HTC One preview thread (was "Any M7 takers?")

Feech

Bet is on a 5in EVO possibly...

So, if I am a potential customer, why buy now? I should wait on the prospect of newer, larger handset coming out just a few months later.

Unless that message is telegraphed in advance, that is a bad business model. In this market, surely you can see why...

AJ

So, if I am a potential customer, why buy now? I should wait on the prospect of newer, larger handset coming out just a few months later.

Unless that message is telegraphed in advance, that is a bad business model. In this market, surely you can see why...

AJ

99.999% customers do not think like that. They think about here and now only... If the device is different enough it can work fine though. If the 800 was ready now it wouldn't be an issue, but there is zero chance they hold out for a year and skip out on an S800 device this year....

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-one-us-radio-frequencies

LTE

AT&T: 700/850/AWS/1900 MHz

T-Mobile: 700/AWS MHz

Sprint: 1900 MHz

I was really hoping the new line of phones would support Sprint's 800 for LTE :(

I feel the same way. The htc one looks like a pretty good phone but only having 1900 mhz LTE support is an instant deal breaker for me. Why on earth would sprint dare to put out LTE devices in 2013 with only single band support. Sprint can easily add 800 and 2500 mhz LTE support without needing to have an existing network out there. Even the att version has support for 4 LTE bands even though they havent deployed LTE in the 850/1700/1900 mhz bands. Does sprint seriously think they have enough capacity on the 'G' block to support future LTE growth. I just hope the article is plain wrong and i really hope the SGS4 does not repeat the same mistake.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

I feel the same way. The htc one looks like a pretty good phone but only having 1900 mhz LTE support is an instant deal breaker for me. Why on earth would sprint dare to put out LTE devices in 2013 with only single band support. Sprint can easily add 800 and 2500 mhz LTE support without needing to have an existing network out there. Even the att version has support for 4 LTE bands even though they havent deployed LTE in the 850/1700/1900 mhz bands. Does sprint seriously think they have enough capacity on the 'G' block to support future LTE growth. I just hope the article is plain wrong and i really hope the SGS4 does not repeat the same mistake.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Anything quoting band support I'd take with a giant grain of salt....unless its from FCC or sprint themselves...

99.999% customers do not think like that. They think about here and now only...

You grossly overestimate the percentage. If Apple were to shift to a small/large refresh model, a huge percentage of customers would feel betrayed. Now, that could still happen. If so, it needs to happen this year. Samsung has become the trendsetter, has set the standard. And Apple could withstand the resentment. I am not convinced that a wounded HTC could do likewise.

AJ

You grossly overestimate the percentage. If Apple were to shift to a small/large refresh model, a huge percentage of customers would feel betrayed. Now, that could still happen. If so, it needs to happen this year. Samsung has become the trendsetter, has set the standard. And Apple could withstand the resentment. I am not convinced that a wounded HTC could do likewise.

AJ

If Samsung is trendsetter then HTC would follow the flagship and phablet release each year at least... That's 2 devices there... Not counting the other ones sammy released last yr...

HTC could easily do the regular and phablet device approach and not hurt themselves... Not everyone wants a 5-5.5in device also...

HTC could easily do the regular and phablet device approach and not hurt themselves... Not everyone wants a 5-5.5in device also...

If you firmly believe that, then HTC better release the "large member" handset first. But that is not what the HTC One details indicate.

Do you see what I mean?

AJ

If you firmly believe that, then HTC better release the "large member" handset first. But that is not what the HTC One details indicate.

Do you see what I mean?

AJ

Yeah I see what you mean... they should be announced together to be right...

But you have to agree, there is zero chance that HTC sits back with this device all year with the S800 SoC supposed to be out in customers hands by mid yr...

I will leave it at this...

As much as I despise what Apple has done to this industry, if the post iPhone world is the reality, then we need a fairly predictable standard: regular Android handsets in the spring or early summer and "phablets" in the fall.

Anything else could tear Android apart.

AJ

I will leave it at this...

As much as I despise what Apple has done to this industry, if the post iPhone world is the reality, then we need a fairly predictable standard: regular Android handsets in the spring or early summer and "phablets" in the fall.

Anything else could tear Android apart.

AJ

I can agree to that...

Also Tbh the way Google is going and android is progressing .. Google can very take a large chunk out of Samsung and other OEMs if they get their game together with the nexus line here which the new one is supposed to shock us all... Its going to be harder to differentiate b/w others going forward...

HTCs death will be marketing as most all have mentioned at some point... Tough to compete with sammy there.

I can't say I've ever been disappointed by the Evo LTE. Certainly, it was a huge improvement from my Epic 4G, even as far as RF was concerned. It may not do as well as the S3, but that doesn't make it bad in my opinion.

If something changes and this phone ends up with 800/2500 support then I'll be like "Take my money! Take my money!". Otherwise, I'll wait it out with the Evo LTE.

