Network Vision/LTE - Washington DC Market

dstrait

Sprint updated their coverage maps today to make D.C. market show as a live LTE market.

It's funny because the coverage now wraps around Frederick MD like it a hole.

Gonna be pissed off if so, because in Pentagon City and Crystal City, LTE coverage is only at one bar except for maybe, one intersection. Huge problems with congestion, and B26 doesn't even reach as far as B25 :(

I never go through Pentagon City or Crystal City, at least not above ground, but I have solid B41 (and B25) on the Metro starting when I exit the tunnel at DCA all the way until I get to about Potomac Yard when it cuts over to towers further south.

There are definitely a number of towers in this area that have not been upgraded, even from 3G, but there is Spark service in the area from a number of towers.  I'm on it at home and at Beacon Hill, at work in DC, on the Yellow Line bridge across the Potomac, and near DCA on the Metro.  The only places I'm not on LTE at all are at Rose Hill Shopping Center and in the Metro tunnels where I'm on 3G, and the only places I'm not on Spark are near King Street and Braddock Road Metro stations, which do have B25/B26 LTE.  (The Braddock Road B26 holds on all the way through the tunnel north of Braddock Road, even.)

- Trip

I never go through Pentagon City or Crystal City, at least not above ground, but I have solid B41 (and B25) on the Metro starting when I exit the tunnel at DCA all the way until I get to about Potomac Yard when it cuts over to towers further south.

There are definitely a number of towers in this area that have not been upgraded, even from 3G, but there is Spark service in the area from a number of towers.  I'm on it at home and at Beacon Hill, at work in DC, on the Yellow Line bridge across the Potomac, and near DCA on the Metro.  The only places I'm not on LTE at all are at Rose Hill Shopping Center and in the Metro tunnels where I'm on 3G, and the only places I'm not on Spark are near King Street and Braddock Road Metro stations, which do have B25/B26 LTE.  (The Braddock Road B26 holds on all the way through the tunnel north of Braddock Road, even.)

- Trip

I can confirm from my digging that two towers have B41 LTE, and I think the B26 is still being optimized. Pretty sure the sites are awaiting backhaul, too because I never go above 10 mbps on the B41, although back in December I hit 60 mbps.

North DC area is a lot better, was up there to visit family, hit B41 almost the entire time. Speedtested 58 mbps and in the 50 range very often for miles.

Sprint updated their coverage maps today to make D.C. market show as a live LTE market.

It's funny because the coverage now wraps around Frederick MD like it a hole.

That is just cruel Sprint, just cruel!  :angry:  :td:  :rasp:

I really don't like being in the DC market with Sprint, we're so far behind. Heck, my calls always get dropped and have choppy audio due to poor building penetration and not enough spectrum.

Not enough spectrum isn't the problem.

I really don't like being in the DC market with Sprint, we're so far behind. Heck, my calls always get dropped and have choppy audio due to poor building penetration and not enough spectrum.

I've never had these issues either...

I work in DC and live in Alexandria and I've been very happy with Sprint since switching in August.  I have B41 LTE at home and at work.  The above ground parts of my commute via Metro are all LTE, about half of which is B41. 

Can't speak to dropped calls because I don't spend long periods of time on the phone except at home where I've been happily using Wifi Calling. 

- Trip

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Please let me know if I'm in the wrong thread. Or what I should do. I'm new here.

I've noticed Sprint 1900mhz LTE popping up around Leesburg, VA. Within the last week, it started coming up around the intersection of Battlefield Parkway and Rt. 7. Here are some other places I've picked it up:

- Around intersection of Gap road and Rt. 15.

- Down in the woods near Camp Highroad area (I think they have their own antenna, am not sure)

- Somewhat spotty coverage in Ashburn, VA and Rt 7

- Around the traffic circles at Gilbert's Corner off of Rt. 15 & Rt. 50

- On some sections of Evergreen Mill Road, closer towards Rt. 50

Is anyone familiar with the towers in this area? I looked on OpenSignal's map, but it doesn't pinpoint the towers for me.. not sure why. I'd also be interested to hear from people with devices that can pick up Sprint's 800mhz. I heard it's in town at some places, but my Moto X is not capable of picking it up :/

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy DMV'ers and other lurkers - I have a quasi-related to NV topic: DC Metrorail Cellular Service.

Over the past few weeks I have been trying to figure out what the current status is with deployment within metro stations and the tunnels. I submitted a question and gave a short summary/timeline to PoPville (a popular local blog on DC), which you can find here: http://www.popville.com/2014/12/dear-popville-whats-going-on-with-expanding-wireless-service-in-metro/

Sadly, no one really has any information on the project's current status. WMATA pointed the finger at the carriers and the carriers have been either non-responsive or do not have any information. To Marcelo's credit, he did respond that they are 'working on it.'

Anyways, just wanted to drop that topic in case anyone here has more information on any roll out plans.

• Like 3

Yeah, I wish I had info I could give you on that. I haven't been on the Metro in a while. Time to take a trip into DC and evaluate Sprint's coverage.

With the silver line, I gave up my car and commute to Tysons everday. Overall, I am happy to have the option again - my blood pressure and mental health have returned to normal.

Anyways, I am pretty sure wireless service has gotten worse overall in the system. My work iPhone (Verizon) used to have consistent service in tunnels and stations, but now it is pretty much as useful as my Sprint phone. Kind of sad considering five years ago people used to be able to talk on their phone from Shady Grove to any station downtown.

Let's hope someone is actually working on it and frankly, if it is now every man for themselves - Marcelo could pick up quite a few customers around here by have strong metro service. It really gave Verizon the edge in 2000-2009.