HTC One preview thread (was "Any M7 takers?")

Feech

Then, put your phone in the microwave. That will wirelessly give it a "charge," too.

Folks, I will be perfectly blunt. The industry has standardized around Micro USB, so there is no more fumbling to find the right charger -- any one will do. If you cannot be bothered to take the five seconds to plug in a Micro USB charger, you are flat out lazy.

AJ

I actually want to get a dock to charge my phone. It's just an easier way to store it, but wireless charging just looks cool, lol.

I would like to see a slightly smaller version of this phone. For gaming and watching videos the 4.7 screen is really nice, but for practical usage, like texting on the go, and flipping through emails with one hand these size phones are just a bit too big for me.

I want to see a highly spec'd phone that is that size of my old EVO 4G, but about 1/3 thinner, and lighter. The T-mobile One S has the best feel in the hand of any phone I've held since I had my Nexus One, but the specs fell short (no NFC)...and it was on the wrong carrier.

I put a note2 up to my ear like i was making a call and my daughter asked if it was an ipad mini

I may be in the minority, but i'm there with mofus in that bigger ain't always better in tech.

Can you detail your disappointment? I don't see much critical of the EVO LTE other than network doesn't exist.

The radio is weak. Does not hold LTE signal long enough. My girl has a Note II she got about 2 weeks ago. Originally, I thought that the Note picked up signal better, but I have back tracked off of that thought because there are times when I have LTE and she doesn't. Without a doubt though the Note will hold the signal longer than the EVO. a noticeable amout of time too.

Also the EVO will not let go of a 1X signal either. This was just to answer your question but this has been discussed on this forum numerous times.

...but wireless charging just looks cool, lol.

Actually, it is quite "warm" because of all of the energy that it wastes as heat.

;)

AJ

That actually is indeed very strange. I haven't been this excited about an HTC device since the OG Evo was announced. Now here's to hoping for LTE 800 in the FCC filing :fingers:

I have been checking the FCC OET periodically since this morning, but nothing yet. Apple tends to upload an authorization filing the day of any announcement, but products also tend to go on sale right away. So, I would expect HTC's filing(s) within a few days to a few weeks. I will try to stay on top of it and keep everyone apprised.

AJ

• Like 2

Highly unlikely. PhoneScoop is reporting that HTC has learned from its mistakes last year, allowing the One series to become so fragmented, and that hurt overall sales compared to Samsung and the singular Galaxy S3.

So, sorry, guys, I know that some of you were oddly attached to the EVO name, but it is going, going, gone.

AJ

Who actually owns the EVO name? If its Sprint then I can see them approaching another manufacturer about picking it up. If it is owned by HTC then I agree that its dead as far as top tier phones are concerned.

Who actually owns the EVO name? If its Sprint then I can see them approaching another manufacturer about picking it up. If it is owned by HTC then I agree that its dead as far as top tier phones are concerned.

HTC controls it, as HTC has released EVO branded handsets for other carriers.

Honestly, I really do not understand the fascination with the EVO brand. What makes it so special? Is it just sentimentality?

AJ

HTC controls it, as HTC has released EVO branded handsets for other carriers.

Honestly, I really do not understand the fascination with the EVO brand. What makes it so special? Is it just sentimentality?

AJ

I'm sure sentimentality has something to do with it. I think as a practical matter having a "brand exclusive" was as good for Sprint as the Droid branding was for Verizon. I am fine with the EVO going away as long as HTC does not do a One series exclusive for Verizon.

Evo was the first 4G phone and is somewhat Iconic in that respect. The OG Evo was the reason I left Blackberry. It wasn't perfect but the mention was enough to perk up ears. I compared it the iPhone of the day and it wasn't even close. it had a kickstand!

Pretty sure the only other carrier to get an Evo branded product is VM which is piggybacked with Sprint, no?

I do agree that they (Sprint) fractured the brand with lousy followups...the 3D (nice but less than stellar as the OG's successor)...the View? the Design? the Shift?

The design of the 4GLTE was disappointing with the shiny plastic parts and less than desirable bugs (that still seem to be solved), while the OneX was a beauty.

Really - at this point - who cares what they call it as long as it works...out of the box preferably.

I'm sure sentimentality has something to do with it. I thin as a practical matter having a "brand exclusive" was as good for Sprint as the Droid branding was for Verizon. I am fine with the EVO going away as long as HTC does not do a One series exclusive for Verizon.

VZW itself controls the DROID brand (under license from Lucasfilm). That is the difference. Let us hope that Lucasfilm is charging VZW a mint for that right.

And, like it or not, do expect an eventual HTC One variant for VZW following the DROID line. In the end, in the current handset market, VZW is but Sprint probably is not a large enough carrier to command its own exclusive branding any longer.

AJ

VZW itself controls the DROID brand (under license from Lucasfilm). That is the difference. Let us hope that Lucasfilm is charging VZW a mint for that right.

And, like it or not, do expect an eventual HTC One variant for VZW following the DROID line. In the end, in the current handset market, VZW is but Sprint probably is not a large enough carrier to command its own exclusive branding any longer.

