SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Next time he sees you, Mike will give you a great big smooch!

My girlfriend is on a VZW family account.  Mike needs to get band identification working on VZW.  Then, maybe he gets a smooch.

AJ

Not to bug, but any news on when the beta will have a public release? Quite excited for the upgrade.

I've been trying to get the damn never-ending "sticky PLMN" bug fixed first, but again, making no progress so I might not wait that long. I wanted to confirm stability on Marshmallow since I knew it was imminent; now that it's out, the new SDK broke half of the app so I'm trying to resolve all of that. Two steps forward, one step back..

My girlfriend is on a VZW family account.  Mike needs to get band identification working on VZW.  Then, maybe he gets a smooch.

Band identification for VZW went live in the public update pushed out in May.. pucker up!

-Mike

• Like 5

I've been trying to get the damn never-ending "sticky PLMN" bug fixed first, but again, making no progress so I might not wait that long. I wanted to confirm stability on Marshmallow since I knew it was imminent; now that it's out, the new SDK broke half of the app so I'm trying to resolve all of that. Two steps forward, one step back..

Band identification for VZW went live in the public update pushed out in May.. pucker up!

-Mike

Need any information from the n6 for marshmallow?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Simple question.. How is it possible for me to surf the web on 107dbm of 1900LTE? That isn't even sufficient for a voice call. Yet I am getting some good web speeds?attachicon.gif Screenshot_2015-09-04-19-44-00.png

attachicon.gif Screenshot_2015-09-04-19-42-34.png

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Because voice doesnt go over lte. So just because the lte connection is good, doesnt mean the cdma one is

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Simple question.. How is it possible for me to surf the web on 107dbm of 1900LTE? That isn't even sufficient for a voice call. Yet I am getting some good web speeds?attachicon.gif Screenshot_2015-09-04-19-44-00.png

attachicon.gif Screenshot_2015-09-04-19-42-34.png

Subtract (technically add) about 15-20 dbm to get the equivalent CDMA signal strength. So that's like a -92 or -87 CDMA signal, which is very usable.

Sent from my Nexus 6

• Like 2

Simple question.. How is it possible for me to surf the web on 107dbm of 1900LTE? That isn't even sufficient for a voice call. Yet I am getting some good web speeds?

I surf and download the web on a -126dbm signal regularly. 

• Like 2

Subtract (technically add) about 15-20 dbm to get the equivalent CDMA signal strength. So that's like a -92 or -87 CDMA signal, which is very usable.

Sent from my Nexus 6

That should be a usable signal but is it possible that he is on a congested tower and that is why his calls won't go through (the voice portion obviously)

• Like 2

That should be a usable signal but is it possible that he is on a congested tower and that is why his calls won't go through (the voice portion obviously)

I can actually make choppy sounding calls that drop often. I just couldn't figure out the reading. It seemed like a really bad signal level, but yet I could do stuff. LTE data must be a different animal.

Any idea on how strong signal is necessary to carry a VolTE call?

Also is the signal actually "weaker" than CDMA or is it just a different way of measuring it?

I can actually make choppy sounding calls that drop often. I just couldn't figure out the reading. It seemed like a really bad signal level, but yet I could do stuff. LTE data must be a different animal.

Also is the signal actually "weaker" than CDMA or is it just a different way of measuring it.

Voice/EVDO is measured in RSSI.

LTE is measured in RSRP.

There is approximately a 20dB difference between the two measurements. Generally, LTE is usable down to -120dBm RSRP (B41 can be used at -125 or even -130dBm under good conditions). That's roughly equivalent to -100dBm RSSI on 1x, which is where performance starts to fall off for that technology, though it can be stable at even lower signals.

Sprint doesn't have volte yet

You are correct...I was kind of thinking hypothetically...like if Sprint had VolTE, would there be a range improvement...

• Like 1

You are correct...I was kind of thinking hypothetically...like if Sprint had VolTE, would there be a range improvement...

I don't really know how much signal you would need or if it would improve with volte but i assume all u need is good data speed for a volte call. So yes it theoretically should work with ur signal

I don't really know how much signal you would need or if it would improve with volte but i assume all u need is good data speed for a volte call. So yes it theoretically should work with ur signal

-120dBm is still going to be the basic end range of LTE, at least our 5x5 B25 and B26 channels. I think the question you're asking is what data speeds are needed. Voice does not use much data, so it should work even on a weak signal. However, it can get choppy real quick because LTE is a rather fragile airlink. 

