HTC One preview thread (was "Any M7 takers?")

Feech

I only have a 16GB sd card in my phone right now so 32GB is more then enough space imo.

Im also curious about this tri-band that you are talking about. What is it all about? Is sprint even broadcasting on more then 1 band for LTE? What are the benefits of having it?

Im also curious about this tri-band that you are talking about. What is it all about? Is sprint even broadcasting on more then 1 band for LTE? What are the benefits of having it?

News reference: http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=11771

Sprint's current LTE service is in LTE band 25 (which is 1900MHz, also known as the PCS band of radio spectrum). It is what Sprint has traditionally run all of their services on (CDMA, EV-DO). The PCS band is okay, but best served in metro regions (high density towers, lower transmission range).

Nextel has traditionally run its iDEN service in the 800MHz range, known as the EMSR band of radio spectrum (and classified as LTE band 27). Sprint is turning off this Nextel network by the end of June 2013, and discontinuing the Nextel brand. They will then start upgrading their towers as a second phase of the Network Vision rollout to support CDMA voice and LTE in this frequency. 800MHz is great for coverage. Can cover great distances with lower tower density (which means their rural support will get very, very strong), and lower frequency bands pass through solid objects better (meaning better indoor coverage).

Sprint's partnership with Clearwire will also net access to the under-construction Clear TDD-LTE network at 2500MHz (known as LTE band 41). The network will target 'hotspots' around major metro areas and public spaces. Imagine stadiums, highways, and super densely-populated urban centers. Higher frequency doesn't pass through solid objects as well, requires greater tower density, and travels less distance.

All together Sprint will be running or have access to three disparate LTE networks. And Sprint's LTE networks are being rolled out with the latest LTE specification, called release 10, which enables a software upgrade to LTE Advanced (or is already technically capable? I'm not sure). LTE Advanced allows for carrier aggregation (better explained here: http://www.3gpp.org/Carrier-Aggregation-explained), which allows one device to connect to the three disparate LTE networks at the same time to increase bandwidth and transfer speeds.

Overall new Sprint tri-band phones will have the best possible reception offered by Sprint. They will be able to connect to 800MHz, 1900MHz, or 2500MHz LTE towers either disparately or together for best reception and speed. Sprint will likely have the best 'performing' data network in the USA until AT&T's network of the year 2020 is up and running (as AT&T at that point will likely have LTE running on 700MHz, cellular [850MHz], AWS [1700/2100MHz], PCS [1900MHz], and WCS [2300MHz] bands). But... its AT&T. So it will probably suck.

AT&T reference: http://www.extremetech.com/electronics/138150-fcc-approves-new-rules-to-make-wcs-spectrum-usable-att-begins-making-wcs-lte-a-reality

• Like 2

Even though at&t is almost twice the size of sprint I highly doubt they sold twice as many one x's as sprint sold evo's. I wouldn't be surprised if it was about the same between the two carriers.

Agreed, I would say about 3/4 of the people I know who us AT&T have iPhones, I don't know a single one who has a One X.
  • Like 1

News reference: http://www.phonescoo...cle.php?a=11771

Sprint's current LTE service is in LTE band 25 (which is 1900MHz, also known as the PCS band of radio spectrum). It is what Sprint has traditionally run all of their services on (CDMA, EV-DO). The PCS band is okay, but best served in metro regions (high density towers, lower transmission range).

WOW! That does sound really good. Sprint is getting better and better!

Sprint stated that they will start to release tri-band devices late this year. I'm sure we will see at least one phone with tri-band support before 2014. I'm banking in the Note 3 or the iPhone 5S being the first.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Lol the iPhone5S being one of the first.... Apple continued to be behind in this connectivity space all this time so if anything I'd expect them to be one of the last to incorporate it... Though anything is possible...

Looking to a 5in HTC phablet to be released later this year that has all 3 bands....

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Lol the iPhone5S being one of the first.... Apple continued to be behind in this connectivity space all this time so if anything I'd expect them to be one of the last to incorporate it... Though anything is possible...

Looking to a 5in HTC phablet to be released later this year that has all 3 bands....

