HTC One preview thread (was "Any M7 takers?")

Feech

I will not be checking this one out. HTC got me good with the EVO LTE piece of junk. Not falling into that trap again. Working on getting rid of the lemon (EVO LTE) on my third line... just waiting on the roaming letter to back it up. ;) I love it when that dept calls me as I usually end up with something good due to our area.

This is what some in another forum that I frequent would call an "I am not buying this watermelon!" kind of post. It is the equivalent of walking into a supermarket, holding a watermelon up over your head, and declaring for all to hear that you are not going to buy it.

So, please, let us keep rejection based on the real or perceived shortcomings of the EVO LTE out of this thread. Otherwise, I will have to rebut that I am not buying the Samsung Galaxy S4 because of the cheap, creaky plastic and garish AMOLED PenTile screen of the Galaxy S3. But that is another "I am not buying this watermelon!" post, and those serve no productive purpose.

Agreed?

AJ

• Like 3

That's most likely a typo. The T-Mobile LTE is 1700 so they missed the 1

They mentioned AWS though.

1700 is AWS. What I mean is that they meant to type 1700 but accidentally forgot the 1 and typed 700

My point is, it's a given that AWS includes 1700Mhz along with 2100Mhz. Wouldn't it be a tad bit redundant that it would say 1700 and AWS?

Listing AWS capability has been a problem from the get go because AWS duplex is fully 400 MHz. Some list AWS as "1700 MHz," but I think that is lacking, as other bands (e.g. DCS, Korean PCS) also utilize 1700 MHz, not to mention, 1700 MHz represents only the AWS uplink.

I think that I have the best solution, and I have been consistent with this notation for many years.

AWS 2100+1700 MHz

AJ

• Like 1

No menu key again I see.... smh

Hidden menus are a bad user experience. But I understand, it's much harder to reach to the top of the screen where the Action Overflow buttons go, than to mash it with the side of your thumb :P

This is what some in another forum that I frequent would call an "I am not buying this watermelon!" kind of post. It is the equivalent of walking into a supermarket, holding a watermelon up over your head, and declaring for all to hear that you are not going to buy it.

So, please, let us keep rejection based on the real or perceived shortcomings of the EVO LTE out of this thread. Otherwise, I will have to rebut that I am not buying the Samsung Galaxy S4 because of the cheap, creaky plastic and garish AMOLED PenTile screen of the Galaxy S3. But that is another "I am not buying this watermelon!" post, and those serve no productive purpose.

Agreed?

AJ

No agreement here as I give it straight up about any subject. Just the way I am, straight to the point. I don't have any loyalty with any company. The post serves a perfect purpose. Be very careful if your purchase this phone and test the hell out of it in the first 14 days in just about every area you can think of.

Sent from my little Note2

No agreement here as I give it straight up about any subject. Just the way I am, straight to the point. I don't have any loyalty with any company. The post serves a perfect purpose. Be very careful if your purchase this phone and test the hell out of it in the first 14 days in just about every area you can think of.

That would be sound advice for any phone, regardless of ones personal experience.
  • Like 1

No agreement here as I give it straight up about any subject.

Alright, caveat emptor. But you do realize then that I will have to do my duty when the Galaxy S4 is announced and warn people against Samsung's creaky, seam filled plastic and gaudy AMOLED screen. At least, the PenTile subpixel matrix will be gone this year, maybe.

Do you see how non productive that is?

AJ

• Like 1

Sounds good. I won't hold a watermelon over my head in the store but I have and will continue to talk to many people in the produce section telling them the grapes were sour tasting.

Sounds good. I won't hold a watermelon over my head in the store but I have and will continue to talk to many people in the produce section telling them the grapes were sour tasting.

I think that you are missing my point. Rather than cast spite on watermelons, grapes, or HTC handsets based on last year's crop, why not wait to be better informed about this year's crop?

;)

AJ

• Like 1

Even though I am not quite sold on the One, the look of it is starting to grow on me just a little bit. Anyway, it amazes me how everyone seems to want to hate on htc for whatever reason. Everyone should know that your miles will vary depending on a number of factors and issues will differ from user to user, thats the case with any phone you own. If it was anyone that ever neglected a product and/or release mediocre hardware, it was samsung but no one is talking about that at all. why? Because they finally got it right(for the most part) with the gs3/note2? I guess its ok for samsung to get a free pass. Anyway, I hope htc can finally turn things around this year, it would be a shame to see them continue to fail as much as they have for the last year or so.

• Like 1

No company gets free passes here. Bashed Samsung plenty of times for the Epic.. Even in my first post.

Duly noted that I need to be careful with the HTC folks like I have to do with the Apple users.

