Network Vision/LTE - Washington DC Market

dstrait

• 2 weeks later...

I keep forgetting to screenshot my trips around the area. I can say that service was below average in Merrifield today, not sure if Sprint needs to play catch-up with the influx of people or there was work, but basic gchat and tweeting took 2-3x as long.

I keep forgetting to screenshot my trips around the area. I can say that service was below average in Merrifield today, not sure if Sprint needs to play catch-up with the influx of people or there was work, but basic gchat and tweeting took 2-3x as long.

Working in the Tysons Corner area, I pass through the Merrifield area regularly, and I agree that the service is spotty.

Also in the Tysons area, I have noticed that in a few places, that while I have a 4G connection, I have no useable data. I actually have to switch my HTC One to CDMA Only mode to get a data connection. Personally, I think that there may be a few problems with one or two of the towers in Tysons, but every time I call Sprint, they saw that there are no problems that have been reported in the area.

Working in the Tysons Corner area, I pass through the Merrifield area regularly, and I agree that the service is spotty.

Also in the Tysons area, I have noticed that in a few places, that while I have a 4G connection, I have no useable data. I actually have to switch my HTC One to CDMA Only mode to get a data connection. Personally, I think that there may be a few problems with one or two of the towers in Tysons, but every time I call Sprint, they saw that there are no problems that have been reported in the area.

Unfortunately, I work in the area and can confirm issues. Things were pretty rosy but have slowly degraded, so I am hopefully they are working on finishing a new tower and had to change things around. Now if it would only stop snowing here every two weeks, they could get some steady work done.

• Like 1

until Dc becomes a launched market, any problems with lte can't have tickets opened

I am in Dulles and Ashburn area and when my LG G2 received the Spark update last week I started receiving some good LTE (band 41 mostly).  In some parts of Ashburn I was getting almost 50 MB downloads.  So hopefully things are improving quickly.

So the long-awaited City of Fairfax updates. I took three samples along Old Lee Highway on a non-rooted nexus 5, running the .23 baseband and using the android settings data (not signalcheck).

• Shopping center at Old Lee/Main St (Walgreens, Ace, Qdoba etc) stationary in parking lot- 3/4 bars, -92db 48asu, phonearena.com took 14 seconds to load though
  • Old Lee in front of St Leo the Great, moving eastbound - All bars illuminated, -84dbm 56asu, grubgrade.com took 17 seconds to load
  • Fairfax Circle, stopped at signal - One bar, -108dbm 32asu. I headed east on 50 towards Pickett and lost my 4G signal before m.weather.com could load

Not the best performance by the network today. I'll take some more samples tomorrow and/or sunday.

• Like 1

More fairfax updates. Same standards:

• Inside Trader Joe's at Little River/Pickett, stationary - 2 bars, -101dbm 39asu. cnn.com article via android news app took 20+ seconds to load
  • Little River Turnpike, headed eastbound - 3 bars, -89dbm, 51asu. Did not test website, just did a screenshot (I was driving)
  • Little River at NVCC, headed eastbound - 1 bar, -106dbm, 34asu. Did not test website
  • Little River at 495, headed eastbound - 3G, -75dbm, 8asu cdma ehrpd. Did not test website.

Sprint still has plenty of work to do in Fairfax!

• Like 1

With the snow hopefully staying away for the rest of the season - let's hope they can finish NV build out here and along 95 south to Richmond.

I agree!

I also hope that Sprint can finish the addition of the panels for the 800 1x signal.

Sent from my RCT6378W2

I agree!

I also hope that Sprint can finish the addition of the panels for the 800 1x signal.

Sent from my RCT6378W2

It looks like we both jinxed ourselves. More snow heading our way next week. What happened to our relatively mild, mid-Atlantic winters...

• Like 1

It looks like we both jinxed ourselves. More snow heading our way next week. What happened to our relatively mild, mid-Atlantic winters...

Yup! This winter has been awful!

Sent from my RCT6378W2

50 years I have been living in this area, and the winters go from 1 extreme to the other. Whoever thinks mid-atlantic is only suppose to have mild winters need to stop listening to politicians.

50 years I have been living in this area, and the winters go from 1 extreme to the other. Whoever thinks mid-atlantic is only suppose to have mild winters need to stop listening to politicians.

Round 3 or 4 or 5 or something like that is on its way.

It was disappointing to get a confirmation of sorts from Sprints customer care on their forum that the Frederick, MD area is not even on the scheduled for LTE at this time.

Well it looks like hope is on the way. A permit was issued on 2/11 (App #: BP-14-00365) by the City for 30 W Patrick. This straggler also includes some Microwave antennas, so hope is on the way for a quick LTE deployment in the immediate downtown.

• Like 2

Well it looks like hope is on the way. A permit was issued on 2/11 (App #: BP-14-00365) by the City for 30 W Patrick. This straggler also includes some Microwave antennas, so hope is on the way for a quick LTE deployment in the immediate downtown.

Well shoot that does sound very promising! :) 

• Like 1

Any chance you can head downtown to see if any activity has occurred?

You asking me about Frederick? If so that could be possible, just if a permit was issued would it be a little quick for any activity to occur? I drive home down N Market street and it would be just a side loop around the block.

Well it looks like hope is on the way. A permit was issued on 2/11 (App #: BP-14-00365) by the City for 30 W Patrick. This straggler also includes some Microwave antennas, so hope is on the way for a quick LTE deployment in the immediate downtown.

How can I check permits?

Anyone else been through tysons lately and suffered the fate of ABYSMAL data? I was in Tysons Galleria today and couldn't hold voice or any data (maybe it's a building issue), but cutting behind on International and Spring Hill to go to Walmart I had bars but couldn't push texts out or get any data whatsoever. I originally thought it was a capacity issue but my service was fine in Tysons 1, plus I was in the seedy underbelly of Tysons Corner using Spring Hill and Tyco...

• Like 1