Network Vision/LTE - East Michigan Market (Detroit/Flint/Ann Arbor/Tri-Cities)

ReyBanz

Sprint Technical Care has issued a trouble ticket for 4G Data in the 48309, 48307 area (Rochester, Rochester Hills, Oakland University area and Auburn Hills) area. 

No report given as to what the problem is or the cause.     I'll post back if I find out anymore.    Thank goodness someone is listening at Sprint!    Let's hope they can actually fix what is wrong.  

• Like 1

They are doing some work out here in Pinckney... They added 800MHz panels to the main tower by my house and they should be activating it soon. I'm planning on switching my main lines back to Sprint once it happens. 

• 2 months later...

I've been lurking in this thread for some time, and I have a question.

I'm using SignalCheck Pro to help me navigate the mess Sprint has in my Macomb area. I was wondering if there's a post explaining the indicators shon after band number, like

B41² or B41 SC or B25² 10x10

I understand some, but not all, the nomenclature. Is there a list of their various meanings? 

TIA.

54 minutes ago, VoxLuna said:

I've been lurking in this thread for some time, and I have a question.

I'm using SignalCheck Pro to help me navigate the mess Sprint has in my Macomb area. I was wondering if there's a post explaining the indicators shon after band number, like

B41² or B41 SC or B25² 10x10

I understand some, but not all, the nomenclature. Is there a list of their various meanings? 

TIA.

In the app you want to tap on the three dots then Help.. and it'll detail the nomenclature. I'll suggest that Mike have it made clearer on how to find the info since it's been something has has constantly been brought up by new people to SCP.

TLDR: B41 ^# = GCI identified B41 carriers #1,2,3 & so on. Likewise with B25^#

B41 SC = airspan small cell / B41 MM = nokia mini macros

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

TLDR: B41 ^# = GCI identified B41 carriers #1,2,3 & so on. Likewise with B25^#

B41 SC = airspan small cell / B41 MM = nokia mini macros

Great, thanks. I have been on the website that shows up in Help, but somehow I've never found that glossary underneath. 

7 hours ago, VoxLuna said:

Great, thanks. I have been on the website that shows up in Help, but somehow I've never found that glossary underneath. 

One area that people often get confused on is the carrier count versus carrier aggregation. B41²  typically means Carrier aggregation but not always.  It does always mean there are at least two band 41 carriers at that site.  B25² 10x10 means there is a second b25 carrier that is 10x10 as compared to the usual B25 5x5, thus offers twice the speeds and is a little bit more resistant to interference.  Sometimes B25² 10x10 indicates carrier aggregation but typically not. 

That is confusing. But I don't know as much as I'd like about the radio interface, even though I have been hacking Android since the beginning. 

I constantly check the signal using SCP, since changing to Sprint a year ago. The outdoor signal here is so bad, a MagicBox v2 wouldn't sync with anything. In south Macomb County.

Go 3 miles up the street and it's the fastest DL speed I've ever seen, by far (including VZW and TMo). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On 10/11/2018 at 6:27 PM, dkyeager said:

One area that people often get confused on is the carrier count versus carrier aggregation. B41²  typically means Carrier aggregation but not always.  It does always mean there are at least two band 41 carriers at that site.  B25² 10x10 means there is a second b25 carrier that is 10x10 as compared to the usual B25 5x5, thus offers twice the speeds and is a little bit more resistant to interference.  Sometimes B25² 10x10 indicates carrier aggregation but typically not. 

I was pretty sure carrier aggregation was never indicated by SCP at all and you have to go into engineering screens to determine that. The superscript in SCP only indicates carrier number and nothing whatsoever about C/A.

4 hours ago, RCM said:

I was pretty sure carrier aggregation was never indicated by SCP at all and you have to go into engineering screens to determine that. The superscript in SCP only indicates carrier number and nothing whatsoever about C/A.

