SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

41 minutes ago, stlman314 said:

SCP is crashing again. I verified that battery optimizing is turned off. It was good for a minute but started back crashing again this past week. 

Ugh. Did you recently get any device software updates? Please try sending a diagnostic right after it crashes just in case.. unfortunately that hasn't included anything useful so far but who knows. 

There are a lot of bugfixes coming in the next update, possibly rolling out as soon as tomorrow. Maybe/hopefully it will resolve these issues I'm not getting any crash reports on. I'm lost without any error messages or specific behavior patterns.

• Like 2

On 3/19/2021 at 11:20 AM, mikejeep said:

It's new in this beta round.. just realized this isn't the beta thread.. oops. Coming soon for everyone else! 😁

Sorry I posted in the wrong thread. I'll move over to the other one.

An update to SignalCheck Pro is ready for all users and is rolling out on Google Play now! It should be available shortly. You may be prompted to update when you open the app; if not, you can check Google Play. There are a LOT of bugfixes in this release, and a lot of groundwork for future improvements. As always, I love to hear feedback -- especially in the form of a Google Play review.

SignalCheck Lite will be updated to this version soon.

Those of you asking about the references that have popped up regarding "web data uploads".. stay tuned. Something really cool is in the works!

Below is the full changelog of this version (4.66) with some details as needed..

Added toggling of Location Service, Site Logger, and Trail Logger features by clicking on the icons on the main screen. (Pro)
Changed site note lock option to also lock Location/Site/Trail buttons. (Pro)

The icons along the top row of the main screen are now clickable to enable/disable each feature. If you want to prevent accidental toggling of these options, you can enable the lock option under Preferences > Display Settings.

Added option to display location accuracy on the main screen. (Pro)
Changed location coordinates to update on main screen in real-time, independent of mobile signal updates. (Pro)

The display coordinates can now show the accuracy (in meters) of your calculated location, either all the time or only when the Trail Logger is enabled. The coordinates will also now update as they are refreshed, regardless of how often your mobile signal information updates.

Changed pending diagnostic reports to use app cache; eliminates need for Storage permission to send reports.
Users who choose not to grant Storage permissions to the app can now send diagnostic reports. Other storage-related features still require the permission to be granted.

Bugfixes/self-explanatory changes:

• Changed LTE band 13 to display as LTE 750.
  • Code optimizations and enhancements.
  • Resolved force closes on some Android 10 devices.
  • Resolved force closes on some devices when attempting to update site notes. (Pro)
  • Resolved force closes on some devices when connected to a WCDMA network.
  • Resolved force closes when root modem functions were enabled. (Pro)
  • Resolved issue with CDMA 1X BSL remaining on screen after 1X connection is lost. (Pro)
  • Resolved issue with cell ID format on alert notifications not matching user preferences. (Pro)
  • Resolved issue with invalid signal strengths displayed on some devices when connected to a WCDMA network.
  • Resolved issue with older log database imports failing. (Pro)
  • Resolved logcat warnings when inserting geocoded addresses. (Pro)
  • Resolved SSL errors when sending diagnostic reports on older devices.
  • Resolved Wi-Fi errors on some Android 11 devices.

Thanks for all of your support!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mikejeep said:

The coordinates will also now update as they are refreshed, regardless of how often your mobile signal information updates.

I meant to tell you that I noticed this over the weekend and find it IMMENSELY useful.  Thank you so much!

- Trip

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 2/11/2021 at 3:51 AM, RegiOween said:

Hello Mike & forum mates!

I have some other info that may or may not (again) help to solve that "mysterious" problem regarding the refreshing issue on my Android 7 device, described in the following steps:

1) Full system image backup using TWRP, just to make sure I could recover from the exactly same point I was before this test.

2) Clean install from the original system image (LineageOS 14.1 / Android 7.1)

3) Installation of SignalCheck Pro from Google Play Store without any other app installed, just to make sure another app could not be interfering in SCP functionality.

4) Wait for more than 10 minutes to signal strength icon refresh in status bar, to no available.

5) Installation of Cell Signal Monitor Free to check the same information in parallel with SCP.

6) Screenshot 40 minutes later, and SCP remais with the same timestamp and signal strength, while the signal strength changed several times between this period in the other app.

