HTC One preview thread (was "Any M7 takers?")

Feech

Sprint knows that in some urban places with less site density and EVDO spectrum deficiency, they need to deploy LTE on more than G Block by the end of 2013, or some urban LTE sites are going to start have performance reducing. In many markets, they can add another PCS LTE carrier.

However, some, like Chicago, they cannot in the short term. In the next 18 months, they can add another PCS LTE carrier in Chicago after they can use the USCC spectrum they purchased. But until then, places like Chicago, Houston and others will need LTE 800 and possibly LTE 2600 to offload onto. And Sprint needs to start selling those devices soon, otherwise no devices will be capable of offloading on the new bands when they go live.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

It is clear that Sprint plans to add LTE capacity for the near future on the 800 MHz and 2500 MHz spectrum bands. I don't see Sprint adding another 1900 MHz carrier in the A-F blocks in the near future since there are still plenty of markets that have 20 MHz and lower that do not have enough spectrum to add another 5x5 carrier.

I think that you might be surprised. As data traffic increasingly shifts from EV-DO to LTE over the next year, Sprint will have some underutilized EV-DO 1900 carriers that it can refarm. Not to mention, the CDMA1X 800 carrier may allow Sprint to refarm the spectrum from at least one, maybe two CDMA1X 1900 carriers.

So, in many PCS A-F block 30 MHz markets, it should be no stretch to carve out spectrum to deploy a second 5 MHz FDD LTE 1900 carrier. Heck, a lot of sites in my 30 MHz market have enough fallow bandwidth for a second 5 MHz FDD carrier right now.

Agreed, the above probably does not apply to PCS A-F block 20 MHz markets. But Sprint does not have to make every market equal in order to be successful. Some markets will always be better than others (and, thankfully, my market is one of the best).

AJ

...and just as I submit my post, I see that Robert has already stolen my thunder in the previous post.

;)

AJ

• Like 3

99.999% customers do not think like that. They think about here and now only... If the device is different enough it can work fine though. If the 800 was ready now it wouldn't be an issue, but there is zero chance they hold out for a year and skip out on an S800 device this year....

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

this is true. ive seen people buy a phone even though they were told the new one will be out soon. They just oh ill get the new at the 199.99 price. That to was explained how its every two years(some of you more often with family accounts). After a month or so after the new phone comes out they go back and give a long face that they should have waited. However there are some people that do wait.

Are you referring to the One as a rebranded DNA? A quick comparison of the specs may be similar, but after that, this is a different phone altogether.

sorry I should have been a little more clear. If you follow who quoted who, I was referring to the next EVO. I forgot which one of us said but they said possibly a 5inch EVO. So I was thinking just a rebranded DNA as the next EVO with an add sd and kick stand, and MAYBE this ultrapixel camera.

• Like 1

I'm excited about this HTC one because the speakers are facing forward, and there's two not just the one. I've been saying they should do front facing stereo speakers since the touch pro 2. That phone looked like it had it but only the earphone and microphone, the speaker was in the back.

The FCC authorization documents for the AT&T and T-Mobile versions of the HTC One have been posted. Both are using a dual antenna 0, antenna 1 system -- much like that of the recent generations of the iPhone.

BDpsbLPCYAA75l1.png

AJ

Did I read somewhere that SVDO was no longer required with the new Sprint phones? What are the odds of the One having this functionality?

Nothing is known for sure yet. We have to wait for the FCC authorization docs for the Sprint variant of the HTC One to be uploaded to the database. But many of us think that SVDO is probably done, was just a temporary measure.

AJ

...and just as I submit my post, I see that Robert has already stolen my thunder in the previous post.

;)

AJ

You know there are numerous programs that teach you how to type faster.

:lol:

You know there are numerous programs that teach you how to type faster.

:lol:

Is there a voodoo doll program that I can use to paralyze Robert while he is typing away on the same topic?

AJ

• Like 1

Why would they not include svdo? What do you mean temporary measure?

SVDO requires separate RF paths for CDMA1X and EV-DO. That is increasingly difficult to do as handsets incorporate world roaming capability, additional LTE bands, etc.

AJ

Is there a voodoo doll program that I can use to paralyze Robert while he is typing away on the same topic?

AJ

Check the internets. You can find anything on the internets.

Nothing is known for sure yet. We have to wait for the FCC authorization docs for the Sprint variant of the HTC One to be uploaded to the database. But many of us think that SVDO is probably done, was just a temporary measure.

AJ

Hey AJ I what are the chances that the Sprint version of the HTC One will have world phone capabilities?

SVDO requires separate RF paths for CDMA1X and EV-DO. That is increasingly difficult to do as handsets incorporate world roaming capability, additional LTE bands, etc.

AJ

I see. I was excited to see that the EVO LTE has it.

Hey AJ I what are the chances that the Sprint version of the HTC One will have world phone capabilities?

From the specs that I have seen, I would say the chances are good that the Sprint variant HTC One will support at least GSM 850/900/1800/1900 and W-CDMA 2100+1900 for international roaming.

AJ

• Like 1

The AT&T and T-Mobile variants of the HTC One are up on the FCC OET. Their supported LTE bands correspond exactly with the bands quoted below on the HTC web site:

HSPA/WCDMA:

• Europe/Asia: 850/900/1900/2100 MHz

GSM/GPRS/EDGE:

• 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

LTE:

• EU: 800/1800/2600 MHz
  • US (AT&T): 700/850/AWS/1900 MHz
  • US (TMO): 700/AWS MHz
  • US (Sprint): 1900 MHz
  • Asia: 1800/2600 Mhz

So, I will project now that the Sprint variant will be limited to band 25 LTE 1900. In other words, it will not likely include band 26 LTE 800 nor band 41 TD-LTE 2600, though we will have to wait for the FCC OET authorization documents for actual confirmation.

AJ

The AT&T and T-Mobile variants of the HTC One are up on the FCC OET. Their supported LTE bands correspond exactly with the bands quoted below on the HTC web site:

So, I will project now that the Sprint variant will be limited to band 25 LTE 1900. In other words, it will not likely include band 26 LTE 800 nor band 41 TD-LTE 2600, though we will have to wait for the FCC OET authorization documents for actual confirmation.

AJ

Its sad to see sprint still opting to sell phones with only 1900 MHz LTE support. If the sgs4 released later on this year contains 800 and/or 2500 MHz LTE support as well, I'm afraid the HTC one won't sell well on sprint. I highly doubt the HTC website would be incorrect.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

Well seeing as how they don't expect thus out till 2nd half makes sense why there isn't one supporting all bands quite yet.... Least without adding a ton of extra hardware to support the bands.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

From the specs that I have seen, I would say the chances are good that the Sprint variant HTC One will support at least GSM 850/900/1800/1900 and W-CDMA 2100+1900 for international roaming.

Sprint in its press release refers to it as an "international smartphone"; usually they don't do that unless it's GSM/UMTS-capable.

Its sad to see sprint still opting to sell phones with only 1900 MHz LTE support. If the sgs4 released later on this year contains 800 and/or 2500 MHz LTE support as well, I'm afraid the HTC one won't sell well on sprint. I highly doubt the HTC website would be incorrect.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

Remember most people don't know about network vision or what it entails when it comes to selling, they just want to see 4G on the top with faster speeds.

• Like 1