No company gets free passes here. Bashed Samsung plenty of times for the Epic.. Even in my first post.

Duly noted that I need to be careful with the HTC folks like I have to do with the Apple users.

You clearly have issues with HTC over your perceived problems with the EVOLTE. That's your right. I don't have anywhere near the issues that you and other people have reported. User experience will vary and I don't think its right to bash any company. If you don't like them them move along. Nothing to see here.
  • Like 1

I have to say that it looks nice, but I'm not yet sold on "live tiles" interfaces. Plus I'd want to see the LTE performance... there's a reason you make Faraday cages out of metal and not plastic, after all, and the LTE Evo has been rather middling.

And I do think inductive charging with the Qi standard is the wave of the future, even if it's somewhat inefficient. You're looking at several thousand times over the life of the phone that you're connecting or disconnecting the micro-USB cable, and while the design is supposed to stress the cable (not the connector, which was the reason why mini-USB went away) there's still the chance of accidentally busting off the micro-USB receptacle in the phone, or needing a new cable pronto, at jacked up electronics store prices rather than being able to wait a day or two to get one from an online vendor.

Now if I were still limping along on my OG Evo, I'd be there in a heartbeat, but since I don't get my upgrade until January 1 I'm in no hurry.

Oh, and goodbye EVO name. Some here will probably wail and gnash, then hold a funeral for you.

;)

AJ

Ehh Sprint exec at CES said don't count out there being another EVO on sprint.... Not counting it out just yet... HTC will fragment the device again this is for sure as they will at the very least have a new one come mid year with the S800 running in it.....maybe 5in evo? Hehe

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

The phone itself is a solid piece of electronics, and the screen is beautiful. The sound quality out of the stereo speakers is amazing, especially in a room environment.

Screen - same painted on (zero gap) look as the One X & Evo LTE?

Speakers - loud enough to hear while showering or doing the dishes?

So are we all getting together to eat watermelon?

Watermelon or crow? That remains to be seen...

;)

AJ

Ehh Sprint exec at CES said don't count out there being another EVO on sprint.... Not counting it out just yet... HTC will fragment the device again this is for sure as they will at the very least have a new one come mid year with the S800 running in it.....maybe 5in evo? Hehe

That would be a disaster. As if both HTC and Sprint have not yet read the writing on the wall, a one year refresh period has become the standard. Like it or not, Apple has dictated that cycle, and Samsung has capitulated. That is just the way it is. If HTC and/or Sprint dare to expedite the process, watch out for the death of HTC and/or Sprint.

AJ

That would be a disaster. As if both HTC and Sprint have not yet read the writing on the wall, a one year refresh period has become the standard. Like it or not, Apple has dictated that cycle, and Samsung has capitulated. That is just the way it is. If HTC and/or Sprint dare to expedite the process, watch out for the death of HTC and/or Sprint.

AJ

Unless it was something that did not cannibalize sales. Maybe phablet? Or maybe a 4 inch screen with the same processor and memory specs?

I've personally have only had HTC phones since the first HTC touch with windows 6.0. I have only had good experiences with them. Usually when someone has a bad experience with any high end phone is usually user error, not to be confused with not liking the build quality.

• Like 1

AJ

Not entirely.... Sammy has the Note as well so I'm thinking HTC will at least have the S800 in device this year, given Qualcomms Raj comments of it being in consumer devices by mid year... Can't expect HTC to sit that puppy out.....

At very least they either have a refresh/EVO/ or phablet device out then with that puppy in it...

Only apple sticks to 1 device. Sammy still releases a handful per year, mini, note, sgs, ...

Not entirely.... Sammy has the Note as well so I'm thinking HTC will at least have the S800 in device this year, given Qualcomms Raj comments of it being in consumer devices by mid year... Can't expect HTC to sit that puppy out.....

At very least they either have a refresh/EVO/ or phablet device out then with that puppy in it...

Only apple sticks to 1 device. Sammy still releases a handful per year, mini, note, sgs, ...

Now that is an interesting idea. Refreshing the current EVO.

Unless it was something that did not cannibalize sales. Maybe phablet? Or maybe a 4 inch screen with the same processor and memory specs?

That needs to be established in advance. Any move to a small/large system would "cannibalize sales" and alienate customers.

Samsung and, potentially, Apple could survive that shift. HTC could not.

AJ

Now that is an interesting idea. Refreshing the current EVO.

Yeah just the fact that the S800 will be in device by mid year is enough to know HTC is not done... No way they sit back all year and not use that SoC while others do...doing that and not including it would be suicide...

Bet is on a 5in EVO possibly...