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I would sure like to see an HTC 5+ inch phone. (I'm going to refrain from calling it a phablet.)

Of course, it all depends on when Apple releases the 5S. If it's in June, then no it won't have it, but if in September/October, then it is feasible.

Anyone else notice that they put the microUSB port on the bottom again?!?! I think I'm happier about that than a person should be.

You're not the only one. I loved that on my original Epic (it was on the top, but essentially the same), and absolutely hate the USB locations on my Arrive and Photon Q. In fact, this is such a big deal to me, that the location of the USB was a make or break deal with this phone.

For the first time ever I am torn between two different phones. Usually I am pretty certain what I will get and when but at this point I don't know if I should get the gs4 or the one. Initially I was gonna get both but decided to just get one then get something better for the second line later on in the year. Decisions decisions.

• Like 1

For the first time ever I am torn between two different phones. Usually I am pretty certain what I will get and when but at this point I don't know if I should get the gs4 or the one. Initially I was gonna get both but decided to just get one then get something better for the second line later on in the year. Decisions decisions.

i hear what you're saying man.. I just don't know which one to get! Both have 2GB of ram and the same on board memory, the radios look fine in both, the screens look sharp, and both have cool new features. I have gone through so many comparison reviews and im still not sure. Come April 1st im good for my upgrade so its up in the air at this point :blink:

i hear what you're saying man.. I just don't know which one to get! Both have 2GB of ram and the same on board memory, the radios look fine in both, the screens look sharp, and both have cool new features. I have gone through so many comparison reviews and im still not sure. Come April 1st im good for my upgrade so its up in the air at this point :blink:

As far as the screen quality goes I am certain the One has the gs4 beat, I can't stand samsung with this pentile crap but the 5 inch screen is more attractive to me than the 4.7 but I love the front facing speakers on the one. That's one feature I been wanting for years. Even though I know what they are trying to do with their ultrapixel set up I am still not sold on it and I really feel the gs4 will turn out to have a better overall camera experience. Damn decisions!!

• Like 1

You're not the only one. I loved that on my original Epic (it was on the top, but essentially the same), and absolutely hate the USB locations on my Arrive and Photon Q. In fact, this is such a big deal to me, that the location of the USB was a make or break deal with this phone.

The only thing I wish was the headphone jack on the bottom.

As far as the screen quality goes I am certain the One has the gs4 beat, I can't stand samsung with this pentile crap but the 5 inch screen is more attractive to me than the 4.7 but I love the front facing speakers on the one. That's one feature I been wanting for years. Even though I know what they are trying to do with their ultrapixel set up I am still not sold on it and I really feel the gs4 will turn out to have a better overall camera experience. Damn decisions!!

Indeed.. That camera is really messing with my choice. Everything else on the beast is just great. The streamline design and the beautiful full body aluminum case. Oh and one of the other things that i wish they would of added is the menu button on the bottom.. Really? What was the point of removing that??

The HTC One is on the bottom, and from the look of the S4 pictures its on the bottom as well.

Hence my point. In dock mode I want my phone to be horizontal (landscape); if you put the charging port on the bottom (in portrait/vertical orientation), that produces a goofy, asymmetric mount design. The Evo LTE mount, on the other hand, is perfect. Hence for me bottom charging is a step back to the OG Evo's design, and not a positive development.

Hence my point. In dock mode I want my phone to be horizontal (landscape); if you put the charging port on the bottom (in portrait/vertical orientation), that produces a goofy, asymmetric mount design. The Evo LTE mount, on the other hand, is perfect. Hence for me bottom charging is a step back to the OG Evo's design, and not a positive development.

I have a sticky mount so it doesn't matter for me but I will say that using the phone when its charging is a pain because I like the full qwery. The best position for the charger port for me would be on the bottom left side of the divice.

Pre-orders for AT&T start April 5, for $250 for the 32GB model.

http://www.engadget....c-one-presales/

Ouch.... $250 seems a little steep. I'm hoping (and am actually counting on) Sprint goes $200.

$250 is the price for the 32GB Galaxy S3 with a new 2-year contract. Its not that bad.

• Like 1

Doesn't make me any difference being that I will pay full pop for whatever I get next.

• Like 1