpose of letting go of EBS licenses at this point. Unless forced as a concession they should keep it for the time being.

I hope they get rid of some so people like me can pick it up.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

But honestly, 40/25 is more than enough, no? Considering there is a data cap on the hotspots and aircards, anything more will just blow through the gap.

But honestly, 40/25 is more than enough, no? Considering there is a data cap on the hotspots and aircards, anything more will just blow through the gap.

Oh, it certainly is, but what fun is there without a genital waving contest?

On the serious side, the main benefit is that you can have more people doing normal traffic. You aren't as likely to notice congestion.

• Like 3

On the serious side, the main benefit is that you can have more people doing normal traffic. You aren't as likely to notice congestion.

I agree, and that will be fine. The good thing is, only aircards are out right now, so you won't have that issue.

I looked up the Rennaisance Hotel in my GIS software. Clearwire has licensed microwave links off of this site in the following capacities. Unknown if they have fiber here. FiberTower is also at this location, but due to Chapter 11 bankruptcy, I assume they are all dead.

277 Mb

277 Mb

364 Mb

277 Mb

212 Mb

277 Mb

I assume there's fiber here due to how the links are laid out in this area, but I don't have that kind of access to know that information for certain.

• Like 3

In Nashville I have seen get AT&T 60+ Mbps on the DL. Its fast as balls here. I also think I read that AT&T in Nashville was their fastest LTE market.

Most dense towers, least people?

So I think I ran tests on approximately 40% of the Denver area sites in all my testing.  On my spreadsheet, my average speedtest was an impressive 38Mbps.  My lowest download was 12Mbps.  And my highest was 53Mbps.  I did see some peaks around 58-60Mbps, but they would always drop to the lower 50's by the time the test completed.  About 35% of the sites were above 40Mbps.

I am not able to definitively determine the cause of the speeds not reaching anywhere near their theoretical maximum.  I am 100% sure that the airlink is not saturated. Not even close.  If Sprint has sold more than 200-300 triband hotspots in the entire Denver metro area at this point, I'd be shocked.  That means on average, there is one user per sector currently.  It could be an artificial limit created by the network, or a backhaul limitation.  I truly expected to find one site/sector that was 60-90Mbps.

I found several sites with what appeared to have 4, 5 and even 6 sectors.  However, when looking at the antennas, I could never locate more than three physical sectors.  Every sector was Channel 40978.

Thank you to all who donated to the Denver trip.  Your donations paid for just over half the costs.  It is greatly appreciated!!

Robert

• Like 24

(not sure if I should post this here or in the other MiFi discussion thread)

2my22x4.jpg

For those of you who are going to be LTE hunting with the MiFi 500, you can change quite a lot in the data profile settings, provided you have your MSL (which you can get in a variety of ways). Interesting to note is that the device, by default, scans for Band 25 (1900 MHz PCS G-Block LTE), Band 26 next (800 MHz ESMR LTE) and then finally Band 41 (2500 MHz BRS/EBS LTE). A quick reversi on that, maybe a lowering of the LTE scan timer, and I'll go drive around a little more this weekend and see what I can pick up (if anything).

Also interesting is that it uses an LTE_Available file, which iirc we saw on the EVO LTE, and few other devices.

I found a Band 41 Clearwire Flagpole on my way to work on the MiFi....

Good job! Why did you quote my post, though?

I used your method to change band order & scan times. Worked like a charm.

• Like 2

It's more than just a I'm better than you type of situation. It's perception and marketing. The only way Sprint gets more new customers to their network is to show what it is capable of. Do you think someone would want to switch to a lower speed network? In most cases for all of us here on the S4RGU, its more about capacity and not having your network bog down when the network is saturated. The general public does not get that fact, and to be honest, it would be nice to say that you are on a better network instead of feeling like a third step child. Meh...my 2 cents.

• Like 1

It's more than just a I'm better than you type of situation. It's perception and marketing. The only way Sprint gets more new customers to their network is to show what it is capable of. Do you think someone would want to switch to a lower speed network? In most cases for all of us here on the S4RGU, its more about capacity and not having your network bog down when the network is saturated. The general public does not get that fact, and to be honest, it would be nice to say that you are on a better network instead of feeling like a third step child. Meh...my 2 cents.

Isn't it a shame the general public is mostly composed of idiots?

• Like 1

Don't be too hard on the general public; like their toaster they just want their cell phone to work; they could care less about the speeds & feeds!

Don't be too hard on the general public; like their toaster they just want their cell phone to work; they could care less about the speeds & feeds!

It was meant to be a sarcastic remark; sarcasm doesn't show well in text form. Sorry if it came off offensive.   

It was meant to be a sarcastic remark; sarcasm doesn't show well in text form. Sorry if it came off offensive.   

No worries..I assumed the sarcasm was in place...there are not too many offensive folks that hang out here

and those that are offensive are soon run out of town!  Cheers..

• Like 1

That's why they're doing aggregation. It doesn't help sprint because it doesn't increase the spectral efficiency and it won't even help average user speeds.

Only peak speeds will double.

Edited by qpotlk1134

yea but it would be nice if the majority of the general public took a little more time to understand what goes on behind the scenes for our cell phones,cars, etc. It drives me insane when a machine at my work breaks down and supervisors are looking at you like why wasn't it fixed 5 min ago!  

• Like 2

yea but it would be nice if the majority of the general public took a little more time to understand what goes on behind the scenes for our cell phones,cars, etc. It drives me insane when a machine at my work breaks down and supervisors are looking at you like why wasn't it fixed 5 min ago!

Let's be honest: the only reason why everyone here is saying this is because Sprint's network (currently) sucks, right?

If a car has a design flaw, should consumers be expected to educate themselves on the intricacies of engine design?

The product should be a black box: it has inputs and it is expected to give certain outputs for which the consumer pays. Sprint's network currently doesn't provide those outputs so . . . why should consumers have to educate themselves?

How about the network just does what it should?

• Like 8

Let's be honest: the only reason why everyone here is saying this is because Sprint's network (currently) sucks, right?

If a car has a design flaw, should consumers be expected to educate themselves on the intricacies of engine design?

The product should be a black box: it has inputs and it is expected to give certain outputs for which the consumer pays. Sprint's network currently doesn't provide those outputs so . . . why should consumers have to educate themselves?

Excellently put. This is my opinion as well.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

Thats a faulty analogy. Nobody here has defended the current state of Sprints network. What has been defended is the attempts to improve that network. So using your logic, if you bought a screwed up car are you going to yell at the mechanic because it is taking a long time to fix it, stick with the car and the mechanic, dump it and buy a new car or stomp your feet and complain about the manufacturer of the car?

• Like 1