HTC One preview thread (was "Any M7 takers?")

Feech

lol :rolleyes:

I'll be curious to see if I can take a sprint SIM and stick it in an unlocked One and get Sprint LTE, that should be interesting...

I could end up just doing that and using groove or some other VOIP service for voice.

I'll be curious to see if I can take a sprint SIM and stick it in an unlocked One and get Sprint LTE, that should be interesting...

I could end up just doing that and using groove or some other VOIP service for voice.

If you can manage to get a data only plan that would be amazing. Lol

If you do manage to get it, let us know. I've been looking for some phone plan alternatives.

-Luis

If you can manage to get a data only plan that would be amazing. Lol

If you do manage to get it, let us know. I've been looking for some phone plan alternatives.

-Luis

It would be great if it worked.

The HTC One for developers is carrier-unlocked and comes with unlocked bootloader and 64GB of internal storage. It supports quad-band GSM/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz), tri-band 3G with HSPA (850/1900/2100 MHz) and tri-band LTE (700/850/1900 MHz).

I mean, with the 100 dollar rebate, 550 for the 64GB developer edition that's unlocked seems pretty nice.

Looking at the HTC One overview, it doesn't seem like Sprint's version supports WCDMA?

The Sprint variant HTC One was not tested and authorized for any domestic GSM nor W-CDMA -- in other words, no GSM 850/1900, no band 5/2/1 W-CDMA 850/1900/2100+1700. And why should it be? Sprint does not have roaming agreements with domestic GSM/W-CDMA carriers.

But the Sprint variant almost certainly does support international GSM and W-CDMA -- at the very least, GSM 900/1800 and band 1 W-CDMA 2100+1900.

Now, is that really a problem? The Sprint variant is -- wait for it -- intended to be used on the Sprint network. Sprint has no incentive to support capabilities that would allow someone to take the Sprint variant with them to AT&T or T-Mobile. And for that, I can hardly blame Sprint.

AJ

• Like 2

It would be great if it worked.

The HTC One for developers is carrier-unlocked and comes with unlocked bootloader and 64GB of internal storage. It supports quad-band GSM/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz), tri-band 3G with HSPA (850/1900/2100 MHz) and tri-band LTE (700/850/1900 MHz).

I mean, with the 100 dollar rebate, 550 for the 64GB developer edition that's unlocked seems pretty nice.

That 1900LTE could be band 2, which is standard PCS.

The Sprint variant HTC One was not tested and authorized for any domestic GSM nor W-CDMA -- in other words, no GSM 850/1900, no band 5/2/1 W-CDMA 850/1900/2100+1700. And why should it be? Sprint does not have roaming agreements with domestic GSM/W-CDMA carriers.

But the Sprint variant almost certainly does support international GSM and W-CDMA -- at the very least, GSM 900/1800 and band 1 W-CDMA 2100+1900.

Now, is that really a problem? The Sprint variant is -- wait for it -- intended to be used on the Sprint network. Sprint has no incentive to support capabilities that would allow someone to take the Sprint variant with them to AT&T or T-Mobile. And for that, I can hardly blame Sprint.

AJ

They should because the phone supports it - it's no extra work for them to ship the phone unlocked. The incentive, I would think, is to draw customers to your service. It should be unlocked because it A) makes your phone more valuable to others if/when you decide to resell it and B) gives you the choice between carriers without having to buy a new phone.

Look at Verizon - the HTC DROID DNA is unlocked and supports T-Mobile and AT&T on PCS with no trouble.

I think customer choice is always a good thing and unlocking handsets encourages customer choice. I personally enjoy using both Sprint and T-Mobile.

Instead, Sprint ends up having me in seasonal stand-by more often and ends up making less money off me with these anti-competitive practices.

Sprint used to have a much friendlier viewpoint towards unlocked devices... sadly, that's gone away.

I am curious if I can take a HTC One Developer edition that supports LTE on PCS and stick a sprint SIM and get 4G? Ideally, it would be fantastic if they supported CDMA 1x as well.

That 1900LTE could be band 2, which is standard PCS.

It is band 2 LTE 1900, not band 25 LTE 1900. Plus, the Developer Edition uses the MDM9215 baseband, which is 3GPP only. Thus, no CDMA2000.

So, go ahead and try it, irev. You will be SOL.

;)

AJ

It is band 2 LTE 1900, not band 25 LTE 1900. Plus, the Developer Edition uses the MDM9215 baseband, which is 3GPP only. Thus, no CDMA2000.

