SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Do you think it'd be possible to edit site notes for all recorded cells somehow?  I have a lot of recorded sites that either have blank notes or descriptions that aren't very accurate, but I can't always catch them when I'm out for a drive to fix them.  I'd love to be able to export them to a .CSV and then edit them in a spreadsheet app, then re-import the updated information to SCP.  Or, edit them in-app somehow.  

8 hours ago, CrackedLCD said:

Do you think it'd be possible to edit site notes for all recorded cells somehow?  I have a lot of recorded sites that either have blank notes or descriptions that aren't very accurate, but I can't always catch them when I'm out for a drive to fix them.  I'd love to be able to export them to a .CSV and then edit them in a spreadsheet app, then re-import the updated information to SCP.  Or, edit them in-app somehow.  

Yes, the site notes are all stored in a sqlite database what the app refers to as the "Site Log". This database can be backed up from the app, edited externally, and then imported back into the app. There are two things you must be cautious of when doing this:

1. The app does not do an in-depth verification of the structure of imported databases. Do not change the database structure, and I strongly advise not changing any fields in the database other than the Site Notes.

2. When importing a database, it will overwrite the database currently on your device. So if you backup your database and then re-import it a month later, you will lose any data you recorded during that month.

To backup your database, go to Logs > Backup Log Database. To import it once you are done, go to Logs > Import Log Database. Saving a backup copy of your original database before you start editing is good practice in case something goes wrong.

It is easiest to browse/modify the database on a computer; the program I have found to be most useful is the free open-source DB Browser for SQLite (https://sqlitebrowser.org). There are many mobile apps available on Google Play as well.

To get to the information you are looking for in the database, browse to the "sites_lte" and "sites_nr" tables, and you will be looking to modify the "user_note" field. Something to note is that the app does use logic to use site notes across multiple sectors it identifies to be at the same site. So, if there are multiple sectors recorded in your database for the same site, and you do not change all of them, the app could overwrite your new note with an older note if it connects to the sector with the older note first, depending on the sequence of events and your app settings at the time. Good practice when editing notes might be to sort by gci/nci, so you can easily see what similar sectors are already recorded. This was more challenging with Sprint sites because the app is able to link LTE sites with dissimilar GCIs in some regions, but what is left of the Sprint network is fading fast so this is less of an issue today.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

...and I strongly advise not changing any fields in the database other than the Site Notes...

**looks around nervously**

:ninja:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I personally use SQLiteStudio.  Got it open right now, trying to rush through data from a trip on Tuesday before I go out of town again tomorrow morning.  I have 48,000 rows in sites_lte and 5,000 in sites_nr, most (not all) of which have proper labels on them.

- Trip

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• mikejeep changed the title to SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

Just wanted to provide a brief update on SignalCheck development progress.. a beta version is in the final stages of testing, and if everything works well, I will be rolling out a public update next week. Dual-SIM support is in testing and working fairly well. However, it may not be included in this next update, as there are a couple of hiccups that still need to be ironed out. I do intend to have it ready in the near future though.

The upcoming version has a lot of significant changes, behind the scenes and user-facing. Countless bug fixes, many stability improvements, and some new features. As long as things go smoothly once it is released, dual-SIM and other cool stuff should not be far behind. Stay tuned and thanks for the support!

• Like 8

On 3/3/2023 at 9:34 PM, mikejeep said:

The upcoming version has a lot of significant changes, behind the scenes and user-facing. Countless bug fixes, many stability improvements, and some new features

Fixed notification bar at the top?

32 minutes ago, though said:

Fixed notification bar at the top?

No, that's beyond my control. It's an Android bug the Android developers need to fix. It impacts all apps with multi-layered dynamic icons, as well as apps that are displaying more than one notification simultaneously. They haven't said anything on the official issue tracker report so I doubt it will be fixed with this week's monthly Android update (which should've been out today but still hasn't been released), but who knows.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, mikejeep said:

No, that's beyond my control. It's an Android bug the Android developers need to fix. It impacts all apps with multi-layered dynamic icons, as well as apps that are displaying more than one notification simultaneously. They haven't said anything on the official issue tracker report so I doubt it will be fixed with this week's monthly Android update (which should've been out today but still hasn't been released), but who knows.

Thanks for your awesome work @mikejeep

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...

A brand new SignalCheck Pro update is finally rolling out to all users today! The number of changes and improvements is significant, see here for the full list:

https://signalcheck.app/changelog

Dual-SIM support is still in the final phases of testing and is not included in this public release. I anticipate it to be ready soon, testing is going very well but there are still a few more bugs to iron out.

I appreciate everyone's support and look forward to feedback!

EDIT: Update has been processed and is now available for download from Google Play.

Edited by mikejeep
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 4

• 4 weeks later...

