Network Vision/LTE - Washington DC Market

dstrait

Anyone else been through tysons lately and suffered the fate of ABYSMAL data? I was in Tysons Galleria today and couldn't hold voice or any data (maybe it's a building issue), but cutting behind on International and Spring Hill to go to Walmart I had bars but couldn't push texts out or get any data whatsoever. I originally thought it was a capacity issue but my service was fine in Tysons 1, plus I was in the seedy underbelly of Tysons Corner using Spring Hill and Tyco...

YES! Not only YES but Hell YES!

The other night I was on International Drive, headed toward Rt. 7 [Leesburg Pike], and noticed that I could not make a phone call. I looked at my phone and noticed even though I had full voice bars, and full bars of 4G, I was not getting any usable data.

Personally, I think that it is a problem with a tower in the area.

I work in Tysons, and when I have a little time during a work day this week, I am planning on calling Sprint to let them know that there is a problem with one of their towers.

If I find out something, I will post it here to let you all know.

Sent from my RCT6378W2

So I work next to Tyson's Uno and had issues, but they seemed to have dissipated after a few new towers came online. Unfortunately, we are only halfway through the upgrade process in this area.

I know if the County of Frederick could make the city of Frederick just disappear, things would be easier as a whole.

I say the same thing about NoVA all the time... ;)

Although, whenever the silver line opens it will make my life much less stressful than siting in the assortment of moving parking lots trying to get home.

You asking me about Frederick? If so that could be possible, just if a permit was issued would it be a little quick for any activity to occur? I drive home down N Market street and it would be just a side loop around the block.

Yeah, only if you get a chance. I'm hoping for some Masa magic with work underway already...

• Like 1

I personally live in the Fairfax County suburbs, but from my own personal experience, the 4G is pretty good.

As mentioned above, though, there are a few places where I get 4G, but no signal. That is mostly in the Tysons Corner area.

Sent from my RCT6378W2

I'm planning on going to DC in 3 weeks.  How is the 4G coverage?  Is it spotty.  I don't want to base it off the map but on people who live or been to DC recently.

Where are you planning to be in DC?

Where are you planning to be in DC?

I'm going to be staying in Arlington about 1 to 2 miles southwest of Arlington Cemetery.  I'll only be there during the night as I have plan fulls days in Washington.  I'll be within a 5 miles radius of the white house.  Also, any suggestion while I am in DC from any local people there?  You could just pm me.  Thanks.

Well 1-2 miles SW of the Cemetery would put you near Shirlington, which is a pretty sweet place at night. Lots of bars and restaurants of varying style. There's a strip of restaurants and bars on S. 23rd St in Crystal City that are all very nice. Monuments, cherry blossoms bla bla bla. Coverage in Arlington is pretty good, downtown is a crapshoot. None of the buildings are very tall but they're almost all stone facades which doesn't do your phone any favors. 

• Like 1

Did not check for signal strength (was showing 1 bar), but LTE was unusable today in Westover (Arlington). Had to dial back to 3G and was flooded with emails. Only had 1 bar of 3G fwiw. Hopefully some serious improvements on the way, but that area was already pretty good...

Drove by a Ericsson truck with a Mole crew boring under Buckeystown Pike at Crestview Blvd here in Frederick MD toward the tower near I270 just a few moments ago.

• Like 2

Drove by a Ericsson truck with a Mole crew boring under Buckeystown Pike at Crestview Blvd here in Frederick MD toward the tower near I270 just a few moments ago.

Maybe they heard gold was there. In all seriousness though, I'd be shocked if there wasn't a fiber drop somewhere closer to the mall. Then again I live in my urban bubble.

Got back from my trip yesterday.  I did get strong 4G LTE singal in Arlington but no data was moving to my phone so I had to change my phone setting to use 3G only.  Coverage in DC was good.  I had a good time.  Got to see some really cool things while I was there.  

Maybe they heard gold was there. In all seriousness though, I'd be shocked if there was a fiber drop somewhere closer to the mall. Then again I live in my urban bubble.

Thats right outside of my work. I noticed that for a few days and they have flags that go up crestwood blvd past my work and onto the next intersection. I can tell you there is major bandwidth there at least what we have plus other connections.

MISERABLE signal along the beltway in Montgomery, between 270 and Silver Spring. Have not had a problem with signal dropping but traveling to Atlantic City and back was rough all over, this was just the only spot on the trip pertinent to this thread.

MISERABLE signal along the beltway in Montgomery, between 270 and Silver Spring. Have not had a problem with signal dropping but traveling to Atlantic City and back was rough all over, this was just the only spot on the trip pertinent to this thread.

Are you talking about call drops or data 'signal'? I haven't had many issues with call/texting, but data for that stretch is slowly improving. Backhaul takes forever in that part of MoCo. Almost feels like Pepco is in charge of rolling it out... ;)

I'd recommend upgrading to sponsor status and you'll be able to get a better picture of the current state of things.

Hello all - First post here but longtime reader in the DC area. Just wanted to share some recent findings in the area.

Within the past 3 days I've picked up band 41 in Gaithersburg near the Washingtonian Center/Rio Blvd, Greenbelt Metro Station and On H street between Union Station and 11st NE. Hopefully things keep going at this pace!

• Like 3