Network Vision/LTE - San Diego Market

ferhusky

Speeds won't go up with one band.

Possibly signal strength.

If it's not backhaul limited Sprint could add another LTE carrier at some point in the future. No telling if or when that'd happen though.

Will speeds eventually go up again with one band, or this is pretty much it? Speaking of speeds, I walked 2 blocks down from where I work during lunch today. Did a speed test, and got 25.09 down/5.39 up. I walked another 2 blocks from that, did another speed test, and got 11.03 down/6.93 up. What's causing the differences?

LTE networks are dynamic.  ALL of them.  Including on other providers.  No one can offer a consistent speed anywhere.  In any given day my Verizon LTE speeds vary from 5Mbps to 50Mbps.  And my AT&T service varies from 100kbps to 12Mbps.  You can expect huge variation on Sprint too.

The only way speeds will go up on one band is if there are still sites to be upgraded in an area or an additional PCS carrier is added.  However, are you really unhappy with 11Mbps?  If so, you won't be happy with other providers, either.

Robert

Understandable now. There are a couple of sites in that area that need to be upgraded to fill in the pockets actually.  I'm not unhappy with 11 Mbps at all. Working with 10 other coworkers that have Verizon and AT&T, they use to throw out how Sprint isnt all this and that, but have been complaining a lot these last couple months about their services and data suck so bad in the area, unlike the great coverage I'm getting. One tried showing me a HD YouTube video last Friday on a Verizon LTE. It took forever to load, and when it did, it was choppy, buffering, and overall quality was horrible. I broke out mine, and got a compliment about how crisp, clear, and smooth mine was. 

• Like 3

The speed is really good. I prefer to use my phone at work rather than at home since the LTE in Carlsbad is faster than my home's WiFi.

The only issue is coverage. The only way I'm getting LTE at home is to go outside and walk a couple of blocks west. One Sprint fills in more of the gaps in the city, I'll be a lot happier.

Understandable now. There are a couple of sites in that area that need to be upgraded to fill in the pockets actually.  I'm not unhappy with 11 Mbps at all. Working with 10 other coworkers that have Verizon and AT&T, they use to throw out how Sprint isnt all this and that, but have been complaining a lot these last couple months about their services and data suck so bad in the area, unlike the great coverage I'm getting. One tried showing me a HD YouTube video last Friday on a Verizon LTE. It took forever to load, and when it did, it was choppy, buffering, and overall quality was horrible. I broke out mine, and got a compliment about how crisp, clear, and smooth mine was. 

So your still not happy with 11Mbps? I am happy I don't see 3G!  

So your still not happy with 11Mbps? I am happy I don't see 3G!  

I am happy when I don't see 3G AND have I have usable speeds. So anything higher as 500KB is ok, 1MB is good and everything higher is better. Verizon yesterday provided 89MB down on my Moto X in Bakersfield while driving on the Hwy-58 near Costco.

I am happy when I don't see 3G AND have I have usable speeds. So anything higher as 500KB is ok, 1MB is good and everything higher is better. Verizon yesterday provided 89MB down on my Moto X in Bakersfield while driving on the Hwy-58 near Costco.

I have no idea what I would do with speeds like that.

• 2 weeks later...

I read this article a couple of days ago in the North Coast News, regarding Sprint adding 9 antennas in La Costa, using a SDG&E tower.

https://thecoastnews.com/2014/04/cell-service-antennas-planned-for-neighborhood/

I read this article a couple of days ago in the North Coast News, regarding Sprint adding 9 antennas in La Costa, using a SDG&E tower.

https://thecoastnews.com/2014/04/cell-service-antennas-planned-for-neighborhood/

People are silly:

“No one can say that it’s safe. Obviously there’s not scientific proof that says it’s not safe, but there’s no scientific proof that it is. It’s an experiment, and I don’t think our families should be guinea pigs,” said Karen Latiano, who lives near the planned site.

Forgot to add above, but this afternoon in Oceanside on N. River Rd, there are 3 flagpole sites (side by side) that are visible behind the walls of Manheim car auction facility that's about a mile from where I live. One is Sprint, Verizon, and not sure who the 3rd is. While driving by, I noticed the tops were removed from all 3 sometime today. I was wondering if work is finally going to begin at that site soon.

People are silly:

“No one can say that it’s safe. Obviously there’s not scientific proof that says it’s not safe, but there’s no scientific proof that it is. It’s an experiment, and I don’t think our families should be guinea pigs,” said Karen Latiano, who lives near the planned site.

I know of Sprint 2 sites in Oceanside in a crowded residential area, that has antennas hanging from power lines. 

9 Antennas?

Why would they need 9 antennae when 8T8R and NV 1.0 requires 6.. hmm

People are silly:

:wacko:  :roflmao:

People are silly:

Reminds me of anti-vaxxers

Many other sites getting 9. Not sure why.

http://docs.sandiego.gov

citybulletin_publicnotices/CEQA_appeal/NORA%252002-18-14%2520Sprint%2520Southbay%2520Expressway.pdf

Strange. Keep an eye on the sky and report back if you see these be installed.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Sent from my Nexus 5

There are more but just got to look for them.  Possible high capacity sites with the 8T8R.

This site has 15?  How in the world.  http://docs.sandiego.gov/citybulletin_publicnotices/CEQA_appeal/NORA%25207-17-13%2520%2520Sprint%2520Weatherhill%2520LTE.pdf

Someone drive out there and see what is there.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Here is a site with 9.  Most legacy Sprint sites have existing 9 antennas.  They are to replace 3, one per sector and with existing entitlement for 2 each sectors.  In total amount of 9.  No 8T8R yet.  Make sense now that all permits was to include the entitlement as most of these permits are good for 36 months.

http://www.sandiego.gov/planning-commission/pdf/pcreports/2014/pc14013.pdf

Here is another one for 12 attennas.  They are putting in (4) 800/1900 antennas per sector.  Why is that?  The drawing shows 4 each sector.  Weird.

http://www.sandiego.gov/planning-commission/pdf/pcreports/2014/14010.pdf