So, go ahead and try it, irev. You will be SOL.

;)

AJ

Bummer. I don't care about the voice (I know no CDMA support), it would be nice if data worked though.

Sprint used to have a much friendlier viewpoint towards unlocked devices... sadly, that's gone away.

Tuff nutz. If you want that to change, then the entire system needs to change. Carriers need to be forced out of the consumer electronics business so that all devices are sold multi mode, multi band, and unlocked on the open market.

But as the system stands now, Sprint would not draw in many more subs with unlocked domestic GSM/W-CDMA capabilities because most do not know nor care about those things. But it certainly could allow many more subs to leave with their Sprint handsets in tow because Sprint is now supporting removable SIMs.

AJ

Tuff nutz. If you want that to change, then the entire system needs to change. Carriers need to be forced out of the consumer electronics business so that all devices are sold multi mode, multi band, and unlocked on the open market.

But as the system stands now, Sprint would not draw in many more subs with unlocked domestic GSM/W-CDMA capabilities because most do not know nor care about those things. But it certainly could allow many more subs to leave with their Sprint handsets in tow because Sprint is now supporting removable SIMs.

AJ

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it also matters now how many subs sprint has with them, especially to investors. Imagine if they sold the phone unlocked and people bought it, paid ETF and just left. Those numbers would go down, and investors would get wary. It's all about keeping your customers. Verizon may have the DROID DNA unlocked with the bands, but more than likely, they have so many customers that those few that left, or would have the mindset to leave, don't make much, but a small dent in their total sub numbers

Just the way i see it. The phone supports it, I'm pretty sure someone will be able to root it and unlock those bands. It's all about being a little patient.

Now if I'm wrong, please clarify :)

-Luis

P.S. This is just adding on top of what you said, not a rebuttal.

Just the way i see it. The phone supports it, I'm pretty sure someone will be able to root it and unlock those bands. It's all about being a little patient.

And doing so might be a felony, as the Sprint variant is not authorized to operate on those modes in the US.

AJ

AJ

Sort of goes both ways once VoLTE/LTE is fully built out among all four major carriers (assuming your phone supports the band, of course), no? In four years, it sounds like unlocked handsets will be in much greater demand.

it'd be freakin awesome if these idiot carriers all shared the spectrum and technologies and all phones worked on all networks. You'd pick your carrier based on price and service. you can go to any target or Wal-Mart and buy a phone for a landline that plugs in and works (assuming you still have a landline) regardless if your carrier is Telco/cable/voip or whatever right? pipe dreams I know.

• Like 1

it'd be freakin awesome if these idiot carriers all shared the spectrum and technologies and all phones worked on all networks. You'd pick your carrier based on price and service. you can go to any target or Wal-Mart and buy a phone for a landline that plugs in and works (assuming you still have a landline) regardless if your carrier is Telco/cable/voip or whatever right? pipe dreams I know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly

It would be nice but you need competition, if all phones worked on all networks why wouldn't they just jack up all their prices?

Silver is the way to go. Because the One is aluminum, the black anodization is going to scratch off and look ass bad (not badass) relatively quickly.

AJ

Thanks for making me feel Macho about going with the Silver HTC One! :D

Sort of goes both ways once VoLTE/LTE is fully built out among all four major carriers (assuming your phone supports the band, of course), no? In four years, it sounds like unlocked handsets will be in much greater demand.

It's worth being said that Sprint is probably going to be the last carrier in the US to embrace VoLTE.

It's worth being said that Sprint is probably going to be the last carrier in the US to embrace VoLTE.

To be clear, embracing VoLTE and converting to VoLTE are two very different outcomes.

AJ

• Like 1

To be clear, embracing VoLTE and converting to VoLTE are two very different outcomes.

AJ

Some further explanation might be warranted.

I just don't see a big need for Sprint to rush anything on VoLTE until they have 800 LTE implemented and Network Vision conversion largely complete. It may be beneficial to enable VoLTE after that, but I think Sprint has to get their network performance in order first.

