Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

I havent been following this thread to much but what is the schedule for lte over 800? The reason i ask is i had a rep look up my tower on Glance at a store today for issues and we saw that now all the towers in south bend area have 800 lte listed as scheduled in next 3 months.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I havent been following this thread to much but what is the schedule for lte over 800? The reason i ask is i had a rep look up my tower on Glance at a store today for issues and we saw that now all the towers in south bend area have 800 lte listed as scheduled in next 3 months.

I could be wrong but that sounds more like 800 CDMA. 800 LTE should start showing up around the end of the year.

I could be wrong but that sounds more like 800 CDMA. 800 LTE should start showing up around the end of the year.

A tower could potentially be broadcasting 800mhz LTE right now, and we would have no way of knowing, unless we have a spectrum analyzer set up.

• Like 1

Noticed this yesterday in brownsburg, didn't realize the app did this. Usually just says 1x RTT

Same here on my Optimus G in South Bend, IN. Just started noticing it saying 1X 800.

No our towers all have 800 3g and 1x done it was listed above where it said lte 800 along with the dates those were finished.

I believe Robert has confirmed that LTE 800 installs should being in the Chicago and South Bend markets in the next three months or so.

• Like 1

I believe Robert has confirmed that LTE 800 installs should being in the Chicago and South Bend markets in the next three months or so.

There are probably even more. That's just all I know about so far. :tu:

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 2

I remember hearing about Sprint having less 800mhz spectrum in the Southeast than other places in the country... Could this by why we haven't seen a single 800mhz signal prior to the iDen shutdown in Florida? Also, will 1xA or LTE end up being the priority on this spectrum considering that there may not be ample spectrum for both?

I remember hearing about Sprint having less 800mhz spectrum in the Southeast than other places in the country... Could this by why we haven't seen a single 800mhz signal prior to the iDen shutdown in Florida?

SouthernLINC affects only the western portion of the Panhandle; the rest of Florida is unencumbered.

AJ

• Like 1

does anyone know if 800 voice starts out with no downtilt because I live 7 miles away from the tower and I use to get about 95dBm now I'm at 104dBm for about a week now.

800 will likely be set to its designed downtilt from day one. Both CDMA and LTE.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

so with iden shutdown in june and lte 800 in the next 3 months would the chances be good that markets like mine, that are just getting underway, get lte 800 off the bat? or will they still only do the initial 3 install types and then come back later and do lte 800?

so with iden shutdown in june and lte 800 in the next 3 months would the chances be good that markets like mine, that are just getting underway, get lte 800 off the bat? or will they still only do the initial 3 install types and then come back later and do lte 800?

In my mind, it makes sense to do both LTE 1900 and LTE 800 at the same time after iDEN shutdown and the conclusion of LTE 800 FIT's. So that's what I would do. However, I have not received any info about that is what is being done.

• Like 1

In my mind, it makes sense to do both LTE 1900 and LTE 800 at the same time after iDEN shutdown and the conclusion of LTE 800 FIT's. So that's what I would do. However, I have not received any info about that is what is being done.

makes sense to me to, saves money on a return tower trip. i was just curious as 4 of my family on sprint have upgrades in 22 days and i'm trying to decide how to advise them if it would be worth waiting for phones with lte 800 if lte 800 is getting installed right away with the upgrades happening around us. none of them are heavy data users so in the end it probably doesn't matter, just like to give people as much info as possible :)

makes sense to me to, saves money on a return tower trip. i was just curious as 4 of my family on sprint have upgrades in 22 days and i'm trying to decide how to advise them if it would be worth waiting for phones with lte 800 if lte 800 is getting installed right away with the upgrades happening around us. none of them are heavy data users so in the end it probably doesn't matter, just like to give people as much info as possible :)

Since all the Samsung 800 RRU's deployed to date already support LTE 800, the only thing required on a return trip is a LTE 800 carrier card and firing it up. So it's not a big deal really. But I don't see why they couldn't take care of it with LTE 1900 after June 30th.

I personally am not buying any more LTE 1900 only devices, unless they get really cheap on EBay. But as for contract upgrades, I'm now in wait and see mode.

• Like 6

800 will likely be set to its designed downtilt from day one. Both CDMA and LTE.

Is that before Sprint accepts the tower or after. I'm using a non accepted 800 tower.

Is that before Sprint accepts the tower or after. I'm using a non accepted 800 tower.

They aren't going to set it differently between pre acceptance and post acceptance, unless the downtilt was set incorrectly. The 800 site you're getting service from is probably set where it is going to be set, unless interference results in the future and needs to be adjusted.

Robert

• Like 1

So is it still true that 800 mhz cdma and LTE will not be deployed on every tower? I hope thats not true...maybe will downtilt control you can have 800 mhz cdma and LTE at every tower.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

So is it still true that 800 mhz cdma and LTE will not be deployed on every tower? I hope thats not true...maybe will downtilt control you can have 800 mhz cdma and LTE at every tower.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

As far as I know the plan has always been to have 800 CDMA on most every tower, but 800 LTE on just something like 80% of the towers. I could be remembering that wrong. With the increased range, you won't notice that it's not on every tower.

As far as I know the plan has always been to have 800 CDMA on most every tower, but 800 LTE on just something like 80% of the towers. I could be remembering that wrong. With the increased range, you won't notice that it's not on every tower.

I thought I read on this forum that both CDMA and LTE at 800 would be on 80% of the towers due to potential interference. If it was just LTE on 80% of the towers and CDMA at every tower that would make it even less sense. I think CDMA has a stronger airlink than LTE so it won't travel as far. I was just wondering with proper downtilt, can that be mitigated to the point where you can have 800 CDMA and LTE at every tower? If that is possible, I don't see why Sprint wouldn''t do that because it will make each Network Vision tower very robust with capacity.

• Like 1

I thought I read on this forum that both CDMA and LTE at 800 would be on 80% of the towers due to potential interference. If it was just LTE on 80% of the towers and CDMA at every tower that would make it even less sense. I think CDMA has a stronger airlink than LTE so it won't travel as far. I was just wondering with proper downtilt, can that be mitigated to the point where you can have 800 CDMA and LTE at every tower? If that is possible, I don't see why Sprint wouldn''t do that because it will make each Network Vision tower very robust with capacity.

Sprint is deploying roughly 80% 800MHz for budget reasons. They think it's a waste of money to deploy on 100% of sites with 800 as it is more than capable to serve two PCS cells in many urban places. And they will go back and fill in 800 in these 20% when and if extra capacity is needed. So the goal is 100% 800 coverage in urban areas, but not 100% sites having it.

It's not an interference issue, as they can downtilt and reduce power to mitigate interference in most instances.

In some places they are deploying near 100%. Like in Chicago. They desperately need the capacity there. And in other markets, more 800 can be added for capacity as needed.

Sprint is deploying roughly 80% 800MHz for budget reasons. They think it's a waste of money to deploy on 100% of sites with 800 as it is more than capable to serve two PCS cells in many urban places. And they will go back and fill in 800 in these 20% when and if extra capacity is needed. So the goal is 100% 800 coverage in urban areas, but not 100% sites having it.

It's not an interference issue, as they can downtilt and reduce power to mitigate interference in most instances.

In some places they are deploying near 100%. Like in Chicago. They desperately need the capacity there. And in other markets, more 800 can be added for capacity as needed.

Thanks for clearing it up. I hope Sprint does near 100% 800 CDMA and LTE for NYC and LA as well . I think NYC especially as a city being mostly urban with thick buildings, I think its important to be able to get a signal indoors so hopefully 100% of 800 CDMA and LTE.