A new SignalCheck Pro update is rolling out to all users now; it should become available on Google Play within the next several hours. This release includes numerous bugfixes, including:

• Resolved force closes when phone permission was not granted on some older devices.
  • Resolved issue with incorrect 5G-NR bands displayed on many devices due to Android bug.
  • Resolved issue with internal crash reporting library initialization errors on some devices.
  • Resolved issue with missing icons on some devices.
  • Resolved issue with Wi-Fi info only updating on connection/disconnection.

Dual-SIM support remains in development and is not included in this public release. Testing continues to go well but there are still a few more bugs being worked on.

I appreciate all of your support!

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

A new update to SignalCheck Pro is rolling out now to all users. It should become available on Google Play within the hour. It includes several bugfixes, including:

• Added display of 5G-NR timing advance (TA) value on Android 14+ devices. This is new in Android 14, so it will likely take some time before it is reported by devices.
  • Improved Android 14 compatibility.
  • Resolved issue with inconsistent appearance in recent apps list.
  • Resolved issue with stale Wi-Fi info being displayed after disconnection.
  • Resolved several memory leaks.

Dual-SIM development remains an ongoing work in progress, but it is getting very close to release. I appreciate everyone's support!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

A minor bugfix update to SignalCheck Pro is rolling out now to all users and should be available within the hour. It includes a fix for Android 14 devices crashing when Location permission is not granted and the background service is enabled.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

An update to SignalCheck Pro is rolling out now to all users and should be available on Google Play shortly. Mostly bugfixes:

• Added accent colors for additional wireless providers.
  • Code optimizations and enhancements.
  • Resolved force closes upon launch on some Android 14 devices when some permissions are not granted.
  • Resolved force closes when saving invalid site notes on some devices.
  • Resolved issue with incorrect 5G-NR bands displayed on some devices due to Android bug.

Thanks for all of your support!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

For months I've been complaining on CellMapper about DISH Wireless's (313340) current method of obtaining its gNB is incorrect, where sites are split between gNBs, mismatch sectors, and other general errors. Today I mapped several of DISH's sites on SCP and it also seems to be using the same method as CM.

Without having to re-type everything out again, here's the post on Reddit I made on r/CellMapper:

I'm not proposing this is official by any means, but it does make much better sense than what is being used right now. Thanks!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RyanThaDude said:

For months I've been complaining on CellMapper about DISH Wireless's (313340) current method of obtaining its gNB is incorrect, where sites are split between gNBs, mismatch sectors, and other general errors. Today I mapped several of DISH's sites on SCP and it also seems to be using the same method as CM.

Thanks, this bug was brought up in the beta thread and there is an open ticket on the issue tracker for it -- your Reddit post is part of the discussion! I have a temporary workaround in testing getting rolled out soon, and will be working on a full solution.

• Like 2

On 11/21/2023 at 4:42 PM, RyanThaDude said:

The SignalCheck map should calculate Dish gNBs correctly—are you seeing issues there or just in-app?

6 hours ago, RAvirani said:

The SignalCheck map should calculate Dish gNBs correctly—are you seeing issues there or just in-app?

4 hours ago, Trip said:

It's correct on the map. 

- Trip

It should be correct in SCP on a standalone basis, ideally in a way that the SignalCheck map can handle either way with some adjustments.

Same with any other SignalCheck map fixes, which should also be fixed at the source in SCP.

1 hour ago, dkyeager said:

It should be correct in SCP on a standalone basis, ideally in a way that the SignalCheck map can handle either way with some adjustments.

Same with any other SignalCheck map fixes, which should also be fixed at the source in SCP.

The app only sends raw cell IDs to the map. The map does all of its computations independently from the app. 

• 2 weeks later...

An update to SignalCheck Pro is rolling out now to all users, and should be available on Google Play shortly! Here are the highlights of version 4.83:

• Added option to control LTE/NR TA display when reported value is 0.
  • Added option to control LTE-TDD TA correction.
  • Adjusted Dish Wireless 5G-NR site notes to be unique per sector (instead of per site) until proper site note linking can be implemented. Previously logged Dish Wireless note entries may be incorrect.
  • Improved identification of unregistered 5G-NR cells.
  • Improved permission request handling.
  • Resolved issue with blank display on devices with restricted permissions.
  • Resolved issue with incorrect 5G-NR bands displayed on some devices due to Android bug.
  • Resolved issue with invalid LTE/NR data displayed on some Motorola Edge devices.
  • Resolved numerous force closes, mostly related to permissions that were not granted by the user.

The full changelog can also be viewed here. I appreciate everyone's feedback and support!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

A server update impacted SignalCheck diagnostic reports that were sent from 12/30/23 until a few minutes ago. If you sent something of value, please re-send it when you can -- it was never received. Sorry for the inconvenience!

On 1/11/2024 at 1:10 PM, mikejeep said:

A server update impacted SignalCheck diagnostic reports that were sent from 12/30/23 until a few minutes ago. If you sent something of value, please re-send it when you can -- it was never received. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Thanks for the heads up.

Robert

• Like 1