HTC One preview thread (was "Any M7 takers?")

Feech

Just FYI, I asked Brian Klug at AnandTech about engineering screens on the HTC One. He said that, going forward, HTC will not include engineering screens in its final build ROMs because at least one carrier complained. Now, the Sprint variant HTC One could be an exception to this rule -- the EVO LTE certainly was in relation to the One X. But unless that is the case and the Sprint variant does include engineering screens, it will not be a great wireless network monitoring handset.

AJ

Did the One X not have an engineering screen?

Did the One X not have an engineering screen?

I have never used the HTC One X, but my understanding is that the AT&T and international variants do not.

AJ

Sprint is offering the HTC One for $99 if you bring your number.

"For a limited time, save $100 on this phone when you bring your number to Sprint on a new line of service."

http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/phone_details.jsp?ensembleId=AP801CWH&flow=AAL&isDeeplinked=true&INTCID=AB:UEC:HERO:040513:HTCOnePre:960x320

As a reminder, no changes to your account 6 months.....

Meaning what?

Never gone through Wirefly before. How long is the shipping? I've always used Amazon before so I'm still waiting on them to offer a pre-order.

Meaning what?

When you purchase through Wirefly, which is a third party reseller, you sign a secondary contract. If you make changes to the plan that Wirefly sets up for you, then you violate that secondary contract and are on the hook for an ETF to Wirefly.

AJ

When you purchase through Wirefly, which is a third party reseller, you sign a secondary contract. If you make changes to the plan that Wirefly sets up for you, then you violate that secondary contract and are on the hook for an ETF to Wirefly.

AJ

It's $130 at Newegg, but the store layout is very similar to WireFly. Would this be a similar deal with a secondary contract?

Didn't even know Newegg did cell phones until now.

It's $130 at Newegg, but the store layout is very similar to WireFly. Would this be a similar deal with a secondary contract?

Didn't even know Newegg did cell phones until now.

Newegg's terms of purchase:

http://wireless.newegg.com/autocontent.aspx?pageid=4288&referringdomain=newegg&oflag=specialoffer&refcode1=EGG_9999_001_LNav_SPRDeals&cid=35159_729cc2372dfa4f7aba7656bd322d9a41&zipcode=66801&viewmode=1

But basically to summarize:

Delivering on this promise means that you must agree to maintain your agreement for a minimum of 181 days after activation. If we are notified by the carrier that they are not going to pay us because your phone has been deactivated during this period, then this may lead to additional charges.

To provide you with significant savings vs. buying in a retail store, the price you paid for your device includes an Instant Savings Discount from this online retailer.

By accepting this Instant Savings Discount, you agree to repay $200 of this discount ($400 for smartphones, tablets, and netbooks) and authorize us to charge your credit card in repayment of this amount if, you signed up for a 2 year agreement and during the 181 days after your new equipment is activated, your wireless carrier notifies us that the services you purchased have been suspended, disconnected, or deactivated, or if you return your purchase outside of the return and exchange provisions of our 14-day Satisfaction Guarantee.

As I mentioned before, I am looking forward to upgrading to the HTC One.

I tried to do the 'pre-order' online, but both the HTC site and the Sprint site tried to force me to add a new line of service.

This week I am planning on stopping by a local Sprint owned store, and seeing if they will be able to let me 'pre-order' as an upgrade.

Did you read Brian's review on anandtech?

Bro I am not gonna lie, I have never read such a comprehensive review in my life, it was more along the lines of a dissertation than a review. Every other review pails in comparison to what Brian did.

• Like 2

I read in another review that this phone supports EVRC-NW and the T-Mobile variant supports AMR-WB.

Does all that mean HD Voice?

Has Sprint said if this phone supports HD Voice? What other Sprint phones do aside from the Evo?

Does all that mean HD Voice?

Has Sprint said if this phone supports HD Voice? What other Sprint phones do aside from the Evo?

None. Only the evo 4g lte phone supports hd voice. Sprint has been very hush hush about hd voice since last march. My guess is that sprint is waiting until more of the sprint network towers are converted to 1x advanced first. IMO I dont expect sprint to have hd voice ready phones until 2014

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

If Sprint isn't going to be able to get EVRC-NW running next year, I would just wait for VoLTE. Network Vision 2.0 might be a better bet for VoLTE with the increased small cells, Het Nets, and active 2.6 GHz deployment on the table.

In the long run, 38,000 cells probably isn't going to be enough for Sprint. They're going to need the tools of Network Vision 2.0 to get where they really need to go.

This is not a good sign, or Phone Scoop is very lazy/limited in its testing area...

The HTC One can use both Sprint's CDMA 3G and LTE 4G networks. During our time testing it both in New Jersey and San Francisco, we never once encountered Sprint's LTE network. It's simply not available across wide swaths of the country.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=12067&p=all

AJ

Someone needs to tell these guys to go and drive somewhere that's purple in Sensorly to test LTE. Particularly someone in the SF market, where there's plenty of LTE about to be found...

• Like 1