AJ

Your logic is sound. I'm still going to be mad though :P

Evo was the first 4G phone and is somewhat Iconic in that respect. The OG Evo was the reason I left Blackberry. It wasn't perfect but the mention was enough to perk up ears. I compared it the iPhone of the day and it wasn't even close. it had a kickstand!

Pretty sure the only other carrier to get an Evo branded product is VM which is piggybacked with Sprint, no?

I do agree that they (Sprint) fractured the brand with lousy followups...the 3D (nice but less than stellar as the OG's successor)...the View? the Design? the Shift?

The design of the 4GLTE was disappointing with the shiny plastic parts and less than desirable bugs (that still seem to be solved), while the OneX was a beauty.

Really - at this point - who cares what they call it as long as it works...out of the box preferably.

In the U.S. market sprint was the only provider using the EVO name but there were several carriers overseas that also had the same evo branded devices.

AJ

For some reason I'm not fully convinced that the Evo brand is dead tho. Perhaps Sprint will look to get another high end HTC device this summer with the Snapdragon 800 SoC and LTE 800? This definitely seems like its against what HTC wants to do but Sprint is known for having some of the best if not THE best HTC devices out there and seem to have a very special partnership with HTC ever since the HTC Mogul days. Maybe Sprint can sweet talk them into a single device as an exclusive?

I have been checking the FCC OET periodically since this morning, but nothing yet. Apple tends to upload an authorization filing the day of any announcement, but products also tend to go on sale right away. So, I would expect HTC's filing(s) within a few days to a few weeks. I will try to stay on top of it and keep everyone apprised.

AJ

Awesome, I'll keep an eye out for your post if anything shows up.

I will not be checking this one out. HTC got me good with the EVO LTE piece of junk. Not falling into that trap again. Working on getting rid of the lemon (EVO LTE) on my third line... just waiting on the roaming letter to back it up. ;) I love it when that dept calls me as I usually end up with something good due to our area.

EDIT: Just checked my EVO LTE line's usage... 9,000kb Sprint 3G / 30,086kb Roaming / 277kb 4G since the 13th. They work less than 1 mile from an active 4G site, I can snag that site at 3-4 miles easily with my Note2. They used 200meg roaming and 130meg non-roaming last month. I used to never see that usage with the Epic 4G she had and this user's usage and/or living/work habits have not changed. Not a heavy phone and/or data user by any means. All due to the EVO LTE and its very poor RF performance, worse than the Epic4G and that's pretty bad.

For some reason I'm not fully convinced that the Evo brand is dead tho. Perhaps Sprint will look to get another high end HTC device this summer with the Snapdragon 800 SoC and LTE 800? This definitely seems like its against what HTC wants to do but Sprint is known for having some of the best if not THE best HTC devices out there and seem to have a very special partnership with HTC ever since the HTC Mogul days. Maybe Sprint can sweet talk them into a single device as an exclusive?

I only see this happening if the One sales are less than stellar(which may indicate some other issues). Otherwise, having another top tier HTC device will just cannibalize sales from the other.

I was at the event today, perk of working at Sprint, and got a lot of hands on time with the phone. I have to say, I was impressed, greatly. The phone itself is a solid piece of electronics, and the screen is beautiful. The sound quality out of the stereo speakers is amazing, especially in a room environment.

Here are some pictures:

http://i.imgur.com/Zu1Jjcp.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ylIwrRs.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GQPqf7t.jpg

• Like 2

I was at the event today, perk of working at Sprint, and got a lot of hands on time with the phone. I have to say, I was impressed, greatly. The phone itself is a solid piece of electronics, and the screen is beautiful. The sound quality out of the stereo speakers is amazing, especially in a room environment.

Here are some pictures:

http://i.imgur.com/Zu1Jjcp.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ylIwrRs.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GQPqf7t.jpg

No menu key again I see.... smh

http://www.androidce...dio-frequencies

LTE

AT&T: 700/850/AWS/1900 MHz

T-Mobile: 700/AWS MHz

Sprint: 1900 MHz

I was really hoping the new line of phones would support Sprint's 800 for LTE :(

I'm confused, will each carrier get a specific model or will there be different models for each carrier. Overseas, there are companies using 2600Mhz LTE, so i'd think that if those are being supported with other carriers, it would also work here.

Another point, LTE 700 on T-Mobile and 1900 on AT&T?

I'm confused, will each carrier get a specific model or will there be different models for each carrier. Overseas, there are companies using 2600Mhz LTE, so i'd think that if those are being supported with other carriers, it would also work here.

Another point, LTE 700 on T-Mobile and 1900 on AT&T?

That's most likely a typo. The T-Mobile LTE is 1700 so they missed the 1

1700 is AWS. What I mean is that they meant to type 1700 but accidentally forgot the 1 and typed 700

My point is, it's a given that AWS includes 1700Mhz along with 2100Mhz. Wouldn't it be a tad bit redundant that it would say 1700 and AWS?