• Like 1

To nurture my impatience for this phone, I feel inclined to make a list of what I'm excited about--coming from my Evo 3D:

• The higher resolution display
  • The painted-on quality of that display
  • The beautiful case
  • Lag-free lifestyle (at least vs. my 3D)
  • Google Now
  • The camera; especially looking forward to making good use of its low light abilities. I bet it will be great for concert photos.
  • Camera burst mode, and simultaneous videos and photos
  • HDR mode
  • Improved sound quality for recording videos; my standards are low here--it would be great if the quick clips I take at concerts don't sound ridiculously distorted.
  • The front-facing stereo speakers should make the occasions when I'm listening to music and don't feel like using earbuds or wired external speakers, much better than on my 3D.
  • LTE!!!!!
  • SVLTE
  • Hopefully better radio performance vs. my 3D--it would be nice to walk around my neighborhood and be able to stream Spotify.

Might be interesting, but I'll have to wait and see:

• Zoes
  • Video highlight reels
  • IR blaster features (I don't watch much television)
  • BlinkFeed

Things I'm not looking forward to:

• Losing the search button
  • No dedicated task switching button
  • Having to worry about how quickly that case will look bad when the phone is dropped on a hard surface
  • No expandable storage (though I have never gotten around to upgrading my 3D's 8GB micro SD card)
  • More expensive TEP (but my work cell allowance covers this increase)
  • The power button location might be irritating, but I'll have to wait and see.
  • No Android 4.2 yet.

Is there something awesome or terrible that I'm missing? I'm not too worried about the sealed battery, since I haven't had occasion to swap out the 3D's battery. I did have to replace my Samsung Moment's battery, but I had bought that phone used, so who knows what kind of abuse the battery had been through.

• Like 2

To nurture my impatience for this phone, I feel inclined to make a list of what I'm excited about--coming from my Evo 3D:

• The beautiful case
  • Google Now
  • The camera; especially looking forward to making good use of its low light abilities. I bet it will be great for concert photos.
  • HDR mode
  • Improved sound quality for recording videos; my standards are low here--it would be great if the quick clips I take at concerts don't sound ridiculously distorted.
  • The front-facing stereo speakers should make the occasions when I'm listening to music and don't feel like using earbuds or wired external speakers, much better than on my 3D.
  • LTE!!!!!
  • SVLTE
  • Hopefully better radio performance vs. my 3D--it would be nice to walk around my neighborhood and be able to stream Spotify.

• Zoes
  • Video highlight reels
  • BlinkFeed

• Having to worry about how quickly that case will look bad when the phone is dropped on a hard surface
  • No expandable storage (though I have never gotten around to upgrading my 3D's 8GB micro SD card)
  • No Android 4.2 yet.

Is there something awesome or terrible that I'm missing? I'm not too worried about the sealed battery, since I haven't had occasion to swap out the 3D's battery. I did have to replace my Samsung Moment's battery, but I had bought that phone used, so who knows what kind of abuse the battery had been through.

A 19 hour talk time

• Like 1

jsa - I'm coming for the HTC Design 4G and my list is almost exactly the same as yours.

• I too am concerned about the battery & it's lack of replacability. The One will be my fourth HTC phone and I always need to upgrade or swap the battery. I don't doubt their specs, but after about a year, my experience has been pretty consistent that my phones each have needed a new battery. My phone sits on a cradle every night serve as my nightstand clock, so I plug it in and charge it daily. Even if The One won't initially require that, eventually battery life with every phone suffers way before two years is up.
  • I'm also curious if Blinkfeed is going to let me use any feed I want to tell it or if it's just limited to the stock stuff (AP, ESPN, Engaget, etc.) that I've already seen on the video reviews of the phone.

Still excited though. I pre-ordered yesterday. The manager at my local Sprint store told me they will know mid-week if they will be opening early on launch day, but she said it was a real possibility. Corporate makes that call though.

I ordered a screen protector and cheap, soft gel case off Amazon today to at least have something on it until Seidio get's their Surface case and holster done or one you all on this forum rave about a different case. I'll take the screen protector with me and give it to the Sprint folks to install. Can't wait until Friday!

Peace,

DM

Edited by DavoM

I wouldn't be as concerned about battery life like you think you need to be. My iPhone 3Gs still gets about 80% of it's original battery life, and it's 4 years later. I still use it on and off, and it maintains a decent life without calling. I'm sure I can still get close to 4 1/2- 5 hours talk time out of the original 6 hour rating.

• The beautiful case
  • Google Now
  • HDR mode
  • LTE!!!!!
  • SVLTE

• Zoes
  • Video highlight reels
  • BlinkFeed

• No Android 4.2 yet.

There's dedicated task switching button btw... The home doubles as it if I recall correctly... Double tap brings it up...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2