Network Vision/LTE - Washington DC Market

dstrait

Was getting 19.10 Mbps down / 6.06 up this morning in Lorton.  Didn't think to check what band.  My Nexus 5 is telling me it's connected to LTE as far south as parts of Stafford, but speeds aren't as good.  Guessing they don't have backhauls fully upgraded yet down here.

• Like 1

Was getting 19.10 Mbps down / 6.06 up this morning in Lorton.  Didn't think to check what band.  My Nexus 5 is telling me it's connected to LTE as far south as parts of Stafford, but speeds aren't as good.  Guessing they don't have backhauls fully upgraded yet down here.

Yep, things are slowly improving on the southern I-95 tip. I drive from DC to RVA fairly often and my phone is not dropping nearly as much. Data has also improved to where I can use iHeartRadio without cringing. Progress!

• Like 1

Picked up band 41 out in Catlett, south of Manassas. Wimax never made it that far so it must be NV2. It also looks like they put microwave dishes on the same rack. Guess they got tired of waiting for fiber...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This seems like a familiar post I am about to make, but we are a day away from July and still no LTE in Frederick. However some recent threads from Sprint Customer care makes a comment of upgrades ARE now scheduled for Frederick for sometime. I realize they can't commit to a time frame.

I thought maybe I read (or was dreaming) that the Frederick city council was a potential road block in this very long process??

I made a post a while back that i hit over 1 meg through put with 3G service and 2 bars of service.... That experience has never returned. Is it safe to assume this might help support the notion that they are ACTUALLY doing something in the area and that service fluctuations are normal with said service enhancements?

I dunno... I hope I am not trolling, but nicely complaining about this extended waiting time for LTE service in 21701. 

This seems like a familiar post I am about to make, but we are a day away from July and still no LTE in Frederick. However some recent threads from Sprint Customer care makes a comment of upgrades ARE now scheduled for Frederick for sometime. I realize they can't commit to a time frame.

I thought maybe I read (or was dreaming) that the Frederick city council was a potential road block in this very long process??

I made a post a while back that i hit over 1 meg through put with 3G service and 2 bars of service.... That experience has never returned. Is it safe to assume this might help support the notion that they are ACTUALLY doing something in the area and that service fluctuations are normal with said service enhancements?

I dunno... I hope I am not trolling, but nicely complaining about this extended waiting time for LTE service in 21701. 

I don't think you are trolling and empathize with your situation. Not sure where you heard the city council caused the delay, but there was a point where the last few towers to be touched were in City limits. It looks like those are now complete and the remaining towers are within County jurisdiction. That said, the wider delay is most likely due to back haul delays.

Frederick has really suffered through Network Vision. It is among the very last. So it's day must be near. As for the reasoning, it could be the city. It could be Sprint and its subcontractors. Or it could be a combination thereof.

I hope it happens for you soon.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

The problem with Frederick county Maryland is the city of Frederick within it. While the county is conservative, the city is part of the liberal progressive side that plagues mostly the eastern side of Maryland and so does it's rule making processes. The city sits right smack dead in the nexus of the county were I70@I270 being the major population center of the county with the rest of the county being rural. It is I that said the city held things up being that they finally issued the permits back in late March for the build out to happen, and I still stand by it.

• Like 1

The problem with Frederick county Maryland is the city of Frederick within it. While the county is conservative, the city is part of the liberal progressive side that plagues mostly the eastern side of Maryland and so does it's rule making processes. The city sits right smack dead in the nexus of the county were I70@I270 being the major population center of the county with the rest of the county being rural. It is I that said the city held things up being that they finally issued the permits back in late March for the build out to happen, and I still stand by it.

Not sure why this is going political, although that would be a DMV thing to do. That said, taking a look at the city permits most were issued within 15 days and only one took more than a month (Looks like it was ontop of a water tower and required an FAA letter since it is on the water tower. Having recently visited Frederick County (and City) for my sister's wedding, I can see why the city has different rules to protect the unique nature of it's urban core. There are very few, lively, small cities like Frederick left and if I lived there I wouldn't want big box retailers to come raging in.

Anyways, as mentioned, there are a multitude of reasons why things slowed to a crawl for a while. It could easily have been that most metro DC crews were sent south to blanket Richmond. The progress in RVA was truly astounding to me, basically the whole city was covered within a month. In a nerdy way, it was kind of amazing to see my GS4T go from unusable to more reliable than my work issued VZ iPhone.

I am also very curious who the primary backhaul provider is out in Frederick. I know Comcast would be the primary AAV, but something smells of Verizon....

Man Band 41 was amazing in the DC metro area today!

Picked up band 41 in Germantown, Gaithersburg, Rockville, DC and the DC zoo!

Even at the shady grove metro station in gaithersburg, I got 50mbps down and 14 up!

Love my nexus 5 and I can't wait until sprint deploys the 8t8r antennas in the DC metro area and small cells.

**at the zoo I was mainly on band 41 and band 26 and 3G was useable.

• Like 1

Man Band 41 was amazing in the DC metro area today!

Picked up band 41 in Germantown, Gaithersburg, Rockville, DC and the DC zoo!

Even at the shady grove metro station in gaithersburg, I got 50mbps down and 14 up!

Love my nexus 5 and I can't wait until sprint deploys the 8t8r antennas in the DC metro area and small cells.

**at the zoo I was mainly on band 41 and band 26 and 3G was useable.

I would hope at the Zoo band 41 would be great, 

I was supposed to go there this weekend but the starter went in my SUV. Bad time for that to happen on a holiday weekend. At least I know what to expect when I go.

Yup and if I lost B41 connection I picked up band 26. I was happy!!!

That is great to hear about the zoo as I am about to make a trip there.  My family went there last year about this time and the signal was horrible.  I think my phone's radio kept trying to find a better tower because my battery died in about 2-3 hours which normally lasts the whole day.  

pulled 57 MBPS in annandale, much faster compared to the usual 1-5 mbps I get on LTE. I guess this means I was pulling on multiple LTE bands/Spark? 

I've done a lot of googling and I cannot find instructions on how to tell which band I am using. (Stock Nexus 5) . *#0011# does not work (though apparently it only works on the first line?) Any ideas?

pulled 57 MBPS in annandale, much faster compared to the usual 1-5 mbps I get on LTE. I guess this means I was pulling on multiple LTE bands/Spark?

I've done a lot of googling and I cannot find instructions on how to tell which band I am using. (Stock Nexus 5) . *#0011# does not work (though apparently it only works on the first line?) Any ideas?

Download signal check pro or dial *#*#DEBUG#*#* and that will tell you which band you are connected too.

You were connected to band 41 (clearwires spectrum/spark) which have you those amazing speeds.

Download signal check pro or dial *#*#DEBUG#*#* and that will tell you which band you are connected too.

You were connected to band 41 (clearwires spectrum/spark) which have you those amazing speeds.

This worked perfect thanks!

I thought DC wasn't supposed to be a Spark market, though I guess technically DC isn't even officially an LTE market according to Sprint's maps either. 

This worked perfect thanks!

I thought DC wasn't supposed to be a Spark market, though I guess technically DC isn't even officially an LTE market according to Sprint's maps either.

There many areas that has LTE or spark service but it's not officially launched by Sprint. You should download an app called "sensorly" this app will give you a real time coverage map and you will be surprised how widespread Sprint's LTE service is covered.