Network Vision/LTE - San Diego Market

ferhusky

In my part of Pt. Loma, because of the fold of the land, about 1 in every 3 to 4 calls terminate. This while sitting my living room. Very frustrating.

We have towers to the northwest and southwest only about four blocks away. But there is a dead zone by us. There are several other such empty areas about, I think we're screwed.

Do you know if the Sensorly maps update as more data comes in for areas already done? A lot of the mapping was done pretty early on in the LTE deployment here.

The data is averaged, so if someone mapped a weak signal 40 times, and then a new tower is brought online in the same spot that creates a strong signal, it'll need to be mapped at least 40 more times to darken the "signal."

Seems like Sprint will only build new sites only if a big client complains.

http://docs.sandiego.gov/councilcomm_agendas_attach/2013/Budget_131030_3.pdf

They did built one next to the North Division Police Dept.  No new site next to the border and it is awful next to the border.

Looks like Sprint paid to get SDPD on NetMotion Mobility software.  

• Like 1

Seems like Sprint will only build new sites only if a big client complains.

http://docs.sandiego.gov/councilcomm_agendas_attach/2013/Budget_131030_3.pdf

They did built one next to the North Division Police Dept. No new site next to the border and it is awful next to the border.

Looks like Sprint paid to get SDPD on NetMotion Mobility software.

Yeah, UTC has a bunch of new LTE spots. I'm going to see if I can track them down using Netmonitor.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi capacity probably...

Has there been 4 for each sector in any NV location?  Isn't that too extreme?  I mean the temporary site they have setup at this location has only 1 antenna per sector.

Has there been 4 for each sector in any NV location?  Isn't that too extreme?  I mean the temporary site they have setup at this location has only 1 antenna per sector.

Not sure. I would assume a final configuration might include on 800/1900 panel (or 1900 in your location probably), a 1900 only panel (as found typically on hi capacity sites), and probably 2 2500 panels (if they have enough spectrum available in the area). It could also be possible that they expect to have the legacy panel initial moved to the permanent location for a certain time period....

Not sure. I would assume a final configuration might include on 800/1900 panel (or 1900 in your location probably), a 1900 only panel (as found typically on hi capacity sites), and probably 2 2500 panels (if they have enough spectrum available in the area). It could also be possible that they expect to have the legacy panel initial moved to the permanent location for a certain time period....

2x2500 would be wicked capacity!  

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone go to Comic-Con 2014?  From today's update, there was a site at the convention center that was updated with 4G.  Wonder if it was usable?

Anyone go to Comic-Con 2014?  From today's update, there was a site at the convention center that was updated with 4G.  Wonder if it was usable?

It wasn't. There was 4G signal blasting inside the San Diego Convention Center, but I'm guessing it was overloaded. 3G on the other hand was really, really fast (at least compared to my area in Los Angeles). ~1.5 Mbps down / 1.0 Mbps up. Enough for social media posting and downloading the Comic Con app.

San Diego seems to be getting better, not a whole lot of Band 41 at downtown SD or around the area though. I stayed at the Omni Hotel and I haven't really explored Gaslamp yet so I'll report back after my panels and Walking Dead Zombie Run at Petco Park is over.

More than usable. Then again I just went today and not any of the other three days. Last year 3G was unusable, so a definite improvement.  :)

And it seems like a handful of LTE sites all over North County from what I've noticed these past 2 weeks, can't hold on to LTE like they use to. Great 3G, and there's tons of network switching between 4G/3G more than usual from what I've experienced in Oceanside, Vista, Carlsbad, and Encinitas locations. Call quality was terrible at one point. 

Any of you that work, or live in the North County areas noticed this?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

From the latest updates, between 8/5 to 8/18 only 1 new NV 3G site completed.  Seems like only a few crews out upgrading the sites?  Upgrades has slowed down dramatically.  

From the latest updates, between 8/5 to 8/18 only 1 new NV 3G site completed.  Seems like only a few crews out upgrading the sites?  Upgrades has slowed down dramatically.  

I gave a detailed response to this in the Premier Sponsor section based on information I received recently.  It contains information not appropriate for the public section:  http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1412-original-nv-baseline-schedule-map-san-diego/?p=353147

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

All of Vista by the 76 was horrible all day. Not only poor 3G when there's service, but no data here and there, and 1xRTT only, switching back and forth while I was in the area most of the day. 

No data at the Home Depot in Clairemont. Pretty bad, considering how many people are in this area.

We are waiting patiently, both sites on Clairemont Drive and Balboa Ave needs some work asap b/c it covers at least 5 sq miles of populated area.  My sister lives in the area and I did check those sites every week and no progress.  

There are progress on the site at the Clairemont square, they have orange markings on the parking lot right next to the cabinets.  Just waiting on the back-haul provider to rip up the parking lot and lay the fiber.

Per Robert, there are many factors for the delay, but I can assure back-haul is not one of them because AT&T has fiber to both sites on Clairemont Drive and Balboa Ave.  As long it meets AT&T min requirement (power, conduit etc.), we are looking at 30-45 days install window.