You are correct. I was just giving a practical interpretation based on current results in many markets. Unfortunately the phone manufacturers have gotten quite sloppy with the debug screens and they often don't work or don't work consistently. Network Signal Guru does report this accurately, but root is required and not all root methods work with it nor 100% of phones.

Does anyone know why in the Detroit suburbs, Macomb included and Rochester, where I live, that a once great B41 signal has all but gone away?    I used to get good reception on B41 and barely ever fell back to B25.   Now... I never pick up B41 (getting it is rare) and B25 is overloaded and slow.    

Edited by dro1984
fixed punctuation

• 1 month later...

I've been currently experiencing excessive roaming around SE Michigan Area.  I recently got Pixel 3 XL and I'm not sure if network issues or phone issues.  I am also experiencing while in roaming mode, my system time changes and is ahead by 5 hours. Last night, my alarm went off in the middle of the night.  I was confused, but when I looked at my phone, I noticed it was roaming.

Anyone else seen similar issues around SE Michigan Area?  Just curious.

I've chatted with Sprint Care and they reset the service on their side. But if the problem persists, they told me to contact level 2 technical service.   go figure...

NOTE:  I notice while roaming I'm on Band 2.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, puch96 said:

I've been currently experiencing excessive roaming around SE Michigan Area.  I recently got Pixel 3 XL and I'm not sure if network issues or phone issues.  I am also experiencing while in roaming mode, my system time changes and is ahead by 5 hours. Last night, my alarm went off in the middle of the night.  I was confused, but when I looked at my phone, I noticed it was roaming.

Anyone else seen similar issues around SE Michigan Area?  Just curious.

I've chatted with Sprint Care and they reset the service on their side. But if the problem persists, they told me to contact level 2 technical service.   go figure...

NOTE:  I notice while roaming I'm on Band 2.

That is T-Mobile LTE roaming.

I would guess that what you’re experiencing is probably because T-Mobile roaming is still rolling out in your market and handover params aren’t finalized yet. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

That is T-Mobile LTE roaming.

I would guess that what you’re experiencing is probably because T-Mobile roaming is still rolling out in your market and handover params aren’t finalized yet. 

Hmm.. Interesting.  Thanks for the feedback.  I will keep an eye on it to see if anything improves.

1 minute ago, puch96 said:

In SE Michigan area?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

No in the south east US, It is good now. Tmobile roaming for sure is your culprit, as you saw with band 2. It is a tower or cluster update. Takes time to get through the tubes.

I see. Well, I guess I'll have to be patient until it gets finalized here.

No in the south east US, It is good now. Tmobile roaming for sure is your culprit, as you saw with band 2. It is a tower or cluster update. Takes time to get through the tubes.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I see. Well, I guess I'll have to be patient until it gets finalized here.

You can go into Settings and disable the automatic time zone feature while the kinks get worked out. I had to do that last year when I kept hitting local sites that were an hour off.

-Mike

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Band 41 penetration into the terminals is essentially nonexistent and Band 25 performance is poor as the signal is weak. Wi-Fi is pretty good but that doesn't help much when you're boarded and waiting to take off. I haven't been at DTW in the last month or so thus I can't say how the DAS system performs but I hope it covers all 3 terminals. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am at DTW now.. I did a lot of walking and testing in the McNamara (Delta) Terminal and it definitely seems improved. I couldn't get B41 without locking out B25/B26, but performance was good when I did that. With no band locking it hangs onto B25. Appear to be three sectors, one at each end of the terminal and one in the middle.

1X signal is excellent and seems to also have the same sector pattern.

Upload speeds on B41 aren't great but just about everything else is good. Not sure why a couple speed tests were so slow, trying again immediately after got good results. I was stationary for some and riding the tram on others. See screenshots below.

I didn't have enough time to check the North terminal, sorry.

-Mike

437c52856706085bedebc285690adb04.jpg 0ac78a03ea51e0ad711ad8b6717b7b73.jpg

• Like 7