• Like 3

I can't say I've ever been disappointed by the Evo LTE. Certainly, it was a huge improvement from my Epic 4G, even as far as RF was concerned. It may not do as well as the S3, but that doesn't make it bad in my opinion.

If something changes and this phone ends up with 800/2500 support then I'll be like "Take my money! Take my money!". Otherwise, I'll wait it out with the Evo LTE.

My wife has the S3 and I have the Evo LTE. She might get a little better signal, but it's not by much. My OG Evo was better than both of the new phones.

I do love move Evo LTE and every time I pick up my wife's S3 I can't for the life of me figure out why people like Samsung phones. In my opinion Sense is a lot better than Touchwiz. It really surprises me more people don't like HTC.

Slap some 800/2500 on the new phone and I'm with you, time to trade up.

• Like 4

AJ

so basically a rebranded DNA with a microSD and a kick stand.

the draw back if they did add the 800/2500 is it won't be utilized until sometime in 2014(correct me if I'm wrong), by then the new flagships will be coming out by then.

I've personally have only had HTC phones since the first HTC touch with windows 6.0. I have only had good experiences with them. Usually when someone has a bad experience with any high end phone is usually user error, not to be confused with not liking the build quality.

Ahh the dreaded ID-10-T error.

the draw back if they did add the 800/2500 is it won't be utilized until sometime in 2014(correct me if I'm wrong), by then the new flagships will be coming out by then.

Wouldn't say that's a problem. Since most people will carry a two year contract with this phone they won't have to wait until the end of their contract to get a phone that can use these frequencies.

Screen - same painted on (zero gap) look as the One X & Evo LTE?

Speakers - loud enough to hear while showering or doing the dishes?

I would say the screen is more in line with the DNA, but yep, when looking at it edge on, it appears gapless.

Speakers are loud and clear, and I would wager yes to dish washing, but avoid bringing the device into a shower lol.

• Like 2

I don't think that is true at all. Clearwire is suppose to have at least 2000 sites by mid year 2013 and 5000 sites completed by end of 2013. Also Sprint is deploying 800 MHz LTE starting 4th quarter 2013 so there will definitely be some users able to take advantage of the 800 and 2500 LTE bands in 2013.

IMO there is no excuse to not include the 800 and 2500 LTE bands in the 2013 flagship phones. By having only the 1900 MHz LTE band, it is going to put more stress on the single 5x5 G block carrier for the next 2-3 years which alone cannot sustain the growing LTE adoption going forward especially in 2013 when the POed 2011 Wimax customers contracts are up and are looking to renew with LTE phones.

It is clear that Sprint plans to add LTE capacity for the near future on the 800 MHz and 2500 MHz spectrum bands. I don't see Sprint adding another 1900 MHz carrier in the A-F blocks in the near future since there are still plenty of markets that have 20 MHz and lower that do not have enough spectrum to add another 5x5 carrier. I suspect that the next 5x5 1900 Mhz carrier being deployed will have to be the 5x5 H block which Sprint will need to aggressively bid for this year and try to get nationwide licenses to add more PCS spectrum depth. However even if this were to occur, the H block would require its own band class which would be an extension of BC 25 and the 2012 and possibly 1H 2013 LTE phones won't support that H block BC. IMO the 2013 LTE phones MUST include 800 and 2500 Mhz LTE support. It just gives Sprint more flexibility on how to stretch out its resources if the handsets are able to accommodate more LTE bands. Sprint was able to place 800 MHz CDMA support since early 2011 phones (EVO 3D, SGS2) which was 2 years before 800 MHz CDMA support is even available so that is no excuse.

so basically a rebranded DNA with a microSD and a kick stand.

Are you referring to the One as a rebranded DNA? A quick comparison of the specs may be similar, but after that, this is a different phone altogether.

According to this article, all Sprint phones released this year were supposed to support the additional LTE frequencies. I wonder why that didn't happen in the One's case.

Hold up, who says that the HTC One will be limited to band 25 LTE? The number of supported bands has not been divulged yet.

AJ

• Like 3

That's true.

Something else that's interesting, it shows the Sprint model will support 700MHz/AWS. I dunno what their source is. http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-one-us-radio-frequencies

But all of these questions will be answered once it passes thru the FCC. I'm sure Sprint has already started testing their model... right?

That needs to be established in advance. Any move to a small/large system would "cannibalize sales" and alienate customers.

Samsung and, potentially, Apple could survive that shift. HTC could not.

AJ

I agree that HTC should make their plans known. But I also think it would be foolish to not have another major release this year and when THAT happens it makes sense not to compete with yourself. Another to[p of the line 4.7-5 inch phone is competing with yourself.

Something else that's interesting, it shows the Sprint model will support 700MHz/AWS. I dunno what their source is. http://www.androidce...dio-frequencies

Those specs are suspect. No carrier has deployed W-CDMA in 700 MHz spectrum, not Lower 700 MHz nor Upper 700 MHz. W-CDMA 700 (or 750) is pointless.

AJ