Note 2, you going to root?

DaQue

You going to Root?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to Root?

• Yes, I am rooted already.
    • I may root at one point.
    • Will never root.

My last phone purchase didn't make it out the parking lot before it was rooted..

Samsung devices are so easy to flash and even recover if needed. But that's not rooting.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

• Like 1

Yes, I have already installed an su binary.

Also, please don't do "free" tethering. There are so many better things you can do with a rooted phone than put more strain on the legacy network.

• Like 2

Why to root in general...

1. Back up app data. Like your hard earned score on Angry Birds.

2. Theming

3. Back up SMS Messages

Why to root the Note 2...

4. Have the ability to turn on and off the Camera Shutter Sound.

5. Add Call Recording Feature

6. Add like 20 other features, example: Call Log timer, Messaging settings (Signatures, themes, reminders, and more), Take a picture while in a call, play music while taking a picture, Reject Option in contacts. All simple settings you can easily change that really should be on by default.

7. Because all the other kids are doing it!

8. Multiwindow Mod (Allows you to open any app with the Multiwindow feature.)

• Like 4

Rooted, SuperSU.

I have to root right away for Titanium Backup. Otherwise, I lose all the progress in all my games. :(

I almost never tether. Didn't with the EVO 4G LTE, and haven't, so far, with the Note 2. Only when desperate; it's probably been at least a year since I did. But, these days, I can do so much with just my phone that there's almost never a reason to.

2. Theming

3. Back up SMS Messages

6. Add like 20 other features, example: Call Log timer, Messaging settings (Signatures, themes, reminders, and more), Take a picture while in a call, play music while taking a picture, Reject Option in contacts. All simple settings you can easily change that really should be on by default.

I know I can Google this (and will), but did you have to put on a custom ROM to get the Reject option in Contacts? Or, is it just a setting or a flashable Zip that can but applied to an otherwise stock phone?

Thanks!!

I know I can Google this (and will), but did you have to put on a custom ROM to get the Reject option in Contacts? Or, is it just a setting or a flashable Zip that can but applied to an otherwise stock phone?

Thanks!!

Mods are found in the feature.xml (located in "/system/csc/feature.xml") and are just a matter of enabling them.

Here is a flashable zip I made on XDA for all the features.

Download Zip HERE

FOR LJC

Most of the posted features I just listed can go as is on a stock (odexed) system. The multiwindow mod has to be a deodexed system.

• Like 2

Titanium Backup is my main reason to root as well. Newer isn't always better with apps. It's nice to be able to roll back and update with a few taps and wait for the new bugs to be fixed in new updates. Although I barely play any games on my phone anymore, it's nice to be able to save them in between resets and move them from phone to phone. And also get rid of the preinstalled Twitter, Facebook, etc garbage on phones. Never understood why they pre-install apps when they are on the market already. If I wanted them, I would get them from the market.

• Like 3

Mods are found in the feature.xml (located in "/system/csc/feature.xml") and are just a matter of enabling them.

Here is a flashable zip I made on XDA for all the features.

Download Zip HERE

FOR LJC

Most of the posted features I just listed can go as is on a stock (odexed) system. The multiwindow mod has to be a deodexed system.

I found that post, but thanks for the additional information and confirmation of the type of ROM!

Edit: And, it worked great. Thanks!!

Edited by hankbear
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I voted even though I don't have a note, I would have rooted and been running cleanrom on it immediately because Scott (different Scott) is one of the best developers out there IMHO...

I think development stopped on that one.

Sent from a little old Note 2

I think development stopped on that one.

Sent from a little old Note 2

Did he already jump to another device? He is still keeping up with the (Verizon) GS3 development.

Well... I see he returned the Note 2 and returned to the GS3

• 2 weeks later...

I will root eventually. I'm just not in much of a rush. I've had the phone for over a month and it's still stock...and I actually like it that way. (However, I would like to be able to use any app in multi-window).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

2. Theming

3. Back up SMS Messages

you can backup sms w/o rooting and it's free..called smsbackup+

• Like 1