This is getting pretty far off topic. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I have been off Android for awhile and I searched this topic but couldn't find anything conclusive. 

I know about the bug in Android 5.1 with the 1x showing up after finding LTE for awhile.  However, I can't get the vibration/alerts to turn off when finding LTE.  Is that another bug in the beta, or just something showing up on my MXPE?  (and yes, I made sure the checkboxes are unchecked.  :P )

So I have been off Android for awhile and I searched this topic but couldn't find anything conclusive. 

I know about the bug in Android 5.1 with the 1x showing up after finding LTE for awhile.  However, I can't get the vibration/alerts to turn off when finding LTE.  Is that another bug in the beta, or just something showing up on my MXPE?  (and yes, I made sure the checkboxes are unchecked.  :P )

That is something new. All alerts are off for 1x800 and LTE? Running the beta here and not seeing that issue.

That is something new. All alerts are off for 1x800 and LTE? Running the beta here and not seeing that issue.

Yeah...  it seems to just be whenever it actually updates from the erroneous 1x and LTE to LTE 800.  Maybe I am just crazy though ( :frantic: ).  I am at work still and only have it on vibrate - maybe something else is syncing and causing it at random times that is making me think it is SCP. 

I will know later today on my way home if that for sure is what is going on here.

Out of curiosity, have you tried changing sounds? I was having an issue maybe about a year ago with no audio notification because the sound I chose was on my SD instead of local/built in storage. This was also on KK, which had lots of bugs for non-root SD card access.

Out of curiosity, have you tried changing sounds? I was having an issue maybe about a year ago with no audio notification because the sound I chose was on my SD instead of local/built in storage. This was also on KK, which had lots of bugs for non-root SD card access.

Well right now it is just the vibration alert since I have it on silent. 

I might be trying to make something out of nothing.  Will definitely update later this evening.

Well right now it is just the vibration alert since I have it on silent. 

I might be trying to make something out of nothing.  Will definitely update later this evening.

Seems to be fixed now.  Weird.

So in trying to figure out what the issue was, I do what you always do first in IT - reboot! 

After rebooting I opened up the Alerts tab in Preferences and noticed that the 1x 800 Audio Alert and LTE Audio Alert were somehow re-checked.  (they truly were unchecked before rebooting.  I made sure multiple times)  Well I unchecked them again and all seems good now.

• Like 1

At least in our Samsung Market and a few other Samsung Markets I have tested in, there is no difference currently.  Initially there was a difference, and in the future Sprint may support more B41 channels than will support Carrier Aggregation.  Thus best to retain the distinction for now until we know more.  The key item is knowing which earfcn it is using for both channels to help figure out how Sprint is using the spectrum (requires using debug/engineering screens on most phones using Android).

• Like 1

At least in our Samsung Market and a few other Samsung Markets I have tested in, there is no difference currently. Initially there was a difference, and in the future Sprint may support more B41 channels than will support Carrier Aggregation. Thus best to retain the distinction for now until we know more. The key item is knowing which earfcn it is using for both channels to help figure out how Sprint is using the spectrum (requires using debug/engineering screens on most phones using Android).

Well the Moto X Pure has shitty debug and engineering screens this is really B41

a6e0e7c5e12332ddabc38c04dfee0eba.jpg

Sent from Moto X Pure via Tapatalk

Well the Moto X Pure has shitty debug and engineering screens this is really B41

Yeah, we know.  It has been documented and discussed in the 2015 Moto X thread.  Every band appears to be one number too low.  The 2013 Moto X seemed to have the opposite issue.  It was a single band LTE device on Sprint, yet it identified band 25 as band 26.  In between, the 2014 Moto X from Republic Wireless but on the Sprint network had no such issues.

AJ

At least in our Samsung Market and a few other Samsung Markets I have tested in, there is no difference currently.  Initially there was a difference, and in the future Sprint may support more B41 channels than will support Carrier Aggregation.  Thus best to retain the distinction for now until we know more.  The key item is knowing which earfcn it is using for both channels to help figure out how Sprint is using the spectrum (requires using debug/engineering screens on most phones using Android).

If Signal Check Pro what would show Carrier Aggregation what would it look like? Sometimes i see 1xRtt and LTE on the screen at the same time.