7) As a last information, the system network type icon always refresh real time in status bar, whenever it changes (LTE, H+, H, G, E, etc.), so I think this is an evidence there's not a problem with my system itself, but SCP isn't being able to keep the information reliable, for some reason that I'm really trying to help finding, since it managed to work perfectly for a little short time after the last update, but stopped working out of nothing...

PS: All the relative information are highlighted in RED on the screenshot attached.

I hope it helps, and thanks in advance!

SCP.thumb.png.33f41191912cd2954939af5d40a435e2.png

New update, same old problem here.

I'm really sad to say I'm giving up on SCP... 😔

Thanks for the attention!

10 hours ago, RegiOween said:

New update, same old problem here.

I'm really sad to say I'm giving up on SCP... 😔

Awww man I planned on reaching out to you to see if this update resolved your issues. I am still stumped -- feel free to send me another diagnostic report on the new version if you still have it. If you're moving on, PM me your Google Play order number and I'll refund your purchase.

12 hours ago, mikejeep said:

Awww man I planned on reaching out to you to see if this update resolved your issues. I am still stumped -- feel free to send me another diagnostic report on the new version if you still have it. If you're moving on, PM me your Google Play order number and I'll refund your purchase.

Hello Mike!

I sent you a new diagnostic report.
There's no need to refund my purchase, since I really appreciate your efforts to help solve my problem, and your always attencious feedback.
Besides, SignalCheck Pro is a fantastic app, despite not working as intended on my system, so I'm glad to be a small contributor to your future developments.

Keep up the good work!

• Like 5

Morning Mike,

I sent you a couple crash reports via Google Play yesterday. I'm running the latest version of SCP. Sometimes when opening SCP it opens to a grey screen then eventually will start. Other times it crash. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, stlman314 said:

I sent you a couple crash reports via Google Play yesterday. I'm running the latest version of SCP. Sometimes when opening SCP it opens to a grey screen then eventually will start. Other times it crash. 

Thanks! Unfortunately Google Play doesn't pass on any user info or comments, so it's difficult to pinpoint those.. but one of my other crash reporting libraries caught it (the username from diagnostic reports is included on those). That crash is something I've been working on, it just recently started over the past couple of months and only impacts GSM/WCDMA connections. Looks like you were on HSPA at the time of the crash. I added some additional error tracking in this version so your report was very helpful.. hopefully I can squash it.

• Like 2

On 3/27/2021 at 2:17 AM, mikejeep said:

Thanks! Unfortunately Google Play doesn't pass on any user info or comments, so it's difficult to pinpoint those.. but one of my other crash reporting libraries caught it (the username from diagnostic reports is included on those). That crash is something I've been working on, it just recently started over the past couple of months and only impacts GSM/WCDMA connections. Looks like you were on HSPA at the time of the crash. I added some additional error tracking in this version so your report was very helpful.. hopefully I can squash it.

Thanks Mike. I try to send in all my crash reports just in case something is different in the reason it crashes.

• Thanks 1

A new SignalCheck Pro update is now available for download, version 4.67. It includes the following changes:

Added one-time popup to comply with Google Play background location policy.
This popup is a policy mandate, there are no changes to existing app behavior. The popup will only display on first launch after a brand new installation.

Changed location accuracy precision to one decimal place.
Changed location accuracy to display in feet if metric units are not enabled.
Improved PLMN ID validation.
Resolved force closes on some devices when connected to GSM/WCDMA networks.

These should be self-explanatory but feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Thanks for your support, feedback is always welcome!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Mike & forum mates!

I have some pretty fuckin' good news to share here, and I'm very excited to say it!
After countless "tried & failed" attempts to make SignalCheck Pro to work on my old device, I decided to give a "bazooka shot" this time:

Clean install of another version of LineageOS, Oreo (8.1) instead of the old Nougat (7.1).
Things are working flawlessly, at least till now, despite my old phone (Moto X Play 2015) doesn't have official support for this version of Android.

You might ask "why not 9 or 10", and the answer is quite simple: NO NATIVE SUPPORT FOR XPOSED, which I can't live without.

I'm drinking a stupidly cold beer right now, while typing this text.
God bless SignalCheck Pro, God bless Android, God bless you all!!!
I'm drunk, and happy... 😄🍺

Temp.png

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 4/24/2021 at 5:59 PM, RegiOween said:

Things are working flawlessly, at least till now, despite my old phone (Moto X Play 2015) doesn't have official support for this version of Android.

I'm drinking a stupidly cold beer right now, while typing this text.
God bless SignalCheck Pro, God bless Android, God bless you all!!!
I'm drunk, and happy... 😄🍺

Haha!! That is great news, I am happy you got it working. Cheers!!

If anyone has taken advantage of the new T-Mobile 5G upgrade program to get a Samsung Galaxy A32, you will notice that SignalCheck does not show consistent 5G-NR information (most notably, no RSRP values). It is an issue with the Samsung firmware and I am working with their support to get it resolved in a future Samsung update.

The next SCP update will have some improvements to show more information on the A32 (and possibly other devices if they have similar issues), but a fix from Samsung will be needed for full compatibility.

• Like 4

On 4/26/2021 at 12:03 PM, mikejeep said:

If anyone has taken advantage of the new T-Mobile 5G upgrade program to get a Samsung Galaxy A32, you will notice that SignalCheck does not show consistent 5G-NR information (most notably, no RSRP values). It is an issue with the Samsung firmware and I am working with their support to get it resolved in a future Samsung update.

The next SCP update will have some improvements to show more information on the A32 (and possibly other devices if they have similar issues), but a fix from Samsung will be needed for full compatibility.

Mike, 

Do you know if the A32 5G has Standalone 5G out of the box?

5 minutes ago, IrwinshereAgain said:

Do you know if the A32 5G has Standalone 5G out of the box?

My A32 does have standalone 5G support. I have a T-Mobile SIM installed. Not rooted/modified/hacked at all.

Not sure how literally you mean "out of the box", so I will mention that mine did some software updates shortly after I activated it. No idea what features might have been added/fixed. Might have just been catching up on the standard monthly Android rollouts.

2 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

My A32 does have standalone 5G support. I have a T-Mobile SIM installed. Not rooted/modified/hacked at all.

Not sure how literally you mean "out of the box", so I will mention that mine did some software updates shortly after I activated it. No idea what features might have been added/fixed. Might have just been catching up on the standard monthly Android rollouts.

Ok.  I probably need to activate the new sim card and let it update everything.  We used the sim card from my wife's Nexus 6 so far.

10 minutes ago, IrwinshereAgain said:

Ok.  I probably need to activate the new sim card and let it update everything.  We used the sim card from my wife's Nexus 6 so far.

I am a Sprint customer, and the phone came with a Sprint SIM pre-installed but a brand new T-Mobile SIM kit in the box. Wanting to use it as a native T-Mobile device, I installed the TMO SIM before I powered it up to ensure it didn't get activated as Sprint/TNA (which I believe cannot do standalone).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mikejeep said:

I am a Sprint customer, and the phone came with a Sprint SIM pre-installed but a brand new T-Mobile SIM kit in the box. Wanting to use it as a native T-Mobile device, I installed the TMO SIM before I powered it up to ensure it didn't get activated as Sprint/TNA (which I believe cannot do standalone).

Ok. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2021 at 9:30 AM, jf15219 said:

Any update on partial 5G info showing on LG v60 (Sprint SIM)?

I do have a new update in the works that improves 5G data, but only if the phone is reporting it.. send a diagnostic next time you're connected to standalone 5G and I'll see if it's reporting anything else I can use. Non-standalone does not report much right now on any device.

New phones and not do good T-Mobile tower powers.  I became interested in our hobby again.  Loaded Signal check Light and Pro.  Dropped a few  shekels  in the SC kity

Now I am getting SC Pro need to set some permissions.  Cannot find the way to check my permissions so I can check that out.  Woutd you kindly point me to a way to check and approve some permissions in SC Pro??

TIA

Running Samsung  9S and A32 G

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

How does the software determine second carriers for example B41^2? A second B2 carrier has gone live here in the Metro Seattle area but it doesn't show B2^2

With Sprint it's based off GCI patterns that were consistent among each equipment vendor, so every region followed the same rules (for the most part). Not sure we've seen as consistent GCI rules for other carriers.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

With Sprint it's based off GCI patterns that were consistent among each equipment vendor, so every region followed the same rules (for the most part). Not sure we've seen as consistent GCI rules for other carriers.

Verizon, in my experience, is pretty consistent.  Not so for AT&T and T-